Photo

Vauxhalls in Australian Motorsport

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:21

Hi all, my name is Leigh Whitfield and as a long time Vauxhall enthusiast and Motorsport fan I have recently been trying to put together a historical file of Vauxhall vehicles that have competed in Motorsport in Australia.

While the Vintage years and 30/98's in particular are fairly well documented there are lots that are not.

Some of the cars I am looking for details on are:

1953 & 54 sedans and Vagabonds - Redex trials

1950's and early 60's Mobiloil and Ampol Trial competitors

1960 PAY Cresta - Phillip Island - Coad & Roxborough

1961 PAX Velox - Phillip Island               "

!962 PAX Velox - Phillip Island                "

1963 VX 4/90 - Bathurst                         Kratzman

1963 PB Velox - Bathurst               McKay & Cusack

1964 PB Velox - Bathurst              Brunninghausen & Sach

1964 & 5 Vivas - Bathurst

Any Vauxhall powered Speedway cars

Etc, etc.

Any details, especially photos, race results, etc and ultimately do any of the original cars still exist anywhere. Also are any of the original drivers still around? ( I know of a couple) but any clues would be gratefully received.

Eventually I am hoping to be able to put together a book to celebrate Vauxhalls long involvement in Motorsport in Australia.

Hoping someone out there might be able to assist.

Regards,

Leigh.

Edited by griffinvale, 05 September 2014 - 09:24.

Advertisement

#2 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:36

Leigh, we have met (think BMC),

I'll dig out a couple of things when I can.

Hal Maloney would be your man on the Trials side of things. I think he frequents here occasionally.

You probably need to think of adding the Coad special to your list. George Coad (junior) current custodian, can usually be found at Sandown or Rob Roy Historic meets in November. Or try the VHRR.

Of the drivers you mention, possibly only Max Brunninghausen and Greg Cusack are the only ones left.

Stephen

#3 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:04

The following is the Armstrong 500-winning Vauxhall, resplendant with John Roxburgh & Frank Coad sitting on the bonnet. This is from the short-lived Light Car Club of Australia magazine. By the end of 1961 it was Autosportsman magazine. Vauxhall's Publicity Department were keen enough to run this photo in one of their UK motoring magazine ads at the time.

This magazine has a bit of a feature on the event and a photo of John & Frank receiving their winners laurels from Sir Herbert Opperman.

1960_armstrong_vauxhall.jpg
image search

Stephen

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:11

It's doubtful Greg would know much about the car...

He was bolted into the driver's seat and told to 'go!' a few times, all the work was probably done by Boyded as they provided the car for David McKay.

There were other Vauxhalls in the earlier Armstrongs, too. And there was the PA (I think... circa 1960 model) that raced regularly at Lowood and Lakeside by a driver named Jones into the mid-sixties. There are photos about of this car, it was fairly quick.

There was also the Lotus 6 replica raced at Oran Park and Catalina by a big bloke who's name I've forgotten, it had an early Viva engine. It was sold by Malcolm Smith to someone in Victoria about thirty years ago.

#5 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:27

Thanks Stephen and Ray, well its a start.

I personally know Frank Coad and although the Vauxhall Special is still around, usually driven by Joanne, it is the final rendition of this car after many developments. There is really nothing Vauxhall left on it now.

I tried to get Frank to do a reproduction of that car in its original form with the Vauxhall stuff on it just as it was in the beginning but this has not happened yet.

I would dearly like to find any of the original cars, hopefully there is one out there somewhere.

Ray, I have some photos of all 3 PA's that ran in the Armstong races at P.I.  A friend knows a few of the pit crew from Cheney's that went down there and I got some personal photos from them, really interesting shots of happenings in the background.  I believe the 1960 car was pale blue, the 1961 car was white and pale green and the 62 car was all white, but I stand to be corrected.

What I have found is virtually all the early photos I have or have seen are in B & W of course, I would love to get some color transparencies or talk to people who can let me know what colors the various cars are. For example what color is the Velox driven by Max Brunninghausen (White?) and what color were the stripes on the bonnet? I have a collection of around 400 Vauxhall scale models including all the race cars that have so far been modelled but I want to do some of the ones that raced in Aus and have not yet been done (that is most of them!).

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:55

There was a Vauxhall-powered MG or two...

