2014 Italian Grand Prix Free Practice and Qualifying Thread

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#301 Ducks

Ducks

• 203 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 14:23

Great laps from Bottas and Hamilton.

I really hope Bottas can get infront of Rosberg at the start as he might be able to keep it through the race. :up:

Advertisement

#302 bub

bub

• 2,301 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 14:29

Supposed, he really does that. Does that mean that Rosberg will be fired and won't be at Mercedes next year?

I mean, didn't Wolff say that in case of another crash they will have another driver line-up in the future?

Apparently he said if they can't control the situation they might have to change the line up or something so I don't think it's as simple as 'one more crash and you're sacked'. I think it will take more than just one more incident but if Mercedes can't get the drivers to behave professionally, they will change the line up by the sounds of things. 

#303 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,517 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 15:02

Apparently he said if they can't control the situation they might have to change the line up or something so I don't think it's as simple as 'one more crash and you're sacked'. I think it will take more than just one more incident but if Mercedes can't get the drivers to behave professionally, they will change the line up by the sounds of things. 

Exactly.

It was very different from "Just one more crash".

#304 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 517 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 18:49

The wild card tomorrow is Massa. One thing Felipe can do is get rocket starts, and he will be motivated to show well at Monza.  If I were starting in the 3rd row, I would hang back a bit and see how things sort out. If I were on the front row, I would be more than a little concerned. That first corner will be interesting.

#305 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,893 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 19:50

This night I dreamt Rocket Raccoon was on pole for a second Belgium GP. But he had suffered a massive crash and his participation in the race was doubtful. The doctors advised against it, but his manager said he'd be fine and his DNA would somehow make him recover quickly and fully. I don't know why.

#306 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,372 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:12

This night I dreamt Rocket Raccoon was on pole for a second Belgium GP. But he had suffered a massive crash and his participation in the race was doubtful. The doctors advised against it, but his manager said he'd be fine and his DNA would somehow make him recover quickly and fully. I don't know why.

Congratulations: you just inspired me to write a story in which the villain is someone who's genetically engineered his cells to replicate a full version of himself should any part of him be harmed, making him virtually unkillable a la John Carpenter's Thing. :p

#307 dave34m

dave34m

• 477 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:49

Enjoy it while it last, Hamster. We know you'll mess it up somehow tomorrow. 

Lol, Massa will get him in turn 1

#308 dave34m

dave34m

• 477 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:50

Enjoy it while it last, Hamster. We know you'll mess it up somehow tomorrow. 

Lol, Massa will get him in turn 1

#309 sv401

sv401

• 742 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:17

This track will show whether Red Bull's blame on Renault were right or not. This is a power-dominant track where RB were struggling in 2010 and 2012, so if they can be right in the leading pack here, the deficit of 60 HP was just a naughty lie. 60 HP means a loss of about 1,4 seconds. There is not a single magical rear wing which makes up that time even when it is designed by a certain Adrian Newey.

I always doubted that and I think that blame was just another nasty, cheeky move which usually makes RB unsympatethitc in many people's eyes.

Well, the expected difference is there:

8    Sebastian Vettel    Red Bull/Renault    1m25.436s    1.327s
9    Daniel Ricciardo    Red Bull/Renault    1m25.709s    1.600s

Maybe the power deficit is not just a naughty lie after all (if only it was, the team would have a much better chance of catching up), and people who find RB unsympathetic - usually becuase of preventing their favorite drivers from winning for years - are just looking for any excuse to bash the team ?

#310 pdac

pdac

• 844 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:28

Well, the expected difference is there:

8    Sebastian Vettel    Red Bull/Renault    1m25.436s    1.327s
9    Daniel Ricciardo    Red Bull/Renault    1m25.709s    1.600s

Maybe the power deficit is not just a naughty lie after all (if only it was, the team would have a much better chance of catching up), and people who find RB unsympathetic - usually becuase of preventing their favorite drivers from winning for years - are just looking for any excuse to bash the team ?

How does that compare to Ferrari, though. The Ferrari teams seem to be quite a way away from the Merc teams too.

#311 sv401

sv401

• 742 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:37

How does that compare to Ferrari, though. The Ferrari teams seem to be quite a way away from the Merc teams too.

They might be, but I do not think Red Bull claimed a major Renault vs. Ferrari power deficit recently, only Renault vs. Mercedes, which, while the exact number is debatable, seems quite plausible.