Photo
- - - - -

F1 Summer Break: YAY or NAY?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 Summer Break: YAY or NAY? (202 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think about the F1 Summer Break?

1. Good idea: they really need a break, and so do I. (63 votes [31.19%])

Percentage of vote: 31.19%

2. I can agree with them needing a break, but it's really annoying for the fans (89 votes [44.06%])

Percentage of vote: 44.06%

3. They should not go on break in the middle of the season. I hate the interruption. (43 votes [21.29%])

Percentage of vote: 21.29%

4. Other (please elaborate in the comments) (7 votes [3.47%])

Percentage of vote: 3.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 00:04

What do you think about it?

Advertisement

#2 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 00:16

Although I personally love F1 and would love to see a race as often as possible, the drivers and crews definitely need some rest time 

#3 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 00:19

The crews definitely deserve a break, god knows the only other chance they'll get is late December.

#4 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,529 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 00:25

The crews and people working year round need this break.

#5 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:18

They aren't robots! They have family and kids. The mechanics aren't multimillionaire , they can't flight theirs families every race to come see them.
It's a well needed break.

#6 taz

taz

• 554 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:31

Every year i have a 2week break between 15-30 july + 5-day break between christmas & new year's eve. That's it basically, and i'm still fine :)

+ i don't think every crew member works every day in the off-season?

so, i think 3 weeks should be more than enough nowadays :)

#7 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:49

Don't mind the break, just wish it was shorter.

#8 DoctorHouse

DoctorHouse

• 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:25

One month is too much in the middle of the season!

#9 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:34

Every year i have a 2week break between 15-30 july + 5-day break between christmas & new year's eve. That's it basically, and i'm still fine :)

+ i don't think every crew member works every day in the off-season?

so, i think 3 weeks should be more than enough nowadays :)

So you only have 3 weeks off during the year?

Here in Finland we get 4 weeks paid vacation durin the summer months and 1 week winter vacation with salary.

On top of that we get about 20-22 days a year that we can take out when ever we want to, like if someone wants a long weekend they can take Friday and monday off and still get paid.

The drivers in F1 doesn't need vacations.

They dont even know what real work is.

The crews how ever need vacation.

#10 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:37

The break is perfect IMO. A good month where fans can enjoy other things (like the football season starting, summer holidays etc.), drivers get some time off, and crucially the teams get some downtime. Both at the factory and the travelling staff long hours are worked all year round, and to have a set time off where people can see their families and just enjoy some free time is needed.

We're all human, and we all need our free time... 

#11 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:41

So you only have 3 weeks off during the year?

Here in Finland we get 4 weeks paid vacation durin the summer months and 1 week winter vacation with salary.

On top of that we get about 20-22 days a year that we can take out when ever we want to, like if someone wants a long weekend they can take Friday and monday off and still get paid.

The drivers in F1 doesn't need vacations.

They dont even know what real work is.

The crews how ever need vacation.

In the UK it's 28 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (if you work a 5 day week). 

And I'd say that the drivers, whilst well compensated for their jobs, do deserve some time completely to themselves. The rest of the year the top drivers cannot escape the media and have to combine their PR work with the professional driver work. 10 weeks of that intensity must take it out of you.

#12 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,726 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:43

In think the shut down should be in December these guys are flat out in the off season to!

#13 Wes350

Wes350

• 407 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:48

Growing up exposed to American racing series, I think a month off in the middle of a season is ridiculous, I don't know how F1 gets away with it, and are able to retain their viewers.

In fact it took me a bit to adjust to having to wait every two weeks for a race. 

#14 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 7,360 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:02

The summer is a busy time for most people, especially those of us with young families. I love F1, but can't dedicate as much time as I used to to it so a summer break is very welcome to me. Lately I've been watching the races recorded on a Tuesday or Wednesday so it's no big deal. Weekends are too precious especially if the weather is nice and sunny!

#15 RacingMonk

RacingMonk

• 180 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:56

If they dropped it back to about 16 races a year they wouldn't need a break.

#16 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:23

The break is necessary IMO and comes at the right time. Everybody needs downtime at some point and those involved get to spend a few weeks away from it all, spending time at home with their families or doing the things they don't get to do during the season. They work long hours during the season as it is. It's only a four week break, really you are only missing one race in that period, it is a good chance for the fans to look forward to the second half of the season and do some things they may be avoiding doing during the season.

On a personal note, I used to get annoyed in my early days of watching F1 of not being able to watch a race for four weeks, but in the summer of 2009 I suddenly found myself having to move home in a short space of time. It gave me something to focus on. I vowed from that point I would make the most of the opportunity of the summer break, whether that's going on holiday, spending extra time with my friends, looking forward to the start of the footie season or even mundane jobs like a spring-clean at home. I actually find that I do look forward to a race more if the break has been longer than the standard two weeks between races.

#17 Lotus53B

Lotus53B

• 4,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:25

It's a bit of a bugger, but it gives me 3 consecutive weekends I can do things in the sun, so I appreciate it as much as the teams.

This weekend - head north for cycling!

#18 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:33

Other

I really don't care.there are 19 - 20 races, can watch until November, and the winter break between seasons became considerably shorter. If people are pissed off because the summer break, that can only mean the sport is still quite popular no? On the other hand, while I really don't care, it is not a 10-12 race season anymore. When do you think they should relax?

#19 Kraken

Kraken

• 980 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:55

They need a break, I don't and I don't see it as annoying so I voted Other.

The mechanics, lorry drivers etc etc work long hours all through the year so having a gap to be able to spend time with family etc is fair enough. Too many races IMO anyway. One a month from March to October is enough. I can never understand why NASCAR fans like having so many races. Don't they have anything better to do with their time? I wonder what  the divorce rate is like?   ;)

Advertisement

#20 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,712 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:07

The more race weekends the better as far as I'm concerned, BUT at the same time, people do need to have a proper break, not just a day or 2 here and there, but a full shutdown so they can come in for the last part of the season in some sort of half refreshed way, so in that sense although I hate any breaks at all, I do understand the need for the break, especially with so many races now compared to 20 years ago (plus far more travelling I'd imagine than back then, without going back and checking the number of flyaway races).

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 29 July 2014 - 09:38.

#21 blackmme

blackmme

• 984 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:18

Since we went to 19 / 20 race seasons it makes absolute sense.  

Some of those guys must be absolutely burnt out.  I travel a lot internationally for work and I know just how tiring it can be, and I don't have to set-up and take down a world class engineering / marketing operation every other weekend often in very hot conditions.

Yep, I would love to watch a Grand Prix every darn weekend spring, summer, autumn and winter for the rest of my life but I don't think the Mrs would quite agree and I'm sure the wives, husbands and partners of those who put the show wouldn't either.

There is a plus point as well, by the time Spa comes around I am absolutely manic for the race and thoroughly enjoy it. 

Regards Mike

#22 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:33

100% support it.

#23 tomjol

tomjol

• 883 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:43

They need a break, and potential viewers are probably down at this time of year anyway.

However, as there's no "yes" option which doesn't include some other non-neutral position, I voted "other".

#24 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 4,807 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:25

i went for the 1st option as i have got other motorsport to watch to tie me over while i wait for the F1 to come back

#25 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,703 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:27

The teams deserve the break. It's intense travelling so much.

There's other forms of motorsport to keep us entertained too. August is Indycar month!

#26 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:28

Everyone involved in F1 deserves/needs a summer break. You have to keep in mind the fact that these guys lead insanely hectic schedules even when they're not racing. I do miss F1 during the break each year and my weekends feel a little emptier, but it's necessary for the members of the sport. 

#27 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:29

They deserve a break, it's not just the workload but the travel it must be so draining. 

However I would love to have a race every weekend for all 52 weeks of the year! 

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:00

As a fan, a month without races - particularly at the exact same time football is dead with all the dreadful pre-season friendlies - is annoying.

However, they're people, and they already travel a barely bearable amount during the year. Some people would possibly collapse from mental and physical exhaustion without this break. The winter break has already been cut ridiculously short, and it's at the time F1 teams are working at their hardest anyway to get the new cars out. This break is absolutely necessary.

#29 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:40

My understanding is that it's popular with the staff that have kids (because it guarantees time off when they need it) but it's less popular with the kid-less staff (end up with holidays when it's expensive peak-season).

#30 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:56

I need it (before I didn't but with a demanding stuff to do I need a break from taking a break for F1 :-).

I bet the travel crews need it as well.

I just think that the pilots should not get it but be stressed even further for our entertainment!

#31 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:56

I can live with it. They deserve a break and there's plenty of other racing to watch.

#32 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 13:12

I think team personnel should not be allowed to marry and have children if it means my TV viewing is interrupted especially if it means I might end up going out in the sunshine for a while.

#33 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 13:42

I have no problem with a month long break. The staff have earnt a rest, and there is plenty else to occupy you time with.

#34 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 13:46

Bad idea.

Because it tends to send nearly everyone here (myself included at various points) in to extra-special knobhead mode.

If you're reading this Tango and Cash......... stop it. Now.

