51 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:05

Full press release - http://blog.codemast.../f1/07/f1-2014/

And video

2014 a stop-gap until 2015, it looks like.

Advertisement

#2 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:39

I'll just repeat something I said on reddit.

I'm not sure if I'll pick this game up. Codemasters has made a pretty decent F1 series and I like the gameplay, but it's basically become the EA Sports of the F1 video game world where you don't really need to buy the new games unless you want roster changes and maybe a new track or two. Hopefully they have some cool new features to entice people who want more than just a driver/livery update.

Career mode definitely needs some new features to actually make it feel like a career, like drivers swapping teams, fictional rookies coming in after the first season, etc. Making a "custom championship" where you can shift drivers around the teams and rearrange the calendar would also be a lot of fun. Imagine the Mercedes drivers, Bianchi and Hulkenberg, dominating the first race of the championship at Spa.

Just a few more fun little things to tinker with would be fine, Codemasters. The classic cars in the last game was a good start, but it was executed in a semi tacky fashion. Give us more meat rather than just updated drivers and liveries. New animations would be awesome too, since the garage you sit in is pretty much the same as it was in F1 2010 right down to the animations of mechanics and such. Same with when you win a race, we're treated to the same fist bumping/finger wagging animations that we've had for a few years now. Not adding any new animations like that over four years now feels sort of... lazy.

Edited by UPRC, 31 July 2014 - 10:53.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:49

The last Codemasters F1 game I bought was the one from 2012, as I had skipped 2011 and was wondering about some of the new features.The gameplay being what it is seems fine. It's not too serious but does reward decent driving. Like UPRC said, unless you're desperate to drive the Russian track - or demolish the competition in the Mercedes - there doesn't seem much reason to keep buying these games year after year.

Let's also hope that Codemasters will be able to make better use of the new consoles next year, and make some steps in the graphical department to bring it up to par with other recent racing games. From looking at that video, the heavy use of LODs and the awkward lighting that bathes the entire side of the car in a weird white glow are still as present as they were in 2010.

#4 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 15:35

I wonder if biggest change is the engine sound(?)  :p

#5 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 17:26

I wonder if biggest change is the engine sound(?)  :p

Probably.

I remember when Codemasters acquired the F1 license. Everyone was pretty hopeful, and F1 2010 was a pretty decent start, but... it sort of feels like we're still playing F1 2010, albeit slightly modded, four years later. That shouldn't be the case, and it's probably why nobody seems particularly excited about F1 2014 on the sites I'm frequenting.

If you compare the changes between the four Psygnosis games on the PS1 (F1 '95, '97 CE, '98, '99) and then look at what's different over the course of Codemaster's four games... it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it? Especially with those games being 15-19 years old?

Edited by UPRC, 31 July 2014 - 17:38.

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,708 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:44

I'll just repeat something I said on reddit.

I'm not sure if I'll pick this game up. Codemasters has made a pretty decent F1 series and I like the gameplay, but it's basically become the EA Sports of the F1 video game world where you don't really need to buy the new games unless you want roster changes and maybe a new track or two. Hopefully they have some cool new features to entice people who want more than just a driver/livery update.

Career mode definitely needs some new features to actually make it feel like a career, like drivers swapping teams, fictional rookies coming in after the first season, etc. Making a "custom championship" where you can shift drivers around the teams and rearrange the calendar would also be a lot of fun. Imagine the Mercedes drivers, Bianchi and Hulkenberg, dominating the first race of the championship at Spa.

Just a few more fun little things to tinker with would be fine, Codemasters. The classic cars in the last game was a good start, but it was executed in a semi tacky fashion. Give us more meat rather than just updated drivers and liveries. New animations would be awesome too, since the garage you sit in is pretty much the same as it was in F1 2010 right down to the animations of mechanics and such. Same with when you win a race, we're treated to the same fist bumping/finger wagging animations that we've had for a few years now. Not adding any new animations like that over four years now feels sort of... lazy.

I'm with you. I actually only bought 2013 because of the classic content. Otherwise I was happy to skip it, like I did for 2011.

