Sergio: women better in the kitchen

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 22:53

http://www.mundodepo...4410726686.html

Oh Sergio what have you done again...when asked about susie he said...if a women beats you its bad, women are better in the kitchen.

Its spanish but i bet there are english articles.

Advertisement

#2 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:09

Apparently it was a joke tacked on the end of some positive comments about Wolff, but still qualifying good things with chauvinism probably tells you what he really thinks.

Disappointing. Lewis and Jenson said some really sincere sounding, non-sexist, inclusive stuff about Wolff in the presser today, a shame that is undermined by Sergio's silly jokes.

#3 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:10

Different cutlure + dodgy translation + out of context imo.

#4 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:11

http://forums.autosp...acing-comments/

Do we need a new topic?

#5 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:13

Women aren't better in the kitchen.... Maybe in the homes.

But certainly not in restaurants... Look at every Michelin Starred place in Europe or Americas. Alain Ducasse or Joel Robuchon for example....

#6 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:16

He already expressed his admiration for Susie. A female journalist asked him if he would liek being beaten by a woman (a joke about male chauvinism in itself) and he merely went along. I don't see that as an actual expression of male chauvinism. 

Edited by NoSanityClause, 03 July 2014 - 23:16.

#7 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:18

He already expressed his admiration for Susie. A female journalist asked him if he would liek being beaten by a woman (a joke about male chauvinism in itself) and he merely went along. I don't see that as an actual expression of male chauvinism.

Joking "they're better in the kitchen" isn't sexism? No need to say something like that IMO. Look at how well Lewis handled it.

#8 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:30

Joking "they're better in the kitchen" isn't sexism? No need to say something like that IMO. Look at how well Lewis handled it.

It is, but it does not by itself indicate that he is a chauvinist pig. I am jewish, and hetero, I have a friend who is gay, and catholic. We usually make jokes dealing with homophobia and antisemitism, yet none of us is either, obviously.

Was Perez naive not foreseeing the impact of such joke? Perhaps. But that's merely an infortunate comment. Just like Lewis when he said "is it because I'm black?", btw. He wasn't actually "playing the race card", he made a joke and it came all wrong. All I am saying is that Perez has so far made the same mistake, but nothing more.

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:33

Really tempted to say something just as generalising about Mexicans - OK, I'll refrain  :D

#10 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:34

Wait, hold up! An Formula 1 driver... With personality?, a hint of sarcasm and a sense of humor!  :eek: 

Not to mention we haven't seen how the conversation went down, the understanding of Mexican Culture, everything else he said until he had to clarify, the poor translation. 

But hey, it's Sergio Perez so... 

#11 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:35

Its a weird interview, he starts great saying how Susie is a good driver, defending her and how we shouldnt judge her by 1 F1 practice, then he finishes the interview with the joke. like, wtf

heres the video btw:

if you can understand spanish

Here's the full interview in english:

Checo, this friday we'll have a woman in F1 for the first time in 22 years, what do you think?

Yes Sussie, a great driver and demonstrating that woman can be in this tough F1 world, hopefully she can do a good job, its also hard to judge her work in 1 practice. She doesnt know the car, these cars are hard to drive, Silverstone is complicated. Lets not expect huge things yet.

But would you like to have a woman as a teammate? we are very complicated

No no, imagine if a woman beats you that would be too much. Better if she goes to the kitchen!

My take: he said it as a "joke" and didnt mean anything bad, but its obviously incredibly stupid to be joking about that. Specially him being a public figure :well:

Edited by charly0418, 04 July 2014 - 01:59.

#12 JTSaika

JTSaika

• 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:44

Yup, pretty typical Checo to me. The issue here clearly is not many people know Checo. This actually reminds me of a most recent event involving Us President Barack Obama. Or even that of every Jeremy Clarkson incident. Some people need to chill out. 

Edited by JTSaika, 03 July 2014 - 23:45.

#13 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:47

It was meant to be a joke, bar a very bad one.

