• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:54

News of dates for the next Members' Meeting in 2015

GOODWOOD MOTOR CIRCUIT TO STAGE 73rd MEMBERS’ MEETING IN MARCH, 2015

The Goodwood Road Racing Club is delighted to announce that the 73rd Members’ Meeting will be held on the weekend of March 21-22, 2015 at Goodwood Motor Circuit.

The Members’ Meeting was revived this year for Members of the GRRC to continue the tradition of the 71 club motor sport events held at Goodwood from 1948-66, and played host to a weekend of dramatic motor racing.

Star names including grand prix winner Jochen Mass, Le Mans 24 hours victors Emanuele Pirro and Jackie Oliver and current professionals Darren Turner and Andy Priaulx contested this year’s event, which featured some of the greatest sport ever seen at Goodwood.

The 73rd Members’ Meeting features several new races, including one for pre-1966 versions of one of the iconic Porsche 911 and another for one-litre ‘screamer’ Formula 3 cars of 1964-70 – an era that produced Emerson Fittipaldi, Derek Bell and Clay Regazzoni.

The hugely-popular Gerry Marshall Trophy - which pairs professional racers with Group 1 touring cars - will return, as will the Salvadori Trophy for 1955-60 sports prototypes.

High-speed demonstrations will be held for pre-1975 Formula 1 cars including those of the distinctive ‘high-airbox’ era, Group C Le Mans machines that regularly reached 230mph on the Mulsanne Straight, and the car that made McLaren a winner at La Sarthe in 1995 - the F1 GTR - which will appear in both short and long-tail variants.

Off-track, the battle for the Goodwood House Cup, won by Anthony Reid’s ‘Methuen’ House in 2014, will be bolstered by fun competitions – all counting for House points – throughout the weekend, and will feature a huge Saturday night party for all guests, culminating in a spectacular fireworks display set to music.

Members of the GRRC can secure their spots at the event from today (29 August), with like-minded enthusiasts given the opportunity to purchase a limited quantity of tickets from 6 November.

Advertisement

#2 john aston

john aston

• 2,675 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 13:01

Hmm ..tempted ..if they let in Yorkshire riff raff amongst the right crowd and no crowding .

#3 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 18:27

News of dates for the next Members' Meeting in 2015

The invitation also included a DVD with highlights from this year's Members' Meeting,  FOC, and pretty good it is, too. I am definitely going next Spring.

Edited by doc knutsen, 30 August 2014 - 18:27.

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:10

'Ow about Colonials?

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:50

ZwN8M7.jpg

If you look carefully, it was the right crowd this year and this was the only real bit of crowding I saw. If Lord March can convince the weather gods to play along again in 2015, he's on a winner. :smoking:

Edited by Giraffe, 31 August 2014 - 07:51.

#6 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:09

I didn't go this year, mainly cost but also, for some reason I wasn't into most of the cars that were being raced....80s saloons, for instance, don't appeal to me.

But I would be very interested in seeing the 1litre F3 cars next March....and knowing Lord March, a lot more will come out of the woodwork than usually appear elsewhere.

The problem comes down to cost again...its a fortune to attend both FoS & the Revival...adding this 3rd event, makes it a certainty that I'd have to forego the FoS to attend....I much prefer the Revival to FoS after all, it is actual racing... 

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 31 August 2014 - 15:51.

#7 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 19:15

I plan to attend.  Revival has just become too big and too corporate for my taste.   I'll probably never attend another (after seven), and FoS has little appeal for me.   I'm looking forward to Members' Meeting 73 and hoping it will be at least as good as 72 apparently was.  Perhaps a TNF meet-up can be arranged...If so, see you there!

#8 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:45

Hotel is already booked !!

I am again looking forward to the MM - I just hope it will remain as uncrowded as it has been this year. 

#9 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 893 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:39

Just realised, it clashes with the HERO/CRA Poppy Rally over in Ypres that I am usually involved with.....will see nearer the time whether I can go to MM or not.

