Photo

John Cummins, passed away 12.7.14

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,953 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:10

We've all known him for however long we've been around motor racing...

Best known as an on-circuit commentator, that's just the tip of the iceberg with Cummo.

He was very proud of the job he did as 'Tail End Charlie' driving a Chamberlain tractor as a sweep vehicle to get people out of trouble in one of the first (or the first?) RedEx Around Australia Trials.

He spent his youth in Melbourne thoroughly immersed in motor sport and even making spark plugs for the Chamberlain 8. It needed plenty in a lot of heat ranges.

He fitted a Holden engine to a Bugatti and raced it, but not before he completed the gruelling trek from Melbourne to Narrogin to compete in the Australian Grand Prix of 1951.

Racing, you might say, was in his blood. If I recall correctly, his parents were in racing (Aspendale?) and he was proud when his son went racing. Then at least one of the twin grandsons got into Karting.

The Historic movement might have got away without having him around, but his enthusiasm I'm sure played a large part in making it all happen.

To all who were close to him I offer my condolences, especially to the family. Joyce will miss him terribly, I'm sure, as will the boys.

Advertisement

#2 Geoff Smedley

Geoff Smedley

• 110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:34

Many of these great names in the sport are one off's and in this new age they can never be replaced. I had met John many years ago but the name 'Cummo' said more than just a bloke, it was a fixture in motor sport the type of which we won't ever see again and I like hundreds of others are very saddened to hear that darstedly bloody bell has tolled once again. My condolences to his immediate family members along with many many close friends and acquaintances now left a little poorer for this news.

Edited by Geoff Smedley, 14 July 2014 - 07:36.

#3 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,005 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:58

Well, damn. He wasn't looking too strong the last few times I saw him.

A wonderful, funny man, with many skills and interests. An original, too, with a great turn of phrase, making his course commentary a real treat.

Bruce Moxon

#4 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,393 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32

Very sad,we spoke to him ocassionly after School at the Sydney Speed Shop,always friendly. RIP....

http://www.pccv.org/...mminsHolden.pdf

#5 seldo

seldo

• 2,588 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 22:21

That is so sad to hear.
Cummo was such a lovely man.
As a young bloke with no money, no knowledge, no practical skills, and not much sense, I used to go to Sydney Speed Shop at Crows Nest and chat to Cummo for hours, suck his brains, and always came away enriched with a huge amount of knowledge that I usually didn't know what to do with, but it was given with a freedom that does not exist today.
Whilst I didn't know his close family at all, I offer my sincere condolences as I am genuinely saddened by his passing.
Men of his ilk are getting very thin on the ground.

#6 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 23:12

Obviously many enthusiasts, like Seldo relates above, can thank John for sharing his knowledge and helping them spend their pay packets as they drooled over the pages of the Sydney Speed Shop 'Speed Equipment Manual' to Hot up their Mini's, Cortina's, Holden's and Volvo's throughout the 1960s and 70s. Here's the cover of the circa 1969 manual.

Sydney_speed_shop.jpg
image hosting over 10mb

My condolences to John's family and friends.

Stephen

#7 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:01

Sad to hear this news. Cummo was a true one of a kind person,that always had a good story to tell and he did it in such 

away you never doubted it was not true. His knowledge of driver,cars and tales of other chaps of his time on the earth were wonderful to listen to

and his smile that rarely turned into a frown ,will always linger in my mind .

R.I.P.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,953 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:19

Just thinking about it...

One of the big things about Cummo in his 'known everywhere' role was that he was accepted as 'one of us' in so many places. He started out in Melbourne, lived for a while in Perth and later moved to Sydney.

His ability to drink with* any of the boys contributed to this level of acceptance and widespread popularity.

* 'Drink with' might well be taken the wrong way here, but it's not intended to imply that all he did was 'drink with' the boys. He did, indeed, love an ale, but I don't think I ever saw him with too many on board.