- - - - -

F1 Manager game (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#1 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 14:23

Long gone are the days of the glorious Grand Prix Manager. Hard to believe there isn't a market for it... anyone with good alternatives?

Advertisement

#2 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 18:40

Why an alternative when GPM2 even has a 2014 MOD?

http://www.forum.gpr...s.com/index.php

http://www.forum.gpr...c.php?f=9&t=397

You can run GPM2 in within Dosbox in a current Windows PC. You will even find the game itself (legally I believe) to download on the Internet.

http://www.bestoldga...-prix-manager-2

Edited by HP, 21 August 2014 - 18:41.

#3 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 17:14

Motorsport Manager for iOS

https://itunes.apple...d776865453?mt=8

Not played so not a recommendation.

#4 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:56

In GPM2 there's an rookie named "Alonso". I always wondered if this is the real Fernando Alonso. The game was released 96. I'm not sure if Alonso was that famous back then.

Anyway, loved the game. I will also try the new iOS Manager and report.

Edited by Tourgott, 03 September 2014 - 09:30.

#5 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:59

It could be, Alonso was doing quite well in karting in those years.

By the way, how surprising and excellent to see GPM2 still receiving such attention by fans. :up:

#6 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 23:40

Never understood why a game developer can't just buy the rights to this game and give all the drivers fake names as not to upset FOM and sell it on steam

#7 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:45

It's very good :) Certainly the best of its kind on the AppStore. I would recommend it.

#8 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 15:23

It is a lot of fun and the presentation is excellent.  Well worth the asking price.

#9 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 23:53

Never understood why a game developer can't just buy the rights to this game and give all the drivers fake names as not to upset FOM and sell it on steam

I remember the guys over at GPracegames had a interview with a certain Mr.Grabowski back when they where GPM2World, about helping out for a GPM3, but there was more than one hurdle. Wanting to, was not one of them.

#10 DutchAutosportFan

DutchAutosportFan

• 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 13:47

F1 manager from EA Games.

Some guy is making the mods from 1990 until 2014 for it.

#11 rosscamero

rosscamero

• 75 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 15:08

It is a lot of fun and the presentation is excellent.  Well worth the asking price.

I echo this sentiment.  As an app game.  It is fantastic.    

I have long been hoping that we will get an official update to the much loved GPM2 but have came to the conclusion that the cost of making a Football Manager type official F1 game and the demand for it don't match up.   I've played a few motor sport managerial sims on the tablet and pc over the years and this one is by far the best.   A few tweaks here and there (the official drivers and the ability to poach other drivers/staff from other teams and a pool of GP2/3 drivers to add to your young driver proggrame) and you have the basic template for a very good official game that could be released as an app.   

Football Manager has a app priced at 7.99 that comes out each year.   Terrific value for the product imo.   It is a scaled down, basic version of the PC game and imo opinion a better one for the casual fan as the PC game literally takes days to complete one season.     F1 has constantly shot itself in the foot regarding it's attempts to reach the new generation with social media, apps and the like.    Hire who ever makes motor sport manager and use that template to make an official game.  With a bit of investment into the current template, it should not cost and arm and a leg to make now that some has found the way to make these games and easy on the eye.  It could very well be the game us F1 geeks have being crying out for.   

Edited by rosscamero, 30 November 2014 - 15:11.

#12 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,841 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:25

It is not FOMs job to make video games.....

If you are going to play such a game clearly you are already an F1 fan.

Edited by Nathan, 01 December 2014 - 01:25.

#13 Bitnik

Bitnik

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 20:25

Hi!

There is a quite unusual approach for F1 Manager game out there. Let's say you can set up your own team selecting a car manufacturer, an engine manufacturer and up to 4 pilots. All from current season. And then you just wait for real F1 venue. Based on results in real life your team score points and get money, which then you use to select other, more competitive components for your team.

Does it sound interesting to you?

Edited by Bitnik, 02 February 2015 - 20:49.

#14 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 19:58

There's a Play-By-Mail [EMail now] game out there.....

http://www.pbmsports.com/raceplan.htm

My only connection is that I'm one of the participants.....