One, IIRC, rolled at Altona and the driver was killed. Vauxhall 25hp gearboxes were popular, it seems, in WA to get a 4-speed of reasonable durability behind various Yankee engines. Chrysler and Ford V8.

There's a pretty good pic somewhere of an old Vauxhall at Foley's Hill.

#7 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:03

The Altona car you're thinking of is most likely the Ken Wylie-built Lombard-Vauxhall that Jack Lanham later succumbed to his injuries. IIRC, might be in the Steinfort collection now. The VSCC ended up running a special Templestowe Hillclimb meeting to benefit the Lanham family.

Stephen

#8 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:52

Despite the fact that the Coad/Roxburgh Vauxhall took the honours for the 1st Armstrong 500 on November 20, 1960, it wasn't until the 1962 event that it graced the programme cover. Although the same photo had previously graced the cover of the Dec 60/Jan 61 AMS.

1962_Armstrong_500_cover.jpg
image upload free

Stephen

#9 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:02

I assume you know about Bill Chadwick's 'Drainpipie Special'....if not, have a look here :-

http://www.thoroughb...ipe special.htm

#10 lyntonh

lyntonh

• 1,644 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:22

33_zps925bae2a.jpg

Oran Park 27th June 1970

#11 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:23

David Holyoake on [I think] his fathers 30-98 'Wensum'.

Holyoakes ran C.C. Tyres......remember C.C. Corner ?

#12 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:38

1963 Armstrong 500 at Bathurst. This cover of Nov 63 RCN shows the Fallu/Kratzman Vauxhall from Qld (prior to it falling over). There's also a photo of the SV McKay/Cusack #3D Vauxhall being chased by the O'shannesey/Brindley Holden S4 in the RCN report.

That same cover photo appears in the first edition of Tuckey's 'Australia's greatest motor race' book on page 94. While in the 30 years edition of the book (Ford Sierra dustjacket version) there's a colour photo of the McKay/Cusack car on page 50.

rcn_vauxhall.jpg
image url upload

Stephen

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 16:38

1962_Armstrong_500_cover.jpg

On behalf of the UK, which designed and built these dreadful rust-prone barges, may we apologise sincerely for inflicting them on Australia?

Although I don't suppose anyone here ever imagined that anyone would be dumb enough to race one....

#14 geoffd

geoffd

• 48 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 20:16

On behalf of the UK, which designed and built these dreadful rust-prone barges, may we apologise sincerely for inflicting them on Australia?

Although I don't suppose anyone here ever imagined that anyone would be dumb enough to race one....

There was one at Goodwood this year, although it broke down in practice and didn't race.

#15 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 22:41

It always surprised me that the photo of the 490 made the RCN cover when the car never actually started in the race. Surely a pic of the Jane/Firth Cortina GT should have graced the cover.

John, it was a strange choice, but I can only speculate that because RCN was published at the time by photography enthusiasts, the dramatics of the Valiant in the background got this photo the cover gig. One can also consider the fact that they had run the Firth Cortina on the October cover, so didn't want it again.

Also, given your photo hosting PITA comment in an earlier post, check out postimage by clicking on the link where I've posted an image. It's free, easy to sign up for and easy to use (if I can even master it).

Stephen

#16 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 23:12

I think you will find that local SA racing identity Clem Smith raced a Vauxhall in speedway in the late 50's early 60's with some success.

There is a picture of Clem on the Rowley Park facebook page about 3/4 down that page racing against Murray Parker.

https://www.facebook...183960991667694

Edited by fredeuce, 15 September 2014 - 23:13.

#17 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 23:34

Actually for the period they were not really rust prone, at least here in Oz. Slightly strange car in some ways and compared to a Holden expensive to fix. 

A mate still has his PAX, had it 45 years! They were reasonably classy, and well appointed for the era. The 2.6 and all sychro gearbox was a match for any thing sold here except a Valiant for performance.

#18 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 23:38

I think you will find that local SA racing identity Clem Smith raced a Vauxhall in speedway in the late 50's early 60's with some success.

There is a picture of Clem on the Rowley Park facebook page about 3/4 down that page racing against Murray Parker.

https://www.facebook...183960991667694

Hudson Terraplane. The engine was replaced with an Olds 90?  later in the piece.

That facebook pic has a few well known faces too. Including Murray Parker and Ross Hill. Both stockcar stalwarts of the day.

