Photo
- - - - -

Half way through the season... so where are we at?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 20:55

Since the summer break give us a natural stay in the season, I will call now the middle of the season, since the quarter thread we have gained more knowledge, opinion, firm views and disagreements between all of us in most matters being discussed.

So for me:

Surprise of the season – The domination by Ricciardo over Vettel, so clear and obvious I am reevaluating how good Vettel really is. Naturally I can and will not disregard a driver who have taken the WDC 4 years on the trot, neither can I react as if he is not being out-qualified, outraced and outperformed by Ricciardo.

Driver of the season – Fernando Alonso in my view once again driving, racing and forcing the car on to finishes where no other driver could get the same car. The Ferrari is not good enough to win, it is at best right now the 4th best car, yet he is batting way above that currently placed 4th in the WDC standings having grabbed two podiums so far. The fact that he is completely dominating Kimi Raikkonen is not a surprise to me.

WDC battle – A very very tight one, I no longer see Hamilton as the one who will take it as a guarantee, Rosberg have taken the fight to Hamilton more than I thought him capable of, which needs to be seen in the context of Rosberg being my favorite driver. With the absolute inane double points finish to the season, all teams unanimously decided to do what they could to muck and mess up the season-long championship battle. One of the Mercedes drivers will be left standing feeling very very dejected with a season where he finished 2nd in the WDC with multiple wins on his account.

Team disunity – The battle and disagreement between the big and small teams are expanding, the big teams are behaving in a selfish manner which will likely cost at least 1, and possibly 2 teams their life. They are eating away at the sport, where at least two of the teams will not remain as active teams 'for ever', Mercedes and Red Bull will be gone from the series latest 2024 would be my guess.

FOM and leeching of the sport – No change in my views on how poorly the commercial rights holder is serving the sport they are supposed to promote for commercial gains, the golden goose is getting older and are not being fed savory sustenance to exist in good health moving forward.

Knee-jerk reaction to non-issue: The noise or lack of noise discussion have abated, I never saw it as a genuine issue, the fact that senior F1 figures were vocally complaining were pathetic and as far as I see it one of the many many many little things making the sport less interesting to the public.

Viewers and spectators in free-fall[long rant] The powers in charge are dumbfounded over the declining numbers, despite migrating to pay-channels, migrating to countries with not F1 history, migrating to tracks with zero atmosphere zero excitement and to top it of little chance of real overtaking. The powers in charges are dumbfounded that a sport they have spend 10 years dumbing down, while building a fiscal cliff they can throw small teams over are taking a toll on viewers, the powers in charge are dumbfounded that spec racing, locked in to inflexible rules and regulations takes away from the inner core of what F1 racing is all about, and that is taking a toll on viewers, the powers in charge have taken no active action to include any of the new technologies available to spread the word, costing viewers and spectators, the powers in charge are dumbfounded that pricing F1 tickets at a level where a father and two kids will have to pay same as going on a 1 week vacation and bringing mom along.

Basically F1 is doing an extraordinary poor job at running the series, blame is everywhere.[/long rant]

Enjoyment: I do take enjoyment from all the races, the rules and regulations are what they are, I can do nothing about them and despite me having many good ideas for how to conduct the Formula One championships I have no say in it, the teams the federation and the commercial rights holder do all they can to marginalize the sport (and do a good job at it), but I am hardcore so the least of their worries, this is the 42end season I follow F1, I have no plans of leaving.

Forza Ferrari, Go Nico GO!

:cool:

Advertisement

#2 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,845 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:06

I agree to the above. And would add:

Negative surprise of the season: Kimi Räikkönen. Before the fans attack me for this, I will say it is because I have great respect for his talent and I am disappointed he hasn't shown better against Alonso.

Driver of the season/WDC battle: I have Rosberg in my office pool, even if I am a Hamilton fan. I stand to win a shitload of money (100 GBP or so) if Rosberg hangs on.

Most annoying: Massa by far.

#3 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:27

One of the Mercedes drivers will be left standing feeling very very dejected with a season where he finished 2nd in the WDC with multiple wins on his account.

If Nico finishes 2nd with multiple wins, he'll be wondering what he has to do as dad Keke won the 82 title with just 1 win....

I read somewhere that Mercedes are expecting that whoever loses the WDC will probably have to have counselling...

Mercedes and Red Bull will be gone from the series latest 2024 would be my guess.

If Red Bull leave, will Torro Rosso go as well? The 2 teams are linked...

#4 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 13:23

Driver of the Season: Alonso by a small margin over Bottas. Although I expect as much from Fernando, Bottas is a mild surprise. I expected to see an improvement in results given the Williams' resurgence, just not so much, so quickly. His pace and mature driving makes him one to watch.

WDC/WCC Battle: The WDC is interesting due to the ongoing Hamilton/Rosberg drama, beyond that notsomuch. It would be nice to have at least another marque represented in the WCC and other drivers challenging the Mercedes duo. Having said that, the championship fight on the track is dramatic enough to ignore the conspiratorial fantasies of the rabble.

Surprises (mild): Ricciardo. I think he showed enough in the TR to expect he would shine in a better car, the two wins against the Mercedes teams I did not see coming.

Surprises (major): Vettel and Raikkonen. Neither has adapted well to the new formula, I am both surprised and disappointed.

Non-Event of the Season: Felipe Massa. Disregarding team orders, putting himself in vulnerable positions (hoping the other guy would get out of his way), and generally whining and blaming everyone in sight ... seen it all before.

The Crashes: Too many that could be avoided by mature driving (just my opinion), but I am constantly reminded about how safe F1 is these days. Recently viewed a program that credits this movement towards a safer sport to Mosley and Bernie .... if true, congrats to them.

The Crashers: Perez, Maldonado .... seemed to have calmed down somewhat, but still are overly optimistic at times. Yes, I am trying to be nice.

Disappointments (teams): McLaren and Force India ... thought they would be more competitive with the advantage of Mercedes power, Ferrari ... what can I say that hasn't already been said. 

The Season: Lots to like. Sure it could be better, but every race has given us reason to tune in to the next. Good battles throughout the field, some epic fights for the lead, strategy induced drama, weather induced drama, rules interpretations/violations, and no the sound doesn't bother me.

#5 schubacca

schubacca

• 837 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 13:28

Ricciardo's measure of Vettel is simply astounding to me.  Vettel's stock has taken a huge nose drive this year because of this. 

#6 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 14:39

Drive of the season is Hamilton in Bahrain. Look how easily drivers have been steaming pass others recently, all down to tyres. Puts every single move he made in that race into perspective.

Maybe we should have a thread akin to "Rate the [Grand Prix]!" But for the season so far.

#7 GoGro

GoGro

• 136 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 14:51

Disappointments (teams): McLaren and Force India ... thought they would be more competitive with the advantage of Mercedes power, Ferrari ... what can I say that hasn't already been said. 

In the disappointments I would add Lotus, such a poor season compared to the previous two years.

#8 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 15:48

OMG !!!!!! How could I have forgotten them? Although the loss of Kimi and the ongoing $$$$ issues have had a significant impact on their ability to compete, I did not see them falling off so dramatically. Thanks for the reminder. :wave: