* * * * * 2 votes

Max Verstappen to replace Vergne at Toro Rosso for 2015

• Please log in to reply
878 replies to this topic

#851 JeePee

JeePee

• 595 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 22:01

Sporting comment from Vergne: "Verstappen delivered a good job this morning."  :up:

Advertisement

#852 AndriesvanOverbeeke

AndriesvanOverbeeke

• 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 16:26

A few days before Suzuka I met Max Verstappen and presented him with a portrait I made. And then I got to race him in a kart heat. It was awesome!

72c2a369349887269ddba7caf96339bb.jpg

df12fcb86bf10cee5560330046d2f256.jpg

b2d3a3e9d75216396c9f9754b855b86e.jpg

4956cbfae6990c757f05107db71524c9.jpg

#853 AndriesvanOverbeeke

AndriesvanOverbeeke

• 17 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 21:13

Btw I also made time lapse video of the making of. Let me know what you think :)

#854 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,660 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:55

4956cbfae6990c757f05107db71524c9.jpg

Hmm, saying you 'raced' him might be a bit generous. lol

Very cool, though.

#855 AndriesvanOverbeeke

AndriesvanOverbeeke

• 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:37

Well, let's just say I didn't get lapped and I almost hit 107 %  :clap:

#856 micktosin

micktosin

• 504 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 16:48

I know you can't read too much into practice, but being a second behind Kvyat should humble him at least, rather than underestimating the challenge of driving an F1 car.    

#857 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,441 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:36

I know you can't read too much into practice, but being a second behind Kvyat should humble him at least, rather than underestimating the challenge of driving an F1 car.    

I agree... a bit. But Bruno Senna said something interesting on Sky about the tyres. Friday drivers basically get two shots at setting a real good time (at the start of the stint becaus the tyres are new, at the end because they can drive with little fuel), because they often only get one set of tyres for the entire practice. I understand that Verstappen drove 32 laps, I don't know how much in succession, but my guess is a lot.

That does not say I am full of confidence. There is still a nagging doubt in the back of my mind, with the words: 'Soon.Too. Young. Too.'

Edited by Nemo1965, 31 October 2014 - 18:38.

#858 tempname11

tempname11

• 35 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:53

I was watching the practice to see how Max would be doing, and was a bit disappointed. Don't know anything about the fuel loads or any other details, but I don't think it's useful to blame the performance on the car. Worst case, even if the one-second gap is purely accountable by pace, he can compare the telemetry and learn from this day. And next time he'll be prepared better.

After this session I adjusted my expectations a lot. After seeing him set the track on fire in Imola (F3), and the encouraging first outing in Suzuka, it's kind of natural to expect a lot all the time. But the realistic expectation is for him to make mistakes, be inconsistent at first, etc.

Still, he's going to be my favourite driver in 2015.  :up:

#859 Lipp

Lipp

• 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:58

He did fine being at 9 tenths of a second, from what I saw he did have some scary breakouts at the back of his car a few times bun none offs so solid performance there. After that he did not push anymore and drove as much laps as he could. 

as for Kviat he did very well indeed at 4th place, shows he deserves the drive in the Red Bull next to Ricciardo.

Advertisement

#860 A3

A3

• 20,695 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 19:04

After this session I adjusted my expectations a lot. 

Why? When it was announced he would do a couple of FP1s, Max was the first to say he was only driving to gain experience, not to go for a fastest lap.

#861 tempname11

tempname11

• 35 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 19:20

Why? When it was announced he would do a couple of FP1s, Max was the first to say he was only driving to gain experience, not to go for a fastest lap.

Because I had unrealistically high expectations  :)

#862 icecream

icecream

• 450 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 23:54

Perhaps should change threat title to "Verstappen to replace Kvyat" as it seems Vergne is still in with a change

http://www.formula1....4/10/16547.html

Personally I think it'd be a good idea to hold onto Vergne. He'd provide the best yardstick for Verstappen, but also he's driven well and (arguably) deserves another run (some would even say in the Red Bull). Seems Tost would like to retain him, but clearly Marko would rather slot in his latest flavour of the month. 

#863 Lipp

Lipp

• 408 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 14:28

Verstappen is catching up nicely... only one tenth of a second slower than Kvyat, and handling the problems he experiënced very well indeed. Allmost spinning in the fast corner but managing to keep the car in a slide that was a great recovery.

#864 A3

A3

• 20,695 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 15:26

Awsome save!

Edited by A3, 07 November 2014 - 15:34.

#865 ANF

ANF

• 888 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 18:04

The kerb did good! :p

#866 lars75

lars75

• 187 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 22:13

I was watching the practice to see how Max would be doing, and was a bit disappointed. Don't know anything about the fuel loads or any other details, but I don't think it's useful to blame the performance on the car. Worst case, even if the one-second gap is purely accountable by pace, he can compare the telemetry and learn from this day. And next time he'll be prepared better.

After this session I adjusted my expectations a lot. After seeing him set the track on fire in Imola (F3), and the encouraging first outing in Suzuka, it's kind of natural to expect a lot all the time. But the realistic expectation is for him to make mistakes, be inconsistent at first, etc.

