* * * * * 3 votes

Button: FIA views more aggressive racing is better for the sport

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:57

According to Button FIA is wants more aggressive racing, presumably, to enhance the show...

"They were never going to penalise him (Niko) anyway, because as we all discussed about four races ago, we needed to be more lenient on drivers because we wanted more aggressive racing. If it had happened four races ago, I'm sure Nico would have got penalised because that sort of incident always got penalised.   But these days, in the last few races, it has been viewed that more aggressive racing is better for the sport, so you let things go a little bit more.”

Source: Formula1.com article

What say you?

Please note that this is not another Nico vs. Lewis issue but discussion of more aggressive racing.   Mods: I did not see any existing and suitable topic this would fit, if there is one please feel free to append to it...

Advertisement

#2 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:05

Giving more freedom for the drivers to fight means that they'll be ready to take more risks. Because they don't need to fear penalties for ridiculous things like has happened in previous years. (such as clear normal racing incident)

It's not like FIA tells the drivers to do stupid things.

It indeed is better for the sport if the drivers can think about racing and not about getting a drive through for a little tap.

#3 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:07

It's just a process of finding a nice balance, and I think it is good that it seems to be coming back somewhat from the heavy-handed meddling of the stewards in previous years.

As shown in the last race, shenanigans such as those by Magnussen are still penalized, so it's not as if F1 has suddenly become a free for all.

Edited by Nonesuch, 05 September 2014 - 13:07.

#4 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,068 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:09

Can't say I approve. This will encourage risky behaviour and then some more...

#5 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 13:28

I like the new FIA stance; its what we've all been wanting to I'm not going to complain. The racing has been great since the rule came in before Austria. 

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,338 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 14:33

Can't say I approve. This will encourage risky behaviour and then some more...

Who knows what might happen - drivers might start deliberately ramming others, getting away with it, doing it again and still race in F1!

#7 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 15:18

I like aggressive but clean racing as good as the next guy, but when FIA makes this kind of statement to drivers they are essentially admitting that they have over-regulated that aspect of racing as well.   It is like DRS, a new quick and dirty Charlie gadget to fix unintended consequences of over-regulated car designs.  

Whatever they do, they need to be consistent about it, at least, within that season.  These types of undocumented gray communications messing with driver psychology and behavior could be dangerous.

#8 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 15:40

Who knows what might happen - drivers might start deliberately ramming others, getting away with it, doing it again and still race in F1!

Come on, let's not drag Senna and Schumacher into this.   ;)

#9 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 15:46

This thread really isn't going to end well.. *steps away slowly*

#10 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 16:02

Come on, let's not drag Senna and Schumacher into this.   ;)

I think they were a little too blatant, even for the FIA. You'd have to be a bit clever to get away with it these days. Multilingual maybe?

#11 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,185 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 16:21

'Have at it Boys' © NASCAR

Jp

#12 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 16:25

More lenient stewarding and wanting to promote more aggressive driving have absolutely nothing at all whatsoever with the Rosberg/Hamilton incident at Spa since that was a normal and typical racing incident that has happened thousands of times before and happens every season - a touch between the front wing and the rear wheel. 

To the actual topic - interferring less and letting more incidents pass without punishment is a good thing, not a bad thing. They've just taken out the stupid judging part of stewarding. 

And Button is a whiner. Unrelated to the thread topic. 

Edited by LuckyStrike1, 05 September 2014 - 16:26.

#13 Lazy

Lazy

• 6,725 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 16:30

I think they were a little too blatant, even for the FIA. You'd have to be a bit clever to get away with it these days. Multilingual maybe?

Cerebral, I would hazard.

#14 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,597 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 19:09

They are turning tracks into car parks, so what can happen? A fender bender and then you go on after exploring the tarmac runoffs?

#15 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:57

According to Button FIA is wants more aggressive racing, presumably, to enhance the show...

"They were never going to penalise him (Niko) anyway, because as we all discussed about four races ago, we needed to be more lenient on drivers because we wanted more aggressive racing. If it had happened four races ago, I'm sure Nico would have got penalised because that sort of incident always got penalised.   But these days, in the last few races, it has been viewed that more aggressive racing is better for the sport, so you let things go a little bit more.”

What say you?

Please note that this is not another Nico vs. Lewis issue but discussion of more aggressive racing.   Mods: I did not see any existing and suitable topic this would fit, if there is one please feel free to append to it...

I don't know what he is talking about.

Lewis punctured Seb's tyre the same way in turn 1 of British GP a few seasons ago (the season Webber said "not bad for a #2 driver").  Last year or the year before, Massa and Lewis tangled a lot and in one case in Singapore Lewis punctured Massa's tyre.  Pretty sure Webber punctured Lewis' at Singapore a few years ago as well.  There are probably more examples.  Alonso almost did it to Seb last race, made contact but no puncture.  Sometimes it's a puncture and sometimes it's not.  Seems blind luck when it's a puncture or not.

Basically the driver infront turns across and the driver behind is sort of stuck in no mans land, half way between being alongside and backing off completely.  It's easy to slow mo it, but it happens all in the blink of an eye and happens in racing quite a lot.  It's happened in F1 quite a lot and is one of those random luck things.

Can't remember any of them being penalised?  It seems like a really short memory short sighted view.

#16 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:14

As shown in the last race, shenanigans such as those by Magnussen are still penalized, so it's not as if F1 has suddenly become a free for all.

Except only 2 races before that Vettel did the same thing (moved over pretending TWO drivers weren't there) and actually HIT Raikkonen taking a little piece of his front wing off.  There wasn't even an investigation for that one, let alone a penalty.  The only thing consistent about F1 stewards is their inconsistency.

#17 coppilcus

coppilcus

• 2,009 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 19:47

All the ones involved should worry more about the interpretation of the rules at hand and how to achieve the most consistency in every judgement made, than telling the stewards which rules they've to ignore... It's ridiculous.

#18 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 20:58

Slashing a tire rarely is punished. It's like brake testing. Button is wrong on that.

Anyway, less investigations is ok. But someday Rosberg or someone will take it tio far and we get another clamp down on dirty racing.

#19 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:25

Button is spot on here. How many here that praised the leniency of the new rule were then calling for Nico to get a penalty? You have to take the good with the bad.

Advertisement

#20 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,200 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:21

Except only 2 races before that Vettel did the same thing (moved over pretending TWO drivers weren't there) and actually HIT Raikkonen taking a little piece of his front wing off. There wasn't even an investigation for that one, let alone a penalty. The only thing consistent about F1 stewards is their inconsistency.

That's stewarding in general, my friend, from club racing on up to pro racing. Was at a club race last weekend in which I observed a driver make a pass under yellows in a very unsafe manner (passed the car by going off-track towards the incident, actually) and not even receive a warning despite two separate reports of the incident to race control.

And surely you heard of the debacle that occcurred at this year's 12 Hours of Sebring, in which IMSA stewards penalised the wrong car for avoidable contact, and the car that should've been penalised won the race?

Stewarding screw-ups happen. At least with the inconsistency we can be sure there's not any favouritism at play. :stoned:

#21 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:26

I think Button has got it wrong. It' s not more aggressive racing, but less inconsistent nanny state rulings that is better for the sport.

#22 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:48

.  Sometimes it's a puncture and sometimes it's not.  Seems blind luck when it's a puncture or not.

It all depends on where the contact is on the tire.

Nico hit the tire Sidewall with the side of his wing or end plate.

It ALWAYS leads to a puncture when that happens.

FA ran into the back of Vettels tire not the side wall and he hit it straight on, not with the side of his wing or end plate.

That never ends in a puncture.

#23 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:02

We've complained about overuse of penalties for racing incidents which wasn't happening 10 years ago. We've been heard and changes were implemented.

One issue solved - 76.3 to go...

#24 Al.

Al.

• 1,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:22

What say you?

It wasn't the FIA it was the teams that wanted more leniency with regards to on track contact.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114528

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/114595

#25 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:02

That's stewarding in general, my friend, from club racing on up to pro racing. Was at a club race last weekend in which I observed a driver make a pass under yellows in a very unsafe manner (passed the car by going off-track towards the incident, actually) and not even receive a warning despite two separate reports of the incident to race control.

And surely you heard of the debacle that occcurred at this year's 12 Hours of Sebring, in which IMSA stewards penalised the wrong car for avoidable contact, and the car that should've been penalised won the race?

Stewarding screw-ups happen. At least with the inconsistency we can be sure there's not any favouritism at play. :stoned:

That's one way of looking at it I guess.  :lol:

#26 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

• 701 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:14

Before, people used to complain a lot, including here on this forum, that the FIA is too strict and that penalties are given way too easy and often!

Now, it's not good either for some people, because many believe Rosberg should have recieved one. If that was a mistake, let's call it a racing incident, but if those articles are true about him admitting he did it on purpose, then he really deserves to start at the back of the grid at the next race imo.

Edited by Heisenberg, 07 September 2014 - 09:15.

#27 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:29

I wholeheartedly agree with the FIA. Enough of the boring, sterile, over-regulated, pussy driving. Now all they have to do is make the front wings smaller, the tyres wider to compensate, and we get some excitement back.