#15 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:15

Actually I always found the Microprose games (GPM, GPM 2, GPW) so flawed, that I never took them up once I lost interest the first time. Such a shame that they weren't as good as their racing sims. I remember how frustrated I got when I failed to finish a single race in the first season (I don't even remember which of the three games it was). Many games of that era (the Microprose games, the EA games, also the German Pole Position) had those horrible pre-rendered racing scenes, where usually within a split second you knew "Oh my god, that's the 'engine blown'-sequence".

I also thought most games didn't get right what a managing game is about. If I play a manager game, I do not want to make the setup for every driver. That's what I pay drivers and engineers for. Depending on how good they are, they should be able to find a setup for the car that gets the most out of the car for that specific circuit. Managing a racing team is about construction, development, huge strategic contract decisions (should I go with Honda in 2015?), trying to get good drivers before they sign to another team or are too expensive, trying to get good engineers together.... and generally, have everything of that list fall in place over time... But don't have me send a car out 7 times until I finally found the correct front wing angle (which usually were unrealistic anyway)... Yes, have me set the strategy and make calls during the race, but what would be nice would be comments from the engineer - depending on how good he is.

I have, however, played Grand Prix Wizard, an mid-1990s indy game, regularly over the past 20 years. Maybe you can find it somewhere. Its predecessor was even more text-based, but also fun (... could it be that it was also called Grand Prix Manager?).

Both games only had one problem: the other teams mostly overspent in order to get up the grid, and folding teams were more than frequent. This generally meant that after 20 or so seasons your team was the only financially healthy team and it became far too easy then (Or as we will say after we've seen the 14-car grid in 2016: it's not a bug, it's a feature!!!!!). But the first 10 seasons or so were always fun, especially when you had some of your childhood dreams coming true (Alesi and Villeneuve winning races for Ferrari in 1996 and Alesi becoming world champion). Look out for Berger and Wendlinger in GPW, they make a good team!

It has, however, (infrequent) driver deaths, and it's a little creepy to see your rising star not walk away from an accident.

If anybody ever makes a new manager game, make sure it has rules revolutions. That's really when established teams might get it wrong

#16 SlowLynx

SlowLynx

• 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:27

Long gone are the days of the glorious Grand Prix Manager. Hard to believe there isn't a market for it... anyone with good alternatives?

There is an interesting game from Autosport. It is a prediction game called GP predictor and it is as simple as guessing the 10 first drivers in every race, the pole-man and the driver with the fastest lap. I will take the opportunity to invite all interested to join a really nice league organized by a motorsport facebook page:

http://gppredictor.c...6273d3aa029c266      

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:55

It's very good :) Certainly the best of its kind on the AppStore. I would recommend it.

Thank you, I have it now, and agree that's it's fun. The first season I found rock hard with the demands of the sponsors becoming impossible, quickly. Having a much easier time of it in the second, because I invested in the young driver programme and have a much better (and cheaper) driver than I had for season 1.

Hi!

There is a quite unusual approach for F1 Manager game out there. Let's say you can set up your own team selecting a car manufacturer, an engine manufacturer and up to 4 pilots. All from current season. And then you just wait for real F1 venue. Based on results in real life your team score points and get money, which then you use to select other, more competitive components for your team.

Does it sound interesting to you?

Yes, but it would need to cover more than one motorsport in order to maintain interest.

#18 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 14:01

Thank you, I have it now, and agree that's it's fun. The first season I found rock hard with the demands of the sponsors becoming impossible, quickly. Having a much easier time of it in the second, because I invested in the young driver programme and have a much better (and cheaper) driver than I had for season 1.

Yes, but it would need to cover more than one motorsport in order to maintain interest.

I managed to finish 1-2 in my first race thanks to pitting at the right time when it rained but that seemed to mess me up for the rest of the year as the sponsors expectations went to high. After that it was ok until now where I am stuck in the 2nd tier on the edge of bankruptcy. :eek:

#19 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 967 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:31

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=334059290

Looks cool.

Advertisement

#20 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 22:13

That reminds me very much of the absolutely bloody awful Racing Manager 2014!

#21 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 20:07

Started playing this a couple of weeks ago and got completely addicted -> Motorsport Manager

Anyone else seen it?

#22 gebroederko

gebroederko

• 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:13

First of all, let me introduce myself: my name is Mike. I am working as a conceptdeveloper for a mediacompany in The Netherlands.

We develop fantastic concepts in all different sorts of disciplines. One thing they have in common: all concepts are online.

