Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Luca di Montezemolo has stood down as chairman of Ferrari, Marchionne new president

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 zapppa83

zapppa83

• 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:57

Seems official.

http://www.sportmedi...residente.shtml

Edited by zapppa83, 10 September 2014 - 06:59.

Advertisement

#2 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:58

It's official: Luca di Montezemolo has stood down as chairman of Ferrari

#3 zapppa83

zapppa83

• 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:00

1. BxJzXpAIQAEDyRo.png

Edited by zapppa83, 10 September 2014 - 07:00.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:03

Di Montezemolo: "Ferrari is the most wonderful company in the world. It has been a great privilege and honour to have been its leader."

#5 zapppa83

zapppa83

• 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:04

I think it's a bad decision.

LDM is Ferrari.

Marchionne not, he thinks he's the king of the world.

#6 blacky

blacky

• 2,360 posts

We will see what that means for ALO, he was strongly linked with Monte, ear tweak back and forth.

#7 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

865839806.jpg

#8 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:12

Seems a bit of an ignominious end to a great, great career at the prancing horse. Luca was a link to Enzo & Ferrari's past, but I guess nothing is forever.  Under his leadership, Ferrari's product quality improved significantly & he brought them to tremendous profitability, not bad. I will miss him. 

#9 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:21

And now Botin dies...interesting times coming ahead for Ferrari

#10 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:21

What next for Ferrari? Montezemolo has his quirks, but he knows and loves F1. Marchionne is a tough cookie. Better the devil you know etc

2 scenarios 1) Marchionne gives up Fiat/Chrysler and runs Ferrari as a retirement project or 2) He'll soon hand the reins to Mattiacci

Am sure Mattiacci is destined for the top job. Running Ferrari Asia, North America and the F1 team is perfect training for the role

#11 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:30

We will see what that means for ALO, he was strongly linked with Monte, ear tweak back and forth.

If Fernando has any sense for business (which we know he doesn't), he takes McLaren's offer and leaves. He will be one of the victims of this change, no matter what Ferrari says, this how things work. He will be better off, if he leaves now.

Edited by krumpli12, 10 September 2014 - 07:39.

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:31

If they can find a good person for Team Principal, then moving Mattiaci to head of Ferrari would make a lot of sense, as its a role he'd be far more suited to.

#13 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:44

One possibility is Mattiacci as overall Ferrari president but with more responsibility for the F1 team than LdM had

That could leave the team principal role to a Bob Bell, a Ross Brawn, or a combination of the two. They worked pretty well at Merc..

#14 Tourgott

Tourgott

• 1,149 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:49

Bad decision.

I think he lost his passion about the "new F1" which is bad for F1 too. He was one of the last guys I hoped he could rescue F1.

#15 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:51

Disliked his whining somehow, but somehow his statements make sense. Although he broke off the f1 dream team, he did alot for Ferrari so kudos.

#16 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:52

If Fernando has any sense for business (which we know he doesn't), he takes McLaren's offer and leaves. He will be one of the victims of this change, no matter what Ferrari says, this how things work. He will be better off, if he leaves now.

Ferrari is more important than the F1 team. :)

For everyone other than a McLaren fanatic, Ferrari not McLaren make the better cars and have the better prestige.  It's a fantastic achievement by LdM to outperform their rivals consistently.  All supercar manufacturers make fantastic cars (apart from the unprofitable, struggling Lotus), but arguably Ferrari are still top of the tree making the most desirable supercars in the world.  :up:  :up:  :clap:  :clap:  Amazing.

#17 aguri

aguri

• 418 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:03

A Ferrari is the quintessential sports car. If I had the money I'd be one of the few things I would splurge on. And LdM has maintained that legacy to this day. 

I think it is folly to blame LdM for F1's problems. He is a total competitor and of course he is going to do everything in his power to make Ferrari the best, the fault lies in the F1 management for not keeping him in line. 

#18 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:05

Intriguing Marchionne quote on Luca diM: "Our mutual desire to see Ferrari achieve its true potential on track has led to misunderstandings"

#19 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:12

This post makes no sense whatsoever. Why would Alonso be one of the victims of this change? :confused:

Advertisement

#20 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:22

Di Montezemolo has been an important part of Ferrari, and the F1 team, for many years. He'll be missed - even if this is probably not the time and manner in which he might have wanted to see his involvement come to an end! :up:

michael-schumacher-con-jean-todt-e-luca-

FIAT and Chrysler is an interesting developing situation, we'll have to see how it plays out.

