* * * * - 1 votes

Jo Ramirez talks about Sergio Perez

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:18

He talks about many things, among them, Perez time at McLaren.

http://www.formel1.d...ich-zu-sehr-ein

Translated with google, will appreciate if someone with german skills give it a pass.

Ramirez. "As a driver, Sergio was actually not bad on the road and I think he was also getting better - but McLaren wanted a new Lewis Hamilton, they wanted a pilot who is faster than Jenson Button Sergio has not met expectations - he has be increased as a pilot, he had potential, at the end he was already better than Jenson. "

Arrogant and overbearing: Popular Sergio Perez seems not to be just ... "Only Sergio was not good enough as a person he has not really cooperated with the team, he was at no time a part of the team, he was snooty '.. I am now a Formula 1 driver '- we know the drill His attitude was very poor, he was unpopular with the engineers, with everyone on the team -..., he was regarded as very arrogant and Ron Dennis requires that its drivers a part of the team are - with him you have to by in the morning until late at night always think of McLaren ".

Question: "Kevin Magnussen is such a pilot?"
Ramirez. "Yes, he is European, he is better suited to the British style of the team Perez was more like Juan Pablo Montoya, who is also not remained long at McLaren I am often asked:.. Why Latin-American pilots always remain as short at McLaren But I say then: The one can not say yet so, Ayrton Senna was quite long in the team - but he had a very different mentality He was a smart guy and he knew from the beginning what it in?. will expect McLaren. "

Question: "Senna was completely focused on motorsports."
. Ramirez: "Yes Sergio Perez was not Unfortunately, I often criticize him in the media - but I do not criticize him as a driver, he's a good driver, but it does not integrate into the team, it's such a shame - I... this year was in testing at Jerez, some time have spent there at McLaren and Sauber, and neither team was able to say something good about Sergio This is incredible -. they all say that Sergio needs to change his attitude when he want to stay in Formula 1. His character is not adaptable. "

I know that Jo is like Hakkinen, almost a McLaren PR robot, but this are some serious accusation.

Advertisement

#2 HamiltonFanboy

HamiltonFanboy

• 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:05

Not hard to believe at all when you consider his reactions to collisions with other drivers that were clearly his fault. He does seem to have an attitude problem and to be honest that's probably cost him his one shot in a top team.

#3 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:36

Translated with google, will appreciate if someone with german skills give it a pass.

Basically correct :)

To be honest I find it much more interesting what he said about the FIA, the "new F1" including the sound and also about what happened in Silverstone last weekend.

Edited by Tourgott, 10 July 2014 - 08:26.

#4 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:54

For Jo to let loose with that....

Sergio must be real popular.

#5 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:56

he has be increased as a pilot, he had potential, at the end he was already better than Jenson

So is he saying he thought Perez was better than Button last year?  :drunk:

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:09

So is he saying he thought Perez was better than Button last year?  :drunk:

'at the end' of the year.

Which I disagree with anyway.

#7 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:15

Interesting insights from someone whose opinions carry a fair degree of weight and credibility; thanks for sharing it Kosmos.  :up:

#8 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:28

'at the end' of the year.

Which I disagree with anyway.

There is a place to hang out and have a local microbrewer ale here in the Old Town of Tallinn. It is called "A place". On it's door there's a sign "when we're not closed we are open".

It's much like the situation with Sergio Perez was at the end of last year. When Button f***ed up Perez indeed was better, in like 2 races. Maybe Ramirez was talking about those two races?

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:52

Haha, "serious accusations". Ramirez is only saying that a 24-year-old racing driver is aloof and arrogant. Not good characteristics to have when your relationships with the engineers will make or break you, but he's not robbed a shop or driven a race drunk, has he?

Edited by Risil, 10 July 2014 - 09:53.

#10 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:56

I just don't really agree with "Perez was more like Montoya". Juan didn't really seem arrogant, especially when looking at his interviews nowadays. It just never worked for him nor the team in that regard. He was just a bit hot-headed.

Otherwise very hard assessment. Wonder what Checo thinks of it.

#11 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:00

There's been rumours about this in the past I believe. I was very shocked at the end of last season when Perez was not linked with a return back to Sauber. Hiring Perez over Gutierrez is a no brainer personally. Maybe he left such a sour impression that they didn't want him back?

