- - - - -

Social Media and F1

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:06

After Bernie's bizarre dismissal of social media, calling it a fad, ( I think you'll find it's around a lot longer than F1 mate). Vijay Mallya weighs in with some sense.

https://uk.eurosport...246175--f1.html

Personally I think they'll make a lot more progress with this sort of approach than any amount of double-points/megaphones-on-the-exhaust silliness.

In fact the whole way the sport is presented needs to be reassessed and modernised, including the dull-as-dishwater camera angles they use.

Instead of taking stuff down from youtube, they should be sticking stuff up.

Advertisement

#2 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:52

Go and google nba tv

Subscription to watch live over the net, without ads.

Embrace twitter, instagram, fb, etc.

Its a joke that in 2014 one of the richest and best sports in the world doesn't have this stuff.

#3 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:12

This is why I remain convinced that the next leader of FOM will be Sir Martin Sorrel or someone like that from the M&AD industry and not a "racing man" like Christian Horner.

The role of the F1 supremo over the next few decades is about building the platform and monetising F1 through new media. 

Bernie has done all he can with F1 now. He simply doesn't understand the future.

#4 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:19

Instead of taking stuff down from youtube, they should be sticking stuff up.

Hasn't the football association in the UK just said that it  believes all those youtube/vine clips of goals are killing their revenue model and are looking to clamp down on it?

On one hand I can see the concern because you can't monetise it if it is goven away forr free by someone else.  On the other, F1 doesn't make these clips available at all.  Bernie really could do with a social media representative who would trawl this and other similar websites to see what people are talking about and make sure the video is available for the contentious issues, properly engaging with fans.  The broadcast version will be free, and alternate angles for a micropayment, perhaps.

#5 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,115 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:45

Formula 1 is downright medieval when it comes to keeping in touch with the real world. It's ironic how the 'pinnacle' of motorsports is so far behind its demographic and struggling so hard to find new fans. It needs a violent purge. From the top to the bottom.

#6 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:49

I think the moto GP are approaching it very well.They have a you tube channel that features crashes,highlights and the start of the race.Also the twitter handle is fantastic,connecting with the riders and bringing news.In other words it fells more "human" than the F1 one.

As the poster above has said,it is about engaging viewers and fans to make them feel like a part of the sport.Eg the Mercedes and the lotus twitter handles are class,live tweeting during races and interacting with other race teams (or in the case of lotus trolling).

F1 vcan do so so much better,but as we know,if it is not going to Bernies pocket,then it has no business in F1!

#7 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:07

Screw social media! It should be banned all together.

Do we really need athlets and audience to keep playing with their smart devices all the time?

This insanity makes me miss 90's.

Edited by Buttoneer, 20 August 2014 - 12:09.

#8 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:10

Isn't this social media? :(

#9 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:17

Screw social media! It should be banned all together.

Do we really need athlets and audience to keep playing with their smart devices all the time?

1bgu.jpg

#10 F1matt

F1matt

• 3,221 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:33

The sport is losing viewers so it must be down to a lack of social media presence. Er no there are a thousand things wrong with the sport that won't be improved by introducing an official twitter, YouTube, or Instagram account.

#11 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:17

Isn't this social media? :(

This is a meeting place for fans, not a way of engaging new ones.

#12 GoGro

GoGro

• 136 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:31

If they don't want to kill their revenue models based on TV fees, they should do as in the French football league: We have the games from Friday to Sunday that are broadcasted live on TV, with shows and everything.

But on Monday, we have the highlights and goals of every game available on youtube for free, in videos of ~4 mins.

F1 sould do the same: Race on sunday, and then on Tuesday they can release an 7-8 mins video with the highlights of the race, plus some 1 min videos to come back on impressive overtakings or impressing moves. And they could add 2/3 interviews of drivers or key people for every race week-end. It would not cost much and that would be a good start.

Edited by GoGro, 20 August 2014 - 11:39.