As we speak, we are expending our company. From 2016 on, we will be active in the game-industry.

Our first game will be a Formula 1 management game. 

This racinggame will be a lot different than most of the other managementgames on the internet.

At the moment we are searching for racingfans who would love to brainstorm with us about the features of the game.

Please send me a PM, if you would like to help us. It will not cost a lot of time, probably. one or two Skype sessions.

#23 JacobGames

JacobGames

• 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:37

Here's my idea - 3 game modes (Classic, Career and Custom) 

Classic is like the F1 Manager type-mode (not played Grand Prix Manager 1/2/World) where you do the set-ups and stuff

Career is where the races are simulated and all you do is manage finace, hire drivers and engineers, get sponsors etc. 

Custom is where you can choose, maybe you want to do the set-ups and watch the races but want to do more realistic behind-the-scenes stuff then you can.

Just a cool idea i would like to see in an f1 manager game

#24 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 23:12

Started playing this a couple of weeks ago and got completely addicted -> Motorsport Manager

Anyone else seen it?

It's the same as this; 

So you'll see a few people who have recommended it on the page. Not an easy game to beat.

#25 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:59

It's the same as this; 

So you'll see a few people who have recommended it on the page. Not an easy game to beat.

Ah! Hadn't realised. I beat it on the first go! :D ...

...although it did take 16 seasons...

#26 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 17:05

Hello everyone!

I've been looking for a really good F1 management sim for years, but most of them I didn't like that much. Motorsport Manager for iOS is quite good, but it gets repetitive a bit too quickly.

But rather than give up, I'm actually developing a racing manager sim at the moment. I've been at it for ages on a spare time basis - a couple of years - but it's over the crest of the hill now, and I'm trying to spread the word since I've got plans to work on it full time.

The game is called Formula X, and what I'm going for is something less intimidating/confusing than some of the older F1 management sims, while still having a good level of depth. In tone, it's more humorous than most racing team strategy games, with a lot of parody to make up for the fact that I have no license to portray real life motorsports.

If anyone is interested to know more, let me know!

@FormulaXGame

#27 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 15:23

Well yeah, spill the details.  :p

#28 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 16:01

Yeah, would also love to know more about it or if you need any help.

#29 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 21:30

OK. Well, there's quite a bit to cover, so I'll mark the important bits. It's the Red Letter Elevator Pitch.

But if it's a bit TL;DR, here's the address for the game development blog that I started running last weekend as a means of picking up momentum for a Kickstarter:

www.nicholasheathfield.co.uk/wp/

Lots of stuff on there. Pictures, music, screenshots, mockups, share buttons, regular updates to follow. If you like what you see there, tell a friend or three. :)

So here's the information overload:

Well, I started the project after graduating from university in 2012, but progress was slow because of trying to get jobs and things. It wasn't until 2014 that things started to pick up. ATM I've got a job at a call centre and work there 12pm to 8pm... but from 8 to 10 in the mornings and from 9:30 to 11 at night, I'm working like the devil on the project. A lot of the work is done, I'm over the crest of the hill. I'm hoping to run a Kickstarter campaign in around a month from now, so it's vital that as many people know about Formula X as possible. I wouldn't even need to raise all that much to succeed.

As for the game itself, it's quite straightforward. You start the game as a race manager hired by one of the teams in the game - McTavish, or perhaps Wilhelm or Sorbet. Once you've got the basics of issuing team orders (pacing, fuel strategy, tyre changes), you are offered a job as a team manager and get control over the team's finances in addition to team orders.

There's going to be some flexibility about how to progress in the game's career. The team pays you a salary, and you can use that to buy a team outright if they're willing to sell to you, or you can try to get hired by top teams. By the end of ten years, the objective is to accumulate as many points, victories and titles as possible and beat your high score.

You can hire drivers, from backmarker hopefuls like Alexander Wurst to top competitors like Jenson Healey or aging legends like Nigel Moustache. You can buy engines from Stromboli, or perhaps arrange a partnership with Fjord in exchange for a minimum expected championship position.

Short on money now? Take out a loan from a reputable bank like HTSBC, or from those misers at Stooge & Marlow. You can also take sponsorship deals with a top brand like Voguephone or find a more accommodating partner like Telefonicompani, and there'll be a payout for passing race objectives for them.

Then you have to pick which tyre manufacturer you'd like to go with for the year. Will Goodtimes' dry weather superiority prevail, or will you hedge your bets with Piranha? Finally, you'll pick a chief designer and set a budget for your pit crew. Perhaps you can afford Gerry Anderson, but the amount of money left over might mean you'll have to hire Gullible Volunteers to man the pit lane. 

I've been doing tons of graphics for the game. There are 39 sponsors, each with an individually-designed livery for ten car designs to cover the ten years. Circuits will follow, I've done a few of those already. The same goes for music.

One thing I would ask for help with is finding a guy who can impersonate Murray Walker's style of commentating, as I'm looking into having commentary in the game.

That's it, sorry if I got carried away there. Most of these features are fully or almost-fully implemented already.

Edited by FormulaXGame, 29 July 2015 - 21:31.

#30 k0010

k0010

• 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 14:32

there is a very good online manager game and i enjoy it
http://www.gpro.net/?id=703523

#31 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 20:55

Hullo again chaps. I've been working a lot on the game, and I have both a video (YouTube) and a playable build (Windows).

Overview video showing current state of Formula X

Playable build of Formula X (version M31)

I think that's all for now, please do have a bash at it and pass on any feedback, particularly if you run into game-stopping bugs.

#32 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,885 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:36

There can be only one   :yawnface: 

http://www.formulaxm...ex.php?taal=gbr

Not only F1 though, you can sign up for F1, Indy, MotoGP, Moto2, WSBK, DTM, GP2 en WTCC

12711268_1119616538058301_26493613077064

Edited by Ragnar668, 13 March 2016 - 08:37.

#33 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:05

Oh yes, I found out about that one a little while ago. In fact, it was in early October that I found (yet another) one called Formula X, a mobile phone racing game someone had released after I decided on the original name. I simply retitled mine Formula XD at that time, as noted here: Formula X is now Formula XD – here’s why

Progress is still going well, in fact. I haven't had time to update the blog - I'm only here right now because I got an email notification about Ragnar668's post - but rest assured, it won't be long before I'm ready to demonstrate my project again.

#34 ThomasBB

ThomasBB

• 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:43

Is this the place to shamelessly promote ones own game? :p

We just launched our free online racing manager game this week, check it out if you're interested: http://www.racing-office.com/

The highlight is our 2D live race (and qualifying) which I think not a lot of online games have. There are descriptions, screenshots and a video on the landing page, but here it goes anyway: https://www.youtube....h?v=YEOJ1rGwO3Q

I'd be happy to see a few of you over there  :wave:

#35 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:34

Welcome aboard, ThomasBB!

I like your live commentary system. Good luck with your game, I gather the online racing team manager web game space is a rather hotly contested arena.

#36 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:21

I'd like to plug the 2 year old Motorsport Manager, Android (2 euros) and iOS (Free iirc).

It's pretty good, had a lot of fun with it :)

#37 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:05

Motorsport Manager is indeed a fun game which just about manages (har har) to make the genre work in a mobile environment while also providing something that doesn't scare away people who aren't madly keen on getting into highly technical micromanagement.

#38 rosscamero

rosscamero

• 75 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 18:57

Someone sent me a link to a demo for a new PC game last week.

It's called Race Team Simulator. Give it a try.

I think it might be the best PC based game since GPM2.

It's not official obviously but you can easily edit the names.

The demo only includes a race simulation but it has fantastic attention to detail.

I believe the full spec will be released in November.

#39 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 23:45

Someone sent me a link to a demo for a new PC game last week.

It's called Race Team Simulator. Give it a try.

I think it might be the best PC based game since GPM2.

It's not official obviously but you can easily edit the names.

The demo only includes a race simulation but it has fantastic attention to detail.

I believe the full spec will be released in November.

No, no and absolutely no! That is very much similar to the awful, awful Racing Manager games...

Advertisement

#40 rosscamero

rosscamero

• 75 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:56

It's nothing to do with the Race Manager games. You are correct, they were terrible but I don't see the comparison to the demo I played.

Care to expand?

#41 rosscamero

rosscamero

• 75 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 19:29

It appears the makers of Motorsport Manager will tomorrow reveal a new game they have made with Sega.

I presume this will be their first attempts outside the app market.

