Photo

"Modern" historic Race bikes.......

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 23:57

Hmmmm now that I am building my own historic race bike I came across some interesting information. In order to build a competitive machine it seems that if I only do the type of modifications that we actually did during the era, I will have lost the arms race before I have even started.

The advice that I have had is that to me competitive I must build a bike that although it may look like a period machine, in reality it will have to have ultra modern internals and modifications utilising the latest technology.

Bit of a disappointment that. To merely have a bike that can keep up.... I will have to spend stupid amounts of money.

Geeze......... I might as well go and get a modern Production bike........ It seems as though it would be much cheaper.

Advertisement

#2 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:03

Well, if you've elected to enter Forgotten Era with a 1982 cutoff, but have selected a 1974 RD350 as your base bike, you're eight years behind the 8-ball in the first place, John, so with that machine selection you can't realistically be considering running at the front anyway. Not unlike racing a 1964 TD1 Yamaha against the 1972-cutoff TR3s in Period 4. In your case, you will be up against Yamaha LCs and the like.

The mods required aren't all that horrifically costly, and no racing is truly cheap, but I reckon the rewards for getting a historic bike going well and then riding it to your best capabilities far outweigh whizzing round on a cookie-cutter modern UJM clone.

Edited by GD66, 03 August 2014 - 03:04.

#3 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:47

Well, if you've elected to enter Forgotten Era with a 1982 cutoff, but have selected a 1974 RD350 as your base bike, you're eight years behind the 8-ball in the first place, John, so with that machine selection you can't realistically be considering running at the front anyway. Not unlike racing a 1964 TD1 Yamaha against the 1972-cutoff TR3s in Period 4. In your case, you will be up against Yamaha LCs and the like.The mods required aren't all that horrifically costly, and no racing is truly cheap, but I reckon the rewards for getting a historic bike going well and then riding it to your best capabilities far outweigh whizzing round on a cookie-cutter modern UJM clone.

No...no...no.... Building a Solo race bike based in an RD350......... Also looking for a period 5 outfit........

Two separate things....LOL

#4 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:50

Hence why my name on here is Quixotic......... Cannot find an LC for love or money. However I can also find lots of aircooled stuff. Lushy can get 50 reliable hp out of an aircooled RD...... NOT TOO SHABBY.

#5 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:51

Just Looking to have a bit of fun...... I don't expect to trouble the place getters..... Can't afford to....

#6 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:53

No...no...no.... Building a Solo race bike based in an RD350......... Also looking for a period 5 outfit........

Two separate things....LOL

I understand that John, but RD350s are Period 5 as well. Period 4 cutoff is end of '72, and rulebook further emphasises, no RDs and no Z1s. I think I may have a bloke over here who can find you an LC, waiting to hear back, if he has anything I will pm you his details. Just as an exercise...

#7 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 14:29

Thanks mate....... I am going to get my 2x TA125 fixed and sold....... Then it will be whatever comes up first. Either an outfit or a solo. If I get the sort of money I want for the TA's then I may even get a TZ. If I can find one. My race car should sell soon as well.

I have an aircooled chassis and a complete engine...... But like I said.... My budget will dictate what I will race. I am just keen to pull on a set of leathers again and go racing.