Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Driver of the day (German Grand Prix)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Who was your driver of the day (223 member(s) have cast votes)

Who was your outstanding driver of the day at the German Grand Prix

1. Nico Rosberg (8 votes [3.59%])

Percentage of vote: 3.59%

2. Valtteri Bothas (69 votes [30.94%])

Percentage of vote: 30.94%

3. Lewis Hamilton (72 votes [32.29%])

Percentage of vote: 32.29%

4. Daniel Ricciardo (47 votes [21.08%])

Percentage of vote: 21.08%

5. Sebastian Vettel (2 votes [0.90%])

Percentage of vote: 0.90%

6. Fernando Alonso (21 votes [9.42%])

Percentage of vote: 9.42%

7. Other (4 votes [1.79%])

Percentage of vote: 1.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:15

Who will you consider as the most outstanding driver of the day, Without a doubt I think it was Lewis Hamilton , however he did have the help of a dominant Mercedes engine and a special shout goes to Valtteri Bothas and the ever impressive Daniel Ricciardo. Hamilton however edges it this time

Edited by Newbrray, 20 July 2014 - 15:18.

Advertisement

#2 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:39

Ricciardo for me.

Excellent racing from him. Good close wheel to wheel tussles without any incidents.

Good race on the whole.

#3 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,928 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:40

Hamilton fan, but I'll give this one to Bottas.

#4 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:42

I keep going back and forth between Daniel and Bottas.

I voted Bottas now, but I know in a about 5 seconds I'll be wanting to vote Dan again.

Then Bottas.

Then Dan.  :drunk:

#5 masa90

masa90

• 2,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:51

Between Nico and Bottas, but this went to Nico. Made it look easy.

Speedwise it was Lewis but he just made a bit mess out of it.

#6 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 15:58

Lots of good hard racing out there. Bottas did a great job from quali through to the race so it goes to him. DR also had a good comeback after lap 1, as did LH from his 20th slot on the grid.

#7 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:23

Bottas definitely. Cool under pressure against Hamilton with so many laps on one set of tyres.

#8 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:31

Hamilton by a country mile! :up:

#9 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:34

Dan and Bottas equal.

Massa is the Dud of the Day.

#10 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:57

I gave my vote to Bottas, but had there been a multiple option poll of would have put both Bottas, Ricciardo, Hamilton and Alonso as driver of the day. They all did great.

I start to think that Vettel already has met his match. Seem to be nothing he can do that Ricciardo can not do better.

#11 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:59

I think it's unfair to have one driver of the day today. There were several guys who did a job that you simply can't demand to be bettered and it depends on your personal liking who you chose as the "driver of the day". For example, Rosberg has got little votes eventhough he didn't put a foot wrong this weekend and won with a comfortable margin. It was an easy win, but you can do nothing better in circumstances like that.

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 17:03

Great races by Nico, Lewis, Fernando and Daniel.

Valtteri just tops them all IMHO with his great drive in the last few laps while him team was already advising him to concede to Lewis.

#13 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 17:04

Ricciardo, bottas and Hamilton all deserve it

#14 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 17:08

I think it's unfair to have one driver of the day today. There were several guys who did a job that you simply can't demand to be bettered and it depends on your personal liking who you chose as the "driver of the day". For example, Rosberg has got little votes eventhough he didn't put a foot wrong this weekend and won with a comfortable margin. It was an easy win, but you can do nothing better in circumstances like that.

He could have lapped the whole field, that would have been impressive. Did he even get the fastest lap? No, seriously, I know what you mean and I agree, but fact is that Nico could have gone faster while it is hard to believe that Hamilton and Bottas could have gone faster.

Yes, Hamilton had an incident with Button and although I do think Button should have anticipated a Merc on his inside, HAM made a misjudgement there. He also drifted into Kimi's front wing, damaging it, in a slightly over optimistic attempt so maybe I would not put him on my "drivers of the day" list after all.

But an unchallenged leader in a car that is so much faster that his team mate, in spite of starting last (almost) makes it into a podium after driving half the race with a heavily damaged front wing,  that is not really impressive.

#15 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 17:59

Well, if it wasn't Lewis Hamilton coming from 20th to 3rd almost 2nd than it was certainly Massa...

#16 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:29

I'm a little biased, but valtieri did another stellar job for williams!!!
but all three of the podium drivers did great races.

#17 911

• 2,227 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:33

It was close for me.  I picked Lewis over Bottas, but just barely.  

#18 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:36

Where is NH??

Destroyed his team mate .... who started on the same row as him during the race.

#19 Elloh

Elloh

• 412 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:37

Well, if it wasn't Lewis Hamilton coming from 20th to 3rd almost 2nd than it was certainly Massa...

