Photo

Giulio Cabianca / Casabianca?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,430 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 14:24

I've found a few sources in which the name of Giulio Cabianca is reported to be originally written as Casabianca.

I do not know whether his family name was actually Casabianca and he shortened it (for unknown reason), or it was simply typing mistake...

:confused:

A native of Verona, Italy, Giulio Cabianca was a talented sportscar driver. He won the Dolomites Gold Cup in 1956 in a works Osca MT4 1500, and took part to four Formula 1 Grands Prix between 1958 and 1960.He lost his life in a bizarre accident while testing a Cooper-Ferrari F1 at Modena Autodrome .

Advertisement

#2 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 16:14

I've found a few sources in which the name of Giulio Cabianca is reported to be originally written as Casabianca.

I do not know whether his family name was actually Casabianca and he shortened it (for unknown reason), or it was simply typing mistake...

A native of Verona, Italy, Giulio Cabianca was a talented sportscar driver. He won the Dolomites Gold Cup in 1956 in a works Osca MT4 1500, and took part to four Formula 1 Grands Prix between 1958 and 1960.He lost his life in a bizarre accident while testing a Cooper-Ferrari F1 at Modena Autodrome .

Without checking I think his car left the circuit entrance somehow and collided with a taxi out on the public road.

#3 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 22:22

Nanni ...as sources do you mean the following:

1) the Murphy book Carrera Panamericana page 137

http://books.google....abianca&f=false

2) http://www.racingspo...1952-11-23.html

here we are offered both spellings..

No answer (yet) to your question..

There is a relative new book on Cabianca, but I do not find it at the moment--maybe there is more family background in.

regards Michael

#4 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 13:25

According to the book ''Cabianca. Una storia di corse'' by Danilo Castellarin (2011), the parents were Cesare CABIANCA and Bruna BOSCHINI...No trace of the shortening of the name from Casa to Ca...

Best regards Michael