Photo
- - - - -

Grid Girls - F1 Living In The Past?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
522 replies to this topic

Poll: Grid Girls - Yes/No (414 member(s) have cast votes)

F1 Grid Girls - Stay or Go???

1. No, I like seeing them, keep them (230 votes [53.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.12%

2. I'd like grid girls replaced with mascots (ie fans) (27 votes [6.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.24%

3. I don't like them but I have no alternate suggestions (26 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

4. I don't care (96 votes [22.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.17%

5. I like them but I'd like to see them go (19 votes [4.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.39%

6. Have no mascot/eye candy (35 votes [8.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.08%

Vote

#1 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 638 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:17

I suspect I'm probably gonna slated for bringing this up, keep it clean please, it's not an invitation to send me abuse!!

Is it time F1 looked at the role grid girls play in the F1 weekend? Ie remove and potentially replace them? 

People's thoughts....

Edited by Elissa, 30 July 2014 - 18:38.

Advertisement

#2 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 638 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:24

For those that say 'keep em' anyone brave enough to justify why??? 

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:26

Hmmm, none of the above, really. I suppose it seems a bit anachronistic for 2014 I guess, seeing women on the grid solely as decorations at a time when teams are employing women at all levels of the business like engineers and mechanics.

#4 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:28

A beautiful woman in the company of a fast moving man is never a thing of the past.

Also you can be a fast moving lady independently of the presence of grid girls. A grid girl can be a business woman tomorrow. No need to be negative or limit your plans based on what you see on a race weekend!

#5 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,066 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:32

Maybe replace them with young fans like with football when the players come on the field? (voted I don't care)

Edited by Ijsman, 30 July 2014 - 16:32.

#6 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:33

Some of them are there to represent sponsors, Santander for instance. I don't really pay much attention to them though.

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:37

Just take the sexist element out of it and add grid dudes to stand in front of the female race car driver's cars.  There may just be  1 at first, but like everything else, you will have more over time.  They can put a few dudes in the walk to the podium - don't think anyone will care. 

#8 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:44

I don't really care, voted 'i dont like them' though because it seems very unnecessary. Not like they add anything, might as well do something funnier with it or stop it completely. Seems to be a bit of a waste to have people just stand there doing nothing. The suggestion to handle it like in football with children getting into the stadium - a formula 1 alternative might make the sport more accessible to certain fans.

Edited by ElDictatore, 30 July 2014 - 16:46.

#9 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 638 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:44

I think Bourbon has probably hit upon what will happen first...

What happens in Indycar at the moment? Do the ladies get grid guys?

Would any F1 driver prefer a grid guy instead, given the choice? I'm not at all thinking about someone down the back of the grid :-)

Edited by Elissa, 30 July 2014 - 16:45.

#10 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:45

i think grid girls is nonsensical, agree that girls lining up stairs in pit building for podium and entrance for drivers parade etc is just funny (what's the point of that, seriously), altho not strongly disagreed and opposed either.

Well I think they can just go, but dont need to be banned. no replacement needed. Kids filling their position isnt bad idea, tho.

#11 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Rather have grid girls over boys.

#12 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,904 posts

It depends if you view women as people or just objects to gawp at.

#13 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 8,597 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:46

Sure some of them are very pretty, but I couldn't care less if they were or were not there. 

#14 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:48

Just take the sexist element out of it and add grid dudes to stand in front of the female race car driver's cars.  There may just be  1 at first, but like everything else, you will have more over time.  They can put a few dudes in the walk to the podium - don't think anyone will care. 

They did that in MotoGP (250 class I think) a few years ago with a female rider.  I think she may have been German and the sponsor was Dark Dog.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 30 July 2014 - 16:49.

#15 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:49

The BTCC did this many years ago - I seem to recall Nettan Lindgren having a grid guy at one point, and I think other female drivers have done the same in the support races.

#16 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Say for instance the unthinkable happens and Simona turns up in F1 next year....would it look a little stupid having some hot chick stood in front of her on the grid?

Easy solution: replace them with a hot boy - just like we had podium boys instead of podium girls last Sunday in Paris for La Course http://road.cc/conte...ce-finale-paris

#17 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

I voted "I don't care" because this was the best option for me. I guess I just kind of ignore them - not to my taste  :p

I guess what I don't like about grid girls is the fact they basically do nothing other hold a board and clap. I am all for women in a man's world (well, I would be) but as SophieB alludes to, it does seem a bit weird that at a time when teams are employing women in typically-male jobs that we still have grid girls. I am not even bothered by the fact that they are there for 'show' - I used to work in a male-dominated environment and saw and experienced worse. I guess that it's just not what I would call a real job in the grand scheme of things.

