Photo
- - - - -

Who will win the Indycar 2014 title

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win the Indycar 2014 title (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the Indycar 2014 title

1. Hélio Castro Neves (Bra) 533 pts (25 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Will Power (Aus) 520 pts (28 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Ryan Hunter-reay (US) 464 (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Simon Pagenaud (Fra) 462 (4 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

5. Juan-Pablo Montoya (Col) 428 (6 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

6. Scott Dixon (N-Zl) 387 (1 votes [1.43%])

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

7. Carlos Munoz (Col) 384 (1 votes [1.43%])

Percentage of vote: 1.43%

8. Tony Kanaan (Bra) 380 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Marco Andretti (US) 375 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,929 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:02

Four races to go with double points in the final race.

It's showdown in August for the IndyCar title.

But who will win it?

It looks like it will end in a duel between Hélio Castro-Neves and Will Power, both have been close to the title before but never won it.
But Hunter-Reay and Pagenaud are also still very much in the hunt.

Who will win it?

Advertisement

#2 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:15

Just see Castroneves and Power doing something to hand RHR or Pagenaud the title. If the Penske cars run as they have this year, Pagenaud has no shot.

#3 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,364 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:22

RHR seems the best bet at the moment, given the history of Will and Helio choking at the last moment. I'd like to see Pagenaud win it but he's crap on ovals which puts him at a disadvantage given there's practically 3 ovals (2, but one pays double) and 2 non-ovals left. Montoya could do it if he has 4 perfect weekends with everyone else messing up (which will never happen). Everyone else is too far behind to have a realistic shot.

#4 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:11

Why not Sa... oh

Wish it was monty, wont be though.

#5 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:42

I hope Power can win it finally.... (haven't been following too closely, Indycar is not on free television in Australia  :well:  )

What if Power loses in the final round, again :eek:  :eek:  :eek: //// Oh dear. 

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,703 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:49

I think it will finally be Helio's year.

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:08

I voted for Helio.  He has a cool name and the bit I watched a couple races ago he was speaking highly of his competitors - seemed to be a stand up guy.

#8 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 11,985 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 13:45

As much as I would love Pagenaud to steal it, I don't quite see it happening. I think Helio has a good shot, so I gave him my vote. Should be good these next races, I can't wait! 

#9 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 13:46

Will power.

#10 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 15:29

It'll be Helio. Power for next season.

#11 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 15:35

Did you Castro Neves on purpose or by acci dent? He's got my vote. Only a fool would place a dime on Will Power to win anything.

#12 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 15:59

Will Power, but only if he can overcome himself.

#13 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:24

Aj Foyt?

#14 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:50

I voted for Helio.  He has a cool name and the bit I watched a couple races ago he was speaking highly of his competitors - seemed to be a stand up guy.

Its not a popularity contest. The question was who was going to win it, not who you would want to win it.

#15 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 20:51

Yes, this is the internet, serious answers only please

#16 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 20:55

Hopefully Power, he is the best driver in my opinion but can't seem to get it done so I hope he does this year.  He has got to stop making stupid mistakes and cope with the pressure better and I think he will do it this year finally.

#17 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,112 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:06

It's hard to believe that Helio has never won the title, and as such, he would definitely be a deserving champion "sooner or later".   Given that he has found legendary glory already at the Indy 500, I wouldn't feel too bad if he never accomplishes the title feat, however.  ;)

Likewise, Will "should" have been champion a couple times already, and is arguably the best driver in the series... with the tendency to occasionally have a major brainfart, that usually costs him dearly.  I'm never really very happy when he wins, but I feel terribly sorry for him when he loses.  Weird.  For that reason, it would be great to see him finally win what was so narrowly denied before. :cry:

RHR is a very accomplished all-rounder that would also be very deserving to win the title yet again, but given that he already did win it, as well as the 500, I'd prefer someone else to take it - someone who hasn't yet. :p

I'm really pulling for Simon Pagenaud - I consider him up there with Will Power, and if he was driving a real top car, he could well be the best of them all.  I hope he pulls off the underdog title win against the big Penske, Andretti and Ganassi guys. :up:

If not him, a comeback title for JPM would be awesome, too.  Would make for a great story, and additional publicity for IndyCar with the NASCAR connection there. :cool:

Dixon was awesome last year and really deserved it, but this year hasn't been quite that sharp.  Maybe another season.  And he's had plenty, too. ):

Whatever happens, it promises to be an interesting conclusion!! :clap:

PS: why not Sato? :lol:

Edited by maximilian, 30 July 2014 - 21:07.

#18 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:27

Weirdly I find myself pulling for all of the top five drivers. They're all really likeable in their own ways and it would be a great story if they won.

Equally, I'll find it hard to watch Power or Castroneves lose it at the last gasp again.

