Photo

Barcelona

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fred.R

Fred.R

• 101 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:32

Im going to be in Barcelona in September, i was looking for  hints of  motor sport ,car, aircraft , technical museums   in Bracelona and near by eg Montjuïc circuit, is there any thing to see at Autódromo de Sitges-Terramar

thanks

Fred

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:25

There's lots of useful info on Sitges-Terramar in this earlier thread, including directions for getting there by train or car:

http://forums.autosp...kable-survival/

As the circuit was sold recently you may not now be able to get in, but it appears you can get a good view of it without actually getting in.

#3 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:50

You can walk the entire Montjuich circuit, and if you can then you should take the opportunity, it must have been a helluva place. Plus the castle on the mountain behind it is very interesting with great views across the whole city.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:05

There's also the Pedralbes circuit - although I doubt it's as picturesque as Montjuich!

pedralbes0.jpg

#5 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,538 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:38

Entry to the Museum of Catalan History is as cheap as chips. It has exhibits on local industry and there are lots of good photos of street scenes. There is usually an old SEAT on display.

Try also http://www.anticcar.com/ (the Catalan club for historic cars) which I have yet to visit. I don't think the English language version of the website works properly.

Search on the web for "Hispano-Suiza Barcelona" for links to Barcelona's finest car. Try the same for "Derbi motorcycle Barcelona". Derbi's factory (assembly shop) is out of town on a grim industrial estate near the modern racing circuit.

Montjuich Park is a popular place for learner drivers so take care when taking photographs from the middle of the road!

#6 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 239 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 13:47

Dear Fred, just below the hill of Montjuich there is a little street "carrer de blai".
Just by chance I found "Tallers Santa Madrona" in house # 24. The garage restores oldtimer
and I saw a very rare Pegaso Z-102. The garage door is open during daytime and the mechanic was pleased
to show me - a tourist - the car and I was able to take some photos as well.
Might be worth a quick glance if you return from your Montjuich circuit lap. Enjoy! Andreas

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,696 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 21:02

There's also the Pedralbes circuit - although I doubt it's as picturesque as Montjuich!

pedralbes0.jpg

Definitely not as picturesque as Montjuich but surprisingly hilly. Can't believe it was 12 years ago I made my other half walk around most of it (she's scowling at me as I write ) on a very warm October afternoon

http://theracingline...racingcircuits/

( Look under photo archives )

Great city  Barca.

#8 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:31

I think the Pedralbes circuit pictured is the pre-1950 4.46Km circuit.

The 1950 non-championship race and the 1951 and 1954 World championship races were run on a lengthened 6.25/6.31 km circuit where the main straight was about 2.7 kms long.

About two-thirds of the way along Av Victoria the circuit turned left along Paseo/Passeig de Manuel Girona to a right turn into Calle/Carrer de Numancia (the 6-way junction at far right of map) and then rejoined Av del Gen Franco with a sharper right turn.

Most of these roads have been renamed, as is the custom after the fall of a dictatorship, and the main straight is now Avenida Diagonal, which my memory suggests was the name used for it in race reports or in books of the period.

As for Montjuich I had the good fortune to drive around it in September 1970, when it was being prepared for motor-cycle races, with banners, hay-bales etc in place. It should have been a boy-racer's dream, but with city traffic, and driving a Bedford Dormobile camper, something was lacking, somehow. But spectacular  nevertheless - hills, trees, walls, looking out over the harbour and Naval Base.

Stu

#9 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:22

Fred, Montjuich is a lovely area of the city, with fantastic views over Barca (think of the Olympic Swimming Pool from '92). If you are in to art at all the Fundacio Joan Miro is also on the top end of the route, Miro's influence is all over Spanish public art to this day. And one more thing, you probably know the circuit is anti-clockwise, I didn't when I dragged my mate clockwise around it in '99, cheers JohnP

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:57

Fred, Montjuich is a lovely area of the city, with fantastic views over Barca (think of the Olympic Swimming Pool from '92). If you are in to art at all the Fundacio Joan Miro is also on the top end of the route, Miro's influence is all over Spanish public art to this day. And one more thing, you probably know the circuit is anti-clockwise, I didn't when I dragged my mate clockwise around it in '99, cheers JohnP

On the subject of art, there's also the Fundación Francisco Godia, which is based upon the art collection built up by the first Spaniard to race in a World Championship event.

#11 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:38

Be sure to see the commemorative plaque dedicated to the history of the Montjuïc circuit. It's located near the entrance to the Olympic and Sports Museum Joan Antoni Samaranch. As well, there's a very cool motorcycle museum located in the old city called Museo Moto.

#12 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:08

Fred, if there are some Euros (still) left over:

http://www.libromoto...os.php?codigo=6

They have  a shop in Barcelona too, but check the opening hours in August, very friendly people!!

Best regards Michael

#13 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,124 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 13:17

On the subject of art, there's also the Fundación Francisco Godia, which is based upon the art collection built up by the first Spaniard to race in a World Championship event.

Ignacio Palacios?

;)

Else, I agree with everything said, including Stu's corrections about Pedralbes. And, Montjuïc is definitely worth a visit, even without its motorsport connection!

#14 ozpata

ozpata

• 743 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 17:13

Pedralbes_1950_Fsm_zpsj9gujoy5.png
https://oscarplada.blogspot.com/