Photo

Tyrrell 011 general arrangement drawing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tim C 27

Tim C 27

• 74 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 13:53

I don't know if this warrants it's own thread or not, but I found this at my Dad's house amongst all the other things I've still not taken away… I'm not sure if it's one for the Technical Forum, The Memorabilia Forum or Nostalgia - I've gone with the latter. 

When I was about 14-15 I wrote to Tyrrell asking if they had a drawing of the 1983 011 (non ground effect) as I wanted to somehow make a Scalextric chassis and body to replicate this car. I didn't get very far with it, but I was left with a GA drawing of the 1982 car and a very nice letter from the late Maurice Philippe who, quite frankly, probably had more productive things to do than reply to me. These photos aren't of a great quality - they were done on my iPhone and I thought it better to photograph each view rather than the sheet as a whole. I just hope that they're of interest. 

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 14:16

I know a 011 owner who'd probably love to have that if you ever decide to part with it.

Allem

#3 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 18:46

Maurice was an excellent draughtsman and sketch artist, and one of the things he would do every year was create a drawing like this of the current car. I believe it was something to do with registering the design of the car. He continued the practice up to and including 016 and as far as I can recall that was when he stopped doing it. 

Tyrrell Promotions, run by Bob and Alison Tyrrell, used to handle the model licensing business for various F1 teams, so I suppose that was part of why they wanted to formally register the design.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 19:00

Interesting that the original was in pencil and not ink. 

If what you have is a 'diazo' (ammonia system) print I would advise you to get a couple of Xerox copies made as the prints fade if exposed to light.

Edited by D-Type, 21 August 2014 - 19:12.

#5 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 21:30

Interesting that the original was in pencil and not ink. 

If what you have is a 'diazo' (ammonia system) print I would advise you to get a couple of Xerox copies made as the prints fade if exposed to light.

It most certainly is an ammonia system print - that's the copying system we used.

I know the dicussion at hand is about the 011 (before my time at Ockham), but for reference the 016 was the first Tyrrell designed using CAD (prior to that only a rear wing for the 015 was designed using the newly introduced Data General CAD system). Now I think about it, the 015 was probably the last car for which Maurice did a registration drawing like this. Sadly the 016's plotted CAD drawing rather lacked the soul of the earlier pencil renderings. 

#6 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 1,120 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 00:43

Absolutely typical gesture from Maurice to reply in person.

He was a superb draughtsman,

i have never seen one of his Tyrrell drawings done in anything other than pencil on drawing film.

#7 PJGD

PJGD

• 142 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:10

I don't mean to hijack this topic, but did Maurice Phillippe ever publish his autobiography?  I ask because I have a copy of what I assume was intended to be the first chapter, called "Schoolboy at War".  It is an absolutely fascinating account of his time growing up in Morley Avenue, Edmonton, North London during the war.  In reading it, his vivid memories are able to invoke the time better than any other biography I can remember.   He and his family were very lucky, because late in the war, an errant V1  hit very close to his house and destroyed the whole end of the street.  Looking on Google Maps today, you can still see evidence of the area devastated.

Working for Lucas, one of my colleagues, Tony Cross, who had been the Girling Brakes Competition Manager in the late 60's introduced me to Maurice at the Detroit Grand Prix in the mid 1980's.  Somehow he gave me a copy of this draft at that time, but I don't remember why. 

PJGD

#8 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,182 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:08

When did 011 run with that engine cover?

#9 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,703 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:17

When did 011 run with that engine cover?

It says it in the letter. ;)

Well OK it doesn't specify. But a photo of Alboreto's car from Italy 1982 on Forix seems to show that cover with the NACA ducts and curved top. That's probably where they did the back to back testing.

#10 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 801 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:40

What a beautiful car, and lovely letter.

#11 funformula

funformula

• 515 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:15

It says it in the letter.  ;)

Well OK it doesn't specify. But a photo of Alboreto's car from Italy 1982 on Forix seems to show that cover with the NACA ducts and curved top. That's probably where they did the back to back testing.

Seeing these drawings I immediately recognized that I saw the Tyrrell in this specification racing. It was in Hockenheim in 1982.

I don´t know why but I clearly remember the blue Tyrrell with Brian Henton at the wheel. It was a bright sunny day and Hentons metallic blue helmet almost made the Tyrrell blue shine a little brighter.

The other thing I clearly remember from this race day was the FF2000 support race, a guy in a yellow car with no sponsors on it won with a good gap to the rest of the field, I never forgot his name since...Ayrton Senna da Silva

#12 Tim C 27

Tim C 27

• 74 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:33

If you Google 'Tyrrell 011' and scroll down, there's a small photo of the car in this spec. 

Alternatively, here's the link. 

http://www.laberezin...tyrrell-011.jpg

Edited by Tim C 27, 22 August 2014 - 10:35.

#13 Tim C 27

Tim C 27

• 74 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:38

I do have one or two other 'goodies' which may be of interest when I can get around to photographing them.  A GA drawing of a March 85C Indycar and an Isometric (If I remember correctly) of a Penske PC14 Indycar (the one which never raced from 1985) which they kindly gave to me when I visited them at Poole. But they're for another time. ;-) I also have a GA drawing of a Lotus 88 (another unraced car) somewhere, too. 

Edited by Tim C 27, 22 August 2014 - 10:42.

#14 funformula

funformula

• 515 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:12

Seeing these drawings I immediately recognized that I saw the Tyrrell in this specification racing. It was in Hockenheim in 1982.

I don´t know why but I clearly remember the blue Tyrrell with Brian Henton at the wheel. It was a bright sunny day and Hentons metallic blue helmet almost made the Tyrrell blue shine a little brighter.

The other thing I clearly remember from this race day was the FF2000 support race, a guy in a yellow car with no sponsors on it won with a good gap to the rest of the field, I never forgot his name since...Ayrton Senna da Silva

My memory didn´t let me down. In the following link you can see Henton´s Tyrrell at minute 1:22 with Maurice Philippe standing beside the car.

At minute 1:08.20 you can see, that Alboreto is using the same specification of the engine cover.

Its the first time I saw this footage from the aftermath of the Pironi accident...the reaction of one of the marshalls says more than thousand words.

Edited by funformula, 22 August 2014 - 17:14.

#15 PCC

PCC

• 1,061 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 15:04

Or, if possible, a high-resolution scan in a non-compressed format (say, TIFF rather than JPEG). This can then be printed using inks and paper that will last. It would be a terrible shame to lose these.