Photo

Oulton Park Mid Cheshire MRC Archive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:45

I'm writing a book about the Oulton Park Gold Cup meetings, in particular the Mid-Cheshire years as I have access to their archives. However, over the years various bulletin editors have come and gone and the archive pre-1967 has been mislaid. I have failed so far to find anyone who has copies of the missing bulletins. Has anyone out there any knowledge of the whereabouts of any Mid-Cheshire Motor Club and Mid-Cheshire Motor Racing Club bulletins prior to 1967 that we could at least have a look at?

Regards

Mike Allen

mikeallen1953@hotmail.co.uk

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 13:28

I'm very impressed that they have an archive as far as 1967!

#3 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 14:10

It's quite common that old docs have gone. Nobody thought they were important until the last few years. It's very frustrating when you are researching history :|

#4 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:02

Have you contacted Graham Heath who produced "A Record of Motor Racing at Oulton Park" ? If not send me a PM as I think I can find his email.

RAP

#5 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 20:45

It might be useful if you could tell us who you have been in contact with already then, perhaps, we might be able to suggest other names.

All my bulletins went to the tip some while ago but, in any case, they only started about '68.

#6 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:26

There was a book published several years ago about ALL the races at Oulton Park [maybe includes rallies and rallycross as well] by Derek somebody...he was [probably still is] a marshal there. I think he went onto write a similar book on the history of F5000.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:50

Derek Lawson is a member of this forum, and regularly attends the TNF North West group meetings.

#8 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 16:50

I have all Derek's books, I am also in close contact with Graham Heath who is also a Mid-Cheshire member but we are still sadly lacking bulletins from pre 1967. I probably have enough material to publish a book on the Gold Cup but some years I only really have a race "commentary" which is what I was trying to avoid. If there are any current or ex Mid-Cheshire members out there could they please look in their attics and see if they have any old bulletins etc.

#9 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:55

Peter (Taylor)

Sorry, lost count who I've been in touch with :-) Biggest problem is so many are no longer with us, in fact a couple I had started to contact died very soon afterwards so I was unable to really get anything. It's a sign of the times. I should have done this years ago when people like Stan Foulds, Peter Crummack, Mabel Johnson and Ron Moore to name but a few were still around. But there again there is so much that has come out of the internet that I would never have found in a million years. The club that I haven't had any contact with is Lancs and Chesh. I have sent a number of request but no replies. Why LCCC? Because along with the Mid-Cheshire, BRSCC, Chester and LAC they ran the meetings. The whole thing would never have happened if there had not been co-operation between the clubs. Many were members of multiple clubs and as Mid-Cheshire is a shadow of its former self I was looking to Lancs and Cheshire for some leads. Motor Sport were brilliant, came back with all sorts, Autosport haven't replied.  Graham Heath has a room that I haven't fully explored yet!! He has so much stuff but we are fairly sure there aren't any more bulletins in there.

Edited by mikeallen, 19 September 2014 - 14:09.

#10 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:28

I was going to suggest Dave Eyre but I can't find an address, other than Heald Green. Malcolm Hague is still around and you might be able to track him down from this:

https://www.opencomp...club-limitedthe

#11 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 15:33

Is Tom Dooley still with us, last time I contacted him he was somewhere around Hale I think but having searched cannot find his details

#12 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:43

Pete, Dave Eyre already checked his attic with little success, Malcolm and June had bulletins back to 67, Sharman, yes he is and has some interesting stuff, but not the bulletins. I'm hoping there is another Oulton get together at the Red Lion next year as I wasted an opportunity to talk to lots of people last year!

#13 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 21:45

Mike,

Have you made any progress with this? I guess it must be frustrating trying to find stuff which some folks consider junk and other folks think of as treasure?!

Here's a daft question: today I was at Oulton and the sun was shining on the lodge; there is a three arrow emblem on the roof. Presumably this dates back to the Egertons (although it is a very modern interpretation of their ancient crest). I've just been piddling about with the Elan, after a Curates' Egg of a day, as far as racing is concerned and I noticed, for the first time, that my ancient Mid Cheshire Motor Club badge only has two arrows. Why?

#14 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 14:39

Pete,

Unfortunately not. Still not given up. Hopefully publishing my book might bring some people out of the woodwork.

The original MCMC logo is (I think, back in the darkest recesses of my mind) a reference to the three arrows of the Grey-Egerton family crest but I suspect poetic licence meant that it looked better with two!!! http://www.myfamilys...me=Grey-Egerton.

Cheers

Mike

p.s. as a spectator I thoroughly enjoyed the whole meeting!

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 16:37

Just a little thought. Are any of Paddy Denton's family still in the Cheshire area? AFAIR Paddy wrote a "column" (Old Hall's Mooremanac) in the original MCMC bulletin and maybe just maybe some of the copies have survived for sentimental reasons.

#16 mikeallen

mikeallen

• 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 18:53

I don't know. I will have to ask around. Thanks for the lead.

The book was finally published on 31st Jan 2017. Anyone interested in a copy please message me.