Well it wasnt like the cars between was the same as Hamiltons Mercedes? The most dominant car in the 2000´s and wonder how far back. We didnt get to really know how fast it was this race since Rosberg didnt have to push. It was 67 laps to catch other drivers with a car at least 1s faster per lap, 4th place was 44s behind Rosberg and if he would be so far back it would have been a failure). Hamilton drove a bit recklessly and should be happy that his car didnt get (more) destroyed (Especially when Kimi had to take action and drive forward in the hairpin when Ham locked up).

Advertisement

#20 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:38

Don't think what hamilton did was impressive at all. Half the grid could do that...

I voted Ric. Alonso's performance was second best today.

#21 Molo19

Molo19

• 195 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:42

Dan for me. Would have loved to see him beat Alonso, but still a great drive.

#22 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 18:59

Did he even get the fastest lap? No, seriously, I know what you mean and I agree, but fact is that Nico could have gone faster while it is hard to believe that Hamilton and Bottas could have gone faster.

He stood no chance of setting the fastest lap, there were some guys with so big tyre advantage in the last stint. There's no point in driving faster if you know there's no threat from behind. Anyone in his place would cruise around to bring victory home. F1 is not about bringing the car from start to finish in the shortest possible time, it's about bringing the car home in front of others.

Maybe Hamilton could have gone faster if not that slight misjudgement that damaged his front wing after a contact with Button. He failed to overtake Bottas with such a big tyre advantage (if it was Rosberg who failed to do that, I'm sure some of Hamilton's fans would say Hamilton wouldn't fail in that situation. :p ). His race was not the ideal one. Could he do better job than Rosberg if he didn't have the misfortune in qualifying? We can't discount that possibilty. Could I imagine his race to be even better today? Yes. He could beat Bottas if some things have gone the other way (contact with Button for example). Could I imagine Rosberg to do more today? No.

#23 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:18

Ricciardo if he would have overtaken Alonso at the end.. So Hamilton, but their car is so fast that I expect them to end in the podium even if they start at the back.. This isn't the first time that a driver with the fastest car finishes in the podium after starting at the back in this track.

#24 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:30

I am Lewis fan, but he made a few risky moves today. As long as overtaking does the job I am fine with aggressive moves, especially when Lewis is behind the wheel. But touching other cars is a no-go in my books.

Bottas did good job, but once again Massa got screwed... Call me biased, but it will take more than this for me to acknowledge him as a top driver.

But the real winner for me is Ricciardo - I am thrilled with this guy. I never thought I would support any driver until Lewis retires, but soon that might change.

#25 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 19:58

Ricciardo or Bottas for me.

Bottas another assured driver, and didn't falter under pressure at the end. Ricciardo, for a great recovery in what is not the fastest car on circuit. And unlike Hamilton, all his passes were clean and without contact.

Like I said in the race thread, Hamilton's drive was good, but not outstanding for me. In a car that is so much faster than everything else on the grid, it wasn't a surprise he finished on the podium, plus he was rather lucky he didn't have to pit for a new front wing.

#26 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,678 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 20:07

Hamilton, clear as day.

#27 redreni

redreni

• 4,709 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 20:14

Not sure what race the OP was watching. Surely the key to starting a race from the back in a dominant car is to show patience and to keep your nose clean, so that you can use your pace? Hamilton was quick, but the car is quick, and he did make contact with three other cars, and force Ricciardo off the track, so he was a bit lucky not to suffer more extensive damage and/or find himself on the wrong end of a stewards' decision for causing a collision and/or crowding another car beyond the edge of the track.

I give it to Bottas for another quick, solid drive, and for his coolness under pressure and his determination to make it hard for Hamilton to pass him, despite the rather downbeat and, frankly, defeatist radio transmissions coming from the Williams pitwall.

Edited by redreni, 20 July 2014 - 20:14.

#28 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 20:24

Ricciardo for me, as I noted in the Rate the GP-thread. He was very entertaining, and pulled some genuinely good moves, going toe-to-toe with some of the most highly rated drivers out there. :up:

#29 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 20:46

Bottas.

Once again had has built this 'relax guys, I got this' aura around him and had a terrific weekend. It can't easy in a (going by recent history) midfield team, even if they have developped a very good car.

#30 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 21:00

My post was deleted for some reason, it seems. I'll repost it, though:

Bottas. Has been impressive all weekend and held on to bring home another great result.

Ricciardo gets honourable mention for doing very well with a tough situation and showing some serious heart and skill overtaking and defending.

Lewis' achievement on-paper would normally deserve my consideration but I think he had a fairly sloppy race. Combined with his car advantage, I cant say I was all that impressed by what he did and I'm surprised that so many other people are.

