Photo
* * - - - 11 votes

Was Rosberg missing the chicane his 'penalty'?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:19

So apparently Jordan said that on social media people saying Rosberg missed the chicane as part of his penalty for Belgium? Just how far do conspiracy theories go really.  :lol:

Advertisement

#2 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:22

Nah, driver error.

#3 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:22

That was my first tought aswell.

It just looked so staged and the first time he did was just so that he wouldn't run away from Lewis.

#4 Masteroftheuniverse

Masteroftheuniverse

• 252 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:24

Thought it was a genuine error, but Wolff's reaction to it was odd.

#5 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:24

grandpa_e3efae_976974.gif

#6 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 453 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:28

Let me get this straight. You're asking fans whether a rumour they created is factual or not? Just because Eddie Jordan asks a question he sees the fans suggesting, this does not give the rumour any credibility whatsoever. It's ludicrous. No.

#7 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:29

I think that the real problem is that, typically those that ask this type of question now. Refused to ask the equivalent 'question' at Spa. That is where it gets a little unbalanced. :)

#8 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:30

Let me get this straight. You're asking fans whether a rumour they created is factual or not? Just because Eddie Jordan asks a question he sees the fans suggesting, this does not give the rumour any credibility whatsoever. It's ludicrous. No.

I know, conspiracy theories are getting too much. The fans should stay realistic.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 07 September 2014 - 14:30.

#9 Arska

Arska

• 944 posts

Do you think Eddie was the only one who had that thought? I immediately thought "well ain't that convenient" during the race.

#10 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Not impossible. 

Wolff's reaction is a strong indicator. That and why wasn't Rosberg pissed at himself at the end? He was in an unusually calm and cheerful mood. 

Edited by Cyanide, 07 September 2014 - 14:31.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

We have about as much chance of finding this out as finding out whether Rosberg missed his braking point at Monaco deliberately.

However much one wants to believe it, Rosberg's similar brake problems at Spa make a non-conspiracy explanation pretty convincing.

Toto Wolff's reaction was weird but Toto Wolff is weird.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Now, that would be a great way to ensure that pretty much every "side" would hate it if the other won the title...

But, nah - I highly, highly doubt that it is even close to the truth. It was indeed strange to see Wolff's reaction, but that's not much of a "team order" indicator... Nope, we've seen both Rosberg and Hamilton doing mistakes earlier this year, and it will probably happen later on as well!

#13 Sennasational

Sennasational

• 453 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:35

Do you think Eddie was the only one who had that thought? I immediately thought "well ain't that convenient" during the race.

So Rosberg was just practicing I guess when he did it earlier in the race. Yes, ok...still no. I've had enough of the conspiracy ridiculousness. Stop it, stop encouraging it.

#14 RubalSher

RubalSher

• 3,944 posts

Nico clearly apologized to his engineer at the end of the race for his mistakes. No substance in the question being asked in this thread.

#15 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

I thought it was amusing, especially in light of how the usual suspects have been claiming that Rosberg is such a fantastic driver that he never makes a mistake unless it's deliberate. :p

But whatever the case, it's not the first time Mercedes cars have had similar issues, or that drivers have made mistakes. Whatever the truth, we'll likely never know. :up:

#16 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:37

Thought it was a genuine error, but Wolff's reaction to it was odd.

He smiled, yes, probably from relief. I am sure they braced themselves for the fight that was just a few laps up and then suddenly it was over. Without blood.

#17 Lambo

Lambo

• 45 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:37

Rosberg has made loads of mistakes this year, he has just always lucked into benefitting from them. Monaco, Canada: first corner, nearly hit wall after pit stop, cut the chicane, straight on at 1st corner Hungary qualifying, Spa etc etc. So no surprise, just good to see a mistake get penalised and a Lewis problem not ruining his day.

#18 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:38

Was driver error nothing more. These conspiracy theorists keep trying to come up with crazier things each week. :rolleyes:

#19 jee

jee

• 1,285 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:39

He missed it on purpose to avoid the direct battle.

Advertisement

#20 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,502 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:40

No.

