Photo
- - - - -

Who was the best driver of the 2014 Hungarian GP weekend?

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

Poll: Driver of the day (423 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you consider the driver of the day

1. Daniel Ricciardo (113 votes [26.71%])

Percentage of vote: 26.71%

2. Fernando Alonso (184 votes [43.50%])

Percentage of vote: 43.50%

3. Lewis Hamilton (103 votes [24.35%])

Percentage of vote: 24.35%

4. Nico Rosberg (2 votes [0.47%])

Percentage of vote: 0.47%

5. Kimi Raikkonen (10 votes [2.36%])

Percentage of vote: 2.36%

6. Felipe Massa (2 votes [0.47%])

7. Jean Eric Vergne (5 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

8. Sebastian Vettel (2 votes [0.47%])

9. Valtteri Bothas (2 votes [0.47%])

10. Jenson Button (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:03

Who WIll you consider as the Driver of the day 

Australian Daniel Ricciardo winning his 2nd Grand Prix with a fantastic drive 

Fernando Alonso with a gutsy drive to 2nd on the podium

Lewis Hamilton roaring  from pitlane to podium in another astonishing performance by the Mercedes driver

A notable mention to Felipe Massa, Jean Eric Vergne (who showed flashes of superb driving ), Kimi Raikkonen (Nice recovery drive) 

Take your pick

Advertisement

#2 Shuralonso

Shuralonso

• 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:07

Ricciardo had the best strategy, Hamillton had the best car, but ALONSO was the best driver

#3 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:09

You can't put Hamilton or Alonso ahead of the other. Hamilton was on a tyre 1.5 seconds a lap slower for 30 laps. More than equalised the cars.

#4 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:14

Alonso or Ricciardo.  The Ferrari can't be that bad because the pace and tyre wear was very strong.  But still.. he drove exceptionally and Ricciardo had one bit of luck for the SC, but after that had another SC (that hurt him) and from there drove flawless.

I can live with either option.  Rosberg and Hamilton both drove pretty bad races in a good car.  Hamilton recovered, Rosberg did not.  It seemed like Rosberg had a problem with his car, he was that bad behind Vergne.  And Lewis was pretty solid but that spin on the first lap cost him, and just in general was very amateurish.  His handling of the pace/strategy in the second half of the race was very clever though.

#5 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:16

Alonso.

Ricciardo was amazing; but almost winning in that Ferrari. My god.

#6 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:17

Its between Ricciardo and Alonso. They were both exceptional.

I gave it to Ricciardo because he won the race, but Alonso also deserved it.

Hamilton's last place to beat his team mate looked very good

#7 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 575 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:17

Easily Fernando. That guy is like another tier in F1. I wish the Ferrari was a better car. 

#8 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:18

It's either Alonso or Ricciardo. Hamilton? Come on.

#9 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:19

Alonso

#10 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:20

lol, again with these ham fanboys votings. :lol:

#11 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:26

Fernando Alonso, nearly winning with at best the 3rd car in performance.

Of course a great race by Daniel Ricciardo as well, and a honorable mention to JEV.

#12 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:32

LH. He not only came back from starting from the pitlane, he had the balls to show the incompetent pricks in his team his middle finger, and fight for his position. NR has all but said he would have done the same, so 90% of the blindfolded BS said about that is just that. Ricciardo is next in line for the best driver position, he not only made his 4 time WDC teammate yet again look like a second rate Mark Webber clone, he won on merit. Alonso has pulled a Perez, and came in second after losing a position. I do understand why Ferrari fans are elated, but he was def not the best today.

#13 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:38

Hamilton? I think any "driver of the race" should be spin free.

#14 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:40

Fernando and Daniel, though Daniel consequently doing the crucial passes at the end in only one lap edges it for me. The guy is the best thing since Vettel & Hamilton entered the sport, and clearly has the potential to become better than both of them. Great kid!

Edited by Jovanotti, 27 July 2014 - 16:41.