The Rowley Park Reunion is Sunday 21/9. Some of those blokes are sure to be there. Organised by Steve Stewart who has about 45 years of racing Sedans and Midgets.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 16 September 2014 - 23:40.

#19 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 23:52

Joe Blow succesfully raced a Vauxhall powered midget at Rowley Pk in the 60s. As did Murray Hoffmann. Possibly another too. In then a field that was majority grey Holdens. Probably E series engines at a guess.

There was a few Vauxhalls raced in sedans early on, late 60s without any great success. Though did ok.

I think their heyday was over with the HA Vivas. A truly dreadfull car!

Though the Torana XU1 was a extensively modified HC Viva. Really the base bodyshell. They too were not really a nice car, narrow gutted, steering wheel off centred to the pedals, you had to hold your right shoulder up too stop the seatbelt falling off.  They did make a decent race/rally car in the period though. Light and did not push a lot of air. And compared with the opposition of the day handled quite well, even with some average steering geometry.

On smooth roads the Cortina TC was about 100% better. On the rough, and hi speed motorsport the Torana was a far better weapon.

Advertisement

#20 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:35

Well done John. Looks like you've mastered postimage.

#21 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 22:11

Testing 123

scan0001.jpg
screengrab

490_20001.jpg
20mb image hosting

No wonder the 490 tripped and fell , he had Ian G up his clacker.

Check out the loading on the r/f tyre. Rolling over nearly to the rim. I suspect some more air in the tyre may have resolved some of that. Or maybe the 6 20x13 on the sidewall was the secret trick!  The positive camber achieved too must be throwing all sorts of load into the rim and stub axle. Neither of which were very strong.

I also get the illusion? that Pete has arrived there a lot faster too.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 20 September 2014 - 13:23.

#22 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:49

Wow, this stuff is terrific.

I had seen the pic of the 4/90 by itself but I had never seen the one with the Cortina in it.

My guess would have been that the Vauxhall has just passed the Cortina and was about to disappear into the distance  :wave: , but it is probably a matter of Cortina nudging the back of the Vauxy to get it out of the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to check my notes but I think a guy named Tattersall had an E model powered sprint car for a while.

Keep those clues coming guys, lots of unknown history to learn out there. Even if most folks have a bad attitude or dislike of Vauxhalls there are a few tragics out there who do give a damn.

Anyone know what ever happened to any of the cars? Even if it proves one was scrapped/written off at least it gives an end to that part of the story. 

#23 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 00:09

Checking out an AMS yesterday for Mt Druitt information and in the report for the 10/11/57 meeting there's a Vauxhall Vagabond run by 'McGregor' mentioned.

Stephen

#24 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 13:23

" More front end kneel than a camel facing Mecca ", as Romsey Quints would have said.

:clap:

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 16:00

... there's a Vauxhall Vagabond run by 'McGregor' mentioned.

Stephen

That had me Googling as I have never heard of a Vagabond.  It is of course a Velox, so why on earth was it dubbed Vagabond in the Australian market?  HArdly an approriate name for a family saloon, surely?  For some sort of pick-up truck maybe, but for the urban family?  

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 16:22

From memory, the Vagabond was a 4-cylinder car...

My uncle had one or two of these, they would have seen service on the spectator fences at Mt Druitt.

What about the 'Caliche' (sp?) model, did they happen in England?

#27 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 18:05

The Caleche seems to have been an open top version of the Wyvern.  Not sold in the UK AFAIK.

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:59

Yes, the earlier models, up to '51 or so...

They have a solid following, I gather.

#29 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:39

Wow, this stuff is terrific.

Anyone know what ever happened to any of the cars? Even if it proves one was scrapped/written off at least it gives an end to that part of the story. 

The 'Drainpipe Special' is currently for sale :-

Vauxhall Drain Pipe Special.

Built just post-war at Bathurst NSW by Bill Chadwick from the remains of a crashed 30/98 using a tubular frame of his own design. Mechanically rebuilt & performing well, see results of recent Rob Roy.

Rare opportunity to experience 30/98 performance without the price tag. Contact in the first instance,  

John Kent, ph. 0411 662031 or Douglas Heming 0457924780.

$75,000 ono.
                                                         More details ,   Click Here      vxhl-dp-fh-03.jpg   _______________________________________________________________________________________

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:43

That should be a pretty fat thing on the road...

I wonder what the front suspension is from.

