• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:36

sp05_big.jpg

Formula Indycar World Championship Round 11: Pocono IndyCar 500 Fueled by Sunoco

Things you should know

Track length: 2.5 miles

Number of turns: Four Three haha most tracks have four turns!

Track record: 222.6mph (Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy)

Number of times Juan Montoya has raced here: 14

Number of times the rest of the field has raced here put together: 19

GW_Stuart-CT-6437.jpg

The Roger Penske of his day.

Ultra compressed superlight race schedule in association with Will Power's suspension

Saturday, 5 Jul

10.00-11.00: Indycar practice 1

12.30-13.15: Indy Lights qualifying

13.30-14.30: Indycar practice 2

15.45: Indy Lights race

17.00-18.15: Indycar qualifying

Sunday, 6 July

13.00: Poco-go

15.45-ish: Poco-stop

How Tricky Was My Triangle?

You may have gathered that Pocono Raceway is a Proper Racetrack in a Proper Location. It's never going to produce a last-lap wheel-banging thriller, it's in the middle of Pennsylvania's third most notable mountain range (which is one way of saying “nowhere”), and it's neither high-banked, 1.5 miles long nor built as a response to the 1990s NASCAR boom. The less said about the tracks built during the 1990s CART boom the better.

Or maybe not! To my untutored, ignorant, never-even-been-there eye, it reminds me like nothing so much as the old Rio oval raced at by Andretti, Zanardi, Moore and co between 1996 and 2000. Wide, little banking in places, different corners, a slightly road coursey feel to something that nonetheless only turns in one direction. No tyre barriers admittedly but it makes a lot more sense to me than trying to imagine an Indy-Trenton-Milwaukee chimaera.

I tried to get into the spirit of your average 1970s Indy fanatic with a pin-up Chris Economaki on his bedroom wall and drew up a track combining the three classic European circuits. Come to think of it it looks like the only-slightly-less-imaginary Sochi track.

2vu0fbl.jpg

(Thanks to the possibly defunct Racingcircuits.net for this)

What else is tricky about it? The distance! It's 500 miles long – last year it ran to only 400 at the understandable insistence of ABC, whose commentary duo of Eddie Cheever and Scott Goodyear provided enough awkward silence to increase its mental distance to a combined Indy 500, Coca Cola 600 and episode of Midweek Motorsport on an F1-free week.

What's not tricky? The scheduling! By a blind bit of coincidence there's NO football, NO British Grand Prix and NO Daytona to clash with. Maybe a bit of Wimbledon if it runs past 6pm, although given the rules of tennis technically the Wimbledon final can clash with Toronto, Iowa and the 2015 Indy 500 too.

Thomas_Jefferson_by_Rembrandt_Peale_1805

May have been a NASCAR fan.

Vitesse2 Powerball Round

Pennsylvania's own Sunoco Incorporated is sponsoring, sorry, fueling, this race. This is likely to push mentions of America's favourite racing fuel into the low millions.

Sunoco aside, this race – the Pocono IndyCar 500 – has the lamest name I think I've ever heard. You can't have an Indy 500 and then an Indycar 500 a month later! This is like calling it Texas-style BBQ sauce because the factory's in Glasgow. The following Saturday's race is sponsored by a carbohydrate-rich kind of grass, and it's still not as lame as this.

lgben.jpg

Would've turned up at Indy with a diesel.

Independence Day!

You've got that right! Like the Indy 500 which is on Memorial Day and the 500-miler at Fontana which comes on or close to Labor Day, the Pocono 500 falls on Independence Day weekend. Independence Day commemorates the day lots of American lawyers got together to write some fancy legalese and then celebrated by getting to work on writing some more fancy legalese.

Alexander-Hamilton-vs-Aaron-Burr.jpg

Would probably have been team owners.

This week in Indycar

Former (or is that current?) Panther Racing boss John Barnes is now suing the United States of America. Graham Rahal, fresh from destroying everything in the world, has a new one-off National Guard livery. I like this one! And (also from Racer.com, because no one else does Indycar news), Marshall Pruett has a nice small story about the suspension failure suffered by Will Power last weekend. Something about a dodgy shim.

Two non-stories: Carlos Huertas appears to have been caught with his car being not at all right. Nothing's going to be done about it so you sort of wonder why they brought it up in the first place. And based on attendance figures for an event that hasn't happened yet, the Pocono 500 is in Serious Trouble. Come on, they'll be plenty of time to discuss the empty stands during the race.

The championship? Four drivers left in it probably. Will Power is a win ahead of Helio and Hunter-Reay, and a win-and-a-half ahead of Pagenaud (who has been on the verge of making a Big Career Announcement for it seems 18 months now). Course in 500-mile double points terms they're all separated by less than one victory so it's still pretty stupid to talk about the championship unless less than four of them do something foolish.

Montoya, who unbelievably enough is the third Penske driver in the top five in points, is probably too far back. He's looked in with a chance of winning the last three races and he was quick at Indianapolis as well. Knows Pocono, so he's probably due a breakthrough/re-entry. Other contenders? Marco was set to win until his strategy turned out to be not the right strategy. Hunter-Reay won Indy and was heading for something good last year till Sato did something that ranked as stupid and crass even for Sato. Ed Carpenter's weirdly the favourite for pretty much all the oval races. The big ones, anyway.

That's enough from me. I hope they all break down.

Edited by Risil, 03 July 2014 - 19:41.

Advertisement

#2 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 247 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 19:54

Future of IndyCar at Pocono in serious jeopardy

#3 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:13

Excellent opening post Risil.

I wonder, sometimes, whether I could do a good Indycar thread 1st post!  :well: hehe

#4 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:16

Excellent opening post Risil.

I wonder, sometimes, whether I could do a good Indycar thread 1st post!  :well: hehe

Take my word for it--Risil makes them look easy. :p

#5 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:33

Great OP Risil. :up:
Suprised the race is on so early compared to usual.
Hope for a good race on the tri-oval. :)
This reminds me of something.........

Song time!
Mytrack it has 3 corners,
3 corners has my track,
And had it not 3 corners it would not be my track,
It really is so boring,
It drives us all insane,
Something,something,something can't remember the rest!

That song was brought to you by my mind ten(ish) years ago.
Your welcome. :p

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:35

Suprised the race is on so early compared to usual.

Those are American Eastern times! Green flag should be some time after 6pm in the UK, 7pm in western Europe. Good way to end your weekend though, provided you're allowed to watch Wimbledon, the British Grand Prix and some other race your family/significant other has never heard of all in the same day. In the middle of the World Cup.

I'm driving up to Mrs Risil's parents in Wales on Iowa weekend. Step one of what's going to be an elaborate penance. :)

Edited by Risil, 03 July 2014 - 20:43.

#7 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 733 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:39

Alexander-Hamilton-vs-Aaron-Burr.jpg

Would probably have been team owners.

:rotfl:  :clap: Best Burr vs. Hamilton reference eh-verrr. I bow to you, sir.

#8 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:41

I am working away from home on the weekend, in a theatre I used to work at, and being my old boss and I are motorsport fans, we are happy to have lunch at 1 for the British GP and dinner at 6, where I shall attempt to educate him in the world of Indycars!

#9 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 20:47

Those are American Eastern time! Green flag should be some time after 6pm in the UK, 7pm in western Europe. Good way to end your weekend though, provided you're allowed to watch Wimbledon, the British Grand Prix and some other race your family/significant other has never heard of all in the same day. In the middle of the World Cup.

I'm driving up to Mrs Risil's parents in Wales on Iowa weekend. Step one of what's going to be an elaborate penance.

Yeah don't know if I will get to see this race as it will complicated. Qualifying for the Grand Prix can't be watched by all who are intrested until Sunday (although I plan to watch it in secret.  ;) ) meaning may end up watching the race on Sunday at a time that may clash with indycar (also chance of Wimbledon intrest from other people as well). I blame people who are interested in watching motorsport but "don't want to be watching motorsport all day" ):

On Iowa weekend I will turn the volume up to max on my ipad you might just hear it. :p

Edited by Sheepmachine, 03 July 2014 - 20:48.

#10 paulb

paulb

• 11,212 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:04

Thank-you for the histories lesson, Risil.  Could we see an AMerican Revolution this weekend? Another EC romp perhaps?

#11 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 21:15

Thank-you for the histories lesson, Risil.  Could we see an AMerican Revolution this weekend? Another EC romp perhaps?

We're fresh out of American rookies. Amateur American drivers, on the other hand... :p

#12 loki

loki

• 12,231 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:11

:rotfl: :clap: Best Burr vs. Hamilton reference eh-verrr. I bow to you, sir.

Burr and Hamilton? Being Indycar I thought it was Guy Trolinger and Elmer George...

