Photo

European 2-Litre Sports Car Championship 1970

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eccolo

eccolo

• 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:22

I have searched the usual internet sites for the technical regulations established for the European 2-Litre Sports Car Championship that ran from 1970. Specifically, I am looking for the minimum car weights imposed.

FIA Appendix J (page 35) is clear - 1600cc to 2000cc is 575 kilos. The question is: did the 2 Litre Championship cars run to that limit or one established specifically for that series?

I am certain someone on TNF has the knowledge.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 14:52

The Championship regulations in the 1970 FIA Yellow Book state that cars of Groups 4, 5 and 6 up to 2000cc were eligible and specify that 'The General Prescriptions will be integrally observed for this Trophy'. There is a possible get-out in the GPs, although I'm not sure what they mean by 'hors concours': perhaps individual organisers could seek an exemption for cars which didn't meet the exact Appendix J rules, allowing them to race but not score in the championship? Something like the way the Rover-BRM turbine was allowed to run at Le Mans in 1963?

5 Groups of cars admitted

Except in the case of an explicit waiver, granted by the CSI or its Executive Board, only the groups of cars or formulae specified in the appropriate Championship, Trophy or Cup regulations, can be admitted in a qualifying event. A possible waiver can only be granted 'hors concours'.

edit: from my reading of Appendix J there seems to be no specified minimum weight for cars running in Group 6. Group 4, of course, would have to comply with the homologated weight.

#3 eccolo

eccolo

• 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 21:19

Thank you Vitesse2.

Are the 1970 Yellow Book regulations you refer to specific to the European 2-Litre Sports Car Championship? I think that is what you said, but do not want to make an incorrect assumption.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,874 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 21:46

Yes, that's correct. The official name of the championship was The European Trophy for Makes of Cars up to 2 litres. The makes title took no account of the groups and was determined purely on the general classification, but there were to be separate drivers' titles for each group.

#5 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:13

Please pardon me for dumbing this thread down for a moment, I just want to say that my recall is that this was a very good series with varied cars and good drivers. I certainly enjoyed reading the race reports.

#6 eccolo

eccolo

• 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:34

Vitesse2,

So Redmond/Chevron and Bonnier/Lola in 1970 entries would both been required to weigh at least 575 kilos. And so would Merzario/Osella a few years later. I think they must have carried some thoughtfully placed ballast.

I think that wraps it up.

And I agree with barrykm. The cars were lovely, they were very easy to distinguish and the drivers were easy to like. A great series for quite a few years.