- - - - -

Racing in Colombia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,845 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:22

We had an all-Columbian podium this weekend in the Houston IndyCar race with Huertas in front of Montoya and Munoz. We also have Saavedra in IndyCar. There are some talents around in different Formula Racing series, like Leal in GP2, Tunjo in WSbR and Chaves in Indy Lights.

Why are there so many talented Columbian Racing drivers now?

I don't know anything about Racing in Columbia. I know in Brazil there are many tracks and many racing series, but what's the case in Columbia?

Are there also some racing series in Columbia?

Are there good race tracks in Columbia?

Who spend the money there for the drivers to race?

Edited by HistoryFan, 30 June 2014 - 10:23.

Advertisement

#2 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:23

Colombia does not have a very strong national racing scene. There is only one permanent circuit, the Autódromo de Tocancipá, which opened about 40 km north of Bogotá in 1982. There is a national championship, the Campeonato Nacional de Automovilismo (CNA), and a domestic touring car series called TC2000 Colombia. It seems both currently race exclusively on the Tocancipá circuit, using several different layouts.

Without checking any further though, I'd say most or all of the Colombian drivers you mentioned have been racing in Europe and the US for years.

#3 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:37

Why are there more drivers from Colombia now than ever before?
Montoya.

Before him very few people knew about F1. Like in Spain with Alonso.

#4 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,803 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 19:18

I suppose the Colombian State and maybe some private companies are investing in supporting young drivers in international motor racing, like Venezuela did until not so long ago (and still does with Maldonado in F1). Having an almost non existent national racing scene also helps as all the potential money goes to international competition.