#31 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:09

The Caleche was a 2 door convertible first released on the 4 cylinder 10hp H model Wyvern in 1937, built by Holden and only available in Australia. 

In 1949 the Caleche model was contiued into the new L model series and was available as both a 4 and 6 cylinder.

When the new E model came out in late 1952 the Caleche convertible was discontinued and in February 1953 the Vagabond was released. Again it was available as either a 4 or 6 cylinder and continued until the last were manufactured very early in 1955.

A couple of Vagabonds, as well as a couple of sedans, ran in the 1953 Redex Trial. I have a picture of a light coloured car Vagabond in a group photo at a Showgrounds (possibly Bathurst?) and another pic of a dark coloured car at a checkpoint somewhere.

McGregor does not ring a bell, I will look into that one thanks.

Leigh.

#32 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 00:42

Here's another lead for driver and event, obviously held prior to the 10/4/50 Bathurst meeting programme that it comes from.

1950_Bathurst_Vauxhall_ad.jpg
how to screenshot on windows 7

Stephen

#33 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 22:14

The VX-4/90 had 5 stud 14" wheels , same as the Velox. Needed to go over the Lockheed front disc brakes and calipers.

They had 4 stud rims like all Victors of that era. They had smaller brakes than a Cresta too. 

I have worked on them in the past.

Cresta rims were not very strong either though the 5" PCD sure helps over what is probably 4x4 1/4.

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 00:26

What size were the Cresta discs?

I see in an old road test that the engine had an alloy head with eight ports, a different crank and so on, it seems they did do a job producing this car.

But it says we had a 4.125:1 rear end out of a Victor wagon in our local cars rather than the 3.9:1 rear fitted in England.

#35 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:58

What size were the Cresta discs?

I see in an old road test that the engine had an alloy head with eight ports, a different crank and so on, it seems they did do a job producing this car.

But it says we had a 4.125:1 rear end out of a Victor wagon in our local cars rather than the 3.9:1 rear fitted in England.

PB Cresta I feel are a 10.88  solid rotor. The same as a HK Holden. I think!  Twin piston calliper with again from memory the same pad as a HK.

Victor, with twin carbs and better gearbox among other things had a smaller rotor and a smaller pad too.  About Escort. Mk1 Capri, HD Holden size. Probably the same. 

And Vauxhall Cresta is 5x5". Same as several pommy full size cars. Chevrolet is 4x75". 

Thew only 5x5 I know of from the US is Lincoln and F100.

I do have one 14x7 Aunger wheel in that pattern!

#36 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:24

A Sports Car World road test mentions the brake size for the VX 4/90 is 10.5"...

The smaller Pommie cars mostly had 9.5" discs apart from the Hillman Minx and Super Minx and the Humber Vogue (10.5"?) and so for the report to note the size of these brakes as 10.5" means they are something different.

Yes, Pommie cars (Rover, Austin-Morris, some Jaguar, Humber, maybe others) had 5 x 5.0", Chevrolet was 4 x 4.75", F100, however, was 5 x 5.5" like later Dodge pickups (c1976 and later) and the Imperials and big Chryslers through the sixties and seventies.

The Aunger wheel might be handy for a Healey...

I'm awaiting further confirmation, Lee. But at this stage I'd say the VX 4/90 had heavier underpinnings than the Victor.

Edited by Ray Bell, 25 September 2014 - 02:25.

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:24

Off topic, I know, but I am aware that Chev and Pontiac had different PCDs in America, while in Australia they were the same... I would have thought the Pontiac had 5"...

When did they go to 4.75"?

The specified tyre for the Australian VX 4/90 was 5:60 x 14, which doesn't sound like a Cresta wheel. I have no conclusive recognition yet of the wheel fixing for the Australian model.

#38 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:54

But that's not an Australian model...

That's my point, it might not have had those wheels here. Remember, to be eligible for Bathurst, the car had to be locally assembled in those years.

#39 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:05

If you guys check a wheel fitment chart , you'll see the the 1960's American Chevrolet has 5x120.6 PCD. 120.6 mm is 5.00"

Look at a ruler. 120.65 is 4 3/4. AFAIK Pontiacs all used 4 3/4 too. Late 50s and 60s defenitly. HQ-WB Holden too are the same bolt pattern.

Advertisement

#40 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:21

Well what is a twin carb Victor with floorshift gearbox and disc brakes. VX490 to me. And the one I worked on in the distant past had 4 stud rims and 5 60x14s on about a 4 or maybe 4.5"  rim.