#7 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:38

I remember when Codemasters acquired the F1 license. Everyone was pretty hopeful, and F1 2010 was a pretty decent start, but... it sort of feels like we're still playing F1 2010, albeit slightly modded, four years later. That shouldn't be the case, and it's probably why nobody seems particularly excited about F1 2014 on the sites I'm frequenting.

I agree, but it's important to keep in mind that when Codemasters released F1 2010, the platforms for which it was designed were already half a decade old. They have been using the EGO engine, in various forms, since 2008. Thanks to the vastly superior hardware on a lot of gaming-PCs, games like Assetto Corsa and Project CARS can afford to implement things that Codemasters could never get running decently on an Xbox or Playstation. That's only really their fault in so far as that they have decided to focus their efforts on these platforms.

In terms of gameplay though, there definitely could have been more variety. That is, if it was allowed. License holders, and given its record I suspect F1 is probably among the most strict, tend to forbid things that divert too much from the actual sport or championship. I imagine that things like driver changes, having Alonso suddenly pop up in a Red Bull, would be a big non-starter. That said, EA did something similar with its F1 Challenge '99-'02. I see little reason why Codemasters couldn't release an F1 Career '10-'14 to complement its yearly releases.

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 August 2014 - 08:40.

#8 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,421 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 15:38

I used to love the way on Geoff Crammond's games you felt like the AI was in the same race as you and almost human - they didn't have different physics from the human player, you could ride onboard with them and they did make mistakes and suffer exactly the same tyre wear/fuel effect you did. You could also save mid session too.

Have Codemasters come even close to achieving this yet?

#9 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 15:47

Nope.

#10 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:22

I used to love the way on Geoff Crammond's games you felt like the AI was in the same race as you and almost human - they didn't have different physics from the human player, you could ride onboard with them and they did make mistakes and suffer exactly the same tyre wear/fuel effect you did. You could also save mid session too.

And the funny part is, those games were from 15!!! years ago. Now 15 years later, Codemasters can't even produce something close to that, with all the modern day techniques at their desposal.

#11 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:39

Probably.

If you compare the changes between the four Psygnosis games on the PS1 (F1 '95, '97 CE, '98, '99) and then look at what's different over the course of Codemaster's four games... it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it? Especially with those games being 15-19 years old?

I felt after F197 it went downhill. They added more things but the game play and graphics looked horrible on F199

#12 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:24

That game didn't have multiplayer though, these days with high speed internet and many willing online racers (or clubs, leagues etc things like iRacing).. AI is seen as less of a priority.  Not just in racing titles but in a lot of games in general.  Some don't have any AI at all.

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,708 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:57

In Grand Prix 2, I would occasionally set up a 0 player race (you could do that by deselecting all the drivers), and then at the start press the Insert key to switch on the TV director. The camera would then cycle though cars and camera views, and when a car had a problem, or there was an overtake, the camera would switch to it automatically. Oh and if I got bored I could save mid race and come back later.

This was in a game released in 1996, and it could often be as entertaining as the real thing.

#14 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 16:25

That game didn't have multiplayer though, these days with high speed internet and many willing online racers (or clubs, leagues etc things like iRacing).. AI is seen as less of a priority.  Not just in racing titles but in a lot of games in general.  Some don't have any AI at all.

Be that as it may for games like iRacing, but only 7,8% of F1 2012 players on Steam have completed the 'Online Dedication' achievement, which is awarded to those who complete 15 online races.

In comparison, 55,9% of players on Steam have received the 'FORMULA ONE is Back!' achievement, given to players who complete a Grand Prix in Career or Season Challenge mode.

#15 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:11

Email Codemasters those stats then.  Maybe it can help to show them that they should dedicate more resources into it.

I've never enjoyed competiting against AI in anything because no matter how well implemented, it's not the same as a human being.. for the same reason, I wouldn't even be typing this, if this forum was only AI accounts posing as people.  It's not dynamic and adaptive like real human intelligence is, it's very static.  The two things people seem to like about it that it can be scripted, in terms of telling a story, or that it can be controlled (easy, medium, hard etc).  But even when it's controlled, it's usually either unrealistically hard in certain areas, but also too easy in others.  It's really hard to balance it out.  Not just racing, or shooters, or chess.. but in anything.

There was a time where it was necessary due to a lack of internet or poor connection speeds, but those days have been gone in the last 10-15 years or so.