#10 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:26

Does any one know the history of the first 71 Member's Meetings at Goodwood? I had made an assumption that it was for members of the BARC which was based at Goodwood until it closed in '66 forcing them to move to Thruxton. Are there any TNF'ers who attended some of those earlier meetings?

Edited by Paulleek, 09 November 2014 - 16:24.

#11 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 18:10

I never went to any of the original BARC Member's Meetings but I am sure there will be a number of TNF folk who did. I believe participation did require BARC membership. Looking at some old Motor Sport fixture lists I see that the meetings were categorised as "Closed" which I believe meant that entries were only open to club members as opposed to "Restricted" which meant that other selected clubs would be invited.

These meetings  had a character all of their own. There were usually 5/6 scratch races and a couple of handicap races to close the programme. By the 1960s there were usually events for single seaters (FJ/F3), saloons, marque cars , GT and sports cars. For a while there was a no spinning or "grass cutting" rule whereby if you indulged in such antics you were docked time ( 1 min?).

As far as I know these meetings started right from the word go when Goodwood opened in 1948.

#12 Paulleek

Paulleek

• 56 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 08:40

Thanks Pete, that's interesting. By "entries" I assume you meant race entries. What about spectator entry to the event? Did they need to be BARC Members too, do you know?

#13 pete53

pete53

• 724 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:21

Thanks Pete, that's interesting. By "entries" I assume you meant race entries. What about spectator entry to the event? Did they need to be BARC Members too, do you know?

Yes, by entries I mean race competitors, but, admission wasn't restricted to BARC members - anyone could attend. Or at least that was the case in later years - perhaps it was different for the very early meets.

I always found it interesting that the only club meetings that I can recall Motor Sport magazine reporting on, or giving the results of, were the Goodwood BARC Members Meetings ( apart from the VSCC meetings). Does anyone know why this would have been so?

#14 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:24

Perhaps something to do with the Motor Sport Brooklands Memorial Trophy Races. 

Roger Lund

#15 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,050 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:05

I always found it interesting that the only club meetings that I can recall Motor Sport magazine reporting on, or giving the results of, were the Goodwood BARC Members Meetings ( apart from the VSCC meetings). Does anyone know why this would have been so?

I remembered many other club meeting reports and taking July 1960 as a random example there are reports on BARC Whitsun Goodwood, BRSCC Whit-Monday Crystal Palace and Eight Clubs Silverstone - plus a number of European events of similar status had brief reports.

However August 1960 was as you say with VSCC Oulton and BARC Goodwood only although the July issue's calendar had listed 7 race meetings of Closed, Restricted and National British status.

When the Goodwood Revival first appeared, they did model the event on the original 5/6 scratch races and a couple of handicap races that Pete referred to. Since then it seems to have changed to something quite unlike anything that took place in the circuit's first existance.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 09 November 2014 - 12:09.

#16 eeyore48

eeyore48

• 92 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 19:22

Evening all

I'm going so I expect it'll p*** it down all day, racing will be cancelled, the burgers will be soggy and cost 20 guineas each, the drummers will be Scousers on tour and my chauffeur will get the automobile up to it axles in mud.Hey ho.

eeyore48 :(

#17 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 16:14

I've seen this afternoon on Motors TV's Twitter feed that they will be on air 'live' from Goodwood from 2.30pm on Sunday afternoon!

#18 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 459 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:14

Evening all
I'm going so I expect it'll p*** it down all day, racing will be cancelled, the burgers will be soggy and cost 20 guineas each, the drummers will be Scousers on tour and my chauffeur will get the automobile up to it axles in mud.Hey ho.

eeyore48 :(

Ian, how's the job with The Samaritans going ?

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:26

large_9781405267052.jpg?1369603215

Advertisement

#20 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:01

Live stream available on the Goodwood site and linked on Autosport.

http://www.autosport...embers-meeting/

Timetable here > https://grrc.goodwoo...vTJA5OF8gcTT.97

Although they do seem to be around 15-25 minutes behind currently.