#12 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:16

There's been rumours about this in the past I believe. I was very shocked at the end of last season when Perez was not linked with a return back to Sauber. Hiring Perez over Gutierrez is a no brainer personally. Maybe he left such a sour impression that they didn't want him back?

Either that or Sauber tried to get him, but it didn't work out. Choosing FI over Sauber was probably a no-brainer for Perez himself - that's all assuming he did have the choice. Weird to think that he left such a bad impression that they didn't even want his sponsor money. He gets more than Gutierrez, right?

#13 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:44

Typical spoiled brat sydrome sadly.#

When people are falling over themselves to back you, you are going to think you are God.

Thankfully he is just an average race driver

#14 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:40

There's been rumours about this in the past I believe. 

It was the same Jo Ramirez who a few months ago said something similar. Might well be true, Jo seems a nice chap and it all makes sense, but when it's always the same guy telling the story, I wonder about the motives. I don't recall others saying bad things about Perez's character.

#15 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:42

It was the same Jo Ramirez who a few months ago said something similar. Might well be true, Jo seems a nice chap and it all makes sense, but when it's always the same guy telling the story, I wonder about the motives. I don't recall others saying bad things about Perez's character.

I tend to agree. It always seems to be this guy, I wonder if there is some bad blood? On the other hand I do think Perez comes across as arrogant at times, so it's very believable. 

#16 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:11

This is a lot to let out about a driver. I wonder what is his agenda..

#17 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:24

Interesting article but...

Not hard to believe at all when you consider his reactions to collisions with other drivers that were clearly his fault. He does seem to have an attitude problem and to be honest that's probably cost him his one shot in a top team.

Top Team? :rotfl:

#18 Peat

Peat

• 8,799 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:37

They should read that to Sergio and get a reaction. Probably something along the lines of "He is an old man, he should stay in the old people's home" and then his manager will make him say it was taken out of context. 

Ah, Sergio, I love ya (I don't...) but you've made your own bed. 

#19 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:55

You don't consider McLaren being a top team? 

Advertisement

#20 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:58

He is also Mexican so there will be a subtext that will not be completely obvious .... but not necessarily nefarious 

#21 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:04

He writes a newspaper column apparently. But his racing career is long gone. Maybe he's just being brutally frank.

#22 Collective

Collective

• 1,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:11

You don't consider McLaren being a top team? 

McLaren is midfield. Even more midfield last year.

#23 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,942 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:16

Interesting, I wonder if Perez was frustrated about moving to Mclaren and finding himself in a bad car

I wouldn't know he was spoilt because his interviews sound ok

Edited by SamH123, 10 July 2014 - 13:26.

#24 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,466 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:21

Form is temporary, there is only 1 team with a better record than McLaren.

#25 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:29

I suppose it depends on how you define a top team. Granted they've got a fantastic history, but they're genuine midfield strugglers right now, not even in the "best of the rest" category.

You cannot rest on your laurels in F1, regardless of History - as sponsors will dry up, then funding will dry up and it's a downwards spiral. Look at Williams (prior to this year :p )

Anyway, back on topic - if somebody was going to "blow their chance" at McLaren, Perez probably picked the best time in their history to do that.

#26 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:31

Anyway, back on topic - if somebody was going to "blow their chance" at McLaren, Perez probably picked the best time in their history to do that.

No biggie.. Mclaren is in shambles and he has a better car this year .

#27 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:33

He writes a newspaper column apparently. But his racing career is long gone. Maybe he's just being brutally frank.

It could be, but I just read that this is not his first public attack on Perez..

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 13:45

And only 2 with a better record than Williams.

Though Williams could quite reasonably be called the 3rd best this year, but it's not Ferrari and McLaren who are ahead.

#29 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:50

Since a lot of people seem to be missing some context here: Jo Ramirez helped Perez earlier in his career 

I think the more recent comments are based on disappointment.

#30 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:52

Since a lot of people seem to be missing some context here: Jo Ramirez helped Perez earlier in his career 

Well that would explain it I guess. Shame.

#31 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:56

There is always two sides of the story..Something must have happened between those two.. That is another another possibility for this .. people normally don't bash drivers like that in public, knowing that Sergio is still very young and this can potentially damage his reputation even more.

Edited by discover23, 10 July 2014 - 14:56.

#32 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:56

They used to be. Solid mid-field at the moment until the pull themselves up again.

#33 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:58

This came to light at the end of last season. Perez should thank Mclaren for helping him get his FI seat.

