Marko: McLaren & Mercedes target Vettel

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#1 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:25

http://www.nextgen-a...arko,79626.html

McLaren and Mercedes have targeted Sebastian Vettel, the German magazine Sport Bild reported on Wednesday.

The sport said Mercedes sees the reigning world champion as a potential new teammate for fellow German Nico Rosberg beyond 2015, after Lewis Hamilton’s current contract expires.

And Red Bull’s Dr Helmut Marko, who has Vettel under contract until the end of next year, said McLaren has made the four-time title winner an "outrageously" high offer.

"Of course they target him," Marko added.

Fascinatingly, Mercedes’ Toto Wolff did not deny the German marque might be interested in Vettel.

"This world is too competitive to want to go into our plans in the public," he said.

"We are talking about a handful of top drivers. All the best teams fight over them.

"We try to build a picture of how the market moves until we come to our decisions," Wolff added.

I'm little bit surprise to learn that Mercedes wants Vettel..

Advertisement

#2 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:30

I don't think I'd be surprised at Mercedes going for Vettel but I'd be surprised if Hamilton was not driving for them in 2016.

#3 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:30

Surprising that they are interested in the slower Red Bull driver.

Edited by DavidHeath461, 23 July 2014 - 13:30.

#4 brett_sequeira

brett_sequeira

• 2,807 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:32

what about Lewis? 

#5 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:35

I'm surprised that you are surprised that other top teams could want Vettel.

#6 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:39

Vettel looking for greener pastures after departure of Newey. tch tch  :p

#7 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:42

Maybe as their test driver? :lol:

#8 SHODAN

SHODAN

• 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:42

I'm surprised that you are surprised that other top teams could want Vettel.

They have Hamilton and Rosberg. Vettel doesn't count as an upgrade over either of those two, unless you consider him being a German a worthwhile bonus.

#9 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:43

Teams are certainly targeting Vettel at the right time - when he is having a tough time in his career and could have second thoughts.

Good to see that Vettel is in demand considering he is badly "exposed" this year. :p

#10 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:45

Mclaren maybe,Mercedes does not make sense.I think ,all in all ,the Nico-Lewis harmony is just perfect at the moment,neither driver has gone over the limit when pushing each other and they should have  the WCC wrapped up shortly so I foresee them sticking with them for a long time.

As a Seb fan,I find a move to Mclaren intriguing. They.They are kind of like where they were pre ferrari before Schumi joined them,headless.If Seb can take the humongous risk and join them next year,cashing all his chips on Honda making a mega PU and it works out,his reputation will be through the roof.

The more I think about it,the more I think it would be a mega move.He has nothing to prove in RBR anymore,he has shown he can will races left right and center and has the titles to show it.A Maclaren move would finally shut the "he can only win in Newey rocketships' hype.

Plus,he would finally get the mega salary that a driver of his quality would deserve.

#11 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:46

Interesting.

I assume they want Vettel as the lead driver role at McLaren next to Magnussen. But what role are they trying to fill at Mercedes?

#12 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:47

Surprising that they are interested in the slower Red Bull driver.

Vettel is already a proven top star, who can deliver under pressure, and even if he is having difficulties, he is young and expected to be strong in whichever team he is hired to. 

Ricciardo is very good as well. Maybe teams are waiting to see a bit more from him (how he performs over a full year) and perhaps he is already in a long-term contract with Red Bull, which means it would be harder to hire Ricciardo than Vettel.

Also we have to consider the stages of their careers. Vettel has achieved so much he can really take gamble on McLaren-Honda, it would be a new fresh start. But for Ricciardo it doesn't make sense to move to McLaren now just when he got his career going brilliantly in a good car and in good driving form.

I am slightly surprised by Mercedes rumours, because they do not make sense and it doesn't make sense for Mercedes GP to destabilize their in-team harmony during such critical championship fight as well.

#13 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:49

They have Hamilton and Rosberg. Vettel doesn't count as an upgrade over either of those two, unless you consider him being a German a worthwhile bonus.

Maybe its to cover the possibility of Hamilton deciding to move back to McLaren - having options is never a bad thing as unlikely as a scenario seems (see Lewis/McLaren 2012 ;) )

#14 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:50

Mercedes may be playing along as they are supposedly in the midst of contract discussions with Hamilton. Maybe they're trying to get Lewis's asking price down. Likewise I'm sure Vettel would appreciate his "in-demand" status so that he can strengthen his hand within RBR against the rise of Ricciardo.

These games are played every year and very little actually changes except that drivers get a pay rise in their existing team.

#15 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:51

I'd be happy if Vettel replaces Lewis when his contract expires cause then IMO Nico would have a slightly easier time of it  :p

#16 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:53

Mercedes may be playing along as they are supposedly in the midst of contract discussions with Hamilton. Maybe they're trying to get Lewis's asking price down. Likewise I'm sure Vettel would appreciate his "in-demand" status so that he can strengthen his hand within RBR against the rise of Ricciardo.

These games are played every year and very little actually changes except that drivers get a pay rise in their existing team.

Would being in demand strengthen his position in the team? Surely Red Bull would just take the attitude "Look, we have a driver who is beating you consistently and costs far less"

#17 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,304 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:54

Vettel/Alonso in McLaren-Honda?  :stoned:  :stoned:

#18 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:56

LOL at you lot saying why would Seb be considered when he is struggling this year.

Simple,because the team principals and team management have waaaaaaay more data and experience to know that judging a driver after a few dismal races from his part  (Bahrain,Austria,China) and bad luck/inferior strategy in the others does in no way negate what he has achieved and could achieve in his career in F1.

Seb is still a top,top driver within the F1 circle,of course any team will brak the bank to have him because they know that if they give him a car that he understands,he will bring home the goods consistently.

#19 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 3,348 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:56

I have in mind, that Ron Dennis said in a interview, that he wants to have Alonso or Vettel in his team.

Advertisement

#20 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 13:57

If someone thinks money has no nationality he is wrong.

Mercedes had two German drivers before not just by coincidence.

It would also explain why Lewis isn’t as happy and smiling as he used to at the beginning of the season. Personally I think there is a LOT going on behind the scenes in Mercedes camp. And it’s not in Lewis’s favor.  As long as the car is 1 sec faster and pretty much every driver could win driving it,   they don’t need Lewis.  

#21 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:00

I had not thought about it like this.Interesting power play.

Is Hamilton having higher demands with regards to his contract?I think he is on 20 M an year or so?

#22 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:00

I have in mind, that Ron Dennis said in a interview, that he wants to have Alonso or Vettel in his team.

He also said that he will be OK with Lewis coming back, Honda and McLaren are desperate to get one of the top 3 drivers, Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso, all of them have a big offer from Honda.

Edited by kosmos, 23 July 2014 - 14:00.

#23 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:01

LOL at you lot saying why would Seb be considered when he is struggling this year.
Simple,because the team principals and team management have waaaaaaay more data and experience to know that judging a driver after a few dismal races from his part (Bahrain,Austria,China) and bad luck/inferior strategy in the others does in no way negate what he has achieved and could achieve in his career in F1.

Seb is still a top,top driver within the F1 circle,of course any team will brak the bank to have him because they know that if they give him a car that he understands,he will bring home the goods consistently.

Which race did he have an inferior strategy?

#24 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:03

Vettel looking for greener pastures after departure of Newey. tch tch :p

True. I think he's also quite rattled by Ricciardo. He knows he won't win any more championships at Red Bull if he can not even beat his own teammate. Problem is I think he would have just as hard a time against Rosberg or Magnussen.

#25 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:04

If someone thinks money has no nationality he is wrong.

Mercedes had two German drivers before not just by coincidence.

It would also explain why Lewis isn’t as happy and smiling as he used to at the beginning of the season. Personally I think there is a LOT going on behind the scenes in Mercedes camp. And it’s not in Lewis’s favor.  As long as the car is 1 sec faster and pretty much every driver could win driving it,   they don’t need Lewis.  

Rubbish,they pay Lewis a  mega,mega salary to drive for them.If they wanted a German who can easily win in this year's car they would have chosen Hulkenburg or even Sutil,very cheap drivers who as you said,would win in this year's cars in a canter.

Hamilton won four races in a row at the beginning of the year,of of course he was smiling then.

#26 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:07

Which race did he have an inferior strategy?

I would bite but that would just dis orient the thread and have the mods kick us out,and I dont think we would agree anyway so why bother?

#27 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:09

Vettel/Alonso in McLaren-Honda?  :stoned:  :stoned:

I don't know how many gray hair did Ron Dennis get back in 2007, but he must be a bit of a masochist and look forward to getting some more...

#28 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:13

I am preparing a noose for myself

#29 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:19

I would bite but that would just dis orient the thread and have the mods kick us out,and I dont think we would agree anyway so why bother?

He may have had inferior strategy at one race, but atleast he didn't get taken out by Massa and sent to the back of the grid.

#30 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:20

I had not thought about it like this.Interesting power play.

Is Hamilton having higher demands with regards to his contract?I think he is on 20 M an year or so?

We don't have any details yet I think, but Nico Rosberg just got a hefty pay rise with his new contract if you believe the news reports.  

#31 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:22

We don't have any details yet I think, but Nico Rosberg just got a hefty pay rise with his new contract if you believe the news reports.  

You certainly need to sign a contract at the right time to get a good salary. IIRC Button extended his McLaren deal in 2011 and as he was having a great year, he got a pretty good salary. One, which annoyed Hamilton in 2012 as he wanted even more while negotiating with McLaren... Arguably.

#32 Kop Alonso

Kop Alonso

• 312 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:22

I am quite surprised that no one has read this article ?

"We are already sitting together and negotiating with Lewis about a multi-year contract," said Wolff, speaking to Austria's Kronen Zeitung newspaper.

"Lewis is a fixed part of the team, and I would hope for a long time to come."

http://www.telegraph...m-together.html

Edited by Kop Alonso, 23 July 2014 - 14:23.

#33 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:25

Wolff has said they've just sat down with Hamilton (or his management) to talk about prolonging the deal, as his current contract ends after the '15-season. Perhaps they could contemplate offering Vettel a ride, but I think this is just leverage for the talks that has just been started.

I am a bit surprised about McLaren having offered him a concrete deal (as Markko says) 'cause if I were them, or any other top-ish team, I would wait a little, and see if he can get closer to Ricciardo.

I'm prepared to get my head chopped off for this, but I'm not sure he'd represent a step up from Button, or a second-year Magnussen for that matter.

#34 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:29

True it is off topic. Perhaps you could let me know in the Ricciardo vs Vettel thread?

#35 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:30

Seems unlikely to actually happen but plausible.

Vettel going to McLaren would be kind of like Hamilton's move to Mercedes. Moving out of home type of thing for an exciting new challenge. Vettel would be a pretty much ideal replacement for Button in a similar way to Hamilton being a great replacement for Schumacher.

Vettel going to Mercedes would make sense because he is German and Hamilton (or even Rosberg) might go to McLaren (or even Red Bull etc) after his Mercedes deal is done.

Red Bull might have realized they can survive without Vettel and be willing to let him go because Ricciardo is doing so well, Kvyat is looking very promising not to mention all the other drivers (Alonso, Hamilton, Button, Hulkenberg, Raikkonen etc) they could potentially replace him with.

Edited by bub, 23 July 2014 - 14:30.

#36 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:39

Vettel to McLaren-Honda would be great, I don't think the Merc line up will change for awhile though.

#37 Anja

Anja

• 10,257 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:42

It's Dr Marko speaking, since when his words are to be taken seriously? :p

#38 doc83

doc83

• 935 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:45

Rubbish,they pay Lewis a  mega,mega salary to drive for them.If they wanted a German who can easily win in this year's car they would have chosen Hulkenburg or even Sutil,very cheap drivers who as you said,would win in this year's cars in a canter.

Hamilton won four races in a row at the beginning of the year,of of course he was smiling then.

They had no clue that the car was going to be so much faster. If RB and Ferrari  was right on their tail they would need Lewis. Now they don’t.

#39 pokerkid

pokerkid

• 289 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:48

I'm little bit surprise to learn that Mercedes wants Vettel..

probably because its rubbish. They have Hamilton so why would they want vettel especially when he is struggling? I don't believe that rumour for a second. Hamilton is going nowhere.

Advertisement

#40 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:50

They had no clue that the car was going to be so much faster. If RB and Ferrari  was right on their tail they would need Lewis. Now they don’t.

:rolleyes:

#41 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:50

probably because its rubbish. They have Hamilton so why would they want vettel especially when he is struggling? I don't believe that rumour for a second. Hamilton is going nowhere.

It was probably before they signed Rosberg again.

#42 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:54

And they have no idea how quick they will be compared to McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari next year and the year after. Do you think Mercedes will just assume they are going to have a much better car than everybody else for ever?

#43 stuck-in-first-gear

stuck-in-first-gear

• 1,877 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 14:57

An all German driver line-up might be more interesting for Merc, also given the decline in TV ratings.

Hamilton is not a house hold name compared to Vettel in Germany, especially if Rosberg is to become WDC 2014.

#44 SHODAN

SHODAN

• 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 15:00

So they're after Vettel? :rotfl:

But seriously, they have no ability to predict their performance for the next season. Past performance is not guarantee of future success. If they went for Hamilton because they wanted the best there was, then staying with Hamilton is their best option going forward.

#45 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 15:02

Sounds like Mercedes want to lower Hamilton's asking price by starting small rumor about Vettel. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Lewis signs long extension like Rosberg soon.

McLaren and Vettel rumor though sounds very likely.

Kinda confused after years of Vettel to Ferrari rumors I though Alonso would be stronger candidate to McLaren.

McLaren already lost sponsors etc and really need big profile driver to boost image Vettel multiple champ fits that.

Only question is how well will Honda be involved next year is it just engines?

McLaren doesn't seem to be moving up at all so far.

Edited by BiH, 23 July 2014 - 15:02.

#46 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 15:12

As a McLaren fan I would rather have Alonso over either of these two.

Prefference would be in this order.

Alonso

Vettel

Hamilton

-----

The biggest shock of this thread is now many people have already decided to believe Vettel has been shown up by Ricciardo. Its fanciful to suggest the first half of this season has undone the last 6 years where he has been awesome. In fact, its desperate in my book.

I'll draw conclusions on Seb if the current situation with his teammate beating him is still in place this time next year.

Edited by Burtros, 23 July 2014 - 15:18.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

I'm prepared to get my head chopped off for this, but I'm not sure he'd represent a step up from Button, or a second-year Magnussen for that matter.

I think Vettel would be a step-up from Button. There are two reasons. One is obvious - Vettel is much younger and hence has greater long-term future. McLaren needs to look to the future. Other is that even despite the hard 2014 Vettel seems less prone to serious setup/balance issues and "being nowhere in qualifying". It has happened sometimes in his career, but less than Button.

As for Magnussen, you are right as it is unclear, how good can he possibly be.

#48 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Would being in demand strengthen his position in the team? Surely Red Bull would just take the attitude "Look, we have a driver who is beating you consistently and costs far less"

Being in demand simply reminds Red Bull that their prize asset should not be taken for granted. In the past I believe Marko and Vettel have played this card to control the direction of development. Ricciardo is going well but it's only been 6 months, he is not a 4x WDC, and all the marketing jazz that goes with that. They aren't going to want to lose Vettel having essentially lost Newey. Snowball territory.

Generally I'm sure the top guys don't mind when they are ambiguously linked to other top teams unless it gets to the point of rumors that they are seriously negotiating as this would actually undermine their position as they would look disloyal. See also Alonso last year.

And personally I think if any of the big players is actually going to move over the next year or two it is Alonso. He's running out of time and patience. McLaren might be worth the gamble.

Edited by goingthedistance, 23 July 2014 - 15:15.

#49 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

RBR has dominated 2010-2013 and they were second only to Brawn in 2009 and to Mercedes this year. I fail to see Vettel wanting to move to Mclaren for logical reasons.

#50 ollebompa

ollebompa

• 791 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 15:19

If I recall corecctly Seb was Mercs first choice to replace Michael but he declined.

Edit: There was a roumor.

Edited by ollebompa, 23 July 2014 - 15:22.