Vijay Mallya: Bottas star of the season

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 95 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 13:53

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115349

There can be no two opinions that Bottas has been the star of the season so far. 

Here you have the great Massa, and here you have a guy who's come out of GP3, and the first thing that comes to your mind is that he's going to be half a second behind.

He's shocked everybody and is doing a fantastic job under pressure.

Not only does he have the killer instinct but also the maturity not to get flustered.

Advertisement

#2 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 14:00

I kind of agree with VM, but I would say that Ricciardo has been at least equally big surprise if not even bigger one. Nevertheless, Bottas has been one of the best drivers this season.

#3 A.Fant

A.Fant

• 163 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 17:24

Is it just me, or is Mallya trying to pull an "Alonso" here?

I interpret it as Mallya praising Bottas to make his own car look better. I.E. the Williams isn't that much faster, it's just Bottas making the difference.

Not that Bottas hasn't been impressive, but team bosses rarely speak well of other teams without an underlying agenda and I don't think Mallya feels he has a realistic shot at luring Bottas away from Williams.

Edited by A.Fant, 12 August 2014 - 17:24.

#4 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 17:32

I doubt Mallya has an agenda, the article is probably just a few quotes taken from a much longer interview.

I kind of agree with VM, but I would say that Ricciardo has been at least equally big surprise if not even bigger one. Nevertheless, Bottas has been one of the best drivers this season.

Mallya is quoted as saying the same thing in the article :p

#5 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,409 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 18:19

He lost me at the "great Massa".

But Bottas has been very impressive in the last few months.

#6 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,745 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 18:35

HoldenRT :up:

If someone had the Batman & Robin meme to play with, I'd stick this in before the slap.

...Here you have the great Massa...

#7 turssi

turssi

• 1,251 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 00:40

Could be a good move from Mr. Mallay tô get Bottas while he is cheap.

Williams could get a champ for the next season for cheap in the form of Button.

Valtteri would improve his CV and show that he can beat Hulk/Perez.

It's a win-win-win scenario! No wonder Vijay is spinning the press!

#8 camberley

camberley

• 375 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:26

I fully agree with Mallya. Bottas has been the stand out of the season. To me, he has been more impressive than Ricciardo. The guy has high odds of being a WDC someday

All just my opinion

#9 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,657 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:26

I fully agree with Mallya. Bottas has been the stand out of the season. To me, he has been more impressive than Ricciardo. The guy has high odds of being a WDC someday

All just my opinion

Can i ask why would you say so?

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:45

As a rule, I'd only use the term "the great Massa" if it was speaking sarcastically.

#11 MrMan

MrMan

• 102 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:57

Can i ask why would you say so?

Because Bottas isn't in a Red Bull yet Ricciardo is?

Williams may have the better engine, but they don't have the budget, nor the team that Red Bull has and the fact that he's up there on the podium regularly in his second year of F1 in a Williams is more impressive than a Red Bull driver in his 4th year doing the same.

At least that's why I rate Bottas higher than Ricciardo.

#12 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 494 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:13

Bottas definitely got something special. He came so fast through gp3 to test driver -> to race driver. With very small sponsors. Williams for sure got some trust in him. 

Just not sure how long Williams can keep him. If the car stays competetive, then he'll probably stay there.

And I don't think he's very cheap anymore like someone said. Unless the last part of the season goes horribly wrong.

#13 Ducks

Ducks

• 209 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:47

He's certainly made the fight behind the two mercedes drivers interesting, hoping he can pull away in the second half and achieve 3rd in the WDC.

#14 v@sh

v@sh

• 730 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:10

Williams may have the better engine, but they don't have the budget, nor the team that Red Bull has and the fact that he's up there on the podium regularly in his second year of F1 in a Williams is more impressive than a Red Bull driver in his 4th year doing the same.

At least that's why I rate Bottas higher than Ricciardo.

I don't understand the logic in that you are basing the driver's skill on a team's budget (one where they've actually got a decent title sponsor in Martini). The Lotus cars last year should show you that having a lower budget doesn't necessarily mean a worse car.

A driver in his 3rd year up against a 4xWDC vs a driver who hasn't always set the world on fire?