Edited by Nonesuch, 10 September 2014 - 08:46.

#21 taran

taran

• 4,442 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:28

This post makes no sense whatsoever. Why would Alonso be one of the victims of this change? :confused:

Because that's the way things go during revolutions/major upheavels. The old guard and those considered linked too strongly with the ousted leader are deemed impediments to the new leadership. And sometimes, if you are not considered part of the solution, you are considered part of the problem....

I guess you've never studied historical revolutions or changes of leadership in major companies.Both are usually very bloody with lots of dead bodies or careers by the time things settle down again.

#22 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:30

Good luck to him, he has done great things for Ferrari but also some bad things, but the good triumph over the bad. Wrong or bad, I always had the impressions that he was slowing down the F1 team  in recent years and I have no doubt that he was the responsible for breaking the Schumacher team.

#23 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,301 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:30

FCA will be in stock exchange soon and since the whole Fiat Chrysler have nothing desirable there it needs Ferrari inside to spice the stock prices. It is that simple.

Of course after that will mean managers coming and going from Ferrari like they did and do at Fiat, Alfa, Lancia without stability at all destroying centenary brands . That is the status of Fiat Group.

Marchionne who is not at fault for the begin of Fiat Group debacle - that is the hands of Agnellis - but is at fault for not recovering much anything  : Lancia culture is dead, Alfa Romeo culture is almost dead, has only 1 or 2 models, Fiat pretty much has only model 500. 

-----------------

There is reason to blame Montezemolo for Ferrari current racing problems: he hired and let Domenicali there free reign - while Montzemolo went to other projects like the railways one - plus he accepted the recent and not so recent rules changes in F1 that destroyed Ferrari culture of empirical development on track instead of laboratory/wind tunnel. But is to be praised for the Schumacher years and perseverance in wining in F1.

Obviously there is reason to fully praise Montezemolo for what he did to the whole Ferrari all this years. He saved a brand that could have died with its creator.

He changed a Ferrari 348 that had cheap Fiat buttons to an exclusive product that is praised in all magazines and product reviews for driving pleasure in first place.

Montezemolo steps down because he wanted to preserve Ferrari Independence. 

From the disaster that will came from Torino culture, the frivolity of this Agnellis generation. 

The Ferrari culture is at risk. The current excellence culture in factory could end in few years. 

Edited by AlexS, 10 September 2014 - 08:39.

#24 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:32

Because that's the way things go during revolutions/major upheavels. The old guard and those considered linked too strongly with the ousted leader are deemed impediments to the new leadership. And sometimes, if you are not considered part of the solution, you are considered part of the problem....

I guess you've never studied historical revolutions or changes of leadership in major companies.Both are usually very bloody with lots of dead bodies or careers by the time things settle down again.

Usually.

I don't see why Fernando, who is arguably the best driver on the grid and despite all the disappointment still wants to drive for this team should be the one in danger. You can't explain that simply because of what happens usually in historical revolutions.

#25 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:37

If you are linked heavily with the former boss, your position with the new boss won't be too good. And it has nothing to do with personal dislike or with performance, the new boss has to show that he makes changes and will want his own men in the important roles. It is nothing more than power play in the disguise of changing the old methods and men who hadn't been bringing results. Time will tell if Mattiacci is a better man than that, but I do not have high hopes. If you think Mattiacci's high praise of Kimi and very short answers about Alonso is a coincidence, think again. I think Alonso's days at Ferrari are numbered.

#26 peroa

peroa

• 10,779 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:38

FCA will be in stock exchange soon and since the whole Fiat Chrysler have nothing desirable there it needs Ferrari inside to spice the stock prices. It is that simple.

Of course after that will mean managers coming and going from Ferrari like they did and do at Fiat, Alfa, Lancia without stability at all destroying centenary brands . That is the status of Fiat Group.

Marchionne who is not at fault for the begin of Fiat Group debacle - that is the hands of Agnellis - is at fault for not recovering much anything  : Lancia culture is dead, Alfa Romeo culture is almost dead, has only 1 or 2 models, Fiat pretty much has only model 500. 

-----------------

There is reason to blame Montezemolo for Ferrari current racing problems: he hired and let Domenicali there free reign - while Montzemolo went to other projects like the railways one - plus he accepted the recent and not so recent rules changes in F1 that destroyed Ferrari culture of empirical development on track instead of laboratory/wind tunnel. But is to be praised for the Schumacher years and perseverance in wining in F1.

Obviously there is reason to fully praise Montezemolo for what he did to the whole Ferrari all this years. He saved a brand that could have died with its creator.

He changed a Ferrari 348 that had cheap Fiat buttons to an exclusive product that is praised in all magazines and product reviews for driving pleasure in first place.

Montezemolo steps down because he wanted to preserve Ferrari Independence. 

From the disaster that will came from Torino culture, the frivolity of this Agnellis generation. 

The Ferrari culture is at risk. The current excellence culture in factory could end in few years. 

Yep, fully agree...

#27 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:40

One possibility is Mattiacci as overall Ferrari president but with more responsibility for the F1 team than LdM had

That could leave the team principal role to a Bob Bell, a Ross Brawn, or a combination of the two. They worked pretty well at Merc..

This.  Strength in leadership in the F1 team from a bona fide F1 team principal is exactly what the Ferarri team needs in my opinion.  

#28 taran

taran

• 4,442 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:40

I have no sympathy for LDM. He should have remembered that those who live by the sword, die by the sword. LDM has blamed enough people for the lack of success to finally have to take the blame himself. He WAS responsible, after all. Despite wanting to only claim any success available while deflecting blame.

I also disagree with the notion that he saved the racing team. Yes, he managed to harness Ferrari's resources in the 1970s to achieve success but considering their resources they should have won even more (just ask Lauda). In his second career, he only saw Ferrari's direct interests without seeing or caring about F1 in general. He totally missed the fact that a healthy F1 is what Ferrari needs and that the peanuts Bernie handed out would be less than a smaller slice of a much bigger cake. But perhaps most importantly, he didn't realize that Ferrari would have been better off with a budget cap of sorts. Ferrari might outspend garage teams but they don't stand a financial chance against serious players like Red Bull or factory teams because they have much deeper pockets if necessary.

Ferrari's current problems are of his making and require a new leader to get out of.

#29 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:41

If you are linked heavily with the former boss, your position with the new boss won't be too good. And it has nothing to do with personal dislike or with performance, the new boss has to show that he makes changes and will want his own men in the important roles. It is nothing more than power play in the disguise of changing the old methods and men who hadn't been bringing results. Time will tell if Mattiacci is a better man than that, but I do not have high hopes. If you think Mattiacci's high praise of Kimi and very short answers about Alonso is a coincidence, think again. I think Alonso's days at Ferrari are numbered.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

Good luck to Ferrari battling for the championship without Alonso but with Kimi as their #1. :lol: If your theory is true of course.

Edited by GoldenColt, 10 September 2014 - 08:42.

#30 wift

wift

• 225 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:45

Link to these quotes? I think Mattiacci has been pretty neutral commenting both drivers. 

Edited by wift, 10 September 2014 - 08:46.

#31 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:48

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

Good luck to Ferrari battling for the championship without Alonso but with Kimi as their #1. :lol: If your theory is true of course.

Kimi won't be the long-term solution, they will bring someone like Vettel or Hamilton in. Of course, more than likely not for 2015, but 2016. Fernando on the other hand shouldn't wait for that, as his bargaining position will be much weaker by 2016 as it is now.

#32 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:50

Thanks for your service to F1 LDM.

Not my team but you have given yourself to a great team and sport.

#33 taran

taran

• 4,442 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:57

Usually.

I don't see why Fernando, who is arguably the best driver on the grid and despite all the disappointment still wants to drive for this team should be the one in danger. You can't explain that simply because of what happens usually in historical revolutions.

Yes, you are right. Logically, Alonso should be safe. He is still a great driver. But a driver is never just a driver, especially not at Ferrari.

He is also a figurehead, a banner and an icon for particular interests within the team. As Alonso was said to be very close (politically) with LDM, his disappearance is bound to lessen Alonso's power within the team. At the very least, he will have to forge ties with the new leader.

A few examples:

Back in 1987, Berger was the banner for the new technical team around Gustav Brunner while Alboreto was the frontman for the old guard. Alboreto lost out.

