- - - - -

Superimposed trackside adverts

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:07

We had the ridiculous message from bernie saying thankyou to redbull at Austria, but I've just clocked the two black 'Bernie says: Think before you drive' signs on the grass at silverstone.... They look awful. When did they start doing this?!

Advertisement

#2 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,274 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:09

Can't someone "hack it" to say f@@@ off Bernie?????

#3 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:12

We had the ridiculous message from bernie saying thankyou to redbull at Austria, but I've just clocked the two black 'Bernie says: Think before you drive' signs on the grass at silverstone.... They look awful. When did they start doing this?!

A what? Where did that happen?

Edited by Jejking, 05 July 2014 - 12:12.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:13

This is literally what Mr Burns would do

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:24

As they come onto the pit straight....

#6 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,400 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:26

I'd go for "Bernie says goodbye, I'm off to jail now"

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:56

The Think Before you Whatever have been on physical boards the last few years. Maybe it's a Johnnie Walker thing?

#8 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:17

As they come onto the pit straight....

I saw it on the top of one of the grandstands...

#9 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,624 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:18

This is literally what Mr Burns would do

Nah he'd have his flying monkeys do it...

#10 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:33

"Bernie, you're needed in Germany"

#11 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 13:53

Maybe a dick-butt?

#12 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:24

Get used to it, you're going to be seeing superimposed ads more and more, and not just in live sports either. From what I have read, drama series nowadays are changing things like car makes for different markets, to get even more money from product placement.

#13 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:27

I saw one that said: "F1 the world's fastest brand". I think it was on the top of a grandstand

#14 MrMan

MrMan

• 190 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:35

There's been a few all year I think, I'm sure some of the trackside advertising appearing on grass in various races has been superimposed as it looked a bit jaggy rather than a huge bit of cloth pinned into the ground.

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 15:00

It seemed like the Emirates stuff in Austria on the 'infield' turns was changing over the course of the weekend as they experimented with the placement.

#16 djned

djned

• 1,058 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:25

it started last year.  it's pretty badly done and very distracting, particularly in the night races.  it's usually the main season-long sponsors, but this year they are doing more 'special' things eg at most starts there is something you only see once, like the 900th gp in bahrain, a welcome back to austria message.  so that's been more noticeable too.  but the ads are just getting worse.  they are occupying more and more space, in less 'normal' positions.  it's a bit silly.  you know what they say about f1 becoming artificial...

the 'bernie says don't drink' campaign has been around for a while, but using it as a superimposed ad in britain showed how amateurish the execution is, you could hardly read it.

#17 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:09

He could have put something at the end saying "Bernie Says Thank You To Silverstone for 50 Fantastic Races".

But indeed they are awful these ads. Quite distracting. 

#18 Lontano

Lontano

• 1,990 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:00

It's been going on since last year. When everything goes well (specially lighting) it's hardly distinguishable from real ads, I guess they are trying to find how much they can push it without allienating the audience.

#19 Incast

Incast

• 129 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:23

it started last year.  it's pretty badly done and very distracting, particularly in the night races.  it's usually the main season-long sponsors, but this year they are doing more 'special' things eg at most starts there is something you only see once, like the 900th gp in bahrain, a welcome back to austria message.  so that's been more noticeable too.  but the ads are just getting worse.  they are occupying more and more space, in less 'normal' positions.  it's a bit silly.  you know what they say about f1 becoming artificial...

the 'bernie says don't drink' campaign has been around for a while, but using it as a superimposed ad in britain showed how amateurish the execution is, you could hardly read it.

Pedant's corner moment, but it actually started back in 2012 at the end of the season. Since so few have noticed means they have been largely successful in the implementation, unfortunately.

In the last few races they have decided to ramp this up massively for reasons unknown and the messaging has been getting increasingly bizarre, thank you messages, 'F1 - the world's fastest brand' and all the rest of it. It strikes me as Bernie thumping down his authority. The quality used in Silverstone was also particularly poor.

This is not new, Bernie tried to do this in the late 90s with some ad banners which were plain green for Ads to be overlayed on top. However, the technology at the time wasn't up to it and it was ultimately abandoned by 2000.

What has given renewed drive for these changes is that I believe the commercial deals now guarantee this CGI Advertising - when Rolex signed the deal Jackie Stewart kept talking about virtual advertising which made no sense to me at the time, but clearly does now. Bernie since the mid 2000s also controls the trackside advertising so he also has a vested interest in shoving as much into the camera as possible.

This is all ultimately a shame as FOM have changed a number of their angles now not to focus on the car but to ensure that the ads are in view. One of the key advantages that FOM brought to the table when they took control of most rounds in 2007 was the ability to zoom closely in on the cars, which is what we all want to see. They invested heavily in the F1 Digital+ era to provide the best angles of the action. Unfortunately this is now diminishing.

All of this is highly absurd when you consider Formula 1 is now on a pay TV model, viewers are expected to pay to watch coverage flooded with CGI ads.

Is this Formula 1's biggest problem? No, far from it. However, with falling TV audiences this is yet another example of the completely wrong approach being used.

Advertisement

#20 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,062 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:02

i remember back in the 90s the Australian television channel showing the Bathurst 2 litre touring car 1000 has superimposed ads on the circuit that the cars drove over. I'm surprised this hasn't come to F1 yet, even though that was 15 years ago

#21 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:16

Can the drivers see these super imposed messages or is it just a CGi camera trick thing?

I saw the one at Austria and thought to myself "Someone is going to spin on that!" not realising what it was.

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 17:22

I never notice them until someone points them out!

#23 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:50

Can the drivers see these super imposed messages or is it just a CGi camera trick thing?

Is that a serious question?

#24 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:54

Is that a serious question?

Yes, it is. I want to know how it is done. And why wasn't it done before?

#25 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,726 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:07

Yes, it is. I want to know how it is done. [b]And why wasn't it done before?{/B]

Perhaps Bernie was asking too much for the 'priviledge'. Maybe but he has lowered the price - sort of BOG-OFF before prison offer!

#26 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08

I can't say I ever really notice them and even if I did, I doubt I'd really care.

#27 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:02

Yes, it is. I want to know how it is done. And why wasn't it done before?

It's superimposed, of course it's a camera/cgi trick.

#28 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:16

I wouldn't mind them if they were less obvious. My wife doesn't really watch F1 but mentioned it as she was in and out of the room. The ones in Canada and Silverstone just looked like digital graphics with no care to attempt to blend them in I felt. 

#29 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:49

They're appearing so often now, sometimes they place them on the start/finish straight.

I'd love to know how they get the cars to drive over them without any rough edges or break in quality.

#30 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:55

I can't say I notice them but somehow I always have this urge to fly to the Emirates after a grand prix. Weird.

#31 Lontano

Lontano

• 1,990 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:43

They're appearing so often now, sometimes they place them on the start/finish straight.

I'd love to know how they get the cars to drive over them without any rough edges or break in quality.

It's the same technology used for old school green screens, just a lot more evolved.

#32 Lontano

Lontano

• 1,990 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:45

I wouldn't mind them if they were less obvious. My wife doesn't really watch F1 but mentioned it as she was in and out of the room. The ones in Canada and Silverstone just looked like digital graphics with no care to attempt to blend them in I felt. 

It's very tricky to get the integration just right. Lighting, camera movement, and specially camera focus will break the integration, and the problem is that once your brain realizes it's fake it becomes so obvious it can be distracting.

#33 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:34

The technology does have its uses. A few races ago they overlaid the grid with the drivers names, just before the start. It was the 2nd time they'd done that I think, the 1st time was better cos it was more readable with less detail, the last time they did it, they put names, lap times, position etc on and it was too much, so you couldn't read it.

#34 chipmcdonald

chipmcdonald

• 1,824 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 19:46

Hate it.

I predict this era will be looked at as the "baby steps" moment in the process.  Ultimately - like every sports channel - they'll feel it's ok to plaster advertising wherever possible, as much as possible.

#35 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:10

I don't really see a problem with it, I mean, yeah its different and maybe looks a little corny, but if they use it right, it could be beneficial in some ways.