Photo

Fair warning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:28

The time it takes to load any individual page from this website (and not only this one, I might add) has become plainly ridiculous. What makes me particularly furious about this is that it is only the ads that load slowly, and restrict the performance of the whole web site. Now, I don't mind ads, and I know they are of vital interest to the provider (i.e. Autosport), but this has become a chicken and egg situation. I already come here far less frequently than I used to, because of the annoying tardiness of the site, and this trend will most certainly continue because quite frankly it pisses me off to wait several seconds for each page to load; sometimes even the whole site crashes because of this.

Do you want ads or customers? And how long do you think you will continue to attract ads when your customers stay away??

You should seriously consider speeding up the performance of your ads, or you will lose customers!

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:40

Michael - as I'm sure you're aware different markets get served different adverts, based on your IP address. And whatever market you're in they are provided by a third party, not directly by Autosport. So it may be that this is a problem exclusive to Germany - or even something to do with your ISP.

Even so, it might be worth experimenting a little: does this happen on all browsers? Or only one? Have you tried clearing Autosport.com cookies and browser caches? Do you regularly scan for and delete tracking cookies? If none of those works, it may be worth flushing your DNS cache to see if that makes a difference. Alternatively, try a different DNS server.

Have you tried accessing the site from a different location like an internet cafe? Or on another computer outside your home? Does it still happen?

Of course you may have already tried these, in which case it's Grayson's pigeon ...

#3 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:54

I have tried none of these, and I'm not going to... I am a CUSTOMER!!!, and I want to be treated as such, is that too much to ask for???

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:55

Michael - I also help out on a Firefox user site and I can tell you from experience that at least 90% of problems like this can be solved by the few basic housekeeping methods above. If you're seeing consistent slow loading then the chances are pretty high that the cause is at your end and that only you - the customer - can fix it. Nobody but you can remove a corrupted cookie, clear history clogging up your cache or DNS cache or change your DNS settings.

If you have never flushed your DNS cache - and I guess you haven't - try that first. It takes just seconds.

http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

#5 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:50

Now it's not only slow loading, but the browser crashes three times out of four when visiting Autosport. Obviously, you're not willing to listen - have a nice life. :wave:

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:17

Did you try any of my previous suggestions? Because as I pointed out two years ago, if the problem is at your end, we can't fix it from here. If it was a more general problem, we would be flooded with complaints. Since we're not, that suggests this slow loading and crashing is peculiar to you. In the interim since then Autosport has moved servers in order to give more capacity and reliability. Your computer may not be recognising this and simply clearing your cookies, cache or DNS cache may solve it - as I recall one or more of those worked for some people who had similar issues around the time of the change a few months ago.

You haven't told us what browser or operating system you're using either. That's a bit like walking into a garage and telling the mechanic that your car won't start and then not even telling him if it's a Ford, an Opel or an Audi and if it uses petrol or diesel. The mechanic can of course come round and have a look at it. We can't ...

#7 Gretsch

Gretsch

• 1,397 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 16:16

Hehe, if I'm not mistaken it's not only the servers that has changed between his posts, the whole site is new? But surely you can send a mechanic over? Just charge him by the hour.

#8 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 19:11

What a silly display of pique.  :down:

#9 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 13:56

Well, someone complaining about the ads loading slowly is not exactly a customer anyway, since subscribers benefit from an ad-free environment. He is merely the user of a service provided by Autosport at no charge. Feedback is of course welcome, but tantrums less so, especially if help is so swiftly discarded.