#13 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,143 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:57

To be honest, everyone is getting a bit confused. 

Toto, Bernie, VJ et all don't mean "social media" singularly in the twitter/fbook sense, they mean "all new media channels (some not so new now)" holistically, from social platforms to online-tv, and everything that hasn't been invented yet.

Basically the issue is that it is less and less sustainable to grow the income F1 needs by selling the series to a few TV companies and circuit owners. Less people want the out-dated model of a pay a TV subscription for fixed content and schedules and even less people want to pay a fortune to see a race live in a country that has never heard of F1 before.

So some new media channels need to be used to grow engagement and interest in F1 (grow the fan base) whilst others need to be used to GIVE them that content in a 21st century manner.... As Toto says, some of this is difficult to monetise (at the moment) but equally, its worth giving someone a free sheet of paper if they'll then buy the pencil...

This isn't just about creating an F1 income for the teams, but the sponsors too, who want to sell their stuff to F1 fans.

The digital world isn't going to un-invent itself and more and more kids growing up think the digital world is the norm (which it is). If Bernie thinks this is a "fad" he's ready for pasture. 

#14 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:58

Screw social media! It should be banned all together.

I agree with you 100%

I'm sick of hearing about twitter and faecesbook, every little twitter sent is analysed and argued about by people on here over and over. 

Social media can burn in hell for me, I loathe it and what it turns people into.  like my mate who can't even eat his breakfast without taking a picture of it and putting it on his fb.  totally ridiculous. :mad:

#15 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:02

Maybe some of you would prefer to read about the Grands Prix on your Thursday issue of Autosport?

F1 needs to embrace new media. Can you imagine if Bernie was as backward thinking as he is now back in the 1980s, and F1 had never got onto live TV every other weekend?

#16 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:09

Some people don't take well to the world moving on. Bernie is such a dinosaur.

I don't like Facebook much myself (it's too exclusionary IMO) but I do like Twitter. I think the directness of Twitter, the way a driver or team can communicate directly to the fans, is a very good thing. We get a deeper insight into who they are and sometimes what their F1 career is like, if they let us in. Drivers like Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hulkenberg and Mark Webber have been quite open with their fans. Not everyone likes or needs this, but it's hard to make the argument for it being a bad thing for the sport.

Twitter also connects F1 fans themselves. I've had plenty of nice post race debates on their with other fans.

And let's face it this forum is arguably part of "social media" as well. It enables us to engage with a bunch of like minded individuals on something we have a passion for, just as Twitter does. These are all good things for a sport IMO.

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:12

Just a reminder that this is a family programme and that people should avoid using expletives.  Even ones which the forum software redacts are not acceptable if you then go on to explain exactly what the starred words mean.

#18 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:13

Maybe some of you would prefer to read about the Grands Prix on your Thursday issue of Autosport?

F1 needs to embrace new media. Can you imagine if Bernie was as backward thinking as he is now back in the 1980s, and F1 had never got onto live TV every other weekend?

I agree Bernie should look at putting F1 online and allowing us to stream it (for a reasonable price!)

Imagine also if we had access to all the F1 races from the 60's onwards, I'm sure he would make a bomb selling them all to people like me.

F1 online would be a good move, I'm not against that, I am just against the drivers and others using such vile and repugnant things like twitter and faecesbook.

#19 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:43

I feel like the business model is

1. Get on social media

2. ???

3. Profit

There's a good argument for freeing up the broadcast stuff on the internet, though that will be a bit messy given F1's TV contracts. Though other sports manage it. But the actual social media bit? Eh, who cares. It's not like F1 is underrepresented online. The teams, drivers, and sponsors are active. If there was an official F1 account what would it actually add?

"Marketing". Well yeah. But I don't think social media is actually very good for that. I think it suits small businesses/individuals, and is a great replacement for the traditional mailing list but big brands do big marketing.

Advertisement

#20 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 35,982 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:08

Being or not being on 'Social Media' and I struggle with figuring out what that really consist of, is not why spectators are staying away and viewers view something else. The TV market have expanded to an extent where no one is forced to see 1 of 3 channels, we all have hundreds available. The causal viewers who used to sit through it since 'it was on' now watch knitting, cooking, sliding, sailing, skating, running, sleeping or whatever floats their particular boat more.

Spectators are staying way, because the sport have priced itself away from what a regular family can afford. The only problems I have with F1 and online presence is that I can not watch old races on youtube. Tweets, Facebook, Instagram and whatever else is out there will bring about zero new fans to the sport.

:cool:

#21 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 453 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:20

social media
noun
  1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Internet feeds and new ways to watch F1 would be great...but that's not social media, that's 'new media'. Social media is very much Twitter and Facebook, places full of people who think far too much of themselves and their opinions.

Stronger social media presence could potentially benefit F1, somewhat. But it's far, far down the list of what needs to be improved. The teams and drivers mostly, if not totally participate in social media. That's what we want to know about - the teams and the drivers, and it already exists.

Edited by Sennasational, 20 August 2014 - 13:28.

#22 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:30

Being or not being on 'Social Media' and I struggle with figuring out what that really consist of, is not why spectators are staying away and viewers view something else. The TV market have expanded to an extent where no one is forced to see 1 of 3 channels, we all have hundreds available. The causal viewers who used to sit through it since 'it was on' now watch knitting, cooking, sliding, sailing, skating, running, sleeping or whatever floats their particular boat more.

Spectators are staying way, because the sport have priced itself away from what a regular family can afford. The only problems I have with F1 and online presence is that I can not watch old races on youtube. Tweets, Facebook, Instagram and whatever else is out there will bring about zero new fans to the sport.

:cool:

You're ignoring the biggest aspect of social media. The ability to share content and tag friends. Something new can reach a lot of people very quickly.

#23 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 453 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:43

You're ignoring the biggest aspect of social media. The ability to share content and tag friends. Something new can reach a lot of people very quickly.

Well...it can and it can't. You know who I talk to Formula 1 about? The friends I have who enjoy Formula 1, and strangers on internet forums who also enjoy the sport. I'm not going to share Formula 1 stuff with people I know who aren't interested in Formula 1 as it very rarely leads to an interesting or enjoyable discussion for either party. So I agree, social media is the perfect platform to share information very quickly...to likeminded people with similar interests. It's not really going to bring any new fans to the sport. Or rather, I don't see it happening.

As I previously mentioned, all of the F1 teams and drivers (as far as I'm aware) use social media. They provide all the information and interaction we're actually interested in, surely. We want to know about the teams and drivers, and interact with them somewhat. What could a stronger 'official' F1 social media presence actually offer fans and potential fans?

#24 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:20

social media
noun
  1. websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.

Internet feeds and new ways to watch F1 would be great...but that's not social media, that's 'new media'. Social media is very much Twitter and Facebook, places full of people who think far too much of themselves and their opinions.

Stronger social media presence could potentially benefit F1, somewhat. But it's far, far down the list of what needs to be improved. The teams and drivers mostly, if not totally participate in social media. That's what we want to know about - the teams and the drivers, and it already exists.

The line between the 2 is blurring fast and will soon be gone as as apps and sites get ever more interconnected. Just look at the direction Google is going.

Nearly every site has a facebook page where people interact, that integration will only accelerate. In the future you will be watching with the whole community, or as much of it as you want, at home. Choosing your favourite camera angles, editing your own coverage and sharing that with your friends. Some people will be good at it and very soon we will be discussing who is the best F1 VJ.

TV as we know it will be dead in 10-20 years max, Bernies model will be pushing up the daisies soon whether he likes it or not. 

#25 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:20

Well...it can and it can't. You know who I talk to Formula 1 about? The friends I have who enjoy Formula 1, and strangers on internet forums who also enjoy the sport. I'm not going to share Formula 1 stuff with people I know who aren't interested in Formula 1 as it very rarely leads to an interesting or enjoyable discussion for either party. So I agree, social media is the perfect platform to share information very quickly...to likeminded people with similar interests. It's not really going to bring any new fans to the sport. Or rather, I don't see it happening.

As I previously mentioned, all of the F1 teams and drivers (as far as I'm aware) use social media. They provide all the information and interaction we're actually interested in, surely. We want to know about the teams and drivers, and interact with them somewhat. What could a stronger 'official' F1 social media presence actually offer fans and potential fans?

Buy not trawling the video sites and deleting fans videos. It would be better if they harvested them to show on a dedicated PPV channel.

I do realise that Royalties may come into play but I am sure that could be overcome.

#26 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,708 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:37

Hasn't the football association in the UK just said that it  believes all those youtube/vine clips of goals are killing their revenue model and are looking to clamp down on it?

On one hand I can see the concern because you can't monetise it if it is goven away forr free by someone else.  On the other, F1 doesn't make these clips available at all.  Bernie really could do with a social media representative who would trawl this and other similar websites to see what people are talking about and make sure the video is available for the contentious issues, properly engaging with fans.  The broadcast version will be free, and alternate angles for a micropayment, perhaps.

I think your 1st concern is to be popular, you can always monetise if you have the fanbase.

It can be dangerous to listen to your accountants too much.

#27 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:42

1 - online subscriptions to watch practice sessions, qualifying and the races live from any many 'devices'.

2 - re-instate that gadget fans used to have at the track to help follow the action

3 - only then worry about what likes and shares can actually do.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:51

Isn't 1. something your TV broadcaster can do? For instance doesn't Sky do some of that in the UK?

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,502 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:53

Plenty of drivers and personalities are on Twitter. It's more general exposure that's needed. All football pre season everywhere you look there's been Premier League this and that, it's crazy. F1 doesn't lend itself to being discovered, it's usually something a new fan may stumble into one day.

#30 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:59

What we need is a '16 amazing motor racing happenings' list on Buzzfeed with Mark Webber flying at Valencia as #1 to make F1 popular.

#31 MrMan

MrMan

• 190 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:59

Isn't 1. something your TV broadcaster can do? For instance doesn't Sky do some of that in the UK?

They do, but people (justifiably) complain about the cost of the Sky Sports package. If FOM were to offer it, I can't see it being much cheaper if at all cheaper.

#32 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:06

Bernie? :rotfl:

#33 RedRabbit

RedRabbit

• 3,179 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:08

This right here. F1 already has all the social media presence it needs. Thinking that an official Facebook account full of "Bernie says ..." BS is not going to convince people to watch the sport.

#34 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:10

I agree with you 100%

I'm sick of hearing about twitter and faecesbook, every little twitter sent is analysed and argued about by people on here over and over. 

Social media can burn in hell for me, I loathe it and what it turns people into.  like my mate who can't even eat his breakfast without taking a picture of it and putting it on his fb.  totally ridiculous. :mad:

Agree with you there.. it's totally narcissistic and what you expect from 15 year olds.  And grown adults act this way.

However.. this topic is more about F1 and social media and connecting better with the fanbase.  For example, there should be an official YT channel for F1 showing highlights, drivers interviews and other misc things.  It would especially help during breaks such as this to keep interest up.  Instead fans go on YT looking to get their "F1 fix" and are turned away, or have to watch unofficial channels, which ironically enough.. people like Bernie don't like.  Despite promoting their brand and generating interest and discussion.

The more likely someone is 'hooked' to F1, the more likely they are going to share links.. or talk about it with their friends, or co workers.  I remember showing people who have no interest in F1 Webber's Valencia flip, because it was a spectacle.. and it got people talking about F1.. who usually wouldn't even know what it is. (that link has probably been taken down now but yeah).  The more people talk about such things.. the word of mouth spreads.. more interest is generated.

edit - YT is pretty much the only one I like.. but twitter, FB and Google (plus) are all linked these days.  For example posting YT links on your FB page.  Or on your Google page.

Or maybe I'm just talking voodoo.

Edited by HoldenRT, 20 August 2014 - 15:13.

#35 jimbox01

jimbox01

• 141 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:11

Aren't the real problems the fact that no one has overall responsibility for promoting the sport, and the people who own the commercial rights have never invested any significant amounts of money back into the product they're benefiting from?

Everyone else involved in F1, teams, race promoters, TV companies, all do their bit to cater for their own particular audience (most of them do utilise social and new media), but there doesn't appear to be any strategic overview - and more importantly no significant investment.

How many $ Billion has Bernie/CVC made from the F1 over the years, and how much has been reinvested in promoting and developing the sport?

Apart from F1 in Schools (which doesn't cost Bernie/CVC anything), what else are they doing to engage with kids to get them interested in the technical and sporting side of F1?

Do they do anything to support or promote grassroots involvement in motorsports?

How much support to they give individual race promoters?

Where and how do they advertise/promote F1?

F1 is very much a business, and I can't think of any successful businesses that don't reinvest in their product and don't support the companies/people who sell their product - in F1's case TV companies and circuits/race promoters.

Unfortunately there's no way for Bernie to directly monetise fans, so as far as he's concerned they're about as important to him as Facebook - all he's looking at is how much he can screw from the next would be race promoter or Pay-TV company.

#36 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,269 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:23

Putting F1 behind paywalls makes potentially more short term money, but almost certainly erodes long term fan numbers.

Putting F1 clips of exciting or contentious moments on sites such as Youtube increases the chances of non fans stumbling across the sport and taking an interest.

Is it really so difficult to understand potential fans/ viewers need to be lured in, not shut out?

#37 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:24

What we need is a '16 amazing motor racing happenings' list on Buzzfeed with Mark Webber flying at Valencia as #1 to make F1 popular.

I'd expect the top 3 to be

3. The pace car running out of fuel at CART Detroit and causing a restart accident

2. The pace car being hit by the leader at WTCC Pau(I think it was the leader, either way an unlucky dude)

1. The pace car being stolen at a NASCAR race

Though 1. would more likely be the dog that ran a lap of the Indy 500 during the pre-race and resulting lols when people tried to stop it in the pitlane.

#38 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:24

If they don't want to kill their revenue models based on TV fees, they should do as in the French football league: We have the games from Friday to Sunday that are broadcasted live on TV, with shows and everything.

But on Monday, we have the highlights and goals of every game available on youtube for free, in videos of ~4 mins.

F1 sould do the same: Race on sunday, and then on Tuesday they can release an 7-8 mins video with the highlights of the race, plus some 1 min videos to come back on impressive overtakings or impressing moves. And they could add 2/3 interviews of drivers or key people for every race week-end. It would not cost much and that would be a good start.

They already do this, although not by Tuesday. 

http://www.formula1.com/video/

#39 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:31

Signed,

The guy with 10000 posts in a online forum.

Seriously, it doesn't matter whether you guys like or use social media, or the (admitedly legitimate) concerns over how it affects society, truth is it has become a major communication method for the younger generations and it doesn't seem like it's going away anytime soon.

You'd think the guy that used TV to get everyone on the planet interested in F1 in the 80s, because that was the main way people got their entertainment back then, would realize getting the next generations interested in F1 depends on getting a strong F1 presence in the environment they spend most of their time in.

No it's nowhere near as simple as having an official corporate account on Facebook ----> money. Hell, I hate corporate accounts myself. But they definitely need to figure a way of keeping people talking about F1 and getting F1 easily accessible and attractive to tune into, in the entertainment environments people spend time in these days. Otherwise they risk F1 becoming lost in the middle of the noise, and simply not something people regularly talk about, and therefore spark less interest about it to their relatives. I'm already seeing it here in Portugal, since it's become lost in pay TV land, and not easily accessible online, nobody gives a crap about F1 anymore. They can't turn back the clock to the 80s where TV was the only thing, and F1 the only exciting thing in TV, but they sure as hell should be doing more than what they're doing now. They can't just bank forever on the fact people talked about and got hooked into F1 30 years ago. Because those people aren't going to live forever and be forever the wealthier, biggest slice of the demographic.

Advertisement

#40 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:05

Signed,

The guy with 10000 posts in a online forum.

I'm sorry but my posts are since 1999. mostly rubbish though... :D

#41 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:16

That's a good point though. No one is calling for Formula 1 to officially interact with bulletin boards, or thinks there's any money in this game :lol:

#42 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:29

That's a good point though. No one is calling for Formula 1 to officially interact with bulletin boards, or thinks there's any money in this game :lol:

Which percentage of the world's population hangs out in bulletin boards? Now which percentage hangs out in Facebook?

#43 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,619 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:36

Which percentage of the world's population hangs out in bulletin boards? Now which percentage hangs out in Facebook?

Which sports have you taken a liking to just because they are on Facebook?

#44 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:41

Internet is a fad too, right Bernie?

:rolleyes:

#45 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:53

I read recently (via several sources, actually) that FOM does not have a marketing department which is rather wow. An active social media policy would probably fall under their purview. 

I agree that social media itself will only help so much. What amazes me is the lack of online broadcasting tools. I buy an NFL gamepass online every year, which I find terrific. It allows me to watch pre-season and regular season matches live or on-demand, and the playoffs on demand a day after they air live (on Sky here I think). Increasingly I think people want to watch things when they can squeeze them into their lives and binge watch at leisure. It would be nice if you've been away on holidays for a few weeks (or just too busy over a few weekends) to be able to sit back and catch up on the last couple of races on demand. This will reduce broadcasting $$$ some, yes, but it also opens up a new revenue stream and acknowledges the reality that fewer and fewer people are turning on their TVs and running their lives to other people's schedules. 

This is something I think Bernie needs to be integrating into his broadcasting rights deals. Instead of a 2 minute highlights clip on the F1 site they ought to sell access to watch all races back, even if leaving live coverage to television channels. They need to get more people interested in the F1 app too, I think it's brilliant and adds so much to my enjoyment of each race. 

#46 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 11,162 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:05

"Social media" covers a very broad range of technologies and media (which includes youtube, twitter, facebook, google+, reddit and loads more).

It's never just one thing.

As has been suggested by someone, F1 could start wtih a open Youtube (or Youtube-like) channel which shows race weekend highights and other nice F1 related features.

Use Twitter and Facebook to spread the word and tempt people to see the full content for a fee online as well. They should also offer old races.

It will take some investment, which is the problem. FOM/CVC have a very short-term view: maximizing shareholder income and neglecting to invest in the sport longer term.

It's now beginning to bite them as viewing habits are changing among youngsters (I'm not the youngest but compared to 20 years ago, my viewing habits have changed dramatically as well).

-Youtube stars are outshining Hollywood

-Broadband more important than cable in the US

There is a clear move towards online-on demand, alongside TV, and F1 is completely ignoring online.

Edited by Timstr11, 20 August 2014 - 17:10.

#47 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:07

Which sports have you taken a liking to just because they are on Facebook?

None, but if I was 14 and had forgotten about F1 because it's been behind a paywall since I was a small child, it might re-ignite my passing interest if a mate shared a vid of recent crashes and passes.

#48 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 43,951 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:11

Social meh-dia. Bernies money is tied to the exclusivity of his TV rights... Hence the draconian watch dogs of FOM taking any media down off that pesky internet. OMG LoL STFU OMG WAIT WUT NSFW Jp

#49 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:12

I don't really care about the social media stuff that much but it's silly that you can't legally pay to watch the races online in a lot of places.

#50 ANF

ANF

• 29,055 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 19:05

They already do this, although not by Tuesday. 

http://www.formula1.com/video/

Not like that. Like this: