- - - - -

F1 in Canada

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blanchimont2002

Blanchimont2002

• 199 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 16:43

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but here goes...

I'm moving to Canada from the UK in August, leaving behind Sky coverage and all the Martin Brundle-ness that it entails.

I was wondering what the coverage for F1 is like in Canada, specifically Vancouver where I'll be living. I've been on holiday and watched the odd race, but it's been just the race, from warm up lap to podium that's it. None of the ore-show etc.

Is that still the coverage?
Which channel is the f1 on?
Will I be able to watch f1 content on the BBC/Sky website while over there?

I've had a look online for answers, but what I've found seems mostly to be from a few years ago.

Many thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

#2 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:04

Welcome to the Great White North.

We watch F1 on the TSN (or sometimes TSN2) channel, this year we actually got extended coverage on F1 compare with previous years. 

We're now getting LIVE Friday practice 2 (1 hr 30 min), LIVE Saturday qualifying (1 hr 15 min) and LIVE Sunday race (usually 2 hr).  The commentators for the Friday practice footage are James Allen and Allan McNish.  For Saturday and Sunday coverage, the commentators will be David Coulthard and another gentleman (I'm not sure his name since TSN never display the commentators' names)   In addition, every Thursday or Friday, there's a half hour program called F1 Inside Line on the TSN2 channel. 

Although this is no comparison with what you're used to get in the UK, but it's already an improvement for us.  Previously, we only got the qualify and race coverage. 

#3 D28

D28

• 2,012 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 20:18

Welcome to the Great White North.

We watch F1 on the TSN (or sometimes TSN2) channel, this year we actually got extended coverage on F1 compare with previous years. 

We're now getting LIVE Friday practice 2 (1 hr 30 min), LIVE Saturday qualifying (1 hr 15 min) and LIVE Sunday race (usually 2 hr).  The commentators for the Friday practice footage are James Allen and Allan McNish.  For Saturday and Sunday coverage, the commentators will be David Coulthard and another gentleman (I'm not sure his name since TSN never display the commentators' names)   In addition, every Thursday or Friday, there's a half hour program called F1 Inside Line on the TSN2 channel. 

Although this is no comparison with what you're used to get in the UK, but it's already an improvement for us.  Previously, we only got the qualify and race coverage. 

TSN is carried on most basic cable packages, but TSN2 is not. Thus if F1 in on TSN2 like yesterday you will be out of luck with basic cable.

The German GP was preempted by the British Open and the British GP was also not carried on TSN. This is a new wrinkle for 2014, as previously almost all races were carried on TSN (basic cable). I believe the race coverage with David Coulthard is the BBC package.

#4 Blanchimont2002

Blanchimont2002

• 199 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:02

Thank you both! Just what I was after, thank you again!

I'm not sure what cable we will have, definately basic cable at least (and hopefully a more sophisticated cable!). I'm really pleased that there are practise sessions etc,always welcomed!

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm looking forward to an adventure in moving to Canada (while of course watching f1!)

#5 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:45

TBH I wouldn't get cable. It's astonishingly expensive for the 4 channels you will actually use. Go FTA, netflix and stream the rest. You're looking at $70 a month for absolutely stripped own cable, $100+ if you start adding packages. It's ludicrous. 

#6 grackle

grackle

• 279 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 23:45

Rogers cable is once again carrying SPEEDTV. Now known up here as Fox Sports Racing (FSR). http://www.prnmag.co...gs_Complete.pdf