It's never the same thing (for me).  It's always either too easy or too hard, or too predictable.  I'd rather have a one on one battle against one real person, preferably close in skill level.. and chat/talk with them while doing it, than have 20 AI opponents in whatever type of competition it is.  You learn/absorb/adapt more from people as well, and they can even explain/help to make you better, in whatever it is you are competiting in.

But if others out there enjoy it, and the numbers support it, maybe they can spend more time trying to make those people happy.  In terms of F1 titles, they need to spend more time copying/learning from the average pilot, and making the braking points and top speeds right, because they are never even close.  One part they will be too fast, especially on certain straights and another they will brake too early or have poor corner speed.  Even if they just tried to copy the real life top speeds/cornering speeds, that'd be a start.  It'd take a lot of trial and error and OCD'ness to get it right.. but maybe lots of people could enjoy that.  Especially if used in a practice/training sort of way.  I always preferred using ghost laps/time trials for training and making setups, since you could insert real people's laptimes/ghost laps and see in real time, the parts of the track you were losing speed.  Or to see how their setup/aero/gearing differs from yours.

#16 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,222 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:00

Not going to be buying them.

Almost every game has had some fundamental flaw that's stopped me enjoying it.

Canned spins was one year, 2011? I recall last year there was no suitable difficulty level for me. One I could win a race in a Marussia, next level up im mid-grid in a Red Bull.

In terms of F1 games, F1 1997 is the peak in my book. Never played Geoff Crammond's game.

In terms of racing games, TOCA 2 remains untouchable for me. 16 years after it came out, I still have never found a better racing game. I choose a car, drive it flat out all race and if I get it all right I might win by 1-3 seconds. One mistake and its all over. Brilliant. Yet far to much to ever hope for from the modern F1 series. Codemasters, where did it all go wrong?

Oh and ad for the online stuff, Ive never online gamed any game in my life. I know nothing about it. I have no idea why but it has no appeal to me whatsoever?!?!

Edited by Burtros, 05 August 2014 - 11:02.

#17 SPBHM

SPBHM

• 1,068 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:46

OK, allow me to be a little negative here,

I still have more fun playing GP2 (1996) than the codemasters F1, the graphics style is not great (I would rather have something that looks more like Iracing or Gran Turismo, maybe the 2015 version will improve on that), but the handling is simply weird, is not good enough to be really accessible on keyboard/gamepad or new players, like GP2 with assists/default settings was, and if you play it with a wheel is also no realistic enough, compare it to some well made rfactor mod or iracing williams and it will be obvious,

also I dislike the outside of the car stuff they have, they should allow me to skip more, and the menus and all the presentation, is nice for 5 minutes, after that is just annoying I would rather have a quicker and simpler menu/season/career system.

also being forced to input a name or play a lap, race before seeing the main menu to change settings is stupid,

#18 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 14:17

Probably.

I think it's better if Codies could come up with F1 2015 with season 2014 and/or classic content or GP2/GP3 series as their DLC rather than have F1 2014 first.

#19 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 13:25

I've bought all of the CM F1 Games so far because I'm competing in online-leagues and that's also the only reason I play this game at all. The Legend AI is just painfully slow and way too easy to pass and even Career-mode gets boring after a while because there's nothing exciting about it.

I feel like 2010 was a good start, 2011 was a huge step back in terms of handling-realism and from 2012 onwards the game got better and better. With the latest version of F12013 I feel like they've produced their best version yet. Classic cars are fun but way too fast, you can manage to get within 2 seconds of your PB in a modern 2013 car when driving the Lotus 98T, which is just plain stupid.

Advertisement

#20 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:57

I think it's better if Codies could come up with F1 2015 with season 2014 and/or classic content or GP2/GP3 series as their DLC rather than have F1 2014 first.

You won't get GP2 or GP3 because they're not included in the licence: https://twitter.com/...205263129837568

#21 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 15:45

I've bought every edition since Codies took over but it's going to be hard to justify buying '14 when the biggest new feature is an" evaluation mode" for newbies. I really wish they'd let us have a sliding scale on the AI like some of the people mod in on the PC version. I'll definitely pick up '15 though as I'm interested to see what they do when they build a new engine, I think the games in the past have been a bit limited by the Dirt engine being reused. 

