- - - - -

First Massa, now Smedley

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:30

Maybe that's why they get along, they support each other when denying the obvious:

"I don't think we dropped any [strategic] ball to be honest," Smedley said.
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115190

Advertisement

#2 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:36

Seems like Smedley was a bad acquisition. They gotta admit their mistakes so they can learn not to do them again.

#3 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:43

Seems like Smedley was a bad acquisition. They gotta admit their mistakes so they can learn not to do them again.

Williams has improved massively since Smedley joined .... coincidence, possibly ... but maybe not.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:49

Smedley is never going to badmouth his driver or team in public.  Whatever goes on behind the scenes is going to be kept behind the curtain.

And as jjcale says Williams have looked stronger than they have since the walrus nose.

#5 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:57

Smedley is never going to badmouth his driver or team in public.  Whatever goes on behind the scenes is going to be kept behind the curtain.

And as jjcale says Williams have looked stronger than they have since the walrus nose.

Still, putting both cars on a strange strategy was not the right call.

#6 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:18

I can understand that they don't want to badmouth the team in public, but no one in the Williams team, except the drivers, have admitted the strategy mistake.

#7 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:33

Not sure how you work that one out.

#8 Mart280

Mart280

• 400 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:37

Lol, bit of a troll post IMO, Smedley has done and is doing a great job for Williams.

#9 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:07

Lol, bit of a troll post IMO, Smedley has done and is doing a great job for Williams.

It is just my opinion, not trolling. How can you know he has done and is doing great job? What is exactly his job? I don't see any significant improvement after he arrived at Williams.

Edited by darkkis, 29 July 2014 - 16:08.

#10 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:10

5th place IMO would have been the maximum for Wiliams anyway and it would have been 6th had Vettel not spun, Valtteri also lost out big time due to the SC so it wasn't like they could have improved much. Perhaps Bottas gaining 1 or 2 positions more

#11 Massa

Massa

• 9,971 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:13

It is just my opinion, not trolling. How can you know he has done and is doing great job? What is exactly his job? I don't see any significant improvement after he arrived at Williams.

Lol, you were saying he is a bad acquisition and now you wonder what is his job. :rotfl:

How do you know he is a bad acquisition if you don't know what is his job ? You don't see any improvement ? The fact that at each races they have updates at each races, they keep these updates unlike a big team like Ferrari, their pitstop is not bad, they have the second or at worst the third best car, and you don't see any improvement ?

Edited by Massa, 29 July 2014 - 16:27.

#12 darkkis

darkkis

• 898 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:19

Lol, you were saying he is a bad acquisition and then you wonder what is his job. :rotfl:

Stop trolling please.

Trolls don't deny they're trolling. I don't see any contradiction in what I have said. Then you just tell me what has he done as "head of vehicle performance" to make him worthwhile and I'll take my word back. If he's the one responsible for strategies, then he has done very bad job in my view.

Stop fingerpointing and enlighten me then, please.

Edited by darkkis, 29 July 2014 - 16:19.

#13 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 16:21

Williams were also pretty bad at Monaco, so they will be back on form come Spa. 

#14 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 776 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:41

I do...

I'm not saying it's down to him but what you've said isn't true.

Edited by MightyMoose, 30 July 2014 - 02:43.
Removed unnecessary crass comment

#15 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:43

Rob Smedley is one of the most highly-regarded engineers in the paddock. 

#16 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:41

I do...

I'm not saying it's down to him but what you've said isn't true.

You're forgetting Massa... and while you're at it, let us ask OP too.

@ardberg

This is what a good team rep should do. Not criticise anything in public, but take apart everything and build it again inside the team... You know, kicking each other in the nuts in public, will only feed the trolls.

#17 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,440 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:52

Look where they were last year compared to this year. Now one so called bad call and it's a big issue, considering all things?

#18 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:31

I don't know how people are judging Smedley's contributions.

#19 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:42

No one has mentioned that he could be right and that they would have had a harder race despite any strategy they chose?  And that even on the softer tyre, Massa wouldn't have had much more pace?  Maybe Bottas would have but even Bottas on the softer tyre had less pace relative to Hockenheim.  The problem is, when you are already on one of your weaker tracks, and you are already worried about making the tyres last or tyre wear, that's when you need an even better strategy.  Strategy wasn't their only problem last Sunday though.  Massa was the lead car (one problem) and the car in general was less suited to that track.  If Bottas had the luck of the SC, he might have been able to mix it with the front guys but probably would have finished in the same position as Massa behind Nico, just more seconds up the road.

Advertisement

#20 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,703 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:04

Trolls don't deny they're trolling. I don't see any contradiction in what I have said. Then you just tell me what has he done as "head of vehicle performance" to make him worthwhile and I'll take my word back. If he's the one responsible for strategies, then he has done very bad job in my view.

Stop fingerpointing and enlighten me then, please.

If he's head of vehicle performance I guess we can judge how well he's doing his job by how the vehicles are performing.

They're performing a lot better than last year. He must be doing something right.

#21 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:21

Is admitting that your car wasn't good enough really a cop-out? Surely blaming it on the strategy was the easy way out, not what Smedley said!

It was clear even before the weekend that the conditions and layout in Hungary weren't conducive to Williams continuing their podium run, so I don't think there was too much of a surprise that their pace wasn't as good as in Germany.