Photo
- - - - -

Rate the British GP!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the British GP! (165 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the British GP!

1. 1 (Worst Rating) (5 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

2. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 (3 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

4. 4 (4 votes [2.42%])

Percentage of vote: 2.42%

5. 5 (9 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

6. 6 (11 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

7. 7 (26 votes [15.76%])

Percentage of vote: 15.76%

8. 8 (52 votes [31.52%])

Percentage of vote: 31.52%

9. 9 (40 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

10. 10 (15 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:48

Please rate the race objectively and not on your favourite drivers result 

Best Driver
Worst Driver
Best Team
Best Overtake
Best Moment
DRS + Tyres

And the race in a sentence... 

Advertisement

#2 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:53

Best Driver - Bottas
Worst Driver - Guiterrez
Best Team - Mercedes
Best Overtake - Vettel on Alonso 
Best Moment - Seeing Kimi walk away from that crash OK. 
DRS + Tyres - DRS was too much today, tyres boring now. 

8, as it was pretty entertaining throughout. Could have been a 9 if Nico had stayed in, though I had a feeling he was going to get a DNF today. 

#3 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:54

Best driver, Ricciardo. He basically one stopped the race on the medium tyres.

Next up, Fernando. I know Fred is a monster, but Jesus H Christ the man did things with that car against all odds.

Worst driver? Meh, can't tell, too wrapped up in a great race. Gutierrez?

Best moment, Lewis coming out of the pits on the hards and popping up with a 1:37:1xx. I KNEW we were in for a cracker then!

Funny moment. Sebastian absolutely CRYING over the radio because he ACTUALLY HAD TO RACE! Sorry mate, its called wheel to wheel racing for a reason. 

Great race, enjoyed it, and the championships alive again with Nico finally getting his DNF  :kiss:

#4 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:56

9/10

Only lacked that battle for the lead.

But a doozy nonetheless.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:56

Generous six for me. When you get psyched for the start, an immediate hour-long interruption inevitably kills momentum. Once the battle for the lead was prematurely decided, I lost most of my interest. All that said, I'm glad those who paid to watch the race live got their money's worth.

#6 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 14:58

Best Driver: Alonso, a strong recovery and assertive in his battles. I'll let the whining on the radio slide for this one.
Worst Driver: I haven't seen enough of the Maldonado/Gutiérrez tangle to say, but either of these seems like a good candidate. Mention to Räikkonen for misjudging at the start.
Best Team: Williams, we won't know because of Massa's incident if both cars were reliable, but Williams made a strong recovery with Bottas to put the car in the place it belongs.
Best Overtake: There were a few nice onces outside of DRS, but I suppose it can't hurt to give the nod to Vettel for sticking with Alonso long enough to force his way through. Excellent braking into Copse.
Best Moment: The scrap between Alonso and Vettel was amusing, both for the on track action and the tantrums by both drivers.
DRS + Tyres: The same old. DRS on this track just exacerbates the problem. Tyres seemed to last, which is decent enough.

And the race in a sentence: Silverstone proves that fast cars with plenty of downforce are most enjoyable to watch and race on tracks that have fast corners, and behind the usual Mercedes walk-over it produced a few - but not too many - nice scraps for position. :up:

Rated it 6/10, a decent but not too memorable race with a few problems (DRS/long wait/no battle for the lead). :)

Edited by Nonesuch, 06 July 2014 - 15:00.

#7 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:02

Generous six for me. When you get psyched for the start, an immediate hour-long interruption inevitably kills momentum. Once the battle for the lead was prematurely decided, I lost most of my interest. All that said, I'm glad those who paid to watch the race live got their money's worth.

Agreed. Lost interest once Ros went out. Alonso provided most of the entertainment. Not a memorable GP at all really. 5/10

#8 Emilvang

Emilvang

• 965 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:03

Best Driver - Alonso
Worst Driver - Gutierrez
Best Team - Williams.
Best Moment -
Vettel and Alonso battle.
DRS + Tyres - Hard compound seemed faster than the medium compound.

Edited by Emilvang, 06 July 2014 - 15:03.

#9 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:04

Best Driver: Bottas
Worst Driver: Is it harsh to mention that other Finn here?
Best Team: Toro Rosso. Both cars in the points.
Best Overtake: Vettel on Alonso.
Best Moment: see above
DRS + Tyres: Just right. 

#10 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 132 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:06

Best Driver: Several good drives today, would probably give it to Alonso for such a great defensive drive

Worst Driver: Esteban, oh dear

Best Team: Williams

Best Overtake: Alonso on Vettel at Copse, that man had huge balls!

Best Moment: The whole Vettel / Alonso fight, minus the cry baby radio

DRS + Tyres: Seemed ok to me

Race in one sentence: Not an classic but enjoyable to watch, shame Rosberg retired so we didn't get a battle between him and Lewis but there was plenty of other good parts.

7/10 for me.

#11 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:07

Best Driver - Bottas
Worst Driver - Guttierez
Best Team - Mercedes
Best Overtake - Vettel vs Alonso without the whining
Best Moment - Vettel vs Alonso without the whining
DRS + Tyres - never liked them

7/10 good race

#12 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:08

Best Driver: Lewis
Worst Driver: Kimi
Best Team: Merc
Best Overtake: Vettel on Alonso
Best Moment: Rosberg´s car brakes down
DRS + Tyres: okay

I love the result, I love the fight between Alonso and Vettel, but the advantage of the Mercs is a joke. They could lap all other teams except Williams. Therefore 6/10. A great races needs more than one team to fight for the victory.

#13 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:09

I realize Bottas had a strong result, but I cant help but feel he just sailed just past during most of his overtakes with top speed advantage and then cruised around on his own most of the race.

Alonso had to fight tooth and nail for that result the *entire* way through, both defending and attacking. One of the best drives I've seen in a while.

#14 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:13

It wasn't nail biting because Rosberg DNFed, but there was plenty of action and drama all around.

Kimi showed us you can never be too old for rookie mistakes and Massa did great job avoiding an even more serious crash. And Bottas, huh? Fast and reliable, Williams have a gem. Hopefully they keep him while the teams improves.

Hamilton really needed this.

8/10

#15 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:13

7/10.

Best Driver - Boatass. Great young talent/one to watch in the future/much better than Crashtor Murdernado/first win coming soon etc etc. Being 87mph faster in top speed presumably helps overtake, though.
Worst Driver - Alonso. Jumped start, endless blocking of other drivers, ignoring black & white flag, exceeding track limits 872 times, crying on the radio, and being so insecure as to think Vettel could not possibly pass him without the German somehow magically getting DRS outside of DRS zones. Even then he just narrowly beats his teammate Raikkonen, who managed to hurt himself and nearly injure Massa and Kobayashi with a reckless rejoining of the circuit and after his own silly mistake
Best Team - Red Bull were the only team to get two cars home in the top 5, so in this thread the best team was clearly Mercedes somehow, who gave one driver a stop & go on his regular pit stop and the other driver a gearbox that ate itself :rolleyes:

Best Overtake - Alonso on Vettel, Vettel on Alonso, Chilton on paddock, Maldonado on bird
Best Moment - GUT revenge on MAL but in typical Sauber fashion they can't even roll an enemy car right
DRS + Tyres - Hards suddenly faster than the mediums is a little strange but after last year's fifteen tire explosions anything less than a tire flying into space and orbiting the moon was going to be a let down.

And the race in a sentence... as a warning to other tracks, if it takes you more than 4 minutes to replace an ARMCO barrier, you should lose your GP for 10 years.

#16 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:14

Best Driver - Bottas, Alonso, Ricciardo
Worst Driver - Guiterrez
Best Team - Mercedes
Best Overtake - Alonso on Vettel
Best Moment - The entire Alonso vs Vettel
DRS + Tyres - Totally fine

Alonso's move on Vettel in Copse for me was much better, than Vettel's on Alonso. Alonso did it from the outside.