Edited by Seanspeed, 20 July 2014 - 21:01.

#31 OSX

OSX

• 4,877 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:32

Hamilton. And a special mention to Ricciardo.

#32 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 575 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:39

I say Alonso out of the poll options really because he managed to fight with everyone and I thought against stronger cars like the Red Bull and such that he did a fine job. Lewis was expected because of him and the car, Bottas kind of the same and Ricciardo. 

To me Maldonado to be in the points for somewhat most of the race in a terrible car was pretty good work even though he didn't get any points. 

Edited by Wheels23, 21 July 2014 - 02:39.

#33 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:26

Daniel with special mention to Lewis.  I initially picked him as MOR last night, but was reminded (by a Lewham fan) that he does have the dominant car - so I changed my mind and picked Daniel - great job, great defending, no mistakes - just brilliant

#34 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:24

I start to think that Vettel already has met his match. Seem to be nothing he can do that Ricciardo can not do better.

He isn't as good at the Schumi chop as Vettel yet (seriously where did Vettel expect Kimi to go? )

http://i.imgur.com/Tl0xRdw.png

Edited by travbrad, 21 July 2014 - 05:24.

#35 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,726 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:01

Ricky, Lewis too clumsy.

Edit, or maybe Bottas.

Edited by Lazy, 21 July 2014 - 07:01.

#36 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:09

I can see people voting for Lewis, but he has such a dominant car actually it is quite disapponting that he didn't place second. 

What special did Ricciardo do? He even got overtaken by Alonso.

Bottas on the other hand was flawless all weekend.

#37 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:07

I can see people voting for Lewis, but he has such a dominant car actually it is quite disapponting that he didn't place second. 

What special did Ricciardo do? He even got overtaken by Alonso.

Bottas on the other hand was flawless all weekend.

If Bottas has been flawless all weekend so has Ricciardo. Let's see, reason why Ricciardo is up for DOTD

- Beat Vettel in qualifying by a handy margin

- Avoided contact from the Massa/Mag accident which dropped him back to 15th

- Scythed his way through the pack along with Lewis (without the extra fresh tires that Lewis had and also having a lousy Renault PU)

- Had many excellent overtakes

- Had an epic battle with Alonso and managed to keep him behind for a few laps despite Alonso having the faster and more fresher tires

- Ended up only 8-9 seconds from Vettel despite the opening lap (which potentially would have been closer if he didn't have Alonso behind as he was catching Vettel by at least 0.5 sec a lap)

- No mistakes

Bottas on the other hand has now the second fastest car, Williams has been second quickest since Austria and ended up where he was expected to be. Held off Hamilton well at the end using the better traction and engine at that point in the race.

Between Ricciardo and Bottas for me. Ricciardo edges this one purely because Bottas ended up where I expected him to given how quick Williams have been.

Edited by v@sh, 21 July 2014 - 08:10.

#38 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:22

If Bottas has been flawless all weekend so has Ricciardo. Let's see, reason why Ricciardo is up for DOTD

- Beat Vettel in qualifying by a handy margin

- Avoided contact from the Massa/Mag accident which dropped him back to 15th

- Scythed his way through the pack along with Lewis (without the extra fresh tires that Lewis had and also having a lousy Renault PU)

- Had many excellent overtakes

- Had an epic battle with Alonso and managed to keep him behind for a few laps despite Alonso having the faster and more fresher tires

- Ended up only 8-9 seconds from Vettel despite the opening lap (which potentially would have been closer if he didn't have Alonso behind as he was catching Vettel by at least 0.5 sec a lap)

- No mistakes

Bottas on the other hand has now the second fastest car, Williams has been second quickest since Austria and ended up where he was expected to be. Held off Hamilton well at the end using the better traction and engine at that point in the race.

Between Ricciardo and Bottas for me. Ricciardo edges this one purely because Bottas ended up where I expected him to given how quick Williams have been.

In my books keeping Hamilton behind (who had a quicker car and newer supersofts vs very old softs) is a much bigger achievement that letting Alonso through. Ferrari is also a worse car than Red Bull.

Sebastian was just conserving tyres and car in the end. He was too far away from Hamilton and Bottas. 

#39 v@sh

v@sh

• 1,452 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:43

In my books keeping Hamilton behind (who had a quicker car and newer supersofts vs very old softs) is a much bigger achievement that letting Alonso through. Ferrari is also a worse car than Red Bull.

Sebastian was just conserving tyres and car in the end. He was too far away from Hamilton and Bottas. 

