261 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 23:16

viegener_proj03.jpg

Juan Montoya Racing League Round 12 of 18: Iowa Corn 300

It's time for another Indycar race! This one is approximately two days in the future. It's held in Iowa, home of corn, Heartland America and the greatest President of the 1920s, Herbert Hoover. Iowa also has two fabulous racetracks, but one of them is covered in dirt and would be too much fun for Indycars. But this one's alright too!

Facts alone are wanted in life

Lap length: 0.875 miles

Laps: 300 (50 more than last year)

Turns: Allegedly four, but really it's one long continuous turn with a back straight.

Track record: 180.09mph, Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Honda (2008!)

When's all this happening then

AT NIGHT ON SATURDAY.

Friday, 11 July

08.30-09.50: NASCAR truck practice

10.00-11.15: Indycar practice

11.30-12.30: More truck practice

14.00-15.00: Indycar qualifying

16.40-17.40: Truck qualifying

18.00-18.30: Indycar practice AT NIGHT. Well, close enough.

19.30: NASCAR Truck race (200 laps). Hey, practice, qualifying and race all in one day. There's an idea.

Saturday, 12 July

Busy day this.

19.30: Indycar Iowa Corn Go Go Go (300 laps)

Me so corny

The beautiful state of Iowa! You know how I said that Iowa is basically all about corn and Herbert Hoover? THAT WAS A LIE. Enthusiasts of Trad Jazz and funny names will please note that Bix Beiderbecke also hailed from that state, between 1918 and 1923 it was illegal to speak anything other than English in public, on trains or over the telephone, and that corn makes up only 40 percent of its agricultural produce. Okay so it's mostly about corn and white people from the 1920s.

However I think this is not so bad. Indycars run on the corn-based E85 biofuel, which makes this race a sort of Abu Dhabi-style pilgrimage for the ethanol crowd. Iowa is a short track, less than one mile, but highly banked so aero sensitivity isn't the problem it is at Milwaukee. That means one of two things. Either nothing will happen until the leaders hit traffic and the head of the Indycar snake starts consuming its tail, at which point everything gets exciting but totally baffling for TV viewers. Or there'll be endless crashes and yellow flags and nothing will happen ever. Except for the crashes.

Maize and confused

I don't know what's going on with Indycar. A poster in a previous thread suggested this is feeling a bit like a CART 2000 of a least-screw-ups-wins of a season. It definitely feels like that, although at this stage of the season 2012 and 2013 felt a bit like that too, but my brain has been pretty successful at rewiring them into RHR-versus-Power-match-of-the-century and Irresistible-force-without-an-immovable-object Scott Dixon, respectively. I feel that this year might plausibly be remembered as the Year of the Penske. 2014 is shaping up to be the Captain's best year since 1994, a comparison that makes more sense given that he doesn't have the option of building the Best Car Ever anymore.

penske-mar94.jpg

Penske froze out the competition in 1994

No driver has won more than two races yet, which with more than half of the season gone ranks as a bit of a surprise. But with four victories overall (and three drivers in the championship's top four) Team Penske is looking good. With three ovals left this year it'll also help that the team employs three bona fide oval experts, and two who can concentrate for longer than 45 minutes at a time. Not bad for a team that hasn't won a championship since 2006, a losing streak that makes Mclaren look like Red Bull Racing.

In related news (this is a really good link, I promise), the two less illustrious Penske drivers have just been the subject of an excellent profile from America's most national and therefore best newspaper, USA Today. Mostly because of the things we learn about Will Power.

Facts about Will Power

Will Power's brother invented a kind of breakdancing you do on stilts.

Will Power taught himself how to play the drums. Just like he taught himself how to overtake other cars.

At one test session Power's wife was at the gym so he had to cook breakfast for Helio. The 33-year-old created a terrifying fried egg/omelette abomination and commented "He's not sick so I think I did OK."

Before Will Power became a racing driver he worked in the family canvas goods business back in Queensland. In a Nigel Tufnel-esque turn he still takes an involved interest in the hospitality tents that turn up at Penske HQ.

Seriously this shit is gold.

Kernels of truth

* This year we're back to Iowa being a night race. So long Europeens.

* Tony Kanaan, by the way, has a new paint job and a new sponsor. Another race, another energy drink you've never heard of.

BsNR_LoCUAERjVV.jpg

It's extra high resolution so you can check out all the sweet consumer brands.

* Speaking of last year, it's a long time since anyone's talked about James Heathcliff. He won last year by a frightening margin, although Ryan Hunter-Reay was equally fast but had problems in the race including running into other cars. I have this vague prejudice that Tony Kanaan and Marco Andretti run well at Iowa and should always be contenders for the win. In fact there've been six winners in the last six years. Admittedly the four of those were four different Andretti drivers. Which probably doesn't reflect well on the team.

