Photo

Castle Combe Grand National Classic Parades

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:32

Had the great pleasure of attending and riding in the parades at Castle Combe on the weekend of 21/22 June. The meeting was an absolute pleasure

to be at, much enhanced by spending the weekend in the company of Phil Murfin (thanks for the bike Phil), Bill Marks and his son, Nigel Rollason and last

but no least Mick (sorry Mick don't know your surname)

The weather could not have been better and I was able to meet up and chat with a few old farts I hadn't seen for a while, in some cases a great while!

I would like to thank the organisers for including the parades on the programme, the spectators for their enthusiasm and most of all Phil for allowing me

to ride his bike and the rest of the gang for helping me out at times and for making the weekend such an enjoyable one.

Two 125 Hondas, one circuit with 48yrs between, I enjoyed all the miles ridden in between :)

Both photos courtesy of Bill Riley

img069copy_zpsb654526d.jpg

2014 Castle Combe

img067copy_zps3e0a1034.jpg

1966 Castle Combe

Advertisement

#2 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 20:22

Rod , it was an absolute pleasure to be involved with all of you again , and I have loads of pictures of the occasion on my FB account ..................but moving them here is beyond me I think , yes , it was a weekend I shall never forget ...............as if we had all turned the clock back about 33 years ..........it was certainly the first time Bill and I been to Castle Combe since 1981  :well:  and about 40 years for Nigel !!.

The whole weekend went like clockwork , with plenty of help from Mick Coombe ( exclubracer on here ) , until Bill's final lap , when #2 350g decided that the water temperature sender user housing split ---- an old weld giving way !!!, but hey-ho , that was small beer in exchange for what we enjoyed !!! 

We are all at Mallory for the Bike Bonanza next weekend , all parading on the Sunday in the Past Masters , and look forward to meeting a few more old farts !! :rolleyes:   :up:   :p   :wave:

#3 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:26

Agree with Rod and Phil, a fantastic weekend and well done to Rod, Nigel and Bill in showing that these bikes can still be ridden in the way they were meant to be!

Looking forward to seeing you all again at Mallory :up:

Mick Coombe.

p.s. Pity that when they named Castle Combe they got the spelling wrong :(

#4 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:48

Hi Phil :wave:

I'd love to see some of the photos, but I'm not on Facebook  :( (don't really want to be!).

Surely I'm not the only one on the planet not a-Facebookin'    :confused:  !

#5 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 15:07

Hi Barry , you really must .................if only to look at many thousands of piccies , and plenty of postings , some intelligent , some not , some funny , some not , you know , like it used to be on here..................... :well:

I'm coming to Aberdare , catch up with you there ?? , Mr Landeg told me he was going to try and get you out and about a bit more   ;)   :wave:

Edited by fil2.8, 02 July 2014 - 15:10.

#6 Yendor

Yendor

• 519 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 15:18

I'd love to see some of the photos, but I'm not on Facebook  :( (don't really want to be!).

You are not alone :)

#7 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 15:27

seems there are now 2 of you .............. :kiss:

but , I have to say there are a LOT of idiots , cyber bullies , know-it-all's etc , which , I suppose with the amount of members you are bound to get  :mad: , but you weed out those you prefer not to speak/answer to :up:

#8 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 16:14

Mr Landeg told me he was going to try and get you out and about a bit more.   

:rotfl:     !!

Aberdare?   Of course :up: !

#9 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 16:57

:rotfl:     !!

Aberdare?   Of course :up: !

Told me he was buying a Triple ........................... :confused:

#10 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 22:53

Isn't Facebook where 14 year old girls talk about each other? :D

#11 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 13:56

Told me he was buying a Triple ........................... :confused:

Yes, he's still on about getting one! After checking out a few used ones, he's looking into the possibility of a new build for next year.  

You might catch up with him at Aberdare if you are going. 

:rotfl:       :clap:

#12 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 16:24

Yes , as has happened here , a few short years ago ................, which was why a lot of regular posters left here , most never to return , Robin  :well:  , and no , it was not a question of ' good riddance ' as their combined imput/wit/wisdom is now missing  :rolleyes:

Facebook , I agree , is not for everyone , there are a lot more members , ie , i'm admin on 4/5 sites , the ' keep 2-strokes alive ' has 16.624 members , some young 50cc lads , whose spelling is text type  :mad: , but , at least they have an interest . The Motorcycle Racing Nostalgia site has 5468 members , and even the ' Honda Racing 2-Strokes ' has 1223 members , How many members on here ?? .............and how many postings daily  are there ?? , sometimes none for 2/3 days  :well:

Yes , Barry , I will be at Aberdare , both days , staying at the good old Premier Inn again .................BTW , I have just become a ' friend ' to Gordon Pantall.................on Facebook !!!!

Each to their own , but don't knock it , until you try it !!!!  :kiss:   :wave:

Edited by fil2.8, 03 July 2014 - 20:42.

#13 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 19:48

You've almost convinced me about Facebook Phil, but there seems to be so many demands on my time already these days (12 hour shifts, etc) that the last thing I need right now is to get hooked on another forum! Never mind - I'm retiring in about two-and-a-bit years, so might have a look then! 

Gordon will probably be at Aberdare (most likely the Sunday). Any chance you can get Bill or Rob to come? Or maybe Rod or Nigel?  

Hey Yendor - it's a good day out if you fancy :)