* * * * * 2 votes

2014 German Grand Prix: The Race

• Please log in to reply
706 replies to this topic

#1 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:11

As per topic! With Hamilton out of position, where will we see him finish?

Advertisement

#2 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,359 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:28

Where will we see him finish? Second - I guess.

Fingers crossed for a (partially) wet race!

Edited by r4mses, 20 July 2014 - 01:29.

#3 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:56

Not sure if Williams will fight for the win but I still think Rosberg will win anyway with Hamilton coming 4th behind the two Williams

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:06

I did nazi qualifying, anne frankly I'm getting tired of the Louie & Nick show anyway.

Here's hoping for a good race.

#5 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:59

Merc will get a one two. Hamilton will run long on the primes in the first stint and have pass half the field and get clean air when the rest pit.

Williams 3, 4, led by Bottas.

Then will come a mix of Vettel, Ricciardo, Magnussen and Alonso which will come down to the race start and pit strategy.

Edited by Thomas99, 20 July 2014 - 02:59.

#6 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:40

I think...

1. Ros
2. Bot
3. Ric
4. Ham
5. Vet
6. Alo
7. Mag

Massa retires again.

#7 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:47

I dunno why but I can't see Williams maximizing both cars, so Bottas on the podium with the 2 Mercs and Massa 6th - behind Ricciardo and Vettel...

#8 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:51

I dunno why but I can't see Williams maximizing both cars, so Bottas on the podium with the 2 Mercs and Massa 6th - behind Ricciardo and Vettel...

In my opinion, they've been focusing on one car since last year... the feeling still remains that it is the same car somewhat which gets more of their focus. I would like for Bottas to be signed up by some other team, just for kicks :p

I suspect, Rosberg wins this one. Williams will run close and a couple of RBR's. So behind the Mercedes, as usual, there will be chaos. Of course, there's another Mercedes starting from the back, and it seems it will come into play a bit after half or two thirds of the race. May be even a podium? Car's still pretty dominant and has competition licked, so why not?

#9 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:13

mercs chewing tires ... that's what i wanna see  :smoking: 

#10 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:19

In my opinion, they've been focusing on one car since last year... the feeling still remains that it is the same car somewhat which gets more of their focus.

That of course was a charge often laid down at RBR as well - Bottas is William's Vettel to Massa's Webber :p

#11 Talisker

Talisker

• 384 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:23

Who can tell? Will depend on a range of different factors, such as whether Bottas can get ahead of Rosberg at the start. Hamilton will probably make up a load of places quickly like in Austria. I predict P11 by the end of lap 1, P3 by lap 10.

#12 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:59

Rosberg blowing a break disk giving Bottas the win. Hamilton second ;)

#13 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:06

In my opinion, they've been focusing on one car since last year... the feeling still remains that it is the same car somewhat which gets more of their focus. I would like for Bottas to be signed up by some other team, just for kicks :p

I suspect, Rosberg wins this one. Williams will run close and a couple of RBR's. So behind the Mercedes, as usual, there will be chaos. Of course, there's another Mercedes starting from the back, and it seems it will come into play a bit after half or two thirds of the race. May be even a podium? Car's still pretty dominant and has competition licked, so why not?

:rolleyes:

Oh please... Bottas the #1 driver who misses how many FP1's again? Maybe a few more of these are appropriate...  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Edited by Menace, 20 July 2014 - 06:09.

#14 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:07

That of course was a charge often laid down at RBR as well - Bottas is William's Vettel to Massa's Webber :p

When did Vettel have to compromise his weekend by giving away race weekend practice sessions to test drivers?   :p

Edited by Menace, 20 July 2014 - 06:08.

#15 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,456 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:11

Here's hoping for a bit of rain! Spice things up a bit until Charlie red flags the race once drivers go straight onto wets.

Rosberg for the win, Bottas 2nd and up in the air for third between Mag/DR/Vet/Alonso/Hamilton, don't see Massa holding onto 3rd.

#16 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:11

The fact that some people think Bottas is already getting priority treatment, tells us that he has finally cracked the lid of the top driver tier.   :D   ;)

#17 Niceone

Niceone

• 1,387 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:15

There's word that they have to make big changes for Hamilton's brakes. Meaning that he would have to start from pitlane

#18 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,874 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:27

therefore a safety car might be lewis best bet to catch up to the field

#19 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:28

That's yesterdays news. They've changed his brake supplier for the race. They were hoping he could still start 15th by arguing "it's for safety reasons" but I don't expect that argument to be won.

