Photo
- - - - -

Summer Break: Who is the best driver so far?

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Summer Break: Who is the best driver so far? (Read the rules first) (531 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick only 3 drivers

1. Nico Rosberg (103 votes [8.17%])

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

2. Lewis Hamilton (222 votes [17.61%])

Percentage of vote: 17.61%

3. Daniel Ricciardo (386 votes [30.61%])

Percentage of vote: 30.61%

4. Fernando Alonso (302 votes [23.95%])

Percentage of vote: 23.95%

5. Valtteri Bottas (151 votes [11.97%])

Percentage of vote: 11.97%

6. Sebastian Vettel (8 votes [0.63%])

Percentage of vote: 0.63%

7. Nico Hulkenberg (14 votes [1.11%])

Percentage of vote: 1.11%

8. Jenson Button (6 votes [0.48%])

Percentage of vote: 0.48%

9. Felipe Massa (3 votes [0.24%])

Percentage of vote: 0.24%

10. Kevin Magnussen (2 votes [0.16%])

Percentage of vote: 0.16%

11. Sergio Perez (1 votes [0.08%])

Percentage of vote: 0.08%

12. Kimi Räikkönen (9 votes [0.71%])

Percentage of vote: 0.71%

13. Jean-Eric Vergne (2 votes [0.16%])

14. Romain Grosjean (1 votes [0.08%])

15. Daniil Kvyat (19 votes [1.51%])

Percentage of vote: 1.51%

16. Jules Bianchi (18 votes [1.43%])

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

17. Adrian Sutil (2 votes [0.16%])

18. Marcus Ericsson (3 votes [0.24%])

Percentage of vote: 0.24%

19. Pastor Maldonado (8 votes [0.63%])

Percentage of vote: 0.63%

20. Esteban Gutierrez (1 votes [0.08%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,867 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:40

-The forum only allows a poll with 20 choices, so I decided to remove the last 2 drivers in the WDC, Chilton and Kobayashi.

-Votes are private.

-Pick only 3 drivers.

Advertisement

#2 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:49

I went for Hamilton from the front two (beaten rosberg 5-3 in straight(ish) fights)
Ricciardo for surprise package of the season
Kvyat for rookie

Edited by superdelphinus, 28 July 2014 - 12:52.

#3 rmac923

rmac923

• 486 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:52

I voted:

Ricciardo: For surpassing everybody's expectations of just being Vettel's lapdog.

Hamilton: Who would be comfortably be the WDC leader if it weren't for so many gremlins.

Alonso: Who has made the absolute best of a **** car, driving for a team with their heads up their collective *****.

HM: Rosberg/Bottas

#4 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:53

Bot
Kvy
Ric

#5 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:55

I went with Ricciardo - who is taking the fight to Seb in a most impressive way - Alonso, just cos he's consistenly awesome and so far ahead of Kimi I actually feel sorry for the guy, and Bottas, who I'm very impressed by.

I'll be interested to see how many votes Hamilton and Rosberg get. While they've both had their moments, neither driver has exactly blown me away this year.

#6 Borko

Borko

• 2,226 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:59

I would say yesterday's podium was absolutely representative about this season's best drivers, in no particular order.

#7 vgrocco

vgrocco

• 104 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:01

1-2. Ricciardo and Alonso

3. Hamilton (Bottas a close 4th)

#8 Balnazzard

Balnazzard

• 2,038 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:01

I went for:

-Rosberg (for sure he has the best car under him, Ham has had more technical difficulties with his car, but he is still championship leader and has proven to be match for Hamilton)

-Alonso (maximum results with the crappy car he has)

-Bottas (future champion,can still be the best of the rest behind Mercedes drivers by the end of the championship)

Honorable mentions: Ricciardo and Hamilton

Edited by Balnazzard, 28 July 2014 - 13:05.

#9 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:05

For me Ricciardo, Alonso and Bottas, for different reasons, but all were very impressive.

And I am not blown away from either of the Mercedes guys, neither of them is running a clean year.

#10 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:08

I went for D.R, Lewis and Alonso (in no order as they are racing under different situations and circumstances),

Bottas, Button, Hulk and Rosberg all deserve a honorable mention.

#11 AD2B

AD2B

• 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:09

Ricciardo and Bottas have been stand out stars for me this year.

I'm also saying that HAM has been driving better than ROS, but the former has had much better luck.

