German GP 2014: The build up thread

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:58

Less then a week left!
I'm on my mobile, so I can't do a fancy OP with pretty pictures, but please feel free to post them yourself! As usual the German GP brings some controversies to talk about, but have a gut feeling that the whole FRIC thing is going to be a big anti-climax.
I'm more exited than ever (the one and only reason I'm writing this). The reason? Was thinking about work and if I would have the luxury to see it live for the first time in months. Then I realised I don't have to worry, beacuse I will be there. On the track. For the first time!
Picked a bad year, with the noise and all that, but as a Swede, to see another Swede race is pretty high on my list!
Just hoping this last couple of days will go by fast, then I'm off to a very happy Germany, they should be after last night!

Advertisement

#2 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:05

As far as weather goes, it's been quite consistent for a few days now saying Friday/Saturday basically 0-10% chance of rain but with Sunday having anywhere between a 50-80% chance of rain/thunder, but as I said, all 3 days have said pretty much the same thing for a few days now on numerous websites, so there may well be a sting in the tail come Sunday.

#3 Skyturk

Skyturk

• 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:26

I'll be there live in hockenheim so god wants...yeaah

#4 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:57

Looks like it's going to be really hot.

Is the track somewhere between Silverstone and Austria?  

It should be a good race between Williams and Red Bull

#5 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:14

Looks like it's going to be really hot.

Is the track somewhere between Silverstone and Austria?  

It should be a good race between Williams and Red Bull

Geographically, yes.

Characteristacally, not so much. It has a lot more slow corners than both, and only really has one long straight. Modern Hockenheim is really quite middle ground type of track, but definitely a chassis track rather than an engine track.

#6 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:35

Man I miss this.... 

(click if you want to see a lap of old Hockenheim from Schumi's car with a backdrop of the V10...)

#7 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:37

Geographically, yes.

Characteristacally, not so much. It has a lot more slow corners than both, and only really has one long straight. Modern Hockenheim is really quite middle ground type of track, but definitely a chassis track rather than an engine track.

I can't really agree there. You have a long straight before the hairpin, but you also need acceleration out of the hairpin.

#8 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:41

I can't really agree there. You have a long straight before the hairpin, but you also need acceleration out of the hairpin.

For a short straight. You're going to need good traction, but overall power will be less important. Then from the Mercedes complex all the way back to turn 3 it's all about chassis, having good balance and cornering ability.

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:43

Man I miss this.... 

(click if you want to see a lap of old Hockenheim from Schumi's car with a backdrop of the V10...)

Have a V12 instead ;)

#10 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 13:56

I guess the place will be buzzing from the World Cup victory, should be a great weekend for all.

Lewis to pole and win, Nico to miss out on his second "home" win of the season.

#11 chrcol

chrcol

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:07

so force india are confident of improvement?

cheaters, making track position by rule changes.

#12 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:38

so force india are confident of improvement?

cheaters, making track position by rule changes.

What?

Ah Hockenheim, the time every other year where I see a helicopter shot flying over the old track and wish they hadn't ripped it up. :(
Should be a good race, any news on the weather for the weekend? :)

#13 KTownDevil

KTownDevil

• 483 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 14:55

I'll be there live in hockenheim so god wants...yeaah

Me too. Camping from Thursday till Sunday  :cool:

Very hot weather (up to 34°) expected until Saturday and possible thunderstorms on Sunday. 

#14 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:19

I imagine lewis will be more hungry.

Can't see him gobbling the bratwurst. 

#15 Giz

Giz

• 734 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:44

Nicole on the other hand.....

#16 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 15:51

Very hot weather (up to 34°) expected until Saturday and possible thunderstorms on Sunday. 

A rerun of Hockenheim 2000 would be rather nice. Though with the track length cut i guess it will be hard to have only part of it wet... 

That race still ranks as one of my favourite ever. 

#17 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 18:33

#F1 #HOCKENHEIM #BBCF1 Broad initial f'cast expectations for dry, hot Fri-Sat ahead of a thundery breakdown from W late Sat & on into Sunday

#18 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 18:42

Man, going to Hockenheim is depressing nowadays. The old track was a Monza-like blast through the trees; it looked and it felt absolutely unique. This new track could be anywhere in the world. I always feel like the place has no soul anymore.

#19 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 18:45

Super softs this weekend, the rain may save Pirelli's bacon, no idea how they are gonna hold up...

Advertisement

#20 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:11

Super softs this weekend, the rain may save Pirelli's bacon, no idea how they are gonna hold up...

And who knows maybe without well functioning FRIC, AMG could be a tyre eater again and ta-daaa: disaster weekend for AMG and a 1-2 result for RedBull? Exactly the result everybody wanted?

Edited by MetallurgicalHedonist, 14 July 2014 - 19:12.

#21 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:17

Given how hard all of the 2014 compunds are, I don't worry about Mercedes at all.

Another dominant race-weekend for the silver arrows. :up:

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:18

They barely lasted 10 laps in Austria. A longer lap with more corners and tyre stress zones and very high temps once again!!

#23 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:23

They barely lasted 10 laps in Austria.

On the Williams, yes.

On the Mercedes, no.

#24 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 19:27

Shout out to my boy L.E.W.I.S :up:

#25 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 21:13

There's gonna a lot of FRIC talk this weekend. Lots of FRIC tion ;-)

#26 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 21:22

There's gonna a lot of FRIC talk this weekend. Lots of FRIC tion ;-)

I've got your coat for you Owen.

#27 Owen

Owen

• 13,177 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 21:31

Cheers Obi, you've even held the door open for me, thanks. #HereAllWeek

#28 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 22:00

They tyres this year are like the Flintstones' wheels. I have no worries about that. 

#29 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:09

They tyres this year are like the Flintstones' wheels. I have no worries about that.

It's a double edged sword though. Make the tires too soft and everyone complains they have too big an impact. Do the opposite and people complain they aren't a factor anymore. I'll gladly take the latter just on the basis that we do have differing strategies. The only problem we have is that with the ridiculous fuel rules we don't have more people trying to push like mad from the word go. Having said that I'm really hoping that we see more deg than we did in Silverstone.

#30 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:25

Home race for Vettel - here's to a good one. :up:  

#31 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:32

Will be interesting to see how much the changes affect all teams.  The track is ok, don't mind it.  Always love German tracks with the scenery in the background.  It's a lovely part of the world.

#32 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:43

Can you imagine the atmosphere there after the world cup win.Would be absolutely banging if Seb won this grand prix,as his fan I would be happy if its his only win.It would make a great couple of weeks in Deutschland.(I agree with Lewis,Nico is not really German and I cant of get the feeling he is not as appreciated as one like Seb is)

Thunderstorms on Sunday?I will have some of that.

#33 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,193 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 13:10

yesterday i found some old races on youtube...blasting through the forest...it was fun!

checked the weather forecast on yr...no more rain... :|

#34 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 13:23

Man I miss this.... 

My god that car is **** slow thru the corners compared to the 2012 cars. Hell i was watching the 08 race rerun and those cars visibly were waayyy faster in the turns. I guess they did come a long way in some respects.

Look at the McLarens speed in t1 and the stadium complex. 

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 13:48

My god that car is shit slow thru the corners compared to the 2012 cars. Hell i was watching the 08 race rerun and those cars visibly were waayyy faster in the turns. I guess they did come a long way in some respects.

Look at the McLarens speed in t1 and the stadium complex. 

We have come a long way, but you have to remember that old Hockenheim was the lowest downforce track of the time, even lower than Monza. The cars had to tip-toe through the stadium with virtually no grip. The current circuit is more conventional now, and even in 2002 the cars were suddenly carrying much more speed through that section.

#36 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:19

Ian Fergusson on Twitter: Fair continuity now in 'fcast models for a reverse of Silverstone fortunes; ie rain risk lowest Fri, highest Sun

#37 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:21

Man, going to Hockenheim is depressing nowadays. The old track was a Monza-like blast through the trees; it looked and it felt absolutely unique. This new track could be anywhere in the world. I always feel like the place has no soul anymore.

The new Hockenheim is the most bland circuit currently in F1 in my opinion. Even most of the tilkedromes usually have at least a bit of something specific about them.

#38 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:44

Can you imagine the atmosphere there after the world cup win.Would be absolutely banging if Seb won this grand prix,as his fan I would be happy if its his only win.It would make a great couple of weeks in Deutschland.(I agree with Lewis,Nico is not really German and I cant of get the feeling he is not as appreciated as one like Seb is)

Thunderstorms on Sunday?I will have some of that.

I'd say he really is German.

Not a track I'm overly fond of these days although as an Alonso / Ferrari fan, it has been the place of good results in recent years.

Both the mercs will retire and we'll win for the third time in a row here :up:

#39 Laura23

Laura23

• 825 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:52

A Germany 2000 repeat would be most welcome this year.

Advertisement

#40 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 16:09

The new Hockenheim is the most bland circuit currently in F1 in my opinion. Even most of the tilkedromes usually have at least a bit of something specific about them.

With the possible exception of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi I think I agree with you. Hockenheim is different from those tracks though because of its glorious past and the fact that I very much like the modern-day Nurburgring, so F1 races at the modern Hockenheim are always a bit sad.

Why did they reprofile Hockenheim, does anybody know? I think they completely butchered the place.

Edited by Spillage, 15 July 2014 - 16:09.

#41 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,327 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 18:58

Hockenheim is different from those tracks though because of its glorious past and the fact that I very much like the modern-day Nurburgring, so F1 races at the modern Hockenheim are always a bit sad.

I think modern Hockenheim provides better racing than modern Nurburgring, that's my impression at least.

#42 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 19:08

With the possible exception of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi I think I agree with you. Hockenheim is different from those tracks though because of its glorious past and the fact that I very much like the modern-day Nurburgring, so F1 races at the modern Hockenheim are always a bit sad.

Why did they reprofile Hockenheim, does anybody know? I think they completely butchered the place.

More grandstands, more money, shorter lap times, stuff like that.

#43 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 19:11

More grandstands, more money, shorter lap times, stuff like that.

Indeed. Shorter laps = more laps, meaning that the track advertising will be viewed more often.

#44 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 21:08

Question for anyone who has been to Hockenheim - is there a way to listen to English commentary at the track?

#45 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 23:52

Driver Press Conference line-up (Thursday 15.00 local time)

Nico Rosberg (Mercedes), Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull), Nico Hulkenberg (Force India), Adrian Sutil (Sauber), Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari), Kevin Magnussen (McLaren)

Team Press Conference (Friday 16.00 local time)
Toto Wolff (Mercedes), Christijan Albers (Caterham), John Booth (Marussia), Federico Gastaldi (Lotus), Cyril Abiteboul (Renault Sport), Paul Hembery (Pirelli)

#46 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:48

It's a double edged sword though. Make the tires too soft and everyone complains they have too big an impact. Do the opposite and people complain they aren't a factor anymore. I'll gladly take the latter just on the basis that we do have differing strategies. The only problem we have is that with the ridiculous fuel rules we don't have more people trying to push like mad from the word go. Having said that I'm really hoping that we see more deg than we did in Silverstone.

Problem last year wasn't how soft the tyres were, but it was more a problem with the construction. This year, some teams have been thrown off by how hard the compounds are. Williams for one have exactly this problem. Operating temps are hard to achieve and sustain and hence the degradation.

Yep, i miss refuelling for that reason alone. Light cars, going flat chat! Bring back that sort of racing please.... Surely there were issues with teams effing up refuelling now and then, but seriously, i thought it was better. It is not like we don't have pit-stops now. We're stopping 2-3 times, so why not stop for fuel as well. For once, it will certainly be more efficient, and they could sell sport as green. >:) Buy it Ecclestone, and do this :p

#47 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:29

Man I miss this.... 

Ahhh...the sounds of magic! The good old days of glorious V10s, beautiful circuit before it got Tilkenized. 

#48 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:37

Ahhh...the sounds of magic! The good old days of glorious V10s, beautiful circuit before it got Tilkenized. 

The problem was simple, it took time for help to get there in case of a situation. May be more ambulances could have been deployed to retain it as it was, but i wonder why it was never tried. I guess it is to sell more seats, which stadium section helps with. I think they've added a fair few seats to the current lay out, and gives paying spectators more to see.

#49 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:25

The problem was simple, it took time for help to get there in case of a situation. May be more ambulances could have been deployed to retain it as it was, but i wonder why it was never tried. I guess it is to sell more seats, which stadium section helps with. I think they've added a fair few seats to the current lay out, and gives paying spectators more to see.

Which was longer? Spa or Hockenheim?

Thing is, they just wanted or someone wanted, to make money. Thats all. 

#50 AlmightyGod

AlmightyGod

• 528 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:27

Which was longer? Spa or Hockenheim?

Thing is, they just wanted or someone wanted, to make money. Thats all. 

To be fair. Spa has more life to it. Hockenheim is kinda similar to Monza.