#21 crooky369

crooky369

• 628 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 13:17

That F1 vs Merc road car vs Merc 70s touring car exibition was the worst one I'd ever seen.

#22 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 13:22

That F1 vs Merc road car vs Merc 70s touring car exibition was the worst one I'd ever seen.

Some you win, some you lose.

#23 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 17:19

Patrick Head on now.

#24 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 19:33

Make the most of it, if developers get their way some 300 houses will be built just over the way from the south side of the circuit. The likely ending being residents moving in and complaining about the noise and this impacting on the ability of Goodwood to continue as a race venue.

#25 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:13

what I saw of this on Motors TV this afternoon I thoroughly enjoyed. Was going to say that I'd try and go next year, but not at those prices!

#26 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:27

Commendations should go to the Goodwood team who allow live coverage of the whole weekend's proceedings, free-to-view via the Goodwood website. The circuit commentary with Marcus Pye, Chris Drewett and Bruce Jones gives the coverage a feeling of immediacy and includes all the post-race interviews. Happily, the Members' Meeting was free of the repetitive advert breaks for the event sponsors that featured on last year's Revival and FoS broadcasts.

#27 ron54

ron54

• 86 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:53

Seconded

#28 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 23:12

Commendations should go to the Goodwood team who allow live coverage of the whole weekend's proceedings, free-to-view via the Goodwood website. The circuit commentary with Marcus Pye, Chris Drewett and Bruce Jones gives the coverage a feeling of immediacy and includes all the post-race interviews. Happily, the Members' Meeting was free of the repetitive advert breaks for the event sponsors that featured on last year's Revival and FoS broadcasts.

absolutely, enjoyed all the races,interviews and comments..and looked for TNFer during the spectator shots :wave:

Michael

NB wondered over the abbrevation 'AUB',' MET'   after the drivers names.First thought that's the (newish) tyre manufacturer--oh NO the houses!! It will stay a mystery for continentals as are the cricket rules..

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:29

It will stay a mystery for continentals as are the cricket rules..

Cricket – wo Schläger Gentlemen sind! :wave:

#30 charles r

charles r

• 8,403 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 08:28

We went yesterday, arrived early and enjoyed every minute.

Very like the early Revivals, with the emphasis on the cars/racing not on fancy dress.

Highlights the  "demonstration" by high airbox Grand Prix Cars, watched from the infield halfway down the Lavant straight, driven very quickly and looking very much at home here and the Can Am race in the late afternoon sunshine, Glorious! :up:

#31 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:44

I don't know how to post a link on here - copying and pasting seems not to work. Google "Priceless Jaguar and Mercedes crash at Goodwood" on MSN.com and check the captions for your amusement. In particular, "German legend Hans Stuck" is shorter and fatter than when last seen.

Linky :)

[Edit] I see that the name of the German legend has now been changed. Perhaps someone at MSN reads this forum.

Edited by P.Dron, 23 March 2015 - 11:56.
Link added

#32 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:53

Vitesse a good starting point!! Any explanations for the HOUSES???

Michael

#33 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:08

Michael

You are not permitted entry at Goodwood unless you attended an English public school.

Thanks for helping with the link, Vitesse.

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:14

I don't know how to post a link on here - copying and pasting seems not to work. Google "Priceless Jaguar and Mercedes crash at Goodwood" on MSN.com and check the captions for your amusement. In particular, "German legend Hans Stuck" is shorter and fatter than when last seen.

Linky :)

mD9zkh.jpg[/IMG]

The German legend also attempted to kill me yesterday...... :smoking:

I had sat on this bench a short while before and the thought that there might have been a connection did pass thoough my mind........  ;)

Edited by Giraffe, 23 March 2015 - 11:37.

#35 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:28

Michael

We did discuss it before last year's event: http://forums.autosp...t/#entry6428158

#36 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:01

The German legend also attempted to kill me yesterday...... :smoking:

Only because you said, "Hey Stucky, I can see you've been at the pies!"

#37 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:10

Only because you said, "Hey Stucky, I can see you've been at the pies!"

I don't know what "How very dare you!" is in German................ I should have asked Amanda Stretton...

HDOQ6v.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Giraffe, 23 March 2015 - 12:11.

#38 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 15:03

C'mon - that's Jochen Mass. What are you on?

#39 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 15:27

C'mon - that's Jochen Mass. What are you on?

As mentioned above, the MSN photo gallery in the link originally claimed that the somewhat portly gent climbing out of the damaged Merc was Hans Stuck. No mean achievement, given that der Bergmeister would now be 114 - always assuming that he hadn't actually died in 1978.

In Giraffe's picture, I assume he's fending off someone who has actually mistaken him for an ice-cream seller ... Häagen-Mazs, anybody?

Advertisement

#40 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 16:17

As mentioned above, the MSN photo gallery in the link originally claimed that the somewhat portly gent climbing out of the damaged Merc was Hans Stuck. No mean achievement, given that der Bergmeister would now be 114 - always assuming that he hadn't actually died in 1978.

In Giraffe's picture, I assume he's fending off someone who has actually mistaken him for an ice-cream seller ... Häagen-Mazs, anybody?

Well, they were probably thinking of Hans-Joachim, Stuck Jr.

#41 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,581 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 16:30

Some of the other captions on that MSN site could also do with being rewritten, especially:

'This much-developed 1950s special, based on the 1955 sportscar world championship-winning racer and then further built upon in America, was in a sorry state.'

'... the Lister-Jaguar D-type ...'

:well:

#42 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 16:39

Brilliant! No other word does justice to the spectacular events last week-end.

I just got back to Norway, and my happy ears are still ringing.  Not to mention  that a quantity of cerumen  will need removing from the corners of my mouth before going to work to-morrow, my smiles were that wide throughout the week-end. Proper motor racing by proper racing drivers in proper racing cars, almost every race was just brilliant. And, like last year, there was a bit of humour added to the mix, with the Mercedes-Benz mess-up over the "catch-up" display clearly trumping the windscreen-less Triplex-sponsored Dolly Sprint of last year. And an early nominee for next year's Academy Award for best supporting act to go to Nick Swift, for his in-car body language.

Yes sir, my friends and I will be back for more!

#43 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,206 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:02

Did Jean-Pierre Jarier turn up and/or Drive his Shadow? I saw it captioned with - I think- Rob Huff's name

#44 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:05

Yes, Jumper was there and on very good form, giving a very good interview, and driving
Roger Lund

#45 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:19

Did Jean-Pierre Jarier turn up and/or Drive his Shadow? I saw it captioned with - I think- Rob Huff's name

He would have had four to choose from, but despite one website captioning him in the Shadow, I never saw him at Goodwood this weekend. Of course I could have been Masstaken......

qDUkAD.jpg[/IMG]

#46 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:20

.....neither did I see him driving Roger Lund........ :wave:

#47 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:30

Interviewed on GWTV prior to putting on helmet & driving away in the parade

#48 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,206 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 18:35

Cheers. Not Rob Huff, sorry- Gregor Fisken. Glad he turned up, don't often see Jumper at these events

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 23 March 2015 - 21:17.

#49 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:25

I'm watching on Motors t.v. at the moment. Waiting to see some racing cars as opposed to saloons and sports cars.

The t.v. commentator says that the event was a sell-out but there looked to be only one Lavant grandstand, the fences in front of it didn't seem that busy and the Madgwick bank was relatively sparsely populated compared with the Revival.

Given the cost of entry for spectators, I can't say that I am surprised - personally I think that the admission prices were scandalously high. Right crowd and no crowding I suppose.

#50 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 20:56

Having just seen the front-engined F.1 car race, I have some questions.

Why did some of the cars seem to be running do low? The yellow Connaught and a couple of 250.Fs appeared to have ground clearances of about an inch and a half at most. Surely they never ran that low in period?

How wonderful to see the light green B.R.M. on the track again.

Also, the Diffey Maserati looked a bit odd around the radiator opening or am I mistaken?

What was the little silver car that was going round at walking pace?