Gerry Hinde

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mallory64

Mallory64

• 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:00

Hi,

I am trying to find anything about Gerry Hinde, he raced a Cooper s at Mallory Park for  A.R.G.Blanchard in 1970.  Anything would help, where from ect.

Advertisement

#2 backfire

backfire

• 118 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 13:43

I have not heard of Gerry for many years, but maybe I can fill a few gaps. Gerry lived in Ilkeston (between Derby & Nottingham) and regularly raced his own 1293 Cooper S (often at Mallory) in the 1960s. In the late 60s / early 70s, local enthusiast Rod Blanchard (proprietor of Rod Blanchard Motors     situated close to the family business, Blanchard's Bakery in Watnall, Notts) built a racing Cooper S which Gerry drove for him. The RBM Cooper was built to a very high spec (reportedly costing £10,000 - a fortune at the time) with a short stroke Gordon Allen cranked 1260cc motor with fuel injected 8 port head and a BVRT supplied beam axle rear suspension. The car was immaculate in yellow with black roof (from the waist line up) and spats. The car was built to take on Mini maestro, Geoff Wood and his rapid BVRT car - but could never beat it - the rear suspension, supposedly the same as Wood's, was not set up right, and there was talk of a demon one off camshaft in the BVRT car. In fact Wood drove the car at Mallory on one occasion but was not as quick as he had been in his regular car.

The reason I know all this is that I bought Gerry's original car (I think I paid £400 including trailer & then later, the RBM rolling chassis both for sprinting (& the odd hill climb). 

Gerry, if he is hopefully still with us, will probably be in his 80s by now. 

#3 Mallory64

Mallory64

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:58

Thanks very much,  Thats fantastic.  I met Geoff a year before he sadly died.  He had an exelant memory,  use to do all his own prep. 

I came across a programme with Gerry in a Vitamin, this explains it.

Thanks again.

#4 Silvergolf4

Silvergolf4

• 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 21:40

Hi, I am Gerry's daughter, he sadly passed away in 2012, at the age of 81, he was still mad about cars, and I have lots of memorabilia from his racing days which I will treasure, I am very pleased that he is still thought of, he is sadly missed,

#5 Silvergolf4

Silvergolf4

• 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 21:48

P.S, I have a photo of Gerry standing with that yellow and black Mini.