#34 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 14:58

McLaren was a frontrunner when Perez signed in 2012, they should have won that title but for constant cock-ups. 

#35 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 15:20

It's a bit of both, some of what Jo says is true about Perez, but yeah there's also bad blood between them

Edit: From what I've heard, the part were he was not liked by his engineers is not true, maybe by Jensons but not his... as for his 24 hour commitment to McLaren... that's 100% true

Edited by charly0418, 10 July 2014 - 15:27.

#36 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 15:34

It's interesting that Perez was at Mclaren during a lean year, but it's not really the point of the article.

What's astonishing is that I expect all of the drivers to be pushy, arrogant, driven SOB's.  The engineers must surely be used to these self-centred primadonna's dancing around the factory offering platitudes and soulless encouragement on their way to the chartered helicopter waiting to whisk them off to a party somewhere.  And yet Perez has been singled out for specific criticism.

Ramirez must be really disappointed by something, and I wonder if, since he has a longstanding friendship with Whitmarsh, whether he feels that he was somehow responsible for Perez getting the seat, and with a perceived lack of gratitude from the driver?

#37 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:08

I find it hard to believe that Perez is or was that bad. Sometimes people can seem arrogant or snooty to some people but not to others. Martin Whitmarsh and Force India seem to like Perez and I have never heard anyone from Sauber, McLaren or anywhere else say bad things about Sergio's attitude or work ethic. It could be true but I'm not going to just take this one guy's word for it, I need more evidence before I will believe this.

#38 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:29

Someone told me that Sergio wasn't liked at McLaren and send me this photo where everyone is having a great time while excluding Sergio, i don't know how real is this so if some knows anything please let me know, still my friend's dad works at Telmex and once told me that inner rumors said that he had a terrible attitude, so sad.

10520468_10203817860629900_1416612536_n.

#39 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:35

Question is, if this is the case, will he learn from it?  Patrese was one of the least popular drivers circa 1978 and one of the most circa 1993. 

Advertisement

#40 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:41

Someone told me that Sergio wasn't liked at McLaren and send me this photo where everyone is having a great time while excluding Sergio, i don't know how real is this so if some knows anything please let me know, still my friend's dad works at Telmex and once told me that inner rumors said that he had a terrible attitude, so sad.

You would be a good journalist, nice skills at twisting reality.

#41 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 16:45

You would be a good journalist, nice skills at twisting reality.

I just don't know what was going on on that pic, thats what i saw, but again thats why i asked if someone knows anything please correct me.

#42 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 17:11

I just don't know what was going on on that pic, thats what i saw, but again thats why i asked if someone knows anything please correct me.

It's just a picture, hence no one can tell anything from it.

#43 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 17:14

It's interesting that Perez was at Mclaren during a lean year, but it's not really the point of the article.

What's astonishing is that I expect all of the drivers to be pushy, arrogant, driven SOB's.  The engineers must surely be used to these self-centred primadonna's dancing around the factory offering platitudes and soulless encouragement on their way to the chartered helicopter waiting to whisk them off to a party somewhere.  And yet Perez has been singled out for specific criticism.

Ramirez must be really disappointed by something, and I wonder if, since he has a longstanding friendship with Whitmarsh, whether he feels that he was somehow responsible for Perez getting the seat, and with a perceived lack of gratitude from the driver?

My suspicion as well .... he tried to help his fellow Mexican and he is now massively disappointed.

Just speculating.

#44 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 17:20

That pic's meaningless without context. For all we know, he's bagged a table while the rest of his group are queuing up to get the food.

#45 charly0418

charly0418

• 3,289 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 18:19

That pic's meaningless without context. For all we know, he's bagged a table while the rest of his group are queuing up to get the food.

either way its a pretty strong image lol

#46 emmanuelrubi

emmanuelrubi

• 1,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 18:25

Alone :(

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 18:28

There is no midfield anymore. Only teams that will still be in the business of building cars in five years' time, and teams that won't.

#48 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 18:31

Like the person who's left their bag there  :p

Just to be clear, I'm agreeing that we can infer basically nothing from that picture. However, I'm also not so sure that we can dismiss Ramirez's comments as easily as some here are. He's always been a highly-respected professional in the paddock.

#49 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 18:59

I think is a cultural/language thing.. plus he hasn't cut his hair yet.  ;)

#50 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 9,542 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 19:41

Poor Jenson, he wasn't invited...