Ecurie Australie - A Greek Tragedy

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,167 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:49

He may be back under another name!

Never..................dreaming of a ride on Patto's boat......"slaps wrist" :eek:

Advertisement

#52 Martyn Hey

Martyn Hey

• 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:22

Stephen, unfortunately I only have the outer sheet (seem to remember the Herald was an 'extra' packed with another item I bid for on eBay;  a 60s Sandown programme I was adding to my collection). So there isn't a page 3; but for added 'nostalgia' and to lighten the tone here's Wally and the Major and Ben Bowyang from page 24...

PS Now I've found a cheaper uploading site I can re-post an enlargement of the top half of the front cover if people want to see it.

herald_y.jpg

#53 cooper997

cooper997

• 802 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21

Martyn thanks for the response, it was worth asking if that copy had any other info on the back. I'd be happy to see a clearer viewing of the top half of that Herald please? http://postimage.org should work fine for zero cost.

And well spotted John regarding the wrongly captioned photo.

Stephen

#54 Martyn Hey

Martyn Hey

• 111 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 14:02

lex_herald_1.jpg

Herald cover 20th Feb 1965

#55 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 16:34

lex_herald_1.jpg

Herald cover 20th Feb 1965

When you see how period racing cars literally disintegrated or collapsed like crushed flat pack furniture in accidents, it becomes ever more apparent how brave were the drivers and how thin a proverbial line they trod.

#56 cooper997

cooper997

• 802 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 22:42

Martyn, thank you for uploading the much clearer version. If it's not too much hassle, the bottom half would be great like that too.

Stephen

#57 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,167 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 23:24

When you read the heading of The Herald paper,I thought it was very today type of heading,rather then that of a conservative Melbourne 60s time.

#58 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 23:24

I read recently that the Ecurie Australie name is to be revived by the Davisons and used for their historic racing teams.

Dale.

#59 AlecHawkins

AlecHawkins

• 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:20

The Melbourne Herald was always a  very Conservative journal and we should never forget it  was the prime mover, along with its mates in the Liberal Party, in getting motor racing kicked out of Albert Park back in 1959.

It constantly and systematically shunned motor racing, instead, preferring to promote minor suburban football and local horse racing.

However, when Davison died (not killed) at Sandown in 1965, the rag had no compunction in plastering his death all over the front page as though "WE" were suddenly interested in motor racing .

Not much as changed

Alec

Advertisement

#60 MORGIANABEEF

MORGIANABEEF

• 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:52

I would like to introduce myself to this topic. My name is Chris Davison, and my father was Lex Davison. I am fascinated to see the subject of Ecurie Australie come up, especially at this time, as my brother Richard and I are now reviving this once famous team name, and will run our historic cars under the Ecurie Australie team. If you go to the media pages on the CAMS web site you will find the full story on why we feel that this is the right time to revive Ecurie Australie. The story was well know, but has become part of history now. It is hard to believe, even 50 years after it happened, that both Lex and his young protégé Rocky Tresize were both killed within a two week period in February / March 1965, both the cars were right offs and the team totally destroyed. Even today, if you bring the matter of Ecurie Australie up with people like Tim Schenken, Brique Reed and Lou Russo, it still draws some raw emotion from these men. How my mother coped at that time still amazes her family, but as she did with everything in her life, she carried on with great courage and dignity. One thing about the revival of Ecurie Australie that is important is that it is not about us, but it is all about honouring these great achievements and memories of the past, and historic racing is the perfect vehicle in which to do this. We are all really impressed with the many excellent people in historic racing in Australia, and how much they respect and admire the history, the great times and the machinery of the past.  Lex did not get the opportunity to race overseas much, but did enjoy some excellent results at Silverstone and Aintree in 1962. In November this year, a group of us are heading to Silverstone for the Walter Hayes Trophy, the biggest FF1600 race in the world. We have put together a lease deal with Brian Souley Motorsport, and the car will be driven by Jon Miles, who has been a regular front runner in historic FF racing in Australia for the past few years. Again, to honour what Lex achieved 50+ years ago, we are going to run Ecurie Australie badges on this car. 

#61 cooper997

cooper997

• 802 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:35

Welcome Chris, nice to have your input here. Hopefully the discussion that has appeared on here so far about Ecurie Australie, hasn't been too insensitive to you or the Davison clan.

I'd love to read your own memories of growing up in and around your dad's cars and his racing. It's a long time ago and you were young, but it would be nice to read first hand memories/experiences here.

And best of luck to you and Richard with the new Ecurie Australie effort. I'm sure your dad would be proud to see the team name back on an entry list and racing car.

Stephen

#62 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 799 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 22:39

I'm sure that I speak for all here at TNF when I say that we are honoured to have you post here, Chris.  Thank you.

#63 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 22:56

Originally posted by Chris Davison
.....Even today, if you bring the matter of Ecurie Australie up with people like Tim Schenken, Brique Reed and Lou Russo, it still draws some raw emotion from these men. How my mother coped at that time still amazes her family, but as she did with everything in her life, she carried on with great courage and dignity.....

She certainly did...

I heard her speech in presenting the trophy at Bathurst just weeks after Lex's death, it was heartfelt, it was heartwarming. From that time onwards I have referred to her as the 'First Lady of Australian Motor Racing' and I don't see that she has any successor.

You might like to read this

Tim, of course, was involved in a junior driver 'scholarship' arrangement that some thought would carry on after Lex's death, but it never eventuated. Nevertheless, it's likely that his continued career successes may have been aided by the connection that was supposed to have been forged.

The incidentals around these deaths will be a part of the subject of one chapter in Tony Loxley's upcoming Tasman Cup book.

Edited by Ray Bell, 04 August 2014 - 22:59.

#64 cooper997

cooper997

• 802 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:06

Chris Davison mentions the CAMS website for news about the Ecurie Australie revival. This link will hopefully take you there. http://www.cams.com....e-to-be-revived

Stephen

#65 MORGIANABEEF

MORGIANABEEF

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:40

Thank you for the comments regarding my wonderful Mum, especially as today [5th August] is the second anniversary of her passing. To then lose Tony 12 months later, it has left a big hole in our lives. One thing that I would like to respond to is that I do feel that there are many excellent woman in Australian motorsport, not only as competitors and officials, but also as supporters from both the family pits and the grandstands. WAMS has been set up to foster female participation in our great sport, but just seems to be missing the grass roots at this stage. I am especially proud of my daughter Claire, who is now driving her 1984 Reynard in historic racing, and I am sure that her much adored grandmother would have really enjoyed seeing her on the track. I know just how proud Claire will be to carry the Ecurie Australie colours in the future.

#66 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,225 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:55

Found this:

https://www.facebook...633073323449468

Vince H.