* There's some sort of rain warning on Saturday's radar. Balls to that, NBC are doing the race and they've got nothing else to broadcast. More importantly, David Hobbs is in the booth. David Hobbs!

* Young Jack Hawkins has climbed out of the apple barrel of injury and is ready for Indycar duty. He finished a good third at Iowa last year in an Indy Lights field that probably contained more talent than last year's GP2 one. With fellow Brummie David Hobbs in the commentary box this is truly an auspicious event.

* World Cup update: by the time the race starts on Saturday the World Cup will be 63/64ths finished. So long, Colombia, so long, Brazil. Come back Christian Danner and Juan Fangio II.

standard.jpg

Does Ross Stonefeld like this Eagle livery as much? Let's ask him!

* Cult hero Josef Newgarden is racing at Iowa with sponsorship from Wichita State University, Kansas. I don't know why. Perhaps renowned Wichita expert and Member of Parliament Chuka Umunna can enlighten us. This will mean nothing to non-Brits and nor should it.

Edited by Risil, 10 July 2014 - 23:22.

Advertisement

#2 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 00:16

FYI ....... Iowa is the future birthplace of James Tiberius Kirk, born in Riverside, Iowa in 2233 A.D.  Also, there's this ........ http://youtu.be/VztoDZm4Gzk Need I say more?

Edited by HeadFirst, 11 July 2014 - 00:17.

#3 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 00:52

Great job with the OP. I will most likely forget to watch.

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:14

No but I like that front wing treatment.

#5 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:29

GREAT FUN/FACT FILLED POST RISIL! THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT.

PROPER WAY TO USE THE FORUM. WELL DONE.

THIS IS A NEAT TRACK FOR INDY CARS. LAP SPEEDS, IN SECONDS, ARE AMAZING.

ANOTHER NEAT TWIST IN THE VENUES THAT INDY CAR USES.

SHOULD BE AN AMAZING RACE. LOOKING FORWARD TO JPM CONTUINING HIS ASCENDANCY THROUGH THE RANKS.

SOMETHING GOOD TO WATCH ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

GRILLED, BUTTERED CORN ROCKS.

CHEERS!

MADERA

#6 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:50

I look forward to the Andretti cars qualifying well then finding various ways to not be near the front later

Why not Monty?

Keen to see what penalty Will gets this week.

#7 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:45

I hope that Kanaan has a decent finish this week. I think an international broadcast of him committing seppuku would be in bad taste.

OP outstanding as usual...take a bow Risil.

#8 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:33

GREAT FUN/FACT FILLED POST RISIL! THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT.

PROPER WAY TO USE THE FORUM. WELL DONE.

THIS IS A NEAT TRACK FOR INDY CARS. LAP SPEEDS, IN SECONDS, ARE AMAZING.

ANOTHER NEAT TWIST IN THE VENUES THAT INDY CAR USES.

SHOULD BE AN AMAZING RACE. LOOKING FORWARD TO JPM CONTUINING HIS ASCENDANCY THROUGH THE RANKS.

SOMETHING GOOD TO WATCH ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

GRILLED, BUTTERED CORN ROCKS.

CHEERS!

MADERA

There was some concern about that ^, as this has been the wettest spring in 100 years and the crops are a little behind schedule. Today it was announced on the Des Moines news, that the first of the sweet corn has been picked and will be available. Enjoy!

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:16

Different state, but I'd imagine it would be similar.

#10 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:30

You used my picture!

Like Iowa. Dislike it's on at 1.30am UK time. That is all.

#11 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:30

Dale Ungerer tosses seat cushions to look like pats of butter onto his 32-foot-long prize ear of corn, which he made by stringing together 1,700 plastic jugs on a frame.

I just want to make sure we all understand that.

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:55

Dale Ungerer tosses seat cushions to look like pats of butter onto his 32-foot-long prize ear of corn, which he made by stringing together 1,700 plastic jugs on a frame.

I just want to make sure we all understand that.

I can't believe it's not...

OK I won't make that joke. But I will deduct points from him for not using real giant slabs of butter.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00

Keen to see what penalty Will gets this week.

I'm going to make a totally outrageous prediction. He's going to win this one.

#14 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:13

I thought Iowa was just a myth.

Just like that one Huertas win.

Edited by OvDrone, 11 July 2014 - 09:13.

#15 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:23

Im gunning to see Hunter-Ray and Andretti crash, then proceed to beat each up in front of Michael, forcing him to choose his son or the one who isn't quite wasting his seat as badly.

Edited by teejay, 11 July 2014 - 09:24.