Crestas used a 6 40x14 or so. On maybe a 5" wide rim.[ probably 4.5] Early PAs used 13" rims. Still 5 stud ofcourse.  E series were far larger though different to a FJ. With 5 90x15 like an FJ.

As for 5" F100s defenitly used 5". Except the few that use 4.5". 

Some of the classic speedway guys have used F100 rims on Austin diffs. Which are 5"! 

The poms used 5" on 13" [Landcrab] 14" Vauaxhall etc, 15" A90, Morris Isis etc and 16" Morris J, Vanguard etc

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:33

Good... thank you...

Now we have the conclusive answers to Lee's assertions above.

#42 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 19:28

I can't help feeling that some people here maybe need to get out more......

#43 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:53

Sorry Lee but I have to agree with DJH that the VX 4/90's all had 5 stud wheels.

The Standard Victors had 4 stud wheels and a 3 speed gearbox but lots of those were upgraded to 4 speeders, had 4/90 motors,etc fitted.

Not sure but I dont think brakes,etc were interchangeable with the Crestas, the 4/90 was a stand alone model.

#44 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:51

Originally posted by BRG
I can't help feeling that some people here maybe need to get out more...

There's been a post deleted, the one to which I was replying (by DJH, I'm pretty sure) in which he explained that he had an Australian production VX 4/90 for years and it had 5-stud wheels and that 900 of them were assembled between the Fishermens Bend and Pagewood GM-H plants.

Nevertheless, I agree with you...

#45 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:56

A few more leads.

29/11/52 Collingrove Hillclimb #50 W Vivian Vauxhall 14 1841cc

22-23/2/64 Lakeside International Event 3 #7 W J Jones Vauxhall 2240 - also possibly event 8 (if within the top 15 fastest). Christian name Bill I believe.

22/11/64 Lakeside Event 3 #15 W J Jones Vauxhall 2440. also entered in events 5 & 9.

29/11/64 Sandown 6 Hour #21 Straightway Motors John Roxburgh / Frank Coad Vauxhall Velox Tan/White 2650 Vic - had a moment at Peter's Corner

Stephen

#46 griffinvale

griffinvale

• 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 00:34

I have a DVD of the Sandown race, the Velox did indeed whack the wall at Peters and pulled up directly opposite the camera.

Interesting the color - Tan/White?  The film I have is B & W but the car looks very dark????????????

More work to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:23

I suspect that will be the Barry E from Alfa sourced DVD. That footage is from the UK sourced BMC Comps Dept film in B&W. But the original film was colour, The Vauxhall is tan & white in that.

Stephen

#48 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:45

Originally posted by cooper997
A few more leads.

.....22-23/2/64 Lakeside International Event 3 #7 W J Jones Vauxhall 2240 - also possibly event 8 (if within the top 15 fastest). Christian name Bill I believe.

22/11/64 Lakeside Event 3 #15 W J Jones Vauxhall 2440. also entered in events 5 & 9.....

This is the one I mentioned in Post 4. It was black or black and red or pink. There's a photo of it around somewhere, it was about a '60 model and it mixed it with the early Holdens.

His name was Bill, I wonder if he's still around?

Edited by Ray Bell, 29 September 2014 - 09:08.

#49 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:06

I would suggest that checking P27 of the November '64 RCN might be rewarding...

#50 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,850 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:18

The QRDC's 12/4/64 Lowood 4 hour meeting has the following Vauxhalls.

Event #3 Saloon Car Scratch Race - 6 laps.

18 W G Jones (Relief Driver G Clough) Vauxhall 2262cc - note that Jones is listed in this programme as W G, rather than W J in earlier postings on here. But I suspect W J is the correct initials.

Event #5 The Lowood 4 hour Production Touring Car Race

42 Clive Nolan Motors. Driver P Fallu. Co-driver L Vine Vauxhall VX490 Class D (cars costing £1201 to £2000). So this raises the possiblity that the car shown on the Racing Car News cover above (that fell over at Bathurst 1963) may have continued racing.

And taking Ray's cryptic lead, there's a photo of Jones Vauxhall out of control at the 11/10/64 Lowood meeting. He wore #15 that day. It's one of the late Brier Thomas' photos, so maybe the MGCC in Qld has it on file.

Stephen