#12 yr

yr

• 6,007 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:10

I have to say I am very impressed by Ricciardo, I think he is best driver of the year so far, easily. Bottas has surprised me also, after that it´s more difficult find any stand out drivers. Mercedes is too good car for ranking either NR or LH and Alonso is benefitting for Kimis extra poor performance - meaning, I don´t think FA has done anything special this year, just being better than Kimi who has been totally lost. Kvyat maybe third best, as he has been better as a rookie as I would have expected.

#13 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:14

Ricciardo for me. Stunning effort.

Alonso as always doing thing no one else would be able to in that car

Bottas - looking like the real deal.

#14 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:14

Have to bare in mind the context for each driver

LewLew - 25% less laps in testing than Rosberg, 0 wet laps but takes 3 wet poles (natural talent if you ever saw it), 2 career best drives in Bahrain and Hungary. Been the undisputed king of fuel and tyre management intrateam. Had plethora of issues which have constantly put him on the back foot from day 1 (front wing failure in testing??) has a very able teammate but has a very real edge.

Ricciardo - brand new team, still young, but full of confidence and taking it to Vettel with his sheer speed. Yet to see him wind up in a situation where he may need to get his claws out, but done a mesmerising job.

Alonso - unrivalled consistency, but has the team fully behind him in terms of strategy, reliability etc. No pressure from external factors (NO WDC) and rarely from Kimi. Putting his all into everything and getting his rewards. A few small errors but nothing major.

Kvyat - brand new to F1 and is really looking like star quality. Was 19 when he started the year. 19! Great quali speed and doesn't fall away in the races. Can develop into future WC

Bottas - rough start to the year with his crash into the barriers but since then has been mostly consistent and blisteringly quick at times. Great race pace and is utilising his car v well.

#15 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:33

I went for Ricciardo, Alonso and Bottas mainly on the fact they're getting some great results and performing to a higher standard than their teammates. Speedwise there doesn't seem to be a lot between Hamilton and Rosberg but Rosberg has looked slightly slower while Hamilton has made some mistakes when it counted so I didn't include either of them.

#16 sabjit

sabjit

• 2,992 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:36

Who voted for Vettel?

#17 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:37

Alonso, Ricciardo 

gap

Hamilton 

gap

Rosberg

#18 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:40

Ricciardo,Alonso and Bottas if I can only pick 3. Hamilton and Rosberg just behind.

#19 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:42

I have been most impressed by:

Daniel Ricciardo; the way he's adapted to the 'big team' and to having Vettel as his teammate is very exemplary. He's given Vettel a massive wake-up call, and that's no mean feat given that he is - whether you rate him among his statistical equals or not - a four time World Champion.

Valtteri Bottas; he showed some promise last year, and confirmed it with this season's much better Williams. He might not (yet) be a top driver, but the way he kept his cool under sometimes significant pressure was great to see. He's leading Massa, though perhaps not by as big a margin as the points suggest, and that too is pretty good.

Fernando Alonso; this guy just keeps going and going, dragging that Ferrari up the ranking with drives that are sometimes nothing short of spectacular. Just think of how different F1 would be if it had been Alonso and Ferrari taking those titles in 2010 and 2012, a feat they were - let's not forget - only a handful of points from achieving. But as other drivers in the past have shown, you don't need five titles to be an all time great.

The Mercedes drivers have done what you'd expect them to with the massive car advantage they have this year. Hamilton probably has the edge over Rosberg, but for various reasons he's making it much harder on himself than it probably needs to be. With the risk that I'm not giving Rosberg the credit he warrants, I do think that this situation makes it hard to name Hamilton as one of the top three drivers this season. He'll likely still end up taking the driver's title, though.

The rookie Kvyat impressed me in the earlier races, but hasn't done so very much in recent weeks. It'll be interesting to see how he continues later in the season.

Edited by Nonesuch, 28 July 2014 - 13:43.

Advertisement

#20 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:46

Alonso, Ricciardo and Bottas were chosen. HM to Merc drivers and Kvyat

#21 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,796 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:49

Alonso and Ricciardo are a given IMO.

Third was very hard to choose from Hülk, Bottas and Kvyat, went with Nico.

#22 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:51

Have to bare in mind the context for each driver

LewLew - 25% less laps in testing than Rosberg, 0 wet laps but takes 3 wet poles (natural talent if you ever saw it), 2 career best drives in Bahrain and Hungary. Been the undisputed king of fuel and tyre management intrateam. Had plethora of issues which have constantly put him on the back foot from day 1 (front wing failure in testing??) has a very able teammate but has a very real edge.

Ricciardo - brand new team, still young, but full of confidence and taking it to Vettel with his sheer speed. Yet to see him wind up in a situation where he may need to get his claws out, but done a mesmerising job.