Rosberg has locked up like that many times this year.

#21 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:40

Still I belive it was just a mistake; however.... the disturbing part was the grin on Toto's face after Nico's problem  :well: Anyway, probably it was just a show of relief of a non incident.

#22 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:42

Not a chance. The first lockup was done whilst Massa was in 2nd, or do you think the Merc bigwigs would want to advantage a rival team?

#23 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,568 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:42

Rosberg does it almost every single race.

I don't know if it his setup or bad judgetment or brake problem, but almost every race he does a miss and gets out.

Edited by Boxerevo, 07 September 2014 - 14:43.

#24 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:44

Well we've seen crazier things; we all thought Piquet's crash in Singapore in 2008 was just another one of his usual errors and it turned out a little bit different. I don't believe in these conspiracy theories either, but I'm just not ruling out the possibility.

Edited by Raikkonen94, 07 September 2014 - 14:44.

#25 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:46

I think it's more likely that Rosberg parked it in Monaco, purposely gave Hamilton a puncture in Spa and Mercedes purposely sabotaged Hamilton's car to give him brake failures and fires. I don't believe any of these theories. The only one I give any chance of being true is Monaco.

#26 ardbeg

ardbeg

• 2,876 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:46

I think the current crop of F1 cars have brakes that you just need to trust. There are no throttle overlap, very little trail braking and so on, so you just need to turn them on at exactly the right time. We have seen quite a few issues on Merc, Hamilton at A1 for instance, and within other teams as well. A lot of the braking skill has moved from the drivers to the engineers.

Edited by ardbeg, 07 September 2014 - 14:47.

#27 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:47

No.

#28 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:47

So, was it like the softcore version of Piquet Jr's crashgate?

Edited by NoSanityClause, 07 September 2014 - 14:48.

#29 jcpower13

jcpower13

• 891 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:49

I don't know if it his setup or bad judgetment or brake problem, but almost every race he does a miss and gets out.

Maybe using Lewis' data he's trying to brake as late as he does and just doesn't have the talent to do it consistently.

#30 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:49

Was driver error nothing more. These conspiracy theorists keep trying to come up with crazier things each week. :rolleyes:

Alonso, deliberately parking that Ferrari in protest at Cordero di Montezemolo's imminent departure from Ferrari. And the look in his eye when he did it.

#31 Imateria

Imateria

• 2,424 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:56

We've seen Rosberg make mistakes whilst breaking in Canada, Austria and Spa off the top of my head all whilst either leading or chasing. This is nothing new for him and anyone that really thinks that a driver chasing the championship will gladly throw away a race win is a few spanners short of a full toolbox.

#32 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:57

For me, it's pretty clear that Nico made the mistake. All this talk of him letting Lewis by on purpose is pure rubbish. Why would his race engineer go to all the hassle to hide info from Lewis by making Nico respond through the steering wheel buttons or give him instructions on race pace etc. Secondly, Both Mercs have been running into issues at Reffitilo all weekend long.

Making Nico look like a second tier driver by forcing him to make a mistake is not the right type of penalty. If you truly think he deserves a penalty, you give preferential treatment to Lewis for one race in terms of new parts, or strategy or something like that. At the end of the day, Spa was a +18 for Nico and Monza was a +7 for Lewis so you can't just say that things are even.

Again, I think all of this is BS and that Nico made a genuine driver error. The first time he did it you could see he had locked the left rear

Edited by S3baman, 07 September 2014 - 14:58.

#33 WelshSwan

WelshSwan

• 1,013 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:58

I didn't think anything of it until they showed Wolff's reaction to what had happened. It was quite strange to see him smiling after one of his driver's has messed up and at the time they didn't know whether he might have caused damage to his car....I don't know but his reaction didn't sit right with me.

#34 P123

P123

• 23,842 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 14:59

Wouldn't they just have given him a 'Lewis start' if they were that way inclined?

Edited by P123, 07 September 2014 - 15:00.

#35 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:07

Nico gifted this win to Lewis, so apperent. It seems the smack on the wrist extended to the track. Let's hope that "real" racing begins in the next round. 