#13 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:42

Burr and Hamilton? Being Indycar I thought it was Guy Trolinger and Elmer George...

Ab-so-lutely brilliant! :up:

#14 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:45

Nah, it was Hamilton. That driver from the West Indies.

#15 prommer

prommer

• 4,956 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:51

Lest We Forget...

#Murica #EagleGuardingHisFlagDrapedPileOfPoo

BrpGTa9CQAA5NUK.jpg

(via @bigdalsky)

#16 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,257 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:53

Risil, outstanding OP :up:   While I appreciated the votes in last year's poll and thank my supporters, yours was truly better and now you've taken them to another level.  Poco-go, Poco-stop :lol:  love it!

Which means now - not even on my deathbed - will I be able to say: "Ha, I beat Risil"  Because I realize it, deep in my heart, it was a hollow, undeserved victory.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:27

915599_1598782940348028_1555367286_n.jpg

#18 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:27

A good looking car that'll tool around the back. 

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,848 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:11

Vitesse2 Powerball Round

Pennsylvania's own Sunoco Incorporated is sponsoring, sorry, fueling, this race. This is likely to push mentions of America's favourite racing fuel into the low millions.

:up: :clap: :lol:

sunoco1(1).jpg

[Memo to self ... do not use Sunoco mentions as a drinking game this time. Think of your liver!]

Advertisement

#20 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:10

The first Pocono 500 winner happened to reside in Pennsylvania and was appropriately sponsored by Sunoco.

B² photo
MarkDonohueIndy71fromDonFilz.jpg

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,848 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:51

As was this beauty. The TurboPanzer. 1500 horses. 221mph at Talladega. A proper sports/racing car.

Porsche_917_30_2.jpg

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 13:27

Wtf?

11-Shatter-Firestone-SS.png

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 13:54

Go Seabass!

#24 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 14:09

usa-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

#25 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 14:27

Wtf?

11-Shatter-Firestone-SS.png

http://www.gnc.com/M...ductId=35173786

Part of the sponsorship deal with whoever is making these diet and work-out supplements that date back to last year with Kanaan. 

#26 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 14:30

God, I love this country. America is simply amazing, despite that we are all fat, and rude, and racist, and violent. I would not want it any other way.

I celebrate AMERICA by supporting this nation's favorite driver, TAKUMA SATO. Who embodies American spirit by being a tiny Japanese man with a strange Japanese/British/Monegasque accent.  

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 14:36

#28 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,204 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 14:59

I approve! :up:  ;)

#29 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 1,980 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 16:43

i'll be there the 500 mile race at Pocono!!!! :wave:

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,185 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 21:22

Great memories from last year.

7c0484b94ea79e7d00540c3ae01e0bfd.jpeg

Our tour bus parked at turn 2..

Jp

#31 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:06

How come they don't show the podiums?  The end of the races seem very abrupt.

"so-and-so won, fantastic result, see you next week goodbye."

Not celebrating the winners seems a bad way to promote your racing series.

If I owned Indy racing I'd be a little upset about the lack of post race coverage of my races.

#32 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:31

And the truly sad thing was  they gave up on Richmond when they had crowds in the 50-55,000 range and slowing growing.

I cant help but think scheduling a major race on the 4th of july weekend  might work for nascar at Daytona  , but other series should realize  a lot family gatherings are usually goin on that might hinder folks traveling even 150 miles to see a major race at most any track..

Excellent OP  Risil   btw.

#33 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:34

I actually prefer the bunch of post race interviews they do instead...

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 05 July 2014 - 02:34.

#34 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:11

I actually prefer the bunch of post race interviews they do instead...

Maybe I'm old fashioned - but I like to see a podium.

Why can't they do both???

The more post race coverage the better in my mind.

#35 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:03

Maybe I'm old fashioned - but I like to see a podium.

Indycar podiums are a recent phenomenon, so maybe you're not that old fashioned.   ;)

#36 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:56

Indycar podiums are a recent phenomenon, so maybe you're not that old fashioned.   ;)

Leave podiums to F1. NASCAR does a winners circle, albeit staged as a commercial product. Indy does a winners circle supporting the Milk industry. For some reason, the whole winner's circle, podium or whatever has burned me out as a totally commercial operation, not a celebration, especially the F1 National Anthem masturbation. I was at Long Beach when Mario won driving in the JPS Lotus F1 era, and he merely pulled into his pit stall, all hell broke loose there, but not on a podium or a designated parking area.