Still, I guess that those who do become grid girls realise what they are getting into and I suppose it is not going to change anytime soon. 

For what it's worth, if I ever became a racing driver (not at all likely), I would not be offended by having a grid girl instead of a grid boy - just as long as the grid girl was OK with it.

Edited by GoodSister, 30 July 2014 - 16:51.

#18 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:50

Drop them or keep them, I don't care. I like the idea of having a grid boy for female drivers. If Simona makes it to F1 next year put some chiseled statue of a man in front of her car, who cares?

The only part that pisses me off is when people try to use the argument that it's objectifying, because even if it is, who is doing that objectifying? Whenever you hear Hindaugh or someone of his ilk rant about how it's time to get past the sexist 70s, no one ever seems to be able to produce any evidence of evil men forcing pretty women at gunpoint into the degrading role of being paid to look good. We just blame the "problem" on mythical sex-crazed men who presumably block any attempt to make grid girls a thing of the past. Was Eddie Jordan being a sexist asshole for paying pretty women to stand in front of his race cars? As far as I'm aware, those women are free to go slave away as a cashier at Walmart if they want to. I don't think any of those girls secretly long to make $2.50/hour as a waitress or to stand on their feet for 50 hours a week in a mall somewhere.

The problem with these arguments is you degrade women far more ruthlessly by trying to stop these things on your own accord then by letting them happen, because all the arguments against grid girls go against the main pro-woman argument, which is that as a woman you have a right to wear what you want and do what you want and as long as you don't hurt others, and no one's being hurt by cutie pies standing in the pit lane except perhaps the feelings of a few women out there who don't get to do that. When someone says "She's a woman, not an object", I say "She's an adult, not a child". You can campaign about how wrong and misogynist and whatever it is to have grid girls, but if you're actively trying to prevent an adult woman capable of making her own choices from doing what she wants to satisfy some arbitrary bullshit moral line in the sand you've drawn up in your own head, you're being a hell of a lot more hurtful to women than a guy looking at a pretty girl at a race track is.

At the end of the day this is a bit much to get all riled up about, and regardless of whether it offends you to see a lovely young woman acting as some sort of smiling and clapping wallpaper, you can take some solace in knowing that each lady dressed up in the home country's most stereotypical dress likely has more integrity than the entire F1 paddock she's there to promote has put together.

#19 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:52

I went to a big kart race recently and they had grid girls. Was very very weird.

Advertisement

#20 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:54

Drop them or keep them, I don't care. I like the idea of having a grid boy for female drivers. If Simona makes it to F1 next year put some chiseled statue of a man in front of her car, who cares?

The only part that pisses me off is when people try to use the argument that it's objectifying, because even if it is, who is doing that objectifying? Whenever you hear Hindaugh or someone of his ilk rant about how it's time to get past the sexist 70s, no one ever seems to be able to produce any evidence of evil men forcing pretty women at gunpoint into the degrading role of being paid to look good. We just blame the "problem" on mythical sex-crazed men who presumably block any attempt to make grid girls a thing of the past. Was Eddie Jordan being a sexist asshole for paying pretty women to stand in front of his race cars? As far as I'm aware, those women are free to go slave away as a cashier at Walmart if they want to. I don't think any of those girls secretly long to make $2.50/hour as a waitress or to stand on their feet for 50 hours a week in a mall somewhere.

The problem with these arguments is you degrade women far more ruthlessly by trying to stop these things on your own accord then by letting them happen, because all the arguments against grid girls go against the main pro-woman argument, which is that as a woman you have a right to wear what you want and do what you want and as long as you don't hurt others, and no one's being hurt by cutie pies standing in the pit lane except perhaps the feelings of a few women out there who don't get to do that. When someone says "She's a woman, not an object", I say "She's an adult, not a child". You can campaign about how wrong and misogynist and whatever it is to have grid girls, but if you're actively trying to prevent an adult woman capable of making her own choices from doing what she wants to satisfy some arbitrary bullshit moral line in the sand you've drawn up in your own head, you're being a hell of a lot more hurtful to women than a guy looking at a pretty girl at a race track is.

At the end of the day this is a bit much to get all riled up about, and regardless of whether it offends you to see a lovely young woman acting as some sort of smiling and clapping wallpaper, you can take some solace in knowing that each lady dressed up in the home country's most stereotypical dress likely has more integrity than the entire F1 paddock she's there to promote has put together.

Who's all riled up here? Other than you, a bit.

#21 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:56

Not sure having children on the grid is allowed for insurance reasons, certainly not a good idea on safety grounds.

They are not allowed in the pit lane either, even if they are royalty - a friend of mine tried to eject a pair of UK young royals who had wandered away from their chaperone (JYS) in the pit lane at a BGP - a few seconds later he was apprehended by two burly gentlemen with bulges under their left armpits though did eventually let him go after he explained he was only doing his job and it was for their own safety - their mother however was 'not amused'. 