No matter how hollow this win is I'm sure Lewis fans will rejoice, what else is there to do considering team orders.

#36 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:07

I didn't think anything of the steward with the pellet gun, until I saw gutierrez's sauber.

#37 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:10

This is pretty ludicrous. That is all.

#38 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:11

I didn't think anything of it until they showed Wolff's reaction to what had happened. It was quite strange to see him smiling after one of his driver's has messed up and at the time they didn't know whether he might have caused damage to his car....I don't know but his reaction didn't sit right with me.

I suspect he was smiling at the irony of Lewis being ordered to hang back and then him passing 2 laps later. I also think that nico hasn't won many friends with his 'point proving'

#39 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:13

Not impossible. 

Wolff's reaction is a strong indicator. That and why wasn't Rosberg pissed at himself at the end? He was in an unusually calm and cheerful mood. 

toto has smiled straight after lewis has had problems this season,and why did they tell lewis to stay 2.5 seconds behind,if they were planning on gifting him the win?

Edited by f1supreme, 07 September 2014 - 15:17.

Advertisement

#40 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:14

Nico gifted this win to Lewis, so apperent. It seems the smack on the wrist extended to the track. Let's hope that "real" racing begins in the next round. 

No matter how hollow this win is I'm sure Lewis fans will rejoice, what else is there to do considering team orders.

Some may claim your comments suit your name perfectly.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 07 September 2014 - 15:17.

#41 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:15

what like telling lewis to stay 2.5 seconds behind?if lewis had of done that,then what?and what about the car glitch lewis had at the start which made him fall back to fourth.

#42 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:15

I suspect he was smiling at the irony of Lewis being ordered to hang back and then him passing 2 laps later. I also think that nico hasn't won many friends with his 'point proving'

Posters were called foolish before while trying to analyse Toto's facial expressions.  The boot seems to be on the other foot today.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 07 September 2014 - 15:19.

#43 f1supreme

f1supreme

• 2,828 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:16

exactly,in so many races this season nico has made the same mistake.

#44 OO7

OO7

• 23,378 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:17

what like telling lewis to stay 2.5 seconds behind?if lewis had of done that,then what?and what about the car glitch lewis had at the start which made him fall back to fourth.

The team are still sabotaging Lewis but he will 'Rise Above It'.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 07 September 2014 - 15:19.

#45 Toxicant

Toxicant

• 2,192 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:22

They say that crap just to apease the fans, the whole thing was I'm sure the plan from the begining. Has one forgotten that Bernie is in charge and it's all about the show? Perhaps the "glitch" in the begining wasn't the plan but they had a back up plan and it was practiced before the race.

#46 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:26

He smiled, yes, probably from relief. I am sure they braced themselves for the fight that was just a few laps up and then suddenly it was over. Without blood.

Agreed. Wolff was more than happy to avoid another situation after laying down the law in Spa.

#47 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,942 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:32

Anyone got a gif of the 2nd incident?

I didn't see much tire smoke but maybe he just broke too late

#48 Coral

Coral

• 6,682 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:36

Nico made mistakes because he is rattled, pure and simple. This conspiracy theory is nonsense. Toto was most likely smiling because Mercedes scored an emphatic 1-2 without a driver collision. The team's hashtag this weekend was #noSPArring. And that's what we got! :D

#49 george1981

george1981

• 1,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:37

I think I know what's going on. Mercedes meant to give Rosberg the dodgy race start settings but they accidentally put them on Hamilton's car. They then had to order Rosberg to let Hamilton through and it look like a mistake or else he'd get the same punishment he got at Spa (sent to bed with no dinner). It all makes sense now.

#50 sportingcp

sportingcp

• 246 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:46

It´s not impossible, but I think it was only a mistake.. I must say that i´m surprised with how many mistakes Rosberg is making to be honest. I think he is a very good driver but he simply makes too many mistakes in the most important moments. At this point, with all the misfortune Lewis is having the championship should already be "sealed". If it was Alonso driving that car it certainly would be already decided, no doubt.