You are forgetting that the Williams is quicker than the Red Bull of late (bar Hungary where it suited RB to a tee). The Williams have been half a second quicker than RB since Austria and a large part of that is down to the engine (where Bottas has got his podiums). Podiums should be the norm if they are qualifying on the front/second row. I would be more impressed with Bottas if he was maximizing his results over the whole season rather than just recently.

They should have also been better throughout the whole season, we've known since pre season Williams have a great car but they haven't maximized and that is both down to the drivers + race operations.

I think RIcciardo has been far more impressive than Bottas this season, fast both in qualy + race, great racecraft, intelligent, beating 4xWDC, only non-Mercedes car to win races. Regular podiums when the car is on the front row/second row is not going to impress me unless done on a longer term basis. Still Bottas has had a great season and of late putting more of a gap on Massa but I don't see him being better than Ricciardo. I do however, see Bottas perhaps getting 3rd in the WDC by the seasons end, the car is good enough.

#15 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 138 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:51

Could be a good move from Mr. Mallay tô get Bottas while he is cheap.

Williams could get a champ for the next season for cheap in the form of Button.

Valtteri would improve his CV and show that he can beat Hulk/Perez.

It's a win-win-win scenario! No wonder Vijay is spinning the press!

Why would Williams trade Valtteri for Button? Just one valid reason, please.

Valtteri doesnt have to beat Hulk or Perez. He´s in F1 for bigger things. The day he has the car he delivers that. And for Frank I really do hope its in the Williams.

#16 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,802 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:08

Ricciardo for me.

#17 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 95 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:25

I think Ricciardo has been the most impressive this season.

You can see Bottas' inexperience affecting the results in the beginning of the season. As the season progressed, he improved.

Ricciardo is on his 4th season with a team that pulls off better strategies than Williams. I wonder how it will look like for Bottas when he's driving his 4th season.

It's RIC, BOT, ALO for me.

#18 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 13:35

Bottas has been very impressive *recently*, but Ricciardo has been impressive all year long. I'll give the nod to Ricciardo here.

And if we're not talking about biggest surprises, then I think Alonso should be considered as well, having driven pretty much faultlessly all season long, trouncing his highly rated teammate.

EDIT: I see kaisellgren is saying something similar.

Edited by Seanspeed, 14 August 2014 - 13:37.

#19 Ricciardo2014

Ricciardo2014

• 237 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 15:55

The two standout drivers for me this season are the ones being mentioned the most in this thread.

Ricciardo and Bottas.

In a way it's hard to separate who has done better.

Daniel has without doubt proven that the investment made by Red Bull was warranted, and that the YDP they have is very effective.

After all, he's out performing a guy with a pretty decent F1 CV !

His early pre F1 years are impressive as well, when you consider some of the Championships he contested he didn't take part in the full season.

Valtteri is pretty new to me as far as looking back through his career.

I've actually only taken a real interest this year.

I'd say his pre F1 results are even more impressive than Daniel's, and he's certainly showing that he can mix it up and compete with the big boys now he is in F1.

My opinion is that the Red Bull is still slightly faster as an all round package than the Williams so far in 2014, so it's hard to judge who is doing the better job.

Both have pulled off some awesome results and driven great races to get into positions they probably shouldn't have, but that's F1.

My only way of coming to a conclusion this far into the season is to compare each driver against their Team Mate.

So far it reads like this, ( as you all most likely know   ;) )

Ricciardo 131

Vettel 88

Vettel has 67% of Ricciardo's points.

Bottas 95

Massa 40

Massa has 42% of Bottas' points.

I know there are many flaws in this simple summation, but at the end of the year this is how it will be judged.

As much as it pains me to admit it, because Dan is having an epic season and I want him to be the best of the best this year..............

I reckon Bottas is actually doing a better job 

Advertisement

#20 bub

bub

• 2,345 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 16:38

Ricciardo is the star of the season so far for me. Bottas is not far behind though.

#21 Ducks

Ducks

• 209 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 21:28

Its a what if, but would Bottas have won in the Redbull/would Ricciardo win in the Williams?

#22 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,562 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 22:28

Why would a team owner praise drivers from other teams? It's his agenda which I'm interested in. Even if it's true that Bottas is performing better than Hulk or Checo, it's not necessary for him to say it. Does this really help to motivate his drivers?

Is he claiming that the Force India is a better car than it looks, and that the drivers are underperforming? Does he think that this will help him get sponsorship, as in "this is a great team, and it only we'd lucked into finding the best driver..."

Very puzzling.

#23 DoctorHouse

DoctorHouse

• 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 22:29

Bottas is as good as Massa. Both are good drivers. Massa is a bit old now, but in 2006 his pace was similar to Schumacher. 
I think Ricciardo is a champion material.

#24 slideways

slideways

• 3,268 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 23:12

Bottas seems to have continuing potential and has become strong in all areas. I reserve judgement somewhat due to questions over the car (what would Alonso have done with it) and until I see more race craft from him up the front with the top guys.

We just had a poll in which Ricciardo leads so we know where the forum stands on him.

#25 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 460 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:37

Ricci is a better choice, IMO. The Williams car is just that good. Ricci got 2 wins over Vettel, a 4 time champion in the same car.

#26 Briz

Briz

• 342 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:54

Bottas has been as solid as you can be, but Ricciardo has been spectacular AND solid

#27 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:08

Both Valtteri und Daniel have clearly stood out. It is refreshing to experience those two, their freshness and at the same time, they are both unflustered like usually only drivers who have been in F1 for years.

Would be great if Valtteri still wins his first GP this year - Spa and Monza are definite chances!

#28 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:13

Its a what if, but would Bottas have won in the Redbull/would Ricciardo win in the Williams?

That's the point, comparing them is apples and pears. After all, Daniel drives a Red Bull, which is, even in 2014 and WCC car in the last four year - not a bad car and team at all. Valtteri drives a Williams, which scored exactly how many points last year?

Bottas is quite brilliant even compared to Ricciardo and it will be interesting to see when these two are directly fighting it out against each other. That said, Valtteri is for sure the more quiet driver, Daniel the more sparkling driver.

#29 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,562 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:05

That's the point, comparing them is apples and pears. After all, Daniel drives a Red Bull, which is, even in 2014 and WCC car in the last four year - not a bad car and team at all. Valtteri drives a Williams, which scored exactly how many points last year?

Bottas is quite brilliant even compared to Ricciardo and it will be interesting to see when these two are directly fighting it out against each other. That said, Valtteri is for sure the more quiet driver, Daniel the more sparkling driver.

What's the relevance? This year's Williams is good enough for Massa to get his first pole since (was it 2008?). Bottas is not even clearly faster than Massa, although his head seems to be much more reliable.

#30 Looper

Looper

• 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:06

Not been much better than Massa apart from avoiding accidents. Classic case of getting carried away.

#31 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:00

Not been much better than Massa apart from avoiding accidents. Classic case of getting carried away.

Still underestimating Bottas' potential? I was at Hockenheim, watching his performance - precise, fast, metronomic lapping - unflustered by an attacking Hamilton. Exuding a calmness from the cockpit as if he had never done anything else.

Watch this space - Valtteri will still go on to reach new heights!

#32 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,562 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:56

If you'd told me before the start of the season that Bottas would be slightly quicker than Massa, and would be involved in less incidents, I'd have said that was to be expected.

If you'd told me that, based on those results, he'd be hailed as the star of the season, I'd have said you were bonkers.

It's the car which has made the difference. If Bottas were fighting in the midfield, no-one would have noticed him.

#33 Looper

Looper

• 42 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:03

Still underestimating Bottas' potential? I was at Hockenheim, watching his performance - precise, fast, metronomic lapping - unflustered by an attacking Hamilton. Exuding a calmness from the cockpit as if he had never done anything else.

I never get carried away with judging drivers. From what I have see he has only been slightly faster if that than Massa, is this correct?

#34 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 13:26

I never get carried away with judging drivers. From what I have see he has only been slightly faster if that than Massa, is this correct?

It never is that easy to compare teammate x vs teammate y vs teammate z. Just getting out of being official #2 in Ferrari, Massa have get more cofidence and speed.

But nevermind, what do I know, Imagine what Alonso would do with this years Williams... or Redbull...or Force India...or Mclaren... or in any car other than Ferrari. :rolleyes:

#35 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 16:33

From what I have see he has only been slightly faster if that than Massa, is this correct?