#16 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:51

Great OP once again Risil! *looks up time of the race* :| Guess I will see you all for Toronto instead then unless rain comes.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 13:09

96EagleNose.jpg

That is a cool front wing. 

Which you'd never see because it was 1 CART in 1996 2 Powered by a Toyota and 3 Driven by uhm, anonymous drivers?

#18 prommer

prommer

• 4,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 15:19

Can't someone paint an Iowa Corn livery on a DW-12?  Seems like an Indycar tub is relatively corn-shaped.

#19 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 15:26

Can't someone paint an Iowa Corn livery on a DW-12?  Seems like an Indycar tub is relatively corn-shaped.

Add seat cushion butter and it would look corntastic!

Advertisement

#20 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,622 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 17:31

JM Fangio II and PJ Jones I think.

Don't want to hear any complaints about the start time..EVERYTHING in F1 is based on UK time.Deal with it.

#21 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 17:51

Yep, the same drivers who raced the IMSA GTP Eagles in the early 1990s.

PJ Jones was a funny one. Not sure how three years of qualifying an underpowered car in 20th-25th position led to a drive for one of the best teams in the series for 1999, but there you go. His form wasn't much better driving for Patrick that year, except for one extraordinary performance against Montoya and Castroneves at Nazareth. They'd gone to superspeedway aero for the little track and it was totally impossible to overtake. However it was nearly as impossible even to lap other cars. The ultimate fight through traffic. A great moment in a year that was full of them.

#22 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:00

Mall advertises special lunch discount on 'enhanced' corncobs ....Clerical staff never report back to work.

woman-corn-cob.jpg

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 11 July 2014 - 18:01.

#23 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:13

This weekend will be rained out. Bummer!

#24 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:25

Yep, the same drivers who raced the IMSA GTP Eagles in the early 1990s.

PJ Jones was a funny one. Not sure how three years of qualifying an underpowered car in 20th-25th position led to a drive for one of the best teams in the series for 1999, but there you go. His form wasn't much better driving for Patrick that year, except for one extraordinary performance against Montoya and Castroneves at Nazareth. They'd gone to superspeedway aero for the little track and it was totally impossible to overtake. However it was nearly as impossible even to lap other cars. The ultimate fight through traffic. A great moment in a year that was full of them.

I've got a hunch that with Pruett going to PPI and Patrick being a factory Ford team and having sponsorship from a Ford off-shoot, they wanted a US driver and other guys weren't available? 

Though PJ gets parked half-way through the year for Magnussen.

And then gets the nod to replace teammate Fernandez when he's injured a few races later.

Promptly qualifying on the front row at Vacouver...

#25 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:36

Amazing

https://twitter.com/...626119307214848

#26 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 18:50

I've got a hunch that with Pruett going to PPI and Patrick being a factory Ford team and having sponsorship from a Ford off-shoot, they wanted a US driver and other guys weren't available? 

Though PJ gets parked half-way through the year for Magnussen.

And then gets the nod to replace teammate Fernandez when he's injured a few races later.

Promptly qualifying on the front row at Vacouver...

P.J. wasn't terrible. Plus, there were a few Americans still racing. Had Robby Gordon already burned every bridge by then? Always felt Richie Hearn never got any love either. 

#27 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:08

Hearn was at DellaPenna and had just got that Budweiser money. Robby Gordon had intentionally blown a Ford in 96, kicked the engine cover decal, AND badmouthed it on TV. When he was done the announcer said "that crackling sound you hear is bridges burning". Barron had done only one year at AAR and was probably under contact so you're really only left with PJ Jones, plus he's a legacy driver so why the hell not...

#28 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:08

P.J. wasn't terrible. Plus, there were a few Americans still racing. Had Robby Gordon already burned every bridge by then? Always felt Richie Hearn never got any love either. 

Robby Gordon had burnt so many bridges he was driving for his own team that year. Richie Hearn would've been a nice pick but I don't see why you'd have gone with him over Jones in late 1998.

Beginning to see why Jeff Krosnoff had such a big future ahead of him in Indycars. :(

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:09

Robby Gordon had intentionally blown a Ford in 96, kicked the engine cover decal, AND badmouthed it on TV. When he was done the announcer said "that crackling sound you hear is bridges burning".

Varsha?

#30 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:21

Krosnoff apparently tested for Ganassi in 95/96 when they were deciding amongst him, Zanardi, and a few other guys. 

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 19:21

This weekend will be rained out. Bummer!

They had better not run it during the World Cup Final...

Even I wouldn't watch.

Go Germany

Jp

#32 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,125 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 20:16

Outstanding OP as usual, Risil. Missed you guys last weekend as I had prior commitments which precluded me from seeing the race live, and will probably be out this weekend flagging a club race event. Good thing it's only ovals I'm missing. :p

See you guys for Toronto, hopefully. :wave:

#33 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 20:28

You used my picture!