#22 purplehaireddolphin

purplehaireddolphin

• 312 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:22

Have I mis-read it or does it say that 2014 includes the new engines, power trains etc, which surely makes it a different proposition to 20112 or 2013 and therefore worth buying.

Plus if they're then switching to making F1 games for the new gen consoles, I assume that there won't be any releases for the PS3 or xbox 360 after this year, so I might as well buy it cos I won't be getting the PS4 or Xbox One for a while yet.

#23 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 00:00

I fear that incorporating the new engines will be limited to a binary grip reduction step and the addition of lawn mower sound effects. I may be too cynical...

#24 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:33

I fear that incorporating the new engines will be limited to a binary grip reduction step and the addition of lawn mower sound effects. I may be too cynical...

Or realistic...

#25 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 21:45

Although it is not included in the licence I would like to see GP2 and GP3 included. Like you first have to be become champion in the lower classes before you can jump into a F1 car, that would make the career mode a lot more interesting. 

#26 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 21:58

Will the Classic Content return from F1 2013?

Last year we featured classic content as the sport itself hadn’t changed a great deal and we wanted to offer a different experience alongside the main 2013 content. However, seeing as 2014 has seen masses of changes to the sport itself, which is providing a different F1 experience for this year’s game and the fact that we are also working on a new generation F1 game, we’ve had to take a break from classic content this year. Don’t despair though, classic content is something we’re still very interested in and will explore again later in the series.

I suspect classic content will be gone for a good while.

#27 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:48

f1-2014_Xbox360_288.jpg

What car is this?

#28 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 19:54

Based on the nose, probably the one the FIA had in mind when it cooked up the rules. :p

But all joking aside, the round air-intake looks a bit like the Lotus, which might also explain the heavily edited nose.

#29 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 19:21

My main question is: Will F1 2014 be worth €70, for basically a few new tracks and new car models on 2013?

#30 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 20:21

My main question is: Will F1 2014 be worth €70, for basically a few new tracks and new car models on 2013?

I recall earlier versions being (heavily) discounted as early as November, so if you're doubting now I suppose the more prudent choice of action would be to wait. That's for the PC version obviously, which will be €50 at release.

If the €70 suggests a console version then it becomes less obvious, as those tend not to get discounted as often or quickly.

#31 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:47

I recall earlier versions being (heavily) discounted as early as November, so if you're doubting now I suppose the more prudent choice of action would be to wait. That's for the PC version obviously, which will be €50 at release.

If the €70 suggests a console version then it becomes less obvious, as those tend not to get discounted as often or quickly.

I could wait for used game stores :)

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 15:47

f1-2014_Xbox360_288.jpg

What car is this?

Red Bull?

#33 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 15:50

So there is some gameplay out there from Japan (the game is being released there earlier):

I'm afraid it is indeed a copy and paste job. This may be the first one I don't buy. I think the bulk of the effort is on 2015 and this is a version their contract requires them to produce. A real shame it couldn't be done as DLC.

#34 JackyBoy

JackyBoy

• 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 23:45

I'm afraid it is indeed a copy and paste job. This may be the first one I don't buy. I think the bulk of the effort is on 2015 and this is a version their contract requires them to produce. A real shame it couldn't be done as DLC.

Yeah, it doesn't look great, I've had every codemasters F1 game so far but I'll probably skip this and wait until next years game, probably gonna spend my money on Project Cars instead.

#35 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 16:02

Well, all of Codemasters' F1 games pretty much all copy and paste jobs in a lot of aspects. This one seems to be the worst culprit, though. Definitely a pass from me.

#36 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:34

They will have Sochi and A1 Ring, driving couple of thousands miles of these track and that's good for me.

#37 Steveaki13

Steveaki13

• 13 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 22:08

I remember I used to be quite good at the A1 ring. Be interesting to see how 2014 me drives the circuit these days.  :cat:

#38 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 18:13

2014 obviously is 2013 with new car models, never hoped for anything better. But I really hope 2015 does vary from it's prequels. With focus on new gen consoles, it surely has to have updated graphics, it's a given. Seriously, if there are no new features or driving experience it will be a failure from Codemasters - yet, probably still profitable one.

#39 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 16:14

I'm doubtful 2014 will offer anything new over 2013 (except Sochi), but will buy on my way home tonight (from Game - Tesco being too useless to stock it!) in order to indulge in some online racing. 

Really looking forward to F1 2015 though, and hopeful of some decent, genuine advances.  Not sure whether to go Xbox 1 or PS4 - I understand peripherals are not automatically compatible from Xbox360 or PS3 respectively so my (excellent IMO) MS wheel and pedals may be rendered obsolete.

Advertisement

#40 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:19

The handling is a bit different, for what it's worth. Quite fun with a wheel, though it's apparently been dumbed down on pad. 

#41 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:38

Yeah, need to re-tweak my wheel setup, feels a bit different than 2013. Enjoyed A1 Ring so much! :D

#42 richardnunney

richardnunney

• 75 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:49

Only 7 gears?  

Lazy work by Codemasters if that really is the case.

#43 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 13:46

Nope, 8. There was just no need to use the 8th one around Spielberg.

Edited by GoldenColt, 19 October 2014 - 13:47.

#44 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 21:12

After buying F1 2011/12/13 on launch day and getting the exact same bug in ALL three games, I've decided to skip this one.

I feel I've given them enough time to sort their **** out, I won't throw another £40 at them this year.

#45 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:43

It's actually not bad. I loved F1 2010 and 2012. F1 2011 was the worst game of the series and I also didn't like 2013.

So 2014 is not bad but for F1 2015 they have to blow us away otherwise I won't buy it.

#46 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:12

The AI/difficulty settings in 2014 are completely crazy.  There is a 5 second a lap difference for the AI just moving the difficulty up/down one notch (out of 5 total difficulties).  This makes it almost impossible to dial in the difficulty to a point where it's not too easy or too hard.

To give you an idea, I dominated a race at Melbourne in a Williams winning by over 30 seconds over Rosberg.  So I moved the difficulty up one notch, redid the same race and finished 13th...  Massa finished 5th in the other Williams the first race, 4th the second race.  I could have finished higher than 13th if I exploited the AI timidness in overtaking and created a giant train of cars behind me, but on pure pace 13th is where I ended up.

Oh well, at least there's online mode.

Codemaster's apparently didn't notice that Ricciardo has been faster than Vettel most of the season either.  In every race/quali I've done so far Vettel has been much faster than Ricciardo.  One race Ricciardo was in clear air with Vettel pulling away from him more than a second per lap.   :eek:

Edited by travbrad, 23 October 2014 - 04:17.

#47 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:53

The AI/difficulty settings in 2014 are completely crazy.  There is a 5 second a lap difference for the AI just moving the difficulty up/down one notch (out of 5 total difficulties).  This makes it almost impossible to dial in the difficulty to a point where it's not too easy or too hard.

To give you an idea, I dominated a race at Melbourne in a Williams winning by over 30 seconds over Rosberg.  So I moved the difficulty up one notch, redid the same race and finished 13th...  Massa finished 5th in the other Williams the first race, 4th the second race.  I could have finished higher than 13th if I exploited the AI timidness in overtaking and created a giant train of cars behind me, but on pure pace 13th is where I ended up.

Oh well, at least there's online mode.

Codemaster's apparently didn't notice that Ricciardo has been faster than Vettel most of the season either.  In every race/quali I've done so far Vettel has been much faster than Ricciardo.  One race Ricciardo was in clear air with Vettel pulling away from him more than a second per lap.   :eek:

Yup, welcome to Codemasters' F1 games. They're the cream of the crop when it comes to defying reality.

#48 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:15

For me this has been every F1 game :p on legendary, it's a real challenge to win in a end-midpack car, like the Sauber, and that's great fun, albeit unrealistic.

At legendary evel, it's impossible with a Caterham/Marrusia, way too easy with a frontrunner car like the Mercedes.

#49 Brazzers

Brazzers

• 1,479 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 17:01

Still reckon F1 Championship Edition on the PS3 was amazing. The graphics back then still looks amazing compared to the crap code masters have at the moment. 

#50 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:33

which was the one with terrible, incurable understeer? I think probably '12 after all the noise about the tail happy model in '11. Anyway, that's the last one I bought - I'll wait and see what the next gen version is like next year before giving up for good...