In 1991, Fiorio was sacked as TM and the new FIAT managers preferred new hiring Alesi over Prost (certainly not a logical decision).

In 1993, Berger was lured back to Ferrari at considerable expense. Newly appointed team boss Todt gave him a year or so and then preferred Schumacher.

In 2006, LDM forced the signing of Raikkonen, even if it led to Schumacher retiring prematurely, as he fought to retake leadership of the team from Todt.

And that is just at Ferrari. To achieve great success, drivers have to align themselves with the dominant people within the team, be they team principal, technical director of perhaps even just director of finance. Because that provides them with the required support to become the actual #1 driver. So when the dominant person is replaced, there is a new situation. Which can be filled with a new driver, or the previous #2 becoming more powerful or with the old #1 forging new links.

#34 Raest

Raest

• 1,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:10

I have no sympathy for LDM. He should have remembered that those who live by the sword, die by the sword. LDM has blamed enough people for the lack of success to finally have to take the blame himself. He WAS responsible, after all. Despite wanting to only claim any success available while deflecting blame.

I also disagree with the notion that he saved the racing team. Yes, he managed to harness Ferrari's resources in the 1970s to achieve success but considering their resources they should have won even more (just ask Lauda). In his second career, he only saw Ferrari's direct interests without seeing or caring about F1 in general. He totally missed the fact that a healthy F1 is what Ferrari needs and that the peanuts Bernie handed out would be less than a smaller slice of a much bigger cake. But perhaps most importantly, he didn't realize that Ferrari would have been better off with a budget cap of sorts. Ferrari might outspend garage teams but they don't stand a financial chance against serious players like Red Bull or factory teams because they have much deeper pockets if necessary.

Ferrari's current problems are of his making and require a new leader to get out of.

Maybe... But under the caveat that he was ousted because of the F1 team's inability to win and not for his stance on the future of Ferrari as a company. 

For me it's a bad decision and a bad day for Ferrari. I mean we can blame LdM for lots of things but if someone lives and breathes Ferrari it is him and not some FIAT protege. If I was Alonso I would jump ship... Pronto. Things will likely get much worse before they become

any better.

#35 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:14

The sport had moved on to a level of complexity that he could not handle.  His management of the politics was too egocentric and his failure to retain Jean Todt and transition the company out of that era is a very expensive failure.

His going and the passing of the Santander boss will definitely shake some of Alonso's foundation and he might have to establish some new relationships, but that's not unusual.

#36 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,301 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:22

The sport had moved on to a level of complexity that he could not handle.  His management of the politics was too egocentric and his failure to retain Jean Todt and transition the company out of that era is a very expensive failure.

His going and the passing of the Santander boss will definitely shake some of Alonso's foundation and he might have to establish some new relationships, but that's not unusual.

If you think Montezemolo is out of Ferrari because of F1 i have several Ferraris from year 1850 to sell you.

Never Ferrari has been so good like today in products and as a brand.

Edited by AlexS, 10 September 2014 - 09:23.

#37 Knot

Knot

• 666 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:30

If you think Montezemolo is out of Ferrari because of F1 i have several Ferraris from year 1850 to sell you.

Never Ferrari has been so good like today in products and as a brand.

He is out because of F1. Ferrari products and brand are only half of what they do.

#38 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32

Link to these quotes? I think Mattiacci has been pretty neutral commenting both drivers.

Obviously, he is saying all the right PR things, but the shift in tone is there. He was very keen to point out that Kimi's performance was getting better, the team was 100% on his side, and he would be there for 2015. When it comes to Alonso the only substantial thing he said was that he was not there to make Alonso happy. Which can be explained of course, even can be seen as a good thing but the message is there. Alonso's communication has been changing also, he said it was partly good and partly bad that the new boss was not from F1, he also said that he needed proof and not just talk, and from wanting to extend his contract he went to "right now it seems I will see the end of my contract". Things have been happening behind the scenes for a while now, that would be my guess.

Edited by krumpli12, 10 September 2014 - 09:34.

#39 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:32

I think the F1 team is a case in point of the issues faced with LDM.  He is (or was) an entrenched egomaniac and as is often the case, when he spoke of Ferrari, he was really speaking about himself.  Yes, the brand is in great shape but his argument of limited productions though doesn't really hold water when the merchandising and licensing operation of Ferrari is punting out some pretty poor stuff.

Advertisement

#40 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:38

This is the end of an era at Ferrari. Montezemolo has long been an integral figure of F1, and I'll miss his regular speeches about his idea of the future - even if I did disagree with him more often than not. Still, this may well be for the best for the F1 team. I don't know whether it was the lack of results or the dispute with Marchionne that played a bigger part, but I can certainly believe the former as Scuderia Ferrari is of far more importance to the company than any other manufacturers racing division.

You know, I said last year that I could see Ron Dennis being the last of F1's old guard, and it's starting to look like I was right.

#41 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:40

I think the F1 team is a case in point of the issues faced with LDM.  He is (or was) an entrenched egomaniac and as is often the case, when he spoke of Ferrari, he was really speaking about himself.  Yes, the brand is in great shape but his argument of limited productions though doesn't really hold water when the merchandising and licensing operation of Ferrari is punting out some pretty poor stuff.

What? That model is what maintained and in fact increased the prestige and demand for the brand. Ferrari is not Toyota where they mass produce Corollas like sausages...maybe 6000 vehicles a year is a bit low but if the plan is to suddenly make too much over that number it will take a lot out of the brand.

#42 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:40

Why did the silly little cretin go through all that rubbish at the weekend then?  What a total berk.

Bernie will be glad to see the back of him, total pain in the arse apparently

#43 Kimble

Kimble

• 1,240 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:44

What? That model is what maintained and in fact increased the prestige and demand for the brand. Ferrari is not Toyota where they mass produce Corollas like sausages...maybe 6000 vehicles a year is a bit low but if the plan is to suddenly make too much over that number it will take a lot out of the brand.

Where do I say that they should produce Ferrari's like Corolla's?   If they are willing to stick the Ferrari brand all over 3rd party suitcases, laptops and whatever else they can sell then I don't think it's unreasonable for the boss to want to increase the production runs a bit.

#44 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:51

Where do I say that they should produce Ferrari's like Corolla's?   If they are willing to stick the Ferrari brand all over 3rd party suitcases, laptops and whatever else they can sell then I don't think it's unreasonable for the boss to want to increase the production runs a bit.

So you agree that limited production was the way to go? You just don't agree with the number, there's the big difference between what you said earlier and are saying now. 

Anyway the limited models and prestige is what created that market to sell merchandise. I mean damn, here is South Africa we have people putting Ferrari stickers on their Golfs... :lol:

Edit: BTW I will miss Luca, think he did a fantastic job at Ferrari! All the best to him!

Edited by Ncedi, 10 September 2014 - 09:52.

#45 wift

wift

• 225 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:53

This may be a stupid question but what's the situation between Mattiacci and Marchionne. Was Marchionne involved in making Mattiacci team principal or was Mattiacci LDM's decision?

#46 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:01

Something needed to happen and it seems Ferrari are finally making the massive organisational changes that should have taken place well before this year. First team principal, now the president, all within a single year. Probably none of us can tell for sure if Montezemolo had to be replaced or if he was the root of all problems at Ferrari. Most likely not.

In my opinion, this paves the way to Ross Brawn. I have a gut feeling Mattiacci will take LdM's place in order to make room for Ross Brawn. That would probably be the best decision to make on paper. At least for Ferrari as the F1 team. 

#47 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:03

Thanks for all the hard work Luca :up:

#48 krumpli12

krumpli12

• 1,066 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:04

This may be a stupid question but what's the situation between Mattiacci and Marchionne. Was Marchionne involved in making Mattiacci team principal or was Mattiacci LDM's decision?

They are saying Mattiacci is a FIAT man, his making of team principal was already a sign for LdM.

#49 Radion

Radion

• 2,523 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:05

Something needed to happen and it seems Ferrari are finally making the massive organisational changes that should have taken place well before this year. First team principal, now the president, all within a single year. Probably none of us can tell for sure if Montezemolo had to be replaced or if he was the root of all problems at Ferrari. Most likely not.

In my opinion, this paves the way to Ross Brawn. I have a gut feeling Mattiacci will take LdM's place in order to make room for Ross Brawn. That would probably be the best decision to make on paper. At least for Ferrari as the F1 team. 

That would be awesome.  :up:

#50 HP

HP

• 19,631 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:19

Best wishes for the future the Mr. Luca Di Montezemolo