Photo

NSW Speedway Act

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:36

This Act of the NSW Parliament was enacted in 1958 following the death of two spectators at Mount Panorama when a car crashed into the crowd, and also some Sydney Showground Speedway deaths.

It was originally the Speedway Public Safety Act and its main aim was to tighten the safety of spectators. 

It is now the Motor Vehicle Sports (Public Safety) Regulation.

One of the sections that I found interesting is that you have to be 16 years old to enter the Pit Area.

I can recall it was enforced in the 60's, when it impacted me, particularly at Warwick Farm.

Nowadays it does not appear to be enforced as anyone and everyone can wander around the pit area, even though the limitation is still in the legislation.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:26

I once bought a copy of the Act...

But that's a very long time ago. They stipulated the actual dimension of posts in the fences, the boards, the gaps between the boards, distances spectators could be from straights and corners, lots of stuff.

When it comes to the 'pit area' could there be a distinction between the 'paddock' and the 'pits'?

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 16:28

Re: Pit Area, is there also a distinction between in front of the wall/counter and behind it?

#4 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 22:06

I came across this item on our National Library's Pages Past site.

From NZ Herald  25 March 1927

MOTOR RACING ON TRACKS

Suggestion of Abolition

Sydney March 23

In the Legislative Assembly the Chief Secretary,

Mr. C. C. Lazzarini, promised to consider

the abolition of the racing on Speedways, owing

to the frequency of fatalities on the tracks.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:08

It might seem strange to some... but the NSW issue was very strong because of a fatal accident at Penrith Speedway before the war...

The Bathurst tragedy and other incidents merely added to the NSW Police force's hatred of racing.

#6 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:34

Ray was the fatal accident at Penrith Speedway 1957/59 the incoming of the Speedway Act when one of NSW leading Midget drivers was killed? I also remember spectators involved in a accident at Penrith.

#7 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,656 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:09

I came across this item on our National Library's Pages Past site.

From NZ Herald  25 March 1927

MOTOR RACING ON TRACKS

Suggestion of Abolition

Sydney March 23

In the Legislative Assembly the Chief Secretary,

Mr. C. C. Lazzarini, promised to consider

the abolition of the racing on Speedways, owing

to the frequency of fatalities on the tracks.

This would have been in response to a series of fatalities at Maroubra Speedway.

I'm reading Clinton Walker's book "Wizard of Oz" about Norman Wizard Smith's world land speed record attempts in the early 1930's.

Several people had died in 1925 & 1926, including Leo Salmon & Harry Vaughan, who were in a Jewet which flew over the top of the banking at the north-east corner.

A motorcycle rider Sid Dutton was killed on the same corner in June '26.

Archie Turner had been killed at a hillclimb in Harbord Road in Brookvale in May 1926, so the papers were calling for the sport to be stopped.

Maroubra Speedway had been re-opened in November 1926 with floodlights installed for night meetings.

Smith then used the track to set several speed records in a Chrysler 72 named Silver Wings, & at one pit stop he, a man not known for swearing, declared it as "bloody dangerous".

Don Harkness, in a record attempt a week later in January 1927, had a rear tyre burst, probably from the abrasive track surface,

& rolled Whitey, his Overland car, & suffered a bruised hip.

A fortnight later Phil Garlick was killed at the north-east corner, the fourth to die there.

Then Freddie Barlow was killed, at the same place driving the repaired Whitey, now finally to be written off.

That was in late February or early March 1927, so the proposed abolition seems timed to react that series of events.

Edited by lyntonh, 03 July 2014 - 10:10.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,251 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:53

Originally posted by DanTra2858
Ray was the fatal accident at Penrith Speedway 1957/59 the incoming of the Speedway Act when one of NSW leading Midget drivers was killed? I also remember spectators involved in a accident at Penrith.

Daniel, Penrith speedway ended in 1940 or 1941. You might be confusing this with Westmead or Windsor?

Is Milan's NZ newspaper report about NSW or NZ?

#9 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,656 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:56

Daniel, Penrith speedway ended in 1940 or 1941. You might be confusing this with Westmead or Windsor?

Is Milan's NZ newspaper report about NSW or NZ?

http://trove.nla.gov...rticle/28062218

This report in the SMH in early 1926 shows the government's concerns were long held.

#10 wilga1

wilga1

• 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:58

Lynton, there appear to be many reports in Trove of the Governments concerns about safety.

I note one in January 1927 (not long after your quote) after the death of Phil Garlick at Maroubra Speedway, the fourth there.

The official response was "there is no machinery for the Government Control of Speedways in NSW, nor in England or the US.

Police are powerless to take any action for motor racing is not a public entertainment within the meaning of the Public Halls Act. Until specific legislation is introduced the regulation of motor racing at the different speedways must be entirely in the hands of the respective controlling bodies."

For some reason no action was taken for about thirty years. 

The triggers then I believe were the Bathurst death of two spectators, but more importantly the death of 83 spectators at Le Mans in 1955. This sent a shock around the world. I understand Switzerland immediately banned all racing ans still does. This led to the NSW legislation in 1957-58. 

The Regulations were last updated in 2010, and I still haven't found why the rule on under 16's is not enforced. 

#11 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:32

The Lemans accident was a wake up in many countries.

I had actually read that before about the Speedways act in part being a response to that. That and cars getting in the crowd and just competitor deaths nationally [and internationally too]

Though it did seem rather draconian and road race venues [or drags etc] can hardly be called a speedway.

Though venues in many states had to get their acts together to get the appropriate permits. That included promoters, sanctioning clubs/ groups  etc. Probably what led to seatbelts and rollbars, especially on midgets that killed more than their fair share. road racing was 10 or 12 years behind on that. It amazes me that top class racing did not have seat belts in the late 60s,, and tintops racing without roll over protection. 

In hindsight Maroubra was insane. Personally I still think many forms of motorsport are. motorcycle, rallying etc etc stll scare me. I have been involved or watch them but unlikely ever to do it now. I did a few very basic club rallys in the early 70s. And I am a lousy motorcycle rider!

Though many think that road racing in general is insane, or any oval racing on dirt or bitumen. Both of which I will do inside a rollcage with decent belts. Open wheel road racing interests me, and is probably quite safe though I can resist! Though I have driven a few [slower] open wheelers in private practice which on occasion can be more dangerous than at a race meet where there is more officials, firies and medical help. Though less other cars in close proximity.

#12 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:34

http://trove.nla.gov...rticle/28062218

This report in the SMH in early 1926 shows the government's concerns were long held.

The format of newspapers then. They had news! Even on the front page, now reserved for pretty ladies or footballers and adverts ofcourse

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 04 July 2014 - 09:34.

#13 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 21:17

Ray thanks for the correction, I was thinking of Westmead anyway it was all so long ago, what I do remember is the added cost it caused promoting Clubs to update in Complinance to meet the Act,s Standards.