Alonso - unrivalled consistency, but has the team fully behind him in terms of strategy, reliability etc. No pressure from external factors (NO WDC) and rarely from Kimi. Putting his all into everything and getting his rewards. A few small errors but nothing major.

Kvyat - brand new to F1 and is really looking like star quality. Was 19 when he started the year. 19! Great quali speed and doesn't fall away in the races. Can develop into future WC

Bottas - rough start to the year with his crash into the barriers but since then has been mostly consistent and blisteringly quick at times. Great race pace and is utilising his car v well.

:up:

#23 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:51

Ricciardo, Bottas and Kvyat are the revelations this year, all of whom I can envisage as future world champions. Only Bottas was really on my radar last year.

#24 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,219 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:52

Ricciardo, Bottas and Rosberg. I do not vote for Alonso or Hamilton as they deliver what we expect (another level to the first three I have named)

#25 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 13:56

Ricciardo, Kvyat and Bottas have impressed me.

As has been said - you kinda know that the likes of Fred and Lewis will rag the granny out of their cars/opportunities most of the time.

#26 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:15

Ricciardo

Bottas

Kvyat

#27 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:20

Ha! 3 votes for Vettel.

I would like to extend a friendly Autosport welcome to our newest members

DarthHelmut

F1ingerboy

and ChristianH ... i mean CHorner ... i mean ... ****

#28 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:21

Picked Bottas over Lewis due to Lewis' mistakes. Other two are obvious.

#29 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:22

Ricciardo has been well above expectations (or what I was expecting from him anyway).  He looks the complete package- fast in quali, good at implementing a strategy, relatively error free, good attacker, good defender, clean racer.  Bottas too seems to have got stronger and more consistent as the season has progressed.  Alonso as usual is maximizing the package he has whilst Kimi looks a little lost on setup (Kimi issue or Ferrari issue).   

#30 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:27

It's hard to pick only three because you always leave out another couple who have been notably good, so singling out the three I have does not in any way mean that I would not pick more if I could.

Bottas has shown impressive maturity and speed to rival Fernando Alonso.  It's amazing how much pressure he has soaked up, how well he has kept out of trouble, and how brilliantly he has held onto positions that many other drivers might easily have lost having fought too hard.  He thinks his way around the race and manages the resources he has wonderfully.  Definitely has the sort of attitude which will win him a WDC if he ever gets the car.

Ricciardo is here because I don't think anyone would have expected him to be beating Vettel quite so comprehensively.  He's clearly got a fast car, or at least one capable of getting him in contention, but like Bottas, he has been measured, brave, and spectacular this year.

Hamilton is in my three because although he is behind in points he has kept me entertained more than any of the other drivers.  His terrible bad luck in qualifying and mechanical reliability has been our good fortune for watching the races unfold.  So it leaves me at once both hoping we see more of that, but also hoping he has a clean run to the end of the season.  The latter would be good reward for what he's given us, but the former would be way more fund to watch.

It's not the name of the game so I won't name my also-rans.

#31 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:36

Impressed by Daniel and Kvyat.

And for me Lewis and Nico have been on the same high level.

#32 docronzo

docronzo

• 237 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:37

Rosberg
1. Is even with his teammate in terms of results.
2. Makes very few mistakes.
3. doesn't break under pressure
4. is 110% focused on the racing process in whole
5. Has good race speed and goes without aggressive moves (I like gentleman drivers)
6. Made an incredible developement from average driver to runaway championship favourite because of the points above
7. Is an incredibly nice and funny guy who isn't playing dumb or doing mind games that will evetually fall back on him.

#33 masa90

masa90

• 2,029 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:42

Rosberg, Alonso and Ricciardo. Bottas would been 4th, rest is bit mix and match.

#34 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:43

Who is the best driver. Pick 3 drivers??? Er...

Ricciardo. 

#35 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:52

Fairly surprised people aren't putting Alonso on a clear pole position, some even not mentioning him in top 3. Think he's done a sensational job in consistently extracting good finishing positions out of a poor car.

#36 Beamer

Beamer

• 3,357 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 14:56

3 votes for Mal? Wtf?

#37 Blanchimont2002

Blanchimont2002

• 199 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:00

Maldonado has got a vote...

I voted for Ricciardo. Think he has been very strong (and here's me having said that he'd never amount to much alongside Vettel...!).

Could easily have voted for Bottas or Alonso. Then there's Lewis, Jenson, the two Nico's, Kyvat...

#38 Blanchimont2002

Blanchimont2002

• 199 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:02

3 votes for Mal? Wtf?

I was thinking the same thing. 3 votes, the same amount as Jenson...

#39 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:05

Alonso and Ricciardo top 2 IMO.

Much harder below, perhaps Bottas, Mercedes duo to much errors so far.

Advertisement

#40 DavidHeath461

DavidHeath461

• 326 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:32

I have to say I am very impressed by Ricciardo, I think he is best driver of the year so far, easily. Bottas has surprised me also, after that it´s more difficult find any stand out drivers. Mercedes is too good car for ranking either NR or LH and Alonso is benefitting for Kimis extra poor performance - meaning, I don´t think FA has done anything special this year, just being better than Kimi who has been totally lost. Kvyat maybe third best, as he has been better as a rookie as I would have expected.

Alonso isn't "just being better than Kimi" he's obliterating him in every measurable way.

I don't see why Kimi underperforming means that you should rate Alonso lower. Why don't u apply the same standards to Ricciardo? After all Vettel has been underperforming.

I really do wonder what it would take for some people to give Alonso credit.

#41 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:37

Who voted for Vettel?

Bourbon  :p

My drivers, Alonso, Lewis and Dan

#42 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:50

Forget the people who have voted for Seb

2 people have voted for Kimi

QPKPR0e.png

Bottas is a interesting vote. He has impressed me lately, and has shown clear top driver potential. But lets not forget. at Silverstone and Germany where Bottas netted 2 second places, Massa teammate was punted off in the first lap. So, unlike Alonso who has Kimi as a yardstick, it is hard to determine whether it was Bottas or the car. Bottas has established an edge over Massa in qualifying, it is now 7-4 and the gap was pretty big in Hungary. So, there are favorable comparisons to be made between him and Massa that are reflective. 

Bottas has gone up in my estimation recently, and I get why he has been voted in. But, people forget that earlier in the year Massa stole a pole off him in Austria, and that he made a mistake in OZ early in the race. I expect the likes of AntR and Masa90 to demonize Lewis/Nico for their mistakes but ignore Bottas's, but for the more credible and balanced posters there are events worth remembering that have seemingly been forgotten.

Bottas is a reasonable vote, do not get me wrong, but I think it is unfair to mark the Mercedes boys down in comparison.

Edited by sennafan24, 28 July 2014 - 15:53.

#43 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:51

Alonso, Ricciardo and Rosberg.

#44 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:53

Ricciardo - The revelation of the season. He has been fast, consistent, and makes very few errors. I expected him to be pushing Vettel in qualifying and then pushing him in races by mid-season. So to see how he has been dominating Vettel from the get go is just outstanding.

Alonso - He is Ferrari's best asset. The level of dominance over Kimi is much more than anyone expected. The way he is driving I would expect him to have the upper hand over the entire field given a comparable car.

Kvyat - It was a tough choice between Daniil and Bottas. Both have been impressive, but I see the young Russian as a future superstar. He is fast and doing quite well considering his lack of experience at this level. He is one to watch.

#45 MLC

MLC

• 537 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:55

Forget the people who have voted for Seb

2 people have voted for Kimi

Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but I would love to hear the explanation from one of them. I get that Kimi is the favorite driver for many, but does anyone really believe he has been the best driver so far this season?

#46 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,563 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:56

I went with Ricciardo - who is taking the fight to Seb in a most impressive way - Alonso, just cos he's consistenly awesome and so far ahead of Kimi I actually feel sorry for the guy, and Bottas, who I'm very impressed by.

+1

#47 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:59

Another "My fav driver is not getting the recognition I give him" thread.

FA fanboys: Alonso has been the best, he keeps over-driving that POS Ferrari.

LH fanboys: Lewis is the best, he's had bad luck and has come from behind many times in a car that is not as dominant as some people think.

NR fanboys: He's not been that lucky and has been cerebral and consistent.

DR fanboys: He's beaten SV and he hasn't been that lucky....

#48 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 16:02

FA fanboys: Alonso has been the best, he keeps over-driving that POS Ferrari.

LH fanboys: Lewis is the best, he's had bad luck and has come from behind many times in a car that is not as dominant as some people think.

NR fanboys: He's not been that lucky and has been cerebral and consistent.

DR fanboys: He's beaten SV and he hasn't been that lucky....

I must be the ultimate fanboy then

As I agree with all 4 of those descriptions.

Edited by sennafan24, 28 July 2014 - 16:02.

#49 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 16:03

Fred.

Nico.

Daniel.

#50 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 16:08

For me Ricciardo, Alonso and Bottas, for different reasons, but all were very impressive.

I voted like this also^^