How can you call that letting Alonso through? He let Alonso through after how many laps? Despite Alonso on the faster super soft tires. Alonso on fresh new tires was catching DR at 1sec per lap and even more against Vettel. To generalize that Ferrari is also a worse car than Red Bull because of how the season has gone so far is silly in the context of the race at that point especially when Alonso qualified less than a tenth behind one of the RBs in qualifying.

You asked what a special race Ricciardo did and I listed it for you and that's all you come back with. Sounds like you're basing your opinion on Ricciardo's drive all on 'letting' Alonso through.

Bottas meanwhile is now driving a car that is 2 tenths behind the Mercs and half a second faster than the Red Bulls.

Advertisement

#40 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:20

I'm astonished that Lewis can be ranked so highly in this poll. He was basically a shoo-in for second place but ballsed it up by ramming into the side of Button. 3rd is an underperformance in that Mercedes.

Credit to Bottas for keeping it neat over the last few laps and using the Williams' dragster qualities to keep Hamilton behind. The Williams is the only car that causes the Mercedes any difficulties on the grid at the moment.

Star of the race has to be Ricciardo. What a ballsy racer, keeping Hamilton behind as they both fought through the field, and fighting tooth and nail with Alonso.

#41 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:10

Voted for Bottas since he was absolutely faultless and very clever managing Hamilton. A strong second for Ricciardo because he showed some serious racecraft against Alonso and that is very impressive by itself.

#42 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:36

Voted Bottas, but Ricciardo and Hulkenberg both impressive too.  Puzzled by the Hamilton votes considering he hit both Kimi and Button, damaging his own car with the latter.  Coming through the filed with a car that dominant and on the track is not difficult, and if he managed it cleanly he could have got 2nd.

#43 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 23:46

Not completely true.  Hamilton had newer supersofts but the damage to his front wing was making every left front tyre he put on grain up badly (it was easily visible even from the off-board cameras).  That's why he repeatedly understeered wide into that 2nd right-hand corner where he needed to be close to Bottas to get a run at him.  The one area that Hamilton needed to be faster than Bottas he wasn't.

I'm not taking anything away from Bottas though, it was a great drive from him.  Ricciardo and Bottas had such different races that it's really hard to compare the two.  Bottas drove fast and consistently the whole race, and stayed out of trouble.  Ricciardo also stayed out of trouble, but doing so dropped him to 15th so he then had to fight his way through the field.  Both were impressive in their own ways.

Voted Bottas, but Ricciardo and Hulkenberg both impressive too.  P

Yeah every time they showed that Force India it looked dead slow in every single corner.  7th was honestly a great result considering how poor their car looked in that race.

Edited by travbrad, 21 July 2014 - 23:49.

#44 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 15:23

I'd say Bottas or Alonso.

Hamilton will get plenty of plaudits but I thought he had a pretty scruffy day and one more than one occasion, was lucky not to have crashed out. That said, it was exciting to watch.

A mention also for 'K-Mag' who I thought drove well considering what happened at the start.

Edited by Jon83, 22 July 2014 - 15:24.

#45 demet06

demet06

• 126 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 17:56

Bottas, he never put a foot (or wheel) wrong. Hamilton hit 2 cars and could have been 2nd if he hadn't.

#46 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,678 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 18:00

Voted Bottas, but Ricciardo and Hulkenberg both impressive too.  Puzzled by the Hamilton votes considering he hit both Kimi and Button, damaging his own car with the latter.  Coming through the filed with a car that dominant and on the track is not difficult, and if he managed it cleanly he could have got 2nd.

He didn't hit Kimi, Kimi got caught in a sandwich.  He did hit Button, sort of, after Button held out a sign saying "pass this side please".  Not difficult. . . .  :stoned:

#47 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 18:09

Alonso was solid as always, hard to judge Nico.. you can't penalise him for having a good car but at the same time, it made it very easy and Lewis was good too but also a few risky moves (that didn't really hurt him) where he dove up the inside hoping they'd see him.  You could argue he lost 2nd place but overall it didn't really hurt him his pace was easily fastest despite any wing damage.  Sometimes I wonder if bodywork damage actually helps them.. like Wurz in Canada years back with a broken rear wing.  Bottas was good but had a pretty easy/cruisy race.. until Hamilton caught him, when he did, he drove very smartly.  People talk about straight line advantage but he was maximising traction on exists especially onto the straights.  It helped that he had the harder tyre (vs Lewis on the softer tyre) but still.  Vettel was solid too.  Ricciardo was a very impressive 6th place, don't know if I've ever thought that a 6th place could be so impressive.. but he drove above and beyond all expectations which he's pretty much been doing all season.

It's nice to watch a race like that where 5 or more drivers are driving so well, on a track that allows them to fight.  The tyre wear and extra pitstops helped too..