#15 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:42

LH. He not only came back from starting from the pitlane, he had the balls to show the incompetent pricks in his team his middle finger, and fight for his position. NR has all but said he would have done the same, so 90% of the blindfolded BS said about that is just that. Ricciardo is next in line for the best driver position, he not only made his 4 time WDC teammate yet again look like a second rate Mark Webber clone, he won on merit. Alonso has pulled a Perez, and came in second after losing a position. I do understand why Ferrari fans are elated, but he was def not the best today.

Having the fastest car, spining because his brakes are not at working range, benefiting from saftey cars and showing middle finger to his team is enough for fans to vote lewis for best driver?

Ric/Alo were better today, no doubt about that.

#16 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:42

A Mercedes with medium tyres was not the fastest car

#17 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,928 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:43

I don't get why Raikkönen is in this poll. Gutiérrez drove very well today, he deserves a mention.
I voted Ricciardo, I would put Alonso second, Vergne was also amazing.

#18 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:44

Having the fastest car, spining because his brakes are not at working range, benefiting from saftey cars and showing middle finger to his team is enough for fans to vote lewis for best driver?

Fastest car ?

A damaged front wing

In traffic the whole race

and using the harder compound for over a third of the race

How was he the fastest???

Edited by Newbrray, 27 July 2014 - 16:44.

#19 jestaudio

jestaudio

• 2,059 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:45

Hamilton, Alonso and Ricardo , very different drivers but all outstanding racers today

Advertisement

#20 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:46

Alonso or Ricciardo.  The Ferrari can't be that bad because the pace and tyre wear was very strong.  But still.. he drove exceptionally and Ricciardo had one bit of luck for the SC, but after that had another SC (that hurt him) and from there drove flawless.

Ah,  I really missed that comment all this time! But luckily it is here again  ;)

So... Niki Lauda said a few days ago that Ferrari's car was ****.

Then, the man went to the Ferrari team boss to apologise for saying that.

10584024_657450270998730_369535531353490

No one here was really disagreeing too much with Lauda's opinion...

But today Alonso drives a good race, and suddenly the "Ferrari's car must not be that bad" comment appears again in the forum... Must be a coincidence  :p

I did vote Alonso, but they all put a great show today.

It is unbelievebable how the top guys almost never collide into each other even in close battle situations, and the ones at the back of the grid cause a safety car every ten minutes because they lose control of the car in the straights...

Edited by Hanzo, 27 July 2014 - 16:48.

#21 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:49

Fastest car ?

A damaged front wing

And how did that come about?

#22 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:50

No doubt it was Ric  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

#23 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:50

Fastest car ?

A damaged front wing

Guy, he damaged it all by himself.

And what traffic are you talking about? He overtook half the field in what, 10 laps at hungary? He was lucky as well to have that SC to be right at the tail of that front runners.

Mercedes + hard compound should be faster than ferrari + soft compounds...

Edited by Radion, 27 July 2014 - 16:52.

#24 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:51

You could make a case for any of the top 3. Ricciardo had the right strategy, Alonso the right tyres and Hamilton the right car. All had fairly exceptional races for differing reasons but Hamilton did spin, and Alonso ran wide at turn one..... didn't notice any errors from DR so he probably shades it.

#25 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:51

LOL, wot? As I said, Alonso pulled a Perez. I always find a one-less-stopper lame, and it was lame. It was a nice drive, nothing more, IMHO.

#26 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:55

LH. His pass on Alonso was fantastic. Oh wait...

#27 OilFour

OilFour

• 798 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:56

lol, again with these ham fanboys votings. :lol:

Starting in the pit with your teammate on pole and still manage to finish in front off your teammate, it was a stellar drive. Although if you ask me the man of the race is Alonso, dragging that Ferrari to P2? Just brilliant.

Edit .. as always

Edited by OilFour, 27 July 2014 - 16:57.

#28 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:58

LOL, wot? As I said, Alonso pulled a Perez. I always find a one-less-stopper lame, and it was lame. It was a nice drive, nothing more, IMHO.

Sorry but your reasoning is lame.

#29 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 16:58

And how did that come about?

because his brakes were cold and not up to temp as he didn't do the warm up lap with the cars on the grid…..lets dig deeper then, 

whose fault was that, well it was because he started from pit lane, and whose fault was that

well his car caught fire in qualy….and whose fault was that?

see where am going with this??

Edited by Newbrray, 27 July 2014 - 16:59.

#30 surbjits

surbjits

• 943 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:00

Alonso has pulled a Perez, and came in second after losing a position. I do understand why Ferrari fans are elated, but he was def not the best today.

lol not sure if srs

#31 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:00

because his brakes were cold and not up to temp as he didn't do the warm up lap with the cars on the grid…..lets dig deeper then, 

whose fault was that, well it was because he started from pit lane, and whose fault was that

Yes, nowhere.

Did mag or kvyat spin because they had to start from the pits?

#32 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:02

Ricciardo easily. He did not make a single mistake and won brilliantly. 

Lewis spun at the beginning and was a bit petulant. 

Alonso drove well, but it was strategy that put him there, but well done to him for holding onto his tyres. 

Nico was going to run away with that race but was buggered by the SC; his main problem was not getting close enuogh to Hamilton in that crucial stint. 

So definitely Dan. 

#33 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:02

Yes, nowhere.

Did mag or kvyat spin because they had to start from the pits?

Are they using the same brakes as the mercedes??

#34 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:03

I don't know where you're going with that. He simply f*&^%d up as far as I can see.

#35 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:04

Are they using the same brakes as the mercedes??

Are you going to tell me that the mercedes drivers will spin every time they can't heat up their brakes and other drivers don't have to worry about that because they again are using different brakes? Seriously?

Edited by Radion, 27 July 2014 - 17:04.

#36 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:04

Nobody wants to counter my point that a soft Ferrari is faster than a medium Mercedes?

#37 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:07

Nobody wants to counter my point that a soft Ferrari is faster than a medium Mercedes?

There's nothing to counter really.

Lewis seemed to be faster than alonso at the end because his tyres had some live in them. Didn't manage to overtake though.

#38 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:10

There's nothing to counter really.
Lewis seemed to be faster than alonso at the end because his tyres had some live in them. Didn't manage to overtake though.

Over a stint, the mediums weren't faster. Probably 30 seconds slower if anything.

#39 Riverside

Riverside

• 3,382 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:12

Are you going to tell me that the mercedes drivers will spin every time they can't heat up their brakes and other drivers don't have to worry about that because they again are using different brakes? Seriously?

Those other drivers were even at the end of pit row 30 minutes before the race started while Lewis left the garage at 5 minutes to 

race start because they were WARMING THE BRAKES .

Advertisement

#40 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:13

Over a stint, the mediums weren't faster. Probably 30 seconds slower if anything.

I'd have to look up the lap times again. You don't happen to have them at your disposal? :p

Tbh, I haven't paid much attention to the time difference between the compounds this week. How much was it?

#41 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:13

Alonso and Ricciardo, hard to judge who of those two, then I personally put Rosberg in third, he did nothing wrong today.

#42 Logiso

Logiso

• 311 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:16

If they were so bad, why did they put them on? They had more fresh soft tyres than Alonso, and pitted later. Alonso gave them the option of doing that strategy by managing tyres, the Ferrari isn't a Force India on its tyres. Also let's not forget Alonso had to make key overtakes to get track position over Rosberg, Vettel etc in the first place as he was screwed over just as bad as those guys by the first safety car. He drove amazingly to get into the position to be able to control the race in the first place, there was no luck in that. AND his car doesn't have a Merc engine, so it isn't that much of a rocket on the straight - it was even noted in qualifying how slow it was on the straights iirc. Hamilton drove a good race but had a lot of luck on his side(not to get damage when he made the mistake on lap 1, the safety cars wiping out a 30s gap after the first few laps etc). The only argument is between Alonso and Ricciardo IMO.

#43 Altair

Altair

• 96 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:18

Alonso with clearly the slower car of the top five.

#44 Briz

Briz

• 453 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:21

It is unbelievebable how the top guys almost never collide into each other even in close battle situations, and the ones at the back of the grid cause a safety car every ten minutes because they lose control of the car in the straights...

Yeah the top guys leave the track numerous times and spin in style without causing SC, that's what separates them from the rest.

#45 Newbrray

Newbrray

• 2,750 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:22

I don't know where you're going with that. He simply f*&^%d up as far as I can see.

Dude,

HE came from the pitlane and on to the podium on a racetrack that is notorious for lack of overtaking and yet you say he had a crappy drive. in 2012 Vettel started from the pit lane and got on top the podium in Abu dhabi where overtaking is possible and there were 2 safety car incidents to help along the way. He clipped one of the toro rosso and hit one of the braking zone stands or cones yet everyone hailed him then as the driver of the day with an astonishing drive in a  car might I add that was a cut above the rest of the field.

Fast forward 2 years later and its a different story.

Yeah right 

I don't care if the Lord Jehovah himself farted in his ICE to give him extra BHP….it was a good drive.

#46 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:24

Gotta be Fred. Exactly like his 2012 vintage.

Edited by George Costanza, 27 July 2014 - 17:25.

#47 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:25

If they were so bad, why did they put them on? They had more fresh soft tyres than Alonso, and pitted later. Alonso gave them the option of doing that strategy by managing tyres, the Ferrari isn't a Force India on its tyres. Also let's not forget Alonso had to make key overtakes to get track position over Rosberg, Vettel etc in the first place as he was screwed over just as bad as those guys by the first safety car. He drove amazingly to get into the position to be able to control the race in the first place, there was no luck in that. AND his car doesn't have a Merc engine, so it isn't that much of a rocket on the straight - it was even noted in qualifying how slow it was on the straights iirc. Hamilton drove a good race but had a lot of luck on his side(not to get damage when he made the mistake on lap 1, the safety cars wiping out a 30s gap after the first few laps etc). The only argument is between Alonso and Ricciardo IMO.

Lord knows why they put them on...
Hamilton's overtakes were also brilliant and brought him into contention. The SC wasn't lucky for him, merely unlucky for Rosberg. He was 13th when it came in.

Ricciardo gained 2 secs from old to new softs.

Hamilton vs Alonso, note the 4 laps HAM had in clean air on 25 lap old softs vs the rest of his race

http://macofan.com/e...=Lewis Hamilton

Ricciardo was the luckiest with the safety car, his slow pace lucked into being the first to pit under SC, but still drove a MARVELLOUS race.

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 July 2014 - 17:26.

#48 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 610 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:29

Ricciardo easily. He did not make a single mistake and won brilliantly. 

Lewis spun at the beginning and was a bit petulant. 

Alonso drove well, but it was strategy that put him there, but well done to him for holding onto his tyres. 

Nico was going to run away with that race but was buggered by the SC; his main problem was not getting close enuogh to Hamilton in that crucial stint. 

So definitely Dan. 

Actually he like all top 4 lost in strategy, in first SC round Button, Riccardo, Hamilton, Raikkonen, Vergne, Massa..and most of the grid all of them benefit from one lap earlier pitstop, Rosberg, Bottas, Vettel and Alonso lost on it badly it moved them from 1-4 to something like 4-9. Crucial to Alonso podium was quickly overtaking of Vettel and Vergne after that pitstop while the rest stuck in train (Vergne-Rosberg-Vettel-Hamilton)

Edited by ArkZ, 27 July 2014 - 17:34.

#49 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:34

Without a doubt Alonso.

His car is a total dog and he did brilliantly.

Daniel was great again but the RBR is a better car and Lewis did great but it's to be expected with that rocketship of a car.

#50 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 17:40

Ricciardo or Alonso, I'll give it to Daniel since he won but there's almost nothing in it between these 2. Hamilton's spin counts against him otherwise he would have been considered as well. Riosberg has no real excuse for not winning.