#35 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 15:04

I always wonder how much work STILL goes on behind the scenes.  Is it really enforceable to demand that absolutely no work be done?  Just because the offices are closed doesn't really mean a thing, and I can well imagine that some or even all teams would try to get an extra jump on the second half of the season by clandestinely doing stuff elsewhere.  As such, I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of this rule.

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 15:55

I always wonder how much work STILL goes on behind the scenes.  Is it really enforceable to demand that absolutely no work be done?  Just because the offices are closed doesn't really mean a thing, and I can well imagine that some or even all teams would try to get an extra jump on the second half of the season by clandestinely doing stuff elsewhere.  As such, I have serious doubts about the effectiveness of this rule.

You might have a few engineers discussing things over the break, but there's not much work you can do with the factory shut down, and the engineers have to take a holiday at some point during the year. The teams probably like the break as it stops the staff taking too many days off during the rest of the season.

#37 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:33

Mrs Dolphin insists that we go away each year, so I have to try to get her to agree to go away during the F1 break - either that or Ihave to avoid all news for 2 weeks until we get back. This year I screwed up - I miss the Italian GP, I'll have to record it and avoid the net til we get back

#38 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 19:17

I agree with option 2 and the sentiments of many other posters here. As a fan it is annoying, but these guys fly around the world working their nuts off so I absolutely understand and support them having a a month off.

#39 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 19:21

I hate it, it kills me every year. The teams need a break though. And if we didn't have summer break, the season would end a month earlier!

Besides, now that I can watch Indycar, I can give in to my craving for racing.

Advertisement

#40 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,929 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:06

I'm in favour of the August break since it allows me to go on vacation without missing races or without having to find a place during vacation where I can see it. + the emplyees need a break too

#41 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:59

The break is much welcomed and it is one of the things in F1 that must not be altered in any way.

Sometimes you start to appreciate something when it's missing :) Drivers do welcome the break as well, as some of them are literally under heavy regime through the rest of the year. I have had a real doctor explaining about the psychological and physiological demands of F1 here - http://f1framework.b...al-demands.html

Bottom line - leave it as it is. 

#42 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:27

Last year was worse because there was a 3 week break then a month break (by memory) meaning 1 race in 7 weeks.  It's not so bad this year, with only a months gap, but with more races on either side of the break.

#43 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 13:50

So would it make more sense to abolish the summer break while the season is raging on, and instead "shorten" the season (time-wise, not the number of races) to mandate an absolute shutdown during the off-season, instead? 

#44 engineblock1

engineblock1

• 1,060 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 14:30

They do need a break. But there should be just one long break in the middle of season. Also the gap between races should not exceed 2 weeks at maximum. F1 talks about cost saving, perhaps in Europe they can at least have races every weekend if they go by order. Traveling to Canada after Monaco is a real bad idea.

Also loyal fans always want action round the clock. As a F1 fanatic, I want every weekend to have F1 race, it just makes my time pass better and smooth.

It should all start like this Asian rounds (Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi), next Europe (starting from east to west) and finally Canada, North America & Latin America. A big one month break during summers would save cost of transportation of machinery and personnel as I believe majority of F1 personnel are Europe based.

#45 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 14:32

The summer break should be a few weeks longer and start a bit earlier. The summer is here and vacation activities beat watching F1 every time. That means I hardly ever see summer races live.

#46 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 23:18

I actually like the summer break. Even as a fan, I need a break sometimes, and there are still other motorsports this month. And team staff need a break.

If anything, I'd make the offseason shorter and have another "holiday" month during the season.

#47 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 23:49

nay.

#48 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:03

I'm all for it...though, I wonder how carbon fiber companies make payroll in the month that Massa and Maldonado aren't crashing into everything.

#49 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:19

Yes and No.

Everyone needs time off, but at what expense? The teams and therefore their employees are paid from going racing. I'm sure someone has done the math to rationalize why they have the schedule a certain way and which breaks are where, but it might be doing the Sport more harm than good. Everyone knows the business side of the sport is very broken, and the schedule is a part of the reason. There is little to no consistency for race weekends, and with the summer closure its that much harder for a casual fan to "jump" into F1. All of my friends know I follow F1 religiously, but it just seems random at best to them. Some times there are back to back races, sometimes they happen once every two weeks, sometimes once every three weeks, and then you have the summer break on top of that as well. 

I'm not saying that people should work themselves into the ground, but there should be room to fit in the break without breaking up the season. If they can bring more consistent races hopefully the sport can not only retain casual fans, but also gain more. Sustainability is on everyone's mind to preserve the sport, but changes need to be made.  

#50 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 00:23

I dislike it but they deserve it.