Photo
- - - - -

Nigel Mansell for permanent race steward?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:20

The first step to make F1 attractive again, if you want real racing, the race steward needs to be a REAL racer, let the drivers cry, let them whine, priority to racing.

Let him decide when it’s to wet to race and not Charlie, if a team thinks it’s a good idea to hire a 3th class pay driver who can’t drive an F1 in the rain, it’s their problem not that of the spectators.

Edited by A310V6, 19 July 2014 - 19:54.

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:29

This is exactly why the driver steward idea was just stupid PR.

#3 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:34

Not just any driver steward, a real racer.

Thanks to Nigel we had the fight between Alonso & Vettel in Silverstone and no stupid penalty's for both of them.

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:37

What's it really matter if the steward is an ex-driver? That doesn't mean their judgement is any better or worse than Charlie's. Too recent a driver and there will be biases, too distant and the steward will likely be out of touch. And I'm fairly sure it's the cars that decide when and when not to race in the rain, seeing as the regulations painted themselves into the corner and with more than x amount of water on the track, the cars physically can't race. Which is bullshit, but has nothing to do with stewarding.

"Who we got for stewards this race?"

"We got a guy who never raced in F1, a guy who never raced at all, a guy who did race but 35 years ago, and a homeless man we found living in a shack outside one of Bernie's mansions"

"Excellent, I see no way for any botched calls here".

#5 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 16:47

No

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 17:54

I like the idea of a permanent steward but I doubt it would solve all the problems. Beaux Barfield in Indycars is probably as good a race headmaster as you're going to find but there have been some huge shitstorms on his watch.

#7 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 19:26

What's it really matter if the steward is an ex-driver? That doesn't mean their judgement is any better or worse than Charlie's. Too recent a driver and there will be biases, too distant and the steward will likely be out of touch. And I'm fairly sure it's the cars that decide when and when not to race in the rain, seeing as the regulations painted themselves into the corner and with more than x amount of water on the track, the cars physically can't race. Which is bullshit, but has nothing to do with stewarding.

"Who we got for stewards this race?"

"We got a guy who never raced in F1, a guy who never raced at all, a guy who did race but 35 years ago, and a homeless man we found living in a shack outside one of Bernie's mansions"

"Excellent, I see no way for any botched calls here".

That's bullshit too. It can be difficult, yes, but you can ALWAYS go slower, but today's drivers don't seem to know about that.

#8 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 19:28

It will not solve all problems, but it would be a step in the right direction and Nigel has enough backbone to resist some shitstorms J

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 20:39

Not just any driver steward, a real racer.

Thanks to Nigel we had the fight between Alonso & Vettel in Silverstone and no stupid penalty's for both of them.

So you think he was the only one making the decisions?

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 20:47

That's bullshit too. It can be difficult, yes, but you can ALWAYS go slower, but today's drivers don't seem to know about that.

The problem with modern F1 cars is that you can't go slower than a certain critical level. This critical level is a point, where the brakes stop working altogether, because they don't generate enough heat.

#11 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 21:04

I dont care who it is.

Mansell, Flavio, an experienced gokart racer, the local paperboy, or a computer program.

What I'd like is mere consistency across the board, from battle to battle and race to race.  Simply to know what the laws are, and to know that they're enforced in the same way every time.

#12 A310V6

A310V6

• 79 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:12

@Clatter "So you think he was the only one making the decisions?"

I’m sure he wasn’t there to serve the coffee  and he had a very big influence, for me there was a clear difference in mentality with the priority now on racing.

@sopa "The problem with modern F1 cars is that you can't go slower than a certain critical level"

An F1 in “normal” rain is faster than the pace car on dry, rain tires are very good, let them race.

@alfa1 "or a computer program"

For me there’s a big difference between crossing a white line in qualification and crossing the same white line in an intense wheel to wheel battle (like we had in Silverstone).

To make this judgment you need the best.