Advertisement

#20 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:29

Could be interesting today with Massa and Vettel right behind their younger teammate. Neither looked to happy after Qualifying. I wouldn't be surprised to see some fireworks as they try to gain back "alpha male" status in their team. 

#21 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:34

Overcast with light rain at the minute.

#22 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,684 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37

Expecting the Toro Rosso's to let Lewis through as he steams to second after a few brilliantly timed safety cars.

#23 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:39

As per topic! With Hamilton out of position, where will we see him finish?

2nd if the backmarkers are kind to him. 4th if not.

#24 fullthrottle

fullthrottle

• 489 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:45

MERCEDES AMG F1 @MercedesAMGF1 6m

We can confirm that @LewisHamilton's gearbox will be changed for the race owing to accident damage incurred yesterday. 5 place penalty.

#25 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:45

Lewis to come 3rd, Bottas to win.

(either a genius prediction or I will look a hopeless mug lol)

#26 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,729 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:51

If he's starting from the pitlane, they can move to a race set up. I expect Lewis to be very quick today.

#27 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:54

However, starting from the pitlane means that you lose the benefit of a very fast start, ending the first lap in P15 perhaps.

#28 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:59

I think the Mercedes cars have an inherent design quirk/flaw with their brakes - we saw it at canada - and again at austria where they had to nurse their braking systems.

If the Williams cars can put real pressure on Rosberg and he is not at his leisure to manage his brake temps, then interesting things might happen in the latter part of the race...

Personally, I don't think that Hamilton will be able to pass the two Williams cars if he manages to move up to 4th. (providing they are running 2-3)

With two guaranteed podium spots up for grabs, no one is going to do him any favors when he starts into the top ten runners.

A win for Williams is not necessarily out of the question, but they need to really have their act together and catch a bit of luck.

IMHO For a Williams car to not finish somewhere on the podium would be a total failure.

#29 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,874 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:59

so lewis now starts 20th

#30 HammyHamiltonFan

HammyHamiltonFan

• 703 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:01

so lewis now starts 20th

from the pitlane more likely

#31 Laster

Laster

• 3,926 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:04

I'd just really want it to be a wet race, we haven't had one in forever. I think it would be a good race even if it was dry what with Hamilton starting at the back and the Williams looking competitive, but I could just do with the added excitement of rain.

#32 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:05

Pity Lewis has a 5 place grid penalty. Meanwhile it looks like it is going to absolutely chuck it down soon, will it still be damp (an "inters to dry" race) come race time in just under 4hrs.

#33 RC127

RC127

• 1,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:15

Check out @ fergieweather's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ fergieweather/status/ 490770151181385728

#34 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:19

Cant wait for a wet race. Surely Hamilton's chances for a win is higher now?

#35 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:21

Ian Fergusson's weather tweets basically suggest the rain will gradually ease north, should be a dry start, there's a muted model signal for showers into the race window with rain more likely later afternoon/evening, but it's definitely not impossible that rain could hit during the race and it'd be a gamble to say it'd definitely be a fully dry race. Oh and of course all the rubber will be currently being washed away.

#36 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:22

Cant wait for a wet race. Surely Hamilton's chances for a win is higher now?

There's absolutely no guarantee whatsoever it'll be a wet race. it's entirely possible it could be bone dry from start to finish

#37 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:24

However, starting from the pitlane means that you lose the benefit of a very fast start, ending the first lap in P15 perhaps.

But at the same time, if he did start 15th (or even 20th) he'd be more at risk of getting caught up in someone elses accident or being spun around etc. In 20th maybe less likely, pitlane start I'd say even less likely (as he obviously has to wait for everyone to go past the pitlane exit and then catch up to the back of the pack).

#38 akshay380

akshay380

• 602 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:29

Ill be usually down with Lewis's crash yesterday and such a low starting position. But for some reason, I am feeling very positive today. Feeling he will do something special today. Its Hammertime  :clap:  :clap:

#39 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:33

Nico  DNF

Bottas Wins.