It was spontaneous, and real.

Kinda liked it actually...Bernie may not have, the cops may not have, but we flattened that fence and were on pit row long before the last driver pulled in.

#37 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:37

Ok - (new to indycars.) 

So why don't they show them in the TV coverage? Seems weird that they don't. Otherwise what's the point?

#38 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,185 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:44

Last years podium was a hoot..

4e108ad541f3d8695de89f04fcb05279.jpeg

Jp

#39 Peat

Peat

• 8,845 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:47

http://www.gnc.com/M...ductId=35173786

Part of the sponsorship deal with whoever is making these diet and work-out supplements that date back to last year with Kanaan. 

Pretty apt, that. I find that protien shakes and energy gels make me #SHATter too.

Advertisement

#40 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,185 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:48

Race Preview

http://www.racer.com...ueled-by-sunoco

Jp

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:09

And the truly sad thing was  they gave up on Richmond when they had crowds in the 50-55,000 range and slowing growing.

I figure the reason had something to do with the gigantic repair bill teams were left with after the wreckfest of 2008. Remember Mario Moraes(!) looking really quick there, right up until the part when he crashed. Lot of complaining about short tracks from the team owners after that one. Series should've said STFU, control your drivers.

It's also NASCAR owned, which might have something to do with it. Few years ago it seemed half the IRL schedule was on ISC tracks, but now it's only Fontana left.

#42 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:03

They do a podium, they just tend not to stay with it because the TV cover ends pretty quickly. Like other's have said I'd rather see the interviews, and fresh out of the car, than a ceremony 10 minutes later.

#43 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:08

It will be the first all-turns-to-the-same-side race I attend in my life, and first Indy race since Mexico 2005!

Bought the tickets during the week and it does look like it will be empty. Sad.

#44 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,400 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:16

I'm driving up to Mrs Risil's parents in Wales on Iowa weekend. Step one of what's going to be an elaborate penance. :)

Don't worry, we do get TV reception out here, y'know!

Wouldn't rely on your mobile if you're out in the countryside though....

#45 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:13

I figure the reason had something to do with the gigantic repair bill teams were left with after the wreckfest of 2008.

It lost the title sponsor, as I understand it.

Practice stream is up: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Edited by Prost1997T, 05 July 2014 - 14:13.

#46 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:21

I cant help but think scheduling a major race on the 4th of july weekend  might work for nascar at Daytona  , but other series should realize  a lot family gatherings are usually goin on that might hinder folks traveling even 150 miles to see a major race at most any track..

Excellent OP  Risil   btw.

The 4th in the best time to schedule a race. People off of work, and in truth, most people don't do much beyond the fireworks for this holiday. Especially as the race in on Sunday the 6th. Means if you did any family stuff, that is done, and you're off to the races. 

Issue with Pocono is what is similar to other north east ovals. Like Loudon, Nazareth, it just doesn't bring the fans. As for Richmond, it was axed by the circuit. Even if the fans show up, money wasn't being made. 

Exactly!

#47 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 16:56

It lost the title sponsor, as I understand it.

Practice stream is up: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Actually all the reasons given played a part for the loss of the Richmond race except for the sponsor aspect .  I heard  Suntrust    was very happy with the Indy Car Race and only stopped  when RIR attempted to "poach" it for the Nationwide series which had lost it's sponsor and Suntrust  said it was IRL or no sponsorship of any race.

(  Take note since the IRL left  RIR has since cut seating almost 10 k as well and replaced folks in charge then )

Also at this point which ovals on the east coast or even eastern USA aren't own by ISC or an affliliated  crony of ISC?   Seems working with ISC is at this point a needed evil to deal with if IndyCar wants to race on an oval on the east coast region.

Paul

#48 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 17:25

Hmm, that's weird. Because SunTrust and ISC/NASCAR are buddy-buddy so it'd make more sense for SunTrust to become the Nationwide race sponsor than to dig their heels in over Indycar.

#49 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,204 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 17:58

I have some free time right now, so I'll put together some stuff for the Toronto thread if nobody minds.

Edit: Ah! I seem to be jumping the gun: I thought Toronto was next, but it turns out Iowa is next. How rude. I'll still do Toronto, I'll be able to make it more amusing.

Edited by Muppetmad, 05 July 2014 - 18:09.

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,723 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 18:16

I sold the Toronto thread rights to Hope in perpetuity in exchange for some pills he stole from a homeless person. You'll have to ask him!