#14 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:47

Thank god Lewis didn't say it.  The internet would have melted down.

#15 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 23:56

Wait, hold up! An Formula 1 driver... With personality?, a hint of sarcasm and a sense of humor!  :eek: 

Not to mention we haven't seen how the conversation went down, the understanding of Mexican Culture, everything else he said until he had to clarify, the poor translation. 

But hey, it's Sergio Perez so...

Yea, its Sergio Perez so obviously the whole world is against him. I mean, is there a bigger celebrity on the internet at the moment? I don't think so. Guy is a megastar.

Anyways, I'm always hesitant to slam people for something like this unless I know the context was indeed as direct as can be. I don't like stuff like this, but I also don't like jumping on a hate bandwagon without solid reasoning to. I've been labelled an awful person for this before, but I don't jump to the 'terrible person' judgement quickly and I don't think others should, either. But of course, if this was indeed what he meant, in full seriousness, then that's obviously quite bad.

#16 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,233 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:17

Asking a guy if he would feel bad if he got beaten by a girl is such a dumb question anyway. What is this, the playground? :lol:

But hey, if it'll get you clicks on your employer's webpage, go for it, I guess. :cat:

#17 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:19

Silly questions get silly responses.

#18 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:40

I dont even think it was a joke, it was a smackdown at the journo for asking such a stupid question.

#19 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 00:44

Yea, its Sergio Perez so obviously the whole world is against him. I mean, is there a bigger celebrity on the internet at the moment? I don't think so. Guy is a megastar.Anyways, I'm always hesitant to slam people for something like this unless I know the context was indeed as direct as can be. I don't like stuff like this, but I also don't like jumping on a hate bandwagon without solid reasoning to. I've been labelled an awful person for this before, but I don't jump to the 'terrible person' judgement quickly and I don't think others should, either. But of course, if this was indeed what he meant, in full seriousness, then that's obviously quite bad.

From a female perspective the get out of jail free card for "just joking" kind of grates. Women in the kitchen jokes are stale and tired and tend to be casual chauvinism. Every time a woman goes near an F1 car someone pipes up with a lame ass kitchen joke.

I just find it stupid and unnecessary. I've seen lots of interviews with Checo and I know he's not the most serious character but still...

Advertisement

#20 ezequiel

ezequiel

• 2,803 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:24

I can't believe some people is doing such a case of Pérez's words. You need an irony detector.

#21 superstring

superstring

• 301 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:32

Its a weird interview, he starts great saying how Susie is a good driver, defending her and how we shouldnt judge her by 1 F1 practice, then he finishes the interview with the joke. like, wtf

No no, imagine if a woman beats you that would be too much. Better if she goes to the kitchen!

Sheesh, cut the guy some slack! It's a joke. Maybe a bad one but, for one thing English isn't his first language and, as others have pointed out, Latin American culture is chauvinistic! So he's being sarcastic and sending up his own cultural stereotypes.

#22 FNG

FNG

• 5,774 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:43

It's a joke people relax. Seems like he had a good rapore with the reporter and he was kidding around with her. She was goating him with the "we are complicated"

#23 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:56

Taking into account that 99% of women "involved" in F1 are Pit Babies and we consider that normal and not at all sexism, I find weird so much fuss about Checo's joke...  :rolleyes:

I'm a woman and I did not feel insulted by his words, I guess I'm a freak, who knows?  :lol:

#24 toofast

toofast

• 512 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:57

Taking into account that 99% of women "involved" in F1 are Pit Babies and we consider that normal and not at all sexism, I find weird so much fuss about Checo's joke...  :rolleyes:

I'm a woman and I did not feel insulted by his words, I guess I'm a freak, who knows?  :lol:

Pit Babies?  :D

#25 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:05

Pretty dumb thing to say.

#26 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:09

heres the video btw:

if you can understand spanish

Here's the full interview in english:

Checo, this friday we'll have a woman in F1 for the first time in 22 years, what do you think?

Yes Sussie, a great driver and demonstrating that woman can be in this tough F1 world, hopefully she can do a good job, its also hard to judge her work in 1 practice. She doesnt know the car, these cars are hard to drive, Silverstone is complicated. Lets not expect huge things yet.

My take: he said it as a "joke" and didnt mean anything bad, but its obviously incredibly stupid to be joking about that. Specially him being a public figure :well:

Seems like it wasn't about Mrs Wolff...  Surely Rosberg and Hamilton will play nice about their boss's wife :p We all have said a lot more blunt and more honest things about her abilities in comparison with her peers (F1 drivers.)

While it was a generic remark, everyone has expectations from a relationship that they're into. I read it more like what he may want from his own relationships than anything else... It read a bit like, "my friend has this problem..." when you yourself have a problem.

By the way, it was a stupid question, and Perez should have simply retorted by saying, "what sort of a question is this?" Or, something more blunt.

#27 Jamelon

Jamelon

• 706 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:36

By the way, it was a stupid question, and Perez should have simply retorted by saying, "what sort of a question is this?" Or, something more blunt.

Wrong, the right thing to do was not to take the question seriously (because it wasn't a serious question) and answering with irony/sarcasm, but this is perhaps too hardcore for the always loud simple-minded do-gooders. The kind of people that think saying someone is black or dressing up as black by darkening your skin is inherently racist, while wearing a blonde whig and blue contact lenses isn't. This is another example of that.

Edited by Jamelon, 04 July 2014 - 04:37.

#28 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:41

Que Bestial!  :D

Era broma, claro... 

#29 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:11

Same boat as you - I'm a woman who saw nothing in Perez's comments and can see that there is far worse things to be offended about. I used to work in a male-dominated environment and what other women may see as sexist I just brush aside and take in my stride. Perhaps I should be more offended by Perez's comments? The female reporter who asked him the question was probably unlikely to be offended seeing as she encouraged a jokey response with "we are complicated".  

I took it for what it was - a joke that went a bit wrong. They're all guilty of that one. If Perez starts making similar comments further down the line, then I might start taking a different view but for now I'll give benefit of doubt.

#30 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:22

Oh no, a sexist joke.

thinkofthechildren-3fc0a5dc1f5757c71b88b

#31 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:43

Imagine Lewis would have said that.

#32 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:03

Good heavens, this may land him in some hot water. As it should! Very careless comment to make, even it if meant in jest.

There is absolutely NO evidence to suggest women are any better than men in the kitchen. Just because it has always been a female dominated occupation, does not make them by default better. I know many strong and independant guys that will happily and thanklessly slave away for army.

Come on, checo, what us this? 1953? Times have changed buddy. Very very bad taste.

Edit: I see Mr. Constanza got there before me

Edited by KiloWatt, 04 July 2014 - 06:06.

#33 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:06

Nothing special, move on.

#34 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,343 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:27

A grave offense on men capacity in the kitchen like KiloWatt says.

He should be hanged by the PC brigade. Oops i forgot the PC  just have one side!

Edited by AlexS, 04 July 2014 - 06:28.

#35 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:34

He's obviously not met my girlfriend, she's awful in the kitchen!!

#36 Bawdy

Bawdy

• 45 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:43

Meh, it's just a joke. Get over it.

#37 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:53

Women are better in the kitchen in my house.

#38 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:08

I'm also a woman and yet I see it differently! (I looked this up in the the motorsport charter and apparently that means I have to wrestle you and GoodSister in jelly for the right to speak on behalf of all the women. Hmmmn, they really should not have let Flavio write that thing.)

Until that happens, nah you do not have to feel offended, but no, I do not find it 'normal and not at all sexism' that women are so drastically under represented in motorsport. Which is why I am not offended as such by his piss-poor gag but I did find it deeply tedious. Yes, it's a joke. A joke that supposes everyone actually is totally over this sexism thing and now we are all equals. Otherwise people might think he's being serious. But frankly there's enough people in F1 who still genuinely don't think the F1 grid is a place for women.

#39 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:14

Wow people really need to get off the offended wagon. 

The question was a leading one, even the journalist took the piss out of girls, he was just giving some banter back. 

All you taking offence are probably the same ones complaining about drivers not showing any character or humour these days!

Advertisement

#40 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:29

2014, where everyone gets sandy over the slightest thing. The world has gone PC mad.

#41 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:35

What's wrong with stating the obvious? Usually at home, women are better cooks. Restaurants are slightly different.

#42 DrivenF1

DrivenF1

• 1,050 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:36

Wow people really need to get off the offended wagon. 

The question was a leading one, even the journalist took the piss out of girls, he was just giving some banter back. 

All you taking offence are probably the same ones complaining about drivers not showing any character or humour these days!

I think you misunderstand why people are complaining   ;)  They're complaining that there's not enough humour and character to complain about (e.g. the bad jokes). The only thing you can do if someone is stating PC stuff is say how boring they are!

Although Perez was joking it would be fun to see Wolff put it top five in FP1 to show a few sexist people.

#43 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:37

Yes Sussie, a great driver

Yeah, he's pretty obvious he's taking the piss.  Name me a male driver who could get to F1 on the back of 4 points in 7 years of DTM without sleeping with Monisha.

#44 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 225 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:47

Good heavens, this may land him in some hot water. As it should! Very careless comment to make, even it if meant in jest.

There is absolutely NO evidence to suggest women are any better than men in the kitchen. Just because it has always been a female dominated occupation, does not make them by default better. I know many strong and independant guys that will happily and thanklessly slave away for army.

Come on, checo, what us this? 1953? Times have changed buddy. Very very bad taste.

Please... For the future of life on earth, tell me this is sarcasm...

#45 masa90

masa90

• 2,035 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:59

That was a joke sheesh. Not very funny one but still a joke. People complain about f1 lacking character, yet when there is people who atleast try to joke or be themselves people complain again.

People get so upset over so small matters these days.

#46 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:02

Please... For the future of life on earth, tell me this is sarcasm...

Sort of. See, what Sergio said was 'imagine if a woman beats you that would be too much. Better if she goes to the kitchen!' but a bunch of people are going just off the thread title and acting as if what he'd actually said was 'women are better in the kitchen' i.e. the kitchen is a more appropriate place for women than a race grid . So they are jokily misunderstanding him to have meant 'women are better in the kitchen [than men are in the kitchen]' and arguing with him about that.

#47 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:06

Yeah, he's pretty obvious he's taking the piss.  Name me a male driver who could get to F1 on the back of 4 points in 7 years of DTM without sleeping with Monisha.

The son of a part team owner ;)

#48 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:08

The son of a part team owner ;)

At least Chilton has won races in his career.  All the way up to GP2.  And I doubt Sergio would describe him as "great".

#49 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:08

My wife isn't better in the kitchen than me as I love cooking and have always done it, she would probably burn the house down. She is a better driver than me and its not unusual for me to let her to parallel park our car as I would probably bump it! She is more aware generally in the car lol. I do beat her on the go kart track though but I lose sight of being sensible in that arena  :p

A very sexist remark from Sergio if in the right context. Then again in any context that sort of remark or even related is unnecessary IMO. He goofed that one up! 

#50 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:14

Sort of. See, what Sergio said was 'imagine if a woman beats you that would be too much. Better if she goes to the kitchen!' but a bunch of people are going just off the thread title and acting as if what he'd actually said was 'women are better in the kitchen' i.e. the kitchen is a more appropriate place for women than a race grid . So they are jokily misunderstanding him to have meant 'women are better in the kitchen [than men are in the kitchen]' and arguing with him about that.

Sort of.  I was just poking fun at the self-destructive nature of compulsive and irrational politically correctness (note, I'm all for constructive and intelligent PC).  I honestly couldn't care less what he actually said (or meant).

So it was basically a cleverly hidden OT.

Edited by KiloWatt, 04 July 2014 - 08:17.