I think there has been a trend throughout the entire season. As BOT has gained more experience MAS has gotten slower in comparison. So, if you were to look at the first three races, I'd say they were more or less equal in pace, but if you look at the recent race weekends, MAS has been in a hurry.

#36 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,409 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 17:21

Take this with a grain of salt but I always thought even in the early races that Massa was slower in those early races, it just wasn't as clear and you had to squint your eyes to see it, on live timing etc.  For example, in Sepang, Massa should have been miles up the road and it was only the fact that he wasn't, that causes the whole 'team orders' problems.  To me the biggest thing that changed was that Bottas started qualifying better, being more consistant and delivering his and the cars potential, where as Massa hasn't.

#37 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 17:56

Straight swap with Button on the cards:

http://www.gptoday.c..._in_the_future/

Meaning, if they cannot get Alonso or Vettel, Bottas is the third best option - in Ron Dennis' thinking Bottas is possibly better than Button....

#38 Wes350

Wes350

• 71 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 18:31

I like how people say that the Williams car is just flattering Bottas; And He did not exactly set the world on fire his first year in formula one...

The red bull is also flattering Ricciardo. And he also did nothing to set the world on fire his first three years in formula one...

Bottas is from a team with half the money of RB, and coming off a terrible 2013 race year.

Ricciardo, well, he is with Red Bull. 2013 turned out pretty ok for them.

Both are having a great breakout year.

A year with an entirely new formula.

An Apples to Oranges comparison in many respects...

Edited by Wes350, 16 August 2014 - 21:48.

#39 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 20:53

Meaning, if they cannot get Alonso or Vettel, Bottas is the third best option - in Ron Dennis' thinking Bottas is possibly better than Button....

Am I the only one who thinks Williams will be the better team next year?

Advertisement

#40 travbrad

travbrad

• 635 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 21:47

Bottas has a 0x WDC as a teammate compared to Ricciardo with a 4x WDC teammate though.  Beating Vettel is more impressive than beating Massa IMO.  At some tracks Williams has been as fast as RBR this year too, plus they have great straight line speed to overtake unlike the Red Bulls who have great corner speed but terrible straight line speed.  I'll be surprised if Williams isn't extremely competitive (with everyone except Mercedes) at Spa and Monza.

Bottas has been great this year too though.  Watching the two teammates drive you would think Massa is the young inexperienced driver.

#41 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:27

BOTTAS star of the season...? I like him ; ) but he is beating (old and lame) MAS nothing more,

against MAL it was not that clear.... especially in the 2013 races... (USA was an exception there he was great).... I don't think he is the "new big thing",

for me RIC is the star of the season! Maybe he is really better than VET. (what VET can do we will see next year with better developed Renault PU and less techical probelms...)

#42 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:30

MAL was unflusterd by ALO and took the victory 2012 BCN race...

#43 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 937 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:31

yes.

#44 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,048 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 22:42

BOTTAS star of the season...? I like him ; ) but he is beating (old and lame) MAS nothing more,

against MAL it was not that clear.... especially in the 2013 races... (USA was an exception there he was great).... I don't think he is the "new big thing",

for me RIC is the star of the season! Maybe he is really better than VET. (what VET can do we will see next year with better developed Renault PU and less techical probelms...)

Would be interesting to see Maldonado against Massa in the same team, but I think reg pure speed MAL is better and reg crashing they are probably on the same level now.

What is always meaningful to look at is the career trajectory. While Massa's and Maldonado's is going down, Bottas' is going up.

Let's hope they are, but I would not bet against McLaren-Honda. Reg career trajectory of Button, see above.

#45 turssi

turssi

• 1,251 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:19

Why would Williams trade Valtteri for Button? Just one valid reason, please.

Valtteri doesnt have to beat Hulk or Perez. He´s in F1 for bigger things. The day he has the car he delivers that. And for Frank I really do hope its in the Williams.

Since you asked, I put my criative imagination to work: Williams has been in the business of building up young pilots and selling them for profit, so that's a reason for trading Bottas. Nasr is next in line I guess, but he could replace Massa or wait one more year as a third pilot. Now tô Button who wants a guaranteed fast engine for his last years, has WDC status that Williams can use and might even bring money with him in form of sponsors. Satisfied?

#46 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:58

I still think that honda would have wanted Ric, if he was available, over Bottas.

Edited by lbennie, 17 August 2014 - 04:10.

#47 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 3,510 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:56

I still think that honda would have wanted Ric, if he was available, over Bottas.

Agreed

Possibly

I have only really starting buying into the Bottas hype the past few race weekends. I still think he has quite a bit too prove before he can be considered a top driver.

Button has been quietly strong the past 2 years. So it is questionable if Bottas would be an improvement for McLaren. That said, Bottas is much younger, and could be a fantastic long term investment if he pans out in the way most think he will.

#48 kaisellgren

kaisellgren

• 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:01

How would you compare Bottas with Kimi? They both had/have Massa as their team mate.

#49 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,935 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:13

How would you compare Bottas with Kimi? They both had/have Massa as their team mate.

Different year, different regulations,different part of their careers, but Bottas is doing well, he is currently beating Massa on the same way Alonso did.

#50 v@sh

v@sh

• 730 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:15

I like how people say that the Williams car is just flattering Bottas; And He did not exactly set the world on fire his first year in formula one...

The red bull is also flattering Ricciardo. And he also did nothing to set the world on fire his first three years in formula one...

Bottas is from a team with half the money of RB, and coming off a terrible 2013 race year.

Ricciardo, well, he is with Red Bull. 2013 turned out pretty ok for them.

Both are having a great breakout year.

A year with an entirely new formula.

An Apples to Oranges comparison in many respects...

Ricciardo was good before he moved to RB and was acknowledged by drivers like Lewis before he got the move to the senior team but most people don't follow the midfield battles as much and just look at the results. Karun Chandok said he told Ted Kravitz as early as 2011 that he thought Ricciardo was going to be a WDC.

Qualified 6th in Bahrain in a lousy TR, impressed Button with his Q3 in China (reaction to Ricciardo making the top 10 in the shitty TR 'Wow, Ricciardo'), Lewis mentioned Ricciardo was the one that impressed him the most in his July Q&A last year. Smashed JEV in qualifying. Finished 2 seconds behind the Ferrari of Massa in a TR in China. Holding off Schumacher in a much faster Mercedes in Japan and doing that again vs Alonso in India. Just some examples.

The only thing that is different is that Ricciardo now has a competitive car underneath him to show the underlying speed that was always there and a decent team that are great strategists unlike TR who made some poor decisions.

You say that the Williams car is just flattering Bottas but Williams should have been second in the WCC from the start of the season. The drivers and the team themselves have botched their chances throughout the season:

- Bottas hitting the wall in Australia when it clearly had the pace to finish on the podium

- Williams not running during free practice and going by their data from Bahrain pre season testing which turned out to be wrong as track conditions were quite different and therefore tire degradation suffered in the race

- Williams actually getting pole in Austria 7 tenths ahead of the RB, half a second in Germany and about the same in Silverstone (an RB track), this is where Bottas has got the majority of his podiums and that is a massive speed differential to RB for them not to get on the podium

- Massa hitting Perez when he had the pace + fresher tires to win in Canada, Williams definitely had the pace there too

Sorry but the whole Williams wasn't great in 2013 and RB was is a lame excuse. Whole different set of regulations, if anything, RB continuing to improve their 2013 was a detriment to the 2014 development. You could see in pre-season Williams was right up there with the Merc hence why I said they should be second in the WCC. Their car is good. Having one bad year doesn't necessarily mean that will follow on the next year.

Ricciardo is being flattered by the RB? Seriously? the guy has won two races against the most dominant car since the 90s while racing against a 4xWDC. Most fans have failed to see his talent just because he was in a TR. Massa was flattered by his manager being Nicholas Todt, should have never made it to Ferrari in the first place, guy spun himself 5 times at a wet Silverstone when at Sauber while everyone else managed to keep it together.

No doubt Bottas is having solid season and his qualifying lap in Canada last year was brilliant but I'll wait till the end of the season before I consider Bottas being so highly ranked.

Edited by v@sh, 17 August 2014 - 10:16.