• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:03

Crash.net F1 ā€@crash_F1  1m
BREAKING: Caterham confirms Christijan Albers has resigned as CEO, with Manfredi Ravetto taking over with immediate effect #F1
4:01 PM - 7 Sep 2014 

F***ing hell. All kicking off...

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:03

Well, that didn't take long. He was there for how long, 1 month?

#3 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:04

The Kolles effect.

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:06

Crikey, what's going in Caterham then? Are the new owners in trouble already, and is Albers just the first casualty?

There's been football managers in position longer than this.

#5 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:07

Personal reasons, apparently: http://www.f1fanatic...rture-caterham/

#6 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:16

Might have something to do with his wife, who was recovering from cancer. That always puts extra strain on the family.

#7 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,998 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:16

There's been football managers in position longer than this.

Still not been an F1 boss sitting for just 10 minutes though! :)

#8 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:33

So Albers had just 5 Grand Prix as team principal - is that a record?

And who is that Manfredi Ravetto. He is working with Kolles for years at Force India and HRT. Has anyone more details about him?

#9 pdac

pdac

• 17,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:36

Yeah right. I prefer the report that said he quit because the investors didn't live up to their promises,

#10 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:42

Has anyone ever genuinely left their position to spend more time with their family?

#11 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 15:48

Caterham with three team principals in one year: Fernandes, Albers, Ravetto - that must be a record...

#12 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 16:05

Not too surprising. Never understood why Albers was made teamboss of an F1 team. He's had zero experience, except his racing career.

#13 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 2,856 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 16:14

This looks like a dismissal. IIRC Kolles sacked him when he was a driver. I don't know why press officers insist on releasing unbelievable rubbish for the gullible to swallow. "Personal Reasons" indeed......

Edited by Petroltorque, 07 September 2014 - 17:01.

#14 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 16:47

At this point in time, I struggle to care about this team. I just wish that Koba can find a race seat for next year, he's a problem driver that is not afraid of wheel to wheel racing yet he doesn't put in danger the other drivers as much as these new GP2 boys.

#15 Viceroy

Viceroy

• 412 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 17:28

Albers wants to spend more time with his family -  he seems to be surprised that being a team boss turned out to be more time-consuming than a 9 to 5 job. Oh well, how could he know.

#16 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 17:31

Has anyone ever genuinely left their position to spend more time with their family?

Albers wife was diagnosed with cancer about two years back, she was treated but the disease came back.

Perhaps hard to understand for the keyboard warriors

#17 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 17:32

This could have been added to the original ongoing  caterham post as that has become the go to place for caterham news.

Edited by iii, 07 September 2014 - 17:34.

#18 pdac

pdac

• 17,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 17:39

Albers wife was diagnosed with cancer about two years back, she was treated but the disease came back.

I am well prepared to believe that this may well have had a bearing on his decision, but I still find this part of the statement odd:

Due to private reasons and in order to be able to spend more time with my family, I will resign from my position as CEO of Caterham F1 Team. I wish the team all the best in the futureā€Ž.

If he had just stated "Due to private reasons", then I would accept that. But to add the stock phrase "spend more time with my family" lead the cynic in me to feel that there's more to it than that.

#19 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 17:56

Sure that must be one big reason.

But it appears things look quite different in Dutch.

SenorSjon quote from Caterham thread;

Albers quit today as investors didn't keep their promises. He was tired of closing the gaps (explains the seat selling). It was just on the dutch Sport1 channel (haven't seen it myself, but from a Dutch forum).

Edit:

https://twitter.com/...613607698219008

That seems very different landscape from what's reported in English, I should say.

Also, even if he had to leave for whatever reasons, they couldve chosen better timing and manner to announce it, instead of immediately after the race. Plus after Q1 yesterday, it was captured by TV that Albers was being reported by Kobayashi and he looked rather fine and happy. Today, he's gone suddenly. Very strange. Something fishy is going on.

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,774 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 18:15

When your job is intolerable that's when you miss your family most.

#21 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 18:24

That seems very different landscape from what's reported in English, I should say.

Also, even if he had to leave for whatever reasons, they couldve chosen better timing and manner to announce it, instead of immediately after the race. Plus after Q1 yesterday, it was captured by TV that Albers was being reported by Kobayashi and he looked rather fine and happy. Today, he's gone suddenly. Very strange. Something fishy is going on.

Kravitz did report similar in his post race 'notebook' segment on Sky: that Albers was on the verge of quitting as promised funds hadn't been forthcoming from investors, and he was therefore unable to pay suppliers ,etc. If you add in the health issues for his family I think it's understandable why trying to run Caterham F1 on thin air would be an unwelcome added pressure.

#22 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 18:35

Caterham might not be in Singapore?

#23 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:35

Not being able to pay suppliers, especially when they are good reliable companies, and possibly on the verge of going bust themselves if payment isn't forthcoming is a very stressful position to be in. Three or four months of having to dodge those phone calls, and I nthink all of us would have had enough.