Photo

Motor Cycle Racing Helmets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dundrod

dundrod

• 4 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:19

I would love to find out who the first UK rider was seen racing on any circuit in England Ireland or the IOM 

wearing a full face helmet for the first time that came on the market approx early seventies.

Prior to the full face was the open face which covered the ears and of course the half or pudding base helmet 

which was used for a long time.

I read the Albert Pagani  in 1969 was the first rider in Italy to wear a AGV full face helmet.

It was the beginning of a new era as riders started to wear non black leathers and started to place sponsors 

names on their bikes.

Bell helmets were famous brand and might even could have been a rider from the USA - would apprciate your help.

Advertisement

#2 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 644 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 15:34

Interesting one this, i'm sure I've seen reference to the first person to wear a full face helmet in the UK before but I cant remember who it was.

Slightly off topic but you also mention coloured leathers, that one is a bit easier, i'm pretty sure that one of the first, if not THE first to appear in coloured leathers happens to post on here from time to time, under the user name of 'Yendor'

Edited by Paul Collins, 07 September 2014 - 08:47.

#3 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,973 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 16:03

Peter Williams was at least one of the first ones

http://www.classic-m...e-tubbergen.htm

#4 dundrod

dundrod

• 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 13:24

Thanks ever so much for your help -- I am still guessing at the moment - Indeed Peter Williams would have been one of the first to use full face helmet along with Tony Rutter etc but I would like to narrow it down even to the first few as it must have been a big talking point.

As for leathers I can remember a USA rider Bill Boyd competing in the N/West 200 around 1965 and he wore non black leathers in fact I am nearly sure they were white.

#5 tonyed

tonyed

• 486 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:23

Rods leathers were not coloured in the traditional sense but were black with white stripes down the arms.

I seem to remember Brian Kemp having one on the early Bell full face helmets. I had one on the very first Shoeis imported but by that time full face helmets were very common.

#6 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 1,973 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:05

There is nothing new under the sun

http://forums.autosp...cycle-leathers/

#7 dundrod

dundrod

• 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:50

I have sent Brian Kemp a message for him to confirm if he was the first rider in the UK to wear a full face helmet - cheers for all your help

#8 dundrod

dundrod

• 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 20:56

I have not heard from Brian Kemp I assume he still lives in England?