#17 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:16

Please rate the race objectively and not on your favourite drivers result 

Best Driver - Bottas
Worst Driver - Kimi
Best Team - Redbull
Best Moment - Vettel vs Alonso
DRS + Tyres - Meh as always

And the race in a sentence... We were robbed of a great ending with Nico's gearbox failure so it was building up quite nicely only to end in a damp squib. A generous 8/10 that feels more like a 7 when I think about it too much.

Edited by skc, 06 July 2014 - 15:21.

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:18

Great race. 9/10, though tempting to give it a 10.

Best Driver Bottas. Great recovery.
Worst Driver Kimi. Yeah he just should have been more careful about rejoining the track.
Best Team Williams. Superb recovery from yesterday, and the car clearly has pace.
Best Overtake Vettel taking back Alonso, the latter pushing to the absolute limits of acceptable defensive driving.
Best Moment Maybe not a single moment, but that Vettel/Alonso battle was superb.
DRS + Tyres Nothing wrong here.

As I remember Murray Walker once saying, "The drama, the action, excitement, the good times and the bad times."

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:19

Worst Driver - Alonso. Jumped start, endless blocking of other drivers, ignoring black & white flag, exceeding track limits 872 times, crying on the radio, and being so insecure as to think Vettel could not possibly pass him without the German somehow magically getting DRS outside of DRS zones. Even then he just narrowly beats his teammate Raikkonen, who managed to hurt himself and nearly injure Massa and Kobayashi with a reckless rejoining of the circuit and after his own silly mistake

Didn't jump start, this is F1 so you're allowed to block, he only exceeded track limits 871 times, and he was informed his dog died during the race, which explains his crying.

Advertisement

#20 wookles

wookles

• 661 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:23

Best Driver : Alonso
Worst Driver : Raikkonen (sorry, but WHAT were you thinking! lucky nobody including yourself was seriously hurt)
Best Team : Mercedes
Best Overtake : Vettel on Alonso
Best Moment : Lewis winning.
DRS + Tyres : Seems ok.

#21 Infinityl

Infinityl

• 180 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:24

Best Driver : Fernando Alonso

Worst Driver: Maldonado
Best Team: Williams
Best Overtake: Alonso on Vettel&Richiardo
Best Moment: 9 first laps on Alonso onboard and 8 laps Vettel Behind Alonso.
DRS + Tyres

And the race in a sentence... Good Race,  very good Massa avoiding Kimi.

#22 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:28

4/10

Great racing by some but lots of boring parts and we were robbed of a battle for the lead.

Driver of the day has to be Alonso

Kudos to Felipe for superb racing reactions and instinct, could have saved a very nasty crash there.

#23 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:29

8/10, another brilliant 2014 F1 race.

Alonso and Vettel was simply classic. Bottas storming though, Button so close to a podium, and a British winner :-)

#24 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:32

I rated 9 but thats based on race excitement.

The event I would score lower.

The girls all seem too covered up now every year on the british gp wearing those weird shoulder shrug things instead of been sleeveless like all the other countries.

The delay at start I think was excessive and even unneeded, too much caution.

#25 MAMBA

MAMBA

• 25 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:54

Best driver: Alonso, despite starting way back he fought to a brilliant finish.

Worst Driver: -

Best Team: Williams did very well despite a bad start to weekend and definitely McLaren. Things are not looking good but for once they are looking to be in a better place although I doubt it will last very long. I hope that they get things sorted in the next few seasons.

Best moment: Silverstone race, it was exciting but the Alonso and Vettel pass on the end was very well executed. Certainly lifted me from my chair in excitement.

DRS + Tyres: -

The race was good start to end and there was plenty of excitement from the accidents (I hope Kimi is fine) and driver battles during the 52 laps, so it is a 10 from me.

The delay at the start was not personally noticeable but the delay was unnecessary.

I agree on the Girls...

MAMBA

#26 metz

metz

• 15,872 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 15:57

I thought the race boring.

But since I fell asleep :yawnface: about lap 20 and woke up with 2 laps to go, I may not be the best judge.

What did I missed?

Oh, I see.....NR developed a gearbox problem and LH inherited the win.

Edited by metz, 06 July 2014 - 16:00.

#27 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:01

Best Driver Bottas
Worst driver Guttierez
Best team Williams
Best overtake Alonso on Vettel round the outside at copse!
Best moment Alonso and Vettel squabbling on track and over the radio. Very entertaining.
DRS + Tyres Seemed alright

Superb racing, people said f1 was boring they are wrong! :p

Edited by Sheepmachine, 06 July 2014 - 16:03.

#28 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 16:20

Was Maldonado really at fault in the incident with Gutierrez? At the first look, I don't think so. If he wasn't, then I don't understand why some people rate him the worst driver. He was running ahead of Grosjean despite the misfortune in quali.

Unless someone can make a good point on why it was Maldonado to blame.

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 17:04

I realize Bottas had a strong result, but I cant help but feel he just sailed just past during most of his overtakes with top speed advantage and then cruised around on his own most of the race.

Alonso had to fight tooth and nail for that result the *entire* way through, both defending and attacking. One of the best drives I've seen in a while.

And dont forget the penalty .... the guy is a legend

Edit: did FA serve his penalty - I assume he did but I cant remember.

Edited by jjcale, 06 July 2014 - 17:09.

#30 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 17:06

I rated 9 but thats based on race excitement.

The event I would score lower.

The girls all seem too covered up now every year on the british gp wearing those weird shoulder shrug things instead of been sleeveless like all the other countries.

The delay at start I think was excessive and even unneeded, too much caution.

They had to replace part of the fencing which had been demaged ....zero choice in the matter ... insurance might have been voided otherwise

#31 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 17:10

7/10

Best Driver  Bottas
Worst Driver  Raikkonen, Gutierrez
Best Team  Wiliams
Best Overtake   Vettel on Alonso
Best Moment   Entire Alonso/Vettel fight including whines
DRS + Tyres   Decent

And the race in a sentence... could have been quite a classic but for Rosberg's retirement

#32 Viceroy

Viceroy

• 412 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 18:54

5/10

Best Driver: Bottas, Ricciardo
Worst Driver Gutierrez
Best Team: Red Bull
Best Overtake : Vettel on Alonso
Best Moment : when the race finally resumed after the seemingly endless break.
DRS + Tyres   good

And the race in a sentence: Gravel traps, please!

#33 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 18:58

good race, but yes, gravel traps are needed. nice podium

#34 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 19:02

Rubbish.

#35 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 19:08

Rubbish.

yes that was lots of rubbish kicking around the track, must be all those hotdog stands etc, really wish people would tidy up after themselves but one can assume they were so delirious over seeing a british driver win the rubbish got strewn around when the arms went up in celebration , good race though  :clap:

#36 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 19:49

Way too much whining by the drivers. But a great battle between Alonso and Vettel. Alonso was the driver of the race.

Shame that Rosberg DNF before Hamilton sealed the gap, but a least it evened out the championship fight.

I've seen the first start, than had to go out and run some errant. I was quite surprised to see that a hour later it was only lap 6.

Good race overall, the tires were OK and DRS wasn't that bad. 

Edited by DrProzac, 06 July 2014 - 19:50.

#37 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:11

Best Driver-- Bottas/ Button/ Alonso
Worst Driver-- Guti
Best Team-- Red Bull/ McLaren
Best Overtake-- Alonso on Vettel at Copse required a fair bit of commitment
Best Moment-- The entire Alonso/ Vet battle, and the tit for tat radio bitching
DRS + Tyres-- Looked like the cars could push all race long- not so long ago cheese tyres would not have enabled such battles as the Alo/ Vet fight.

And the race in a sentence... Eventful race, once it got going- 8/10.

#38 Laster

Laster

• 3,924 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:50

Best Driver: Bottas, fantastic start up to 9th and forced his way up through the field. He couldn't have gotten a better result if he had started on pole.
Worst Driver: Gutierrez, silly unnecesary clash with Maldonado.
Best Team: Mclaren, good result for the team, they managed to hang on in there with their strong qualifying performance. They were the only team that didn't have a problem or make a significant error.
Best Overtake: Vettel on Alonso, mostly because that battle was just epic. Fantastic driving with two of the best drivers out there. Could have done with a mute on their radios though.
Best Moment: Again Vettel and Alonso's battle.
DRS + Tyres: Nothing worth mentioning.

The race in a sentence. Consistently gripping, I was fully entertained from start to finish. 8/10

#39 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:54

After another thrilling race, can we reflect on just how many good races we've had this year?

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,783 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 20:59

After another thrilling race, can we reflect on just how many good races we've had this year?

More than 2013, fewer than 2012 I reckon. It would be best if we pretended 2013 didn't happen.

#41 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 21:25

Best driver: Alonso, or Bottas

Worst driver: Gutierrez

Best team: McLaren

Best overtake: Alonso on Vettel

Best moment: Lewis taking the flag, tied with Kimi walking away

DRS & Tyres: Yes, these were both present today

In a sentence: Bernie, stop whining about Silverstone's VIP 'facilities' ... glad to see the championship has been revived, 9/10.

Edited by superden, 06 July 2014 - 21:26.

#42 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:22

Wasn't it a homage to the 50th British GP, and they were in post-war clothing styles? I thought it was classy myself. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find girls more attractive when tastefully covered up than standing there in lycra like clingfilm barely covering 10% of their body 

#43 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:44

2 for me.

Bahrain, and Canada. The rest have been no different to 2013, which also boring in the 2nd half of the season. To call any of the other races we have seen this year thrilling would be just wrong in my opinion.

If Mercedes and Williams had closer performance level this season would be much more entertaining, Still RBR, Ferrari, and McLaren seem close on most circuits. It is a shame Mercedes have to be so far ahead could of been a real classic open season between different teams and drivers then.

With that said it's the same nearly every year. 1 team better than the rest, just not by this much.

Edited by Massa_f1, 06 July 2014 - 22:47.

#44 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 22:48

2 for me.

Bahrain, and Canada. The rest have been no different to 2013, which also boring in the 2nd half of the season. To call any of the other races we have seen this year thrilling would be just wrong in my opinion.

Bahrain, Canada, Austria, Monaco, Spain and Today were all pretty good for modern F1, I thought.

#45 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 23:16

Best Driver - Alonso
Worst Driver - dunno ... who cares anyway
Best Team - Mercedes
Best Overtake - Alonso on Vettel (or perhaps Kimi on himself)
Best Moment - Vettel on Alonso
DRS + Tyres - 

#46 jondon

jondon

• 617 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 00:01

I voted 8, Rosberg`s gearbox failure robbed us of a thriling finish.

#47 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,635 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 00:34

Wasn't it a homage to the 50th British GP, and they were in post-war clothing styles? I thought it was classy myself. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find girls more attractive when tastefully covered up than standing there in lycra like clingfilm barely covering 10% of their body 

its been like this past 2 or 3 years I think.

#48 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 00:51

Best Driver: Bottas
Worst Driver: Gutierrez
Best Team: Maybe McLaren
Best Overtake: Vettel on Alonso
Best Moment: Lewis taking the flag and celebrating with the crowd
DRS + Tyres: Ok, didnt explode.

#49 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:29

I am more impressed by Button than Bottas.

Bottas had clearly the car that had to finish behind Mercedes.
http://macofan.com/e...altteri Bottas
Once he cleared Jenson on track, Williams was pulling away at 1.5s a lap. This car was just a beast. On the other hand McLaren is a shitbox and JB was fighting for a podium  :up:

#50 masa90

masa90

• 2,035 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:07

Best Driver - Bottas
Worst Driver - Gutierez
Best Team - Mercedes
Best Moment - Seeing Kimi get out of his car without serious injury.
DRS + Tyres - Worked well for a change