Lewis 2nd

Alonso 3rd.

Advertisement

#40 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:35

Wet race would be nice..

Potential for a great race with Lewis charging from the back on a track which allows overtaking into the hairpin.. and a decent car in a straightline.  It could be dull up front with Merc and Williams following each other and having steady gaps.. so hopefully the start or some rain mixes it up.

The temps and conditions will be different from the practices?  That alone should change things a little.  The tyre wear will be a bit of an xfactor and a greasy track would make it even more interesting.

Looking like Nico and Bottas for the podium spots with any number of people contending for the third spot.  It's not really nice or fair to Massa to assume he will miss it.. but it usually turns out that he does.  Bottas is on form at the moment but even back in Malaysia, already Massa's pace was disappointing.. and if it'd been quicker there would have been no need for team orders.  Canada and lots of other disappointing races later.. one after the other.. always with a list of excuses, so it seems to be assumed it will happen again.

Unfortunately this usually turns out to be right.  But you never know, Massa could get 2nd.  All drivers in F1 are good and can have their day especially with a good start of a bit of luck.

#41 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:36

Here's hoping for a bit of rain! Spice things up a bit until Charlie red flags the race once drivers go straight onto wets.

Rosberg for the win, Bottas 2nd and up in the air for third between Mag/DR/Vet/Alonso/Hamilton, don't see Massa holding onto 3rd.

Yeah, here's hoping if it IS wet that they are allowed to race a bit.  Otherwise it's just a tease.. :(

#42 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:40

What you're implying doesn't make any sense though. Why is it Bottas then who has to give up his car in FP1s. Doesn't make any sense. :p

#43 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:42

If nothing unexpected happen then easy win for Rosberg, 2-3 are more open Williams showed great speed in last races, but RB was quick in FP, plus it's very hot and Williams eats rear tires quickly.

#44 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:44

I think the Mercedes cars have an inherent design quirk/flaw with their brakes - we saw it at canada - and again at austria where they had to nurse their braking systems.

Not sure where you get that from, Austria was just a case of managing the brakes, like they do at many circuits.

Canada was an MGU issue on both cars, then rear brake failure for Lewis.

Yesterday was component failure on a brand new part, nothing to do with Merc. Lowe said there have been other similar failures on other cars this year.

#45 alcoman

alcoman

• 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:58

1. ROS
2. HAM
3. BOT
4. RIC
5. ALO
6. MAS
7. HUL
8. PER
9. MAG
10. KVY

#46 LeMans86

LeMans86

• 213 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:09

No pitlane start for Hamilton 'cause FIA argues that changing disc brands complies with "similar in mass, inertia and function to the Original".
Which I think is a bit of a weird decision, since I'm quite sure both mass and inertia differ between the Brembo and Carbon Industries ones.

#47 RonnyRonny

RonnyRonny

• 366 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:11

A green track should help Lewis too, 4th place would be a good result considering everything that happened yesterday.

Let it rain!

#48 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:14

If nothing unexpected happen then easy win for Rosberg, 2-3 are more open Williams showed great speed in last races, but RB was quick in FP, plus it's very hot and Williams eats rear tires quickly.

Bottas didn't eat his tyres much at all last race, but didn't follow practice much so far this weekend.  Hoping for some nice surprises in the race!

#49 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,727 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:16

Sporting regs say a part can be changed for one "similar in mass, inertia and function to the original," and the FIA accepts that

However Lewis already has a 5-place gearbox change penalty so looks set to start 20th anyway

#50 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:16

Not sure where you get that from, Austria was just a case of managing the brakes, like they do at many circuits.

Canada was an MGU issue on both cars, then rear brake failure for Lewis.

Yesterday was component failure on a brand new part, nothing to do with Merc. Lowe said there have been other similar failures on other cars this year.

Merc should pay you some commission for PR. :p

If problems keep happening with the brakes, there could be something.. even if the problems themselves aren't directly related.

Sometimes things indirectly relate to each other.  And most other teams aren't having brake problems at all.  Since Canada it's 3 brake related issues.  A 4th or a 5th and you'd start to wonder.  It's good though if it's true, no car can be too perfect.. they are on the edge, so there always has to be something.  If they never have any problems with anything, they aren't pushing hard enough.