#22 gwk

gwk

• 107 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:00

I think we need photos.  As sort of example, you know…

#23 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:00

I suspect I'm probably gonna slated for bringing this up, keep it clean please, it's not an invitation to send me abuse!!

Is it time F1 looked at the role grid girls play in the F1 weekend? Ie remove and potentially replace them? 

I suspect I'm not the only person that feels weirded out watching a disinterested winner walk his way through 30 odd girls all dolled up like Stepford Wives.

Say for instance the unthinkable happens and Simona turns up in F1 next year....would it look a little stupid having some hot chick stood in front of her on the grid?

Personally I'd like to see them replaced with mascots, what does a pretty girl bring to the grid? You can go looking for hot chicks anywhere on the internet. 

People's thoughts....

F1 is quite tuned down with the grid girls except for the race end applause. I was weirded out with what IndyCar did with a girl a couple of years ago. Wo the winner was inteviewed and a pretty girl stands next to him just smiling and doing nothing. That was weird.

#24 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:02

i think grid girls is nonsensical, agree that girls lining up stairs in pit building for podium and entrance for drivers parade etc is just funny (what's the point of that, seriously), altho not strongly disagreed and opposed either.

Well I think they can just go, but dont need to be banned. no replacement needed. Kids filling their position isnt bad idea, tho.

That's a good idea to put kids (like in soccer) to applaud. But I bet they could be troublesome to control. They'd need a headmaster.

#25 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 5,725 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:05

It's just another job for them, as one explained whilst I was chatting to her whilst they where waiting in the pouring rain ready to parade onto the grid for a BGP at Silverstone - the only complaint she had was that whoever designed the orange RAC costume they were wearing had not considered the effect of rain - she said she hoped her mum & dad where not watching if there was a close-up on the grid!

#26 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:06

This gets brought up every so often, and truthfully I don't care whether they stay or go. The grid girls don't make any difference to the event.

I do think though that the suggestion F1 can avoid looking sexist when we have a female driver by having a male model in front of the car misses the point.

#27 Anthem

Anthem

• 24 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:07

For those that say 'keep em' anyone brave enough to justify why???

It's work for them, win-win.

#28 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:09

I don't care. Mark Webber would like them to stay thou.

webber.gif

#29 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:11

I came to this thread for pics ,,,, where are they?

#30 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 225 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:13

Valencia GP had a mix of male and female for Telefonica in 2008

http://www.formula1..../race/2008/798/

Edited by yasushi888, 30 July 2014 - 17:15.

#31 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:13

@ExFlagMan and Dolph

havent thought about that. Yeah safety is a concern, esp on grid/track.

Surely there's no problem if in a building on the way to podium? Whether anyone should line up there is another question in the first place, tho. Or maybe it will be a good experience for kids actually, even if most of them dont understand what it is instantly at the time.

#32 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:14

I suspect I'm not the only person that feels weirded out watching a disinterested winner walk his way through 30 odd girls all dolled up like Stepford Wives.

Personally I'd like to see them replaced with mascots, what does a pretty girl bring to the grid? You can go looking for hot chicks anywhere on the internet. 

People's thoughts....

Then give her a hot guy ..... gender equality does not mean we have to be kill joys

... and who knows, she may prefer a hot girl.... and that's OK too ... this being 2014 and all :cat:

Edited by jjcale, 30 July 2014 - 17:15.

#33 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:19

Not sure having children on the grid is allowed for insurance reasons, certainly not a good idea on safety grounds.

They are not allowed in the pit lane either, even if they are royalty - a friend of mine tried to eject a pair of UK young royals who had wandered away from their chaperone (JYS) in the pit lane at a BGP - a few seconds later he was apprehended by two burly gentlemen with bulges under their left armpits though did eventually let him go after he explained he was only doing his job and it was for their own safety - their mother however was 'not amused'. 

Now that's a real anachronism .... but that's for another time and place

#34 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:20

Who's all riled up here? Other than you, a bit.

Using lots of words doesn't mean riled up. It means trying to explain a point of view thoroughly when the thread is about women and the first two people to post in it are women.

#35 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:23

Voted I don't care.

In a day and age where we are all no longer allowed to think and act as individuals, they will most likely be gone as pacification of some unvoiced opinion against. I do not see it as any deal, big or small so seeing or not seeing them will not make a difference in the coverage since I no longer look at pretty pictures of cars, I do not get the 'glamour' part of the ladies.

Did we not use to have a 'grid girls' thread? Or was that somewhere else?