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:30

Did you Castro Neves on purpose or by acci dent? He's got my vote. Only a fool would place a dime on Will Power to win anything.

I have a race programme from Silverstone in 1995 where he's called Castro Neves. I was 6 and the F3 cars were so loud I hid indoors.

Advertisement

#20 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:37

I believe he joined his name up once he was racing Indycars, as he was sick of people getting it mixed up

#21 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:56

Well I'm the fool then. :p Penske have to win it this year! If they throw this championship away I will be amazed and I will let the forum choose my next profile pic.

#22 prommer

prommer

• 4,950 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 22:35

If Dixon pulls this one out (again), then that choice of pic would be a no brainer...

07-12-Dixon-Tagliani-Costume-Bet-Std.jpg

#23 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:41

I think the Powerman will do it.

#24 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:14

I believe he joined his name up once he was racing Indycars, as he was sick of people getting it mixed up

I guess some of the media would drop the first or last bit and he'd be called Helio Casto (at a time where that name was still linked with Cuban Dictator Fidel Castro in the states). Drop the hyphen (which wasn't used IIRC in the Portuguese spelling of the name) and boom! Americanized name like the rest of us with foreign sounding surnames. 

#25 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:44

Interesting that two "perennial runner-ups" are indeed leading the championship. Perhaps one of them will finally do it? But 2 ovals out of 3 remaining races left, which is not a strong point for Power. Hunter-Reay and especially Dixon are a long way behind in points though and need an absolute perfect end to their season, including winning the double points finale. Seems like a long shot though. So whoever out of Power/Castroneves avoids stumbling/crashing out in the season finale, is likely to win?

#26 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:48

Normally I'd say that the only person who can beat Will Power is Will Power. But given that Will Power has won that battle the last four years straight, I really don't know...

#27 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 7,073 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:43

Considering that the Penske duo at the front seems snakebit, and if Will Power doesn't throw it away, RHR will, I'm voting Pagenaud.

Until Power, Helio and Hunter Reay can prove to me they are not chokers, I can vote no other way. I think JPM is just a bit too far behind to pull it off, but then he's an oval ace and there are double points for the last race so he has a very remote chance.

#28 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 16:12

If Pagenaud was just a touch closer - he would have been if it weren't for Power taking him out at both Long Beach and Belle Isle - then I'd tip him for the title hands down. As it stands, sadly I think he's been put a bit too far back due to Power's dirty moves (and I'm still shocked he was penalised for neither), and the ovals haven't been as strong for him as the road/street courses, which with double points at Fontana will probably do him in.

(I should add I voted for Castroneves; he has the ability and the stomach to do it as long as his woeful luck doesn't continue. Power has proven he just can't hack the pressure.)

Edited by Muppetmad, 09 August 2014 - 16:14.

#29 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:39

Hopefully Power, he is the best driver in my opinion but can't seem to get it done so I hope he does this year.  He has got to stop making stupid mistakes and cope with the pressure better and I think he will do it this year finally.

Well you managed to convince me he is NOT the best driver, because of the stupid mistakes and not coping with pressure better. Maybe he will get lucky and win this year ...... maybe not. He must be running out of creative ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by now. :clap:

#30 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:00

Its not a popularity contest. The question was who was going to win it, not who you would want to win it.

I know.  But I don't know enough about it to make an informed vote.  I just like pressing the radio buttons.  Was just a note that you can discount 1 vote.  :p

Edited by bourbon, 10 August 2014 - 05:01.

#31 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,929 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:31

looking very much forward to Milwaukee and how the title fight will unfold

#32 evo

evo

• 431 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:49

obviously needs more than just will power for Will Power to beat Will Power. Is there ever such a guy who is a multiple race winner but can't string together a championship?

seriously this stuff just writes itself. Must've been done to death eons ago as I haven't seen any since, ever!

#33 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,907 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:33

It's hard to believe that Helio has never won the title, and as such, he would definitely be a deserving champion "sooner or later".   Given that he has found legendary glory already at the Indy 500, I wouldn't feel too bad if he never accomplishes the title feat, however.  ;)

My thoughts, exactly. Although I would have no problem whatsoever with any of the names on the list.

My vote goes to Power, though. Finally. 

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:51

obviously needs more than just will power for Will Power to beat Will Power. Is there ever such a guy who is a multiple race winner but can't string together a championship?

seriously this stuff just writes itself. Must've been done to death eons ago as I haven't seen any since, ever!

I think Dolph has a monopoly on them in the Indycar threads.

There are so many good things about Will Power it almost seems reductive just to concentrate on his name.

#35 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:35

But there is so many red marks on Will Power's career and driving abilities, that it might take something extra (some "will power"), in the final races to take his first title. 