Still, he's going to be my favourite driver in 2015.  :up:

Well did you enjoy the show today? Max between the Merc boys halfway down FP1, sliding through corners like he is doing a scene from Fast and the Furious ending in sixt just 1 tenth behind Kvyat.

#867 zanquis

zanquis

• 308 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:28

Well if ever Max would get bored with F1 he probably can go to the D-1 drift series without much of a problem, that save was good drifting.

Actually hoping he would go on TopGear to set a laptime in the reasonably prized car.

#868 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,441 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:54

Well if ever Max would get bored with F1 he probably can go to the D-1 drift series without much of a problem, that save was good drifting.

Actually hoping he would go on TopGear to set a laptime in the reasonably prized car.

That is actually a very good idea. Just imagine what Jeremy Clarkson would say to Max. 'Listen... do you even know when you are driving in a F1 car or playing at home at the Playstation?' Or: 'F1 is not hard, is it? It is child's play.'

#869 tempname11

tempname11

• 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 17:10

I’m not really focused on other people’s lap times. There are at least three different engine mappings on the steering wheel and I used the one with the least amount of power, whereas Daniil used the one with the most. This means I missed out on three to four tenths of second on the main straight.

(from http://verstappen.nl...id=1951&lang=en)

Impressive if true  :eek:

Edited by tempname11, 08 November 2014 - 17:10.

#870 zanquis

zanquis

• 308 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 18:27

I think Clarkson will just be to amazed when Max does his thing, and maybe have a serious shot at the fastest laps.

I think it might be the first time he would be speechless, because all the jokes aside Max has basically shut up every critic so far with his performance, he does his thing on the track. And no he does not prove that F1 is too easy now, There is no other driver like Max around, and if he can keep his act good then he will be big. 

And if it is true that Max drove with the lightest engine mapping vs the heaviest for DK, then his performance is really more amazing. Cause it not just on the main straight but on every bit of straight a little.

#871 tempname11

tempname11

• 35 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 18:39

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems he had a lighter fuel load. If 3-4 tenths were lost on the main straight alone, we might be talking about a full second over a lap. And as seducing as the thought might be, he's not a full second faster than Kvyat.  :) So the direct comparison of the times is not so useful.

Was he on mediums only or had softs as well?

#872 micktosin

micktosin

• 504 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 21:31

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it seems he had a lighter fuel load. If 3-4 tenths were lost on the main straight alone, we might be talking about a full second over a lap. And as seducing as the thought might be, he's not a full second faster than Kvyat.  :) So the direct comparison of the times is not so useful.

Was he on mediums only or had softs as well?

Exactly!! A bit of exaggeration on that one. If indeed, he is that much faster than Kvyat then I expect him to wipe the floor on everyone on the grid. 

#873 lars75

lars75

• 187 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:22

Exactly!! A bit of exaggeration on that one. If indeed, he is that much faster than Kvyat then I expect him to wipe the floor on everyone on the grid. 

;)

#874 Lipp

Lipp

• 408 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:22

We'll have to wait and see how good Verstappen really is. Personally, I think the statement regarding the engine mappings is one he should not have made. 

As for coming week we have te F3 classic at Macau. Hope he does well there, and winning would be awsome.

#875 sniper80

sniper80

• 547 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:41

The Verstappen family has always been good in bold statements, something Jos has always done in & beyond his F1 career, uptalking everything.

I remember the inteviews during the time he signed for Tyrrell. It was almost like joining the best team on the grid like in Jackie Stewart's days, instead of signing one of the last available seats for a backmarker team in the final days of its existence.

Max seems to be a different story. Let's wait & see how good he really is over the course of a Grand Prix weekend.

Driving fast over a couple of laps is one thing, managing F1 as it is today over a full race length is something else.

Indeed, the statement regarding Kvyat's engine mapping was not necessary. Seems he learned a bit too much from his father ;)

#876 tempname11

tempname11

• 35 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 15:57

Well, maybe Max didn't mean to compare himself with Kvyat. Maybe all he meant was "I could've gone even quicker with a different engine mapping". It's very difficult to interpret these text quotes exactly.

But of course, maybe this is him showing slight arrogance. The attitude and psychology development will be interesting to watch in the upcoming season  :)

#877 SmallHorsey

SmallHorsey

• 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:14

I am genuinely excited by this guy. If I'd known about him six months ago I would have put a sizeable bet on him winning the WDC within the next five years or so. From all I've seen so far the kid will make a top level F1 driver. My lowest expectation is that he will merely be a decent F1 driver. Time has a habit of making fools of us all, but plenty doubted Marquez would have the impact he's had in MotoGP, yet he seems to be going alright.

#878 zanquis

zanquis

• 308 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:26

My idea is that Max is simply trying to indicate he was not yet pushing to do the fastest possible laps, just testing the limits in corners then really trying to do quickest laps.

#879 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:38

off to Macau GP on the weekend - will get to see what all the fuss is about ;)