Guess I do care after all :rotfl:

:cool:

#36 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 638 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:23

Using lots of words doesn't mean riled up. It means trying to explain a point of view thoroughly when the thread is about women and the first two people to post in it are women.

Fair enough, didn't see anybody getting riled in the first place.

#37 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:24

Fair enough, didn't see anybody getting riled in the first place.

We are women though - he has got us there.

#38 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:26

In honor of this thread I have updated my profile picture.

:cool:

#39 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:28

No, the lots of words didn't make you sound all riled up  - all the angry stuff about feminists and how perhaps it is they who are the real sexists in this world did.

Advertisement

#40 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:30

It is old fashioned and a reflection of the male heterosexist domination of the sport, to have these (often) scantily dressed women 'on display'. 

I don't think any modern emancipated man or woman think it's a great thing. I think it tarnishes the image of this sport.

I like what they're doing in football when the players enter the pitch with young girls and boys. In that way you're helping to expose kids to the sport which helps the spread to other kids. Or maybe another group as long it's not about your young female skin.

Edit: just noticed the idea from soccer was posted earlier. Agree. Good idea.

Edited by Timstr11, 30 July 2014 - 17:41.

#41 DS27

DS27

• 4,674 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:39

I had a grid girl once, but I drew the short straw and she was a bit of a munter. Still, maybe they thought we went well together.

She couldn't even be arsed to stand up and sat on my bonnet until she could get off the grid. T'was all quite amusing really.

I'm all for them anyway, what's wrong with a bit of glamour, in this generally dull world.

#42 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:43

I had a grid girl once, but I drew the short straw and she was a bit of a munter. Still, maybe they thought we went well together.

She couldn't even be arsed to stand up and sat on my bonnet until she could get off the grid. T'was all quite amusing really.

I'm all for them anyway, what's wrong with a bit of glamour, in this generally dull world.

The mental image of a surly, lazy grid girl is amusing to me so as I picture this in my head, your gird girl is played by the Teamster from Futurama.

#43 Joe Tanto

Joe Tanto

• 47 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:44

Keep grid girls.

I view grid girls both as people and  as something to gawp it.

They look pretty usually and make the event more colourful, plus for bikers especially they keep the rain off.

Not so much with F1 but with other series particularly bikes often the brolly dollys are girlfriends / wives anyway.

Theres no problem if a female participant wants a male is there.

I do think maybe its time to stop the media access to the grid though.

The grid walks used to be a novelty but they have become mostly pointless.

Edited by Joe Tanto, 30 July 2014 - 17:44.

#44 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:46

I agree and the clapping thing is bizarre. Just get rid of them, they no purpose other than being eye candy.

While you're at it, lose all the celebs on the grid too.

#45 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:49

I don't care, it seems terribly superfluous and I doubt anyone would miss them if they weren't around. But at the same time I know a lot of these girls are just making something extra on the weekend, which seems fair enough.

And besides, you never know where spending the weekend holding up a sign might lead...  ;)

Given the dozens of reactions along the lines of 'whos that' and 'name of girl??' to the all too common pitbox shots during the race and qualifying, including on this very forum, one might suspect that the possibilities of this new 'Internet'-thing haven't yet fully dawned on all F1 viewers. :p

Edited by Nonesuch, 30 July 2014 - 18:00.

#46 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 17:50

The clapping on the way to the podium just looks pathetic IMO. It would be great if young fans could be on the grid instead much like we see with children coming onto the pitch at the start of football games - but there's the health and safety issue as described above and no doubt it would only be available to the children of the chosen few in the paddock club and not real fans.

#47 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:00

I don't care much but I wonder if it puts off potential female fans.

For guys - imagine how you'd feel if there were highly sexualised and scantily clad men adorning the sport (only men, no women).

It's a little strange I think and a product of the sport still being run by dinosaurs...BUT I've never really been bothered by it in reality.

#48 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:10

It depends if you view women as people or just objects to gawp at.

Like you could decide... ( as male...)....

Only SBK or MotoGP-style  grid girls make sense... to me as male, as citizin I say get rid of the F1 grid girls, this kind of thing it is outdated and degrading.

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 30 July 2014 - 18:11.

#49 tomspar

tomspar

• 1,433 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:16

I voted to keep them. I am quite OK with using men and transgendered individuals also. Its high time they did. I do think that the gridstaff should be sponsored by a design house - would love to see Salvatore Ferragamo dress them for Italy as an example. I cannot imagine any racer is thinking about the gender of the gridstaff when a race is about to start anyway.

#50 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 638 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 18:20

Yer the clapping thing just looks weird....half of the time they're hardly smiling.

Putting aside the eye candy debate....wouldn't it be cool if the drivers were high fiving a row of fans on the walk to the podium instead??

Edited by Elissa, 30 July 2014 - 18:21.