#42 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,257 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 14:10

Time for our big reveal... an all-new Motorsport Manager will be coming to PC, Mac & Linux! http://bit.ly/205Kpw5 

Edited by Marklar, 18 May 2016 - 14:11.

#43 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 15:01

I am as always skeptical when it comes to games like this. However, SEGA does know that a properly made manager game, can be profitable (Football Manager)

#44 Xentas

Xentas

• 815 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:11

Since being around since 1979 in motorsports, i have played a lot of different management sims in my time, the most absurd was f1 manager 2001 at monaco and when there is a car ahead of you to be lapped and it is coming to pit on that lap, or you switch the the timing screen at the right moment. it was far too easy to get away with exploiting the game engine on that, in fact the minardi team i ran with in 1999 scored a 1-2 at monaco by being clever with the pitstops and using the timing screen to get 6 seconds for a pitstop and get out ahead of any competition and or lap traffic while your opponents get stuck behind them. Other times i am stuck at the back of the grid with those zetec engines, and i press pit when a faster car is behind and watch everything backing up creeping at a snails pace in areas i know the game engine wont allow overtaking. so i can throw results for unexpected winners.

The last attempt i know of was that 2014 management sim, as i recalled at every race the engine always conspired against my team when it was in points scoring position and suddenly see retirements just like that and when the team were not in the points suddenly there are no retirements that same crew also build a previous game which was not very good either.

In the old days there were GPM and GPW, those were entertaining, watching a fictional team scoring lots of points while others dropped like flies and for GPW it was way too easy to out develop your competition even with bad engines and bad drivers.

Wonder how this one will fare.

#45 Rivanov

Rivanov

• 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:16

Loving the Motorsport Manager game on iOS. Been a massive fan of the Football Manager series (back when it ws called Championship Manager) so I hope the PC version of MM will be great also!

#46 Ristin

Ristin

• 111 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 18:23

Is this the place to shamelessly promote ones own game? :p

We just launched our free online racing manager game this week, check it out if you're interested: http://www.racing-office.com/

The highlight is our 2D live race (and qualifying) which I think not a lot of online games have. There are descriptions, screenshots and a video on the landing page, but here it goes anyway: https://www.youtube....h?v=YEOJ1rGwO3Q

I'd be happy to see a few of you over there  :wave:

I followed the invitation and have been playing this for some weeks now. And I like it. The game is rapidly evolving, new stuff and tracks is added for every season and the developer really listens to the players.

#47 FormulaXGame

FormulaXGame

• 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 17:46

Hi everyone. It's been a while. Formula X has been through a lot in the last year. It's been renamed to Formula XD. It's got a lot goofier. And it's just been put on Steam Greenlight.

I've been working really hard on it all this time, and it's still not done! It's crazy how much work goes into a game. There's not much more left to do - just a few months yet, I think.

Man, I hope the Russian GP is good this year...

#48 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 00:15

I am as always skeptical when it comes to games like this. However, SEGA does know that a properly made manager game, can be profitable (Football Manager)

Well, It's good to be skeptical, but Motorsport Manager was actually quite good.

#49 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 21:53

Motorsport Manager is on Steam sale and I picked it with GT series expansion.

I started ordinary career game (not challenge) in Euro-serie and weakest team - Predator.

I did pre-read some guides and got into game by getting good designer and good race-engineers. I ran mediocre first season and got one lucky 4th position too.

Next season took another level by sacking both my drivers and hiring extraordinary good and cheap unemployed german and very good french driver. They were not afraid to overtake and their feedback from car was excellent. During season 2, they got few podiums and I got my team marketvalue up and better sponsors.

In 3rd season, though by stats (bug?) my car is weakest of all, my drivers dominates both championships even though race grid is reversed towards championship standings.

I have pretty awfull HQ and trying to develope some main buildings and taking finances few millions to negative. However, I look forward rest of season and championship bonus will grant me massive amount of money for next years car and further development of car and HQ. I'm not anyway stong enough to get promoted on next league so I most likely have to turn down offer of promotion.

Fun game. :D

#50 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 16:01

Thanks for the heads-up. :up:

I had some fun with their Android version, but eventually ran into a situation where none of the sponsors or prize money was enough to stay competitive at the highest championship - unless you kept buying funds for real cash.

It seems that such a scheme is not present in the PC version, which also looks a lot more elaborate. :up: