Photo

Mike Smith RIP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,761 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 18:22

Former touring car racer and entrant.  His TRAKSTAR team won the BTCC with Robb Gravett at the wheel in 1990.  His biggest win as a driver was probably the Willhire 24 in 1986, although he also co-drove with Gravett to a BTCC endurance race win at Brands in Robb's Championship season.

Only 59.  Complications from heart surgery.  :(

Advertisement

#2 Altitude

Altitude

• 208 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 19:04

A man of many talents who will be sadly missed. Obviously he had been ill to have required the surgery but I doubt that anyone expected this outcome. RIP.

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 19:45

I am so very sorry to hear of his death.  I agree with the poster above about his various talents. I knew him when he raced the Mobil Cosworth Sierra in '87.  He was a good man to deal with, thoroughly good company, a good racer, and a modest, very nice man, with a disposition  and demeanour seemingly  so far removed from many of the modern broadcasting types. He and Sarah were both so very fortunate to survive that helicopter crash in the late 80s.

My condolences to his wife, family, and to others who knew him well. 

RIP

Roger Lund

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 20:25

I was reading that the broadcasting bug was from doing motorsport commentaries, but his real first love was motorsports. I wonder how it would've turned out if he focused on his first love. He wouldn't have met Sarah Greene, but I suspect he could've had some major success in certain levels of either touring or sportscar racing, based on his performances of when he did race.

I wonder if another reason why he stopped racing, other than his career and recovery from injuries is whether he felt he got the accolades he deserved, or whether his fame obscured the fact that he was actually a very reasonable driver indeed.

He seemed a genuine, charming chap. Didn't always come across that way on the TV, which is probably why he stayed off it and said he didn't miss it. Condolences to Sarah, who must be distraught and his family and friends.

#5 bartchops

bartchops

• 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:21

Many years ago he signed my program at the Snetterton BTCC,then later in the day I witnessed him withstanding the wrath of Frank Sytner for achieving fastest lap and pinching the point!

#6 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:54

He  also survived a helicopter crash... 

#7 ApolloBluecat

ApolloBluecat

• 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:36

RIP Mike

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,508 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 16:20

Many years ago he signed my program at the Snetterton BTCC,then later in the day I witnessed him withstanding the wrath of Frank Sytner for achieving fastest lap and pinching the point!

Sytner's response is one of the best things on Youtube.

I got the feeling that Smith could wheel a car round. Not sure if he'd have got an opportunity in the Super Touring days but he was good value in the BMW.

Edited by Risil, 03 August 2014 - 16:20.

#9 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 14:20

What did he do after he stopped broadcasting? He seemed to go AWOL after the death on Noel Edmonds show on the bit he intorduced?

Was there not something about Trakstar going bust and owing folk money?

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,761 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 14:53

He formed an aerial photography company, shooting from helicopters which he would sometimes pilot himself.

#11 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 15:54

He formed an aerial photography company, shooting from helicopters which he would sometimes pilot himself.

http://www.flyingtv.co.uk/

RIP, Mike

#12 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 19:34

There is an obituary in the Daily Telegraph.

Roger Lund

#13 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:00

There is an obituary in the Daily Telegraph.

Roger Lund

http://www.telegraph...h-obituary.html