Like Iowa. Dislike it's on at 1.30am UK time. That is all.

I see your 1.30 am and raise you 3.30 am.

#34 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:27

Random infernal Indycar clip.

Jp

#35 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,020 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:03

They had better not run it during the World Cup Final...

Even I wouldn't watch.

Go Germany

Jp

Wonders if Pope  Francis  and Former Pope Benedict   have a friendly  side wager goin?

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:43

Hold on. What happened to the qualifying heats? Wasn't that part of the Iowa format?

#37 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,807 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:14

i think there was too much weather around to do the qualifying heats and went with normal qualifiying on a oval

#38 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:58

They were scrapped. Btw that lap record isn't the actual record, pretty sure Helio did 185mph last year and Dixon breached 186mph in qualifying yesterday.

#39 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:01

Don't want to hear any complaints about the start time..EVERYTHING in F1 is based on UK time.Deal with it.

But... but... it's Saturday, a-and there's a party. Booze/dudettes or Indycar. God it would be way too oldSpaFrancochamps to combine the two.

I see your 1.30 am and raise you 3.30 am.

Welcome to the despair that is EET my northern Baltic timezone sharing comrade.

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:20

Grid BTW

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114930

Pos Driver Team/Engine Speed
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Chevy 186.256
2. Tony Kanaan Ganassi/Chevy 185.891
3. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 185.685
4. Ryan Briscoe Ganassi/Chevy 185.339
5. Carlos Munoz Andretti/Honda 185.027
6. Sebastien Bourdais KV/Chevy 184.968
7. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Chevy 184.743
8. Marco Andretti Andretti/Honda 184.726
9. Will Power Penske/Chevy 184.683
10. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 184.589
11. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 184.380
12. Mikhail Aleshin Schmidt/Honda 184.316
13. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Honda 183.747
14. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Honda 183.348
15. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 183.201
16. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 183.089
17. Sebastian Saavedra KV/Chevy 183.083
18. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 182.455
19. Juan Pablo Montoya Penske/Chevy 182.317
20. Jack Hawksworth Herta/Honda 181.243
21. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 180.987
22. Carlos Huertas Coyne/Honda 177.849

#41 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:30

Wow, Briscoe wasn't lying when he said Ganassi are improving, was he? Great performance, although you don't get points for qualifying (at Iowa).

Cheers to Autosport's Mark Glendenning for the excellent qualifying report. Maybe it's just that Indycar brings out the best in people, but his dispatches are always a pleasure to read. Pithy, ironical and clear. Well worth one from your monthly article allowance. He got some good quotes about of Motoya as well:

But the greatest catastrophe was reserved for Penske's Juan Pablo Montoya, the practice pacesetter and last week's Pocono winner, who had an even bigger moment on the bump approaching Turn 2. He ended up 19th.

"It was a little tight/loose, like understeer then oversteer," Montoya told AUTOSPORT.

"I wanted to try to help the car rotate through the middle and... I thought I was hitting the wall. Normally it snaps and comes back, but this one snapped and then stayed there, and I'm going, 'Oh my God...'.

"I'm just glad the car's in one piece. Actually, I'm glad I'm in one piece."

Edited by Risil, 12 July 2014 - 11:38.

#42 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:25

I liked that quote of Monty's. With the way races have been running recently he's probably get the best chance of all to win starting 19th!

#43 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:38

Why do you say that? Because we didn't see what Montoya would have done with a clean lap? 7 of the 11 races this year have been won from a top 5 starting position. The only oddball race was Houston #1, the rest were won by the usual suspects (Power, RHR, etc).

#44 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 13:21

Sato is running poorly. Can't bode well for ticket sales.

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 13:57

Sato is running poorly. Can't bode well for ticket sales.

I hope they return to Motegi before Sato retires.

#46 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:13

If I ever get to meet will power I'm going to get him to sign this picture http://crimsoncast.c...08/DSC06174.jpg

Edited by Deluxx, 12 July 2014 - 14:13.

#47 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:25

Satocar was there before. I don't remember it being earth shaking(though I think it was the year of Fukushima hence the road course rather than the oval).

#48 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:36

Would be nice.

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 14:41

Satocar was there before. I don't remember it being earth shaking(though I think it was the year of Fukushima hence the road course rather than the oval).

And 2010 I think. It just feels to me that 1) Sato is more of a frontrunner than he was in 2010-11, and 2) with engine competition he's more recognizably a Honda driver. Indycar also isn't as depressing as it was then.

#50 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 15:20

Motegi won't be revived without support from Honda Japan, since it's in the middle of nowhere and won't draw live TV audiences. RIP 1998-2011.