Power will take a title. Heck, Paul Tracy eventually won a title. Both like to run into people as much as take a checkered flag. But sooner or later they will somehow to manage to string the results together. This year nobody really has. They either are taking a podium, or they are in the fence. 

#36 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 14:41

I think Dolph has a monopoly on them in the Indycar threads.

There are so many good things about Will Power it almost seems reductive just to concentrate on his name.

As for his name, what were his parents thinking? I suppose they could have named him "Girl", that would be worse.

#37 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 15:41

But there is so many red marks on Will Power's career and driving abilities, that it might take something extra (some "will power"), in the final races to take his first title. 

Power wasn't incident prone on road\street courses until late 2013, when he consciously changed his approach (he was dominant on them in 2010-12, but not now). He's also not starting from pole position nearly as often as he used to.

#38 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,964 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 15:45

As for his name, what were his parents thinking? I suppose they could have named him "Girl", that would be worse.

or Flower

#39 Radoye

Radoye

• 3,364 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:01

RHR seems the best bet at the moment, given the history of Will and Helio choking at the last moment. I'd like to see Pagenaud win it but he's crap on ovals which puts him at a disadvantage given there's practically 3 ovals (2, but one pays double) and 2 non-ovals left. Montoya could do it if he has 4 perfect weekends with everyone else messing up (which will never happen). Everyone else is too far behind to have a realistic shot.

Well, after the last race it seems RHR's chances have taken quite a bit of a knock. Looks like it's between Power and Helio now, with the other 4 having just an outside chance.

But i'm still waiting to see what will WP and HCN do this time to snatch the defeat out of the jaws of victory. :)

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,703 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:04

I think Power can pretty much wrap it up next time.

I know Fontana is double points but Indycar is so generous with its points that even just turning up at the last race might just be enough for Will if he wins Sonoma (likely) and Helio has a bad day.

#41 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 13:17

I'm hoping Pagenaud can win at Sonoma, it'd be nice to see him still in the hunt heading into Fontana.

#42 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:05

As of now, 26 people jinxed Will Power. But I think this year it's going to work for him anyway!

#43 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 16:55

Now I voted Will Power. Even if he crashes in the season finale (again), it still means Helio needs to deliver, which is far from certain.

#44 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 17:02

This series amazes me. I still have no clue who is the best driver...
I am leaning towards Will.. but damn, it is so hard to give him that credit..
Montoya, pushing 40, comes back 14 years later and he is still a top dog in the ovals is what throws me off..

#45 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:28

Montoya was the best oval driver in CART and after a hiatus in F1 went back to driving ovals from 2006 onwards. It shouldn't be that surprising!

#46 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:42

Just see Castroneves and Power doing something to hand RHR or Pagenaud the title. If the Penske cars run as they have this year, Pagenaud has no shot.

Seems Castroneves and  RHR are doing the shooting in foot to give Power his first title. 

After that race in Milwaukee, I have some renewed respect for the Australia Bomber. At least when it comes to the driving aspect. The guy can wheel a race car. Still hold the opinion he is a top 5 driver in the world now. And that destroying of all comers in Wisconsin has boosted that. 

#47 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,329 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:45

There are many talented drivers in Indycar, but it's Power and Dixon who seem capable of accessing a different world of speed. I suspect that even with the breaks Will would not have succeeded in F1 but Dixon was plain unlucky.

Edited by Risil, 19 August 2014 - 19:50.

#48 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:01

There are many talented drivers in Indycar, but it's Power and Dixon who seem capable of accessing a different world of speed. I suspect that even with the breaks Will would not have succeeded in F1 but Dixon was plain unlucky.

Dixon got stuck in the IRL's oval years when he was at his prime for an F1 seat. Still thought it should have been a seat swap at the very least in '05 for Briscoe. Not the best place to start an F1 career at Toyota (ask da Matta), but Dixon was still at the age where he could have used that seat to leap upward. The open McLaren seat in '08, even the Webber seat at Red Bull in '07. Coula-woulda-shoulda... 

Will is just a rebel. A guy who drives a car like a car. F1 is just driving a jet plane. Don't think Power would have done well in any era of F1. 

#49 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:03

^ No shout out for Pagenaud? Schmidt-Hamilton is a small team and he consistently drags that thing to the front - that he's even competing with Power, Dixon et al. is a great testament to his talent.

#50 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:14

^ No shout out for Pagenaud? Schmidt-Hamilton is a small team and he consistently drags that thing to the front - that he's even competing with Power, Dixon et al. is a great testament to his talent.

He's got an oval left. Even if he wins Sonoma and the other 3 contenders falter, Fontana will leave him with a best finish of 6th-7th, with a Penske car or RHR taking at least one of the top 3 spots.