• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:19

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 · 1m
Sad news as Santander chairman Emilio Botin, a big supporter of F1 and Fernando Alonso, dies.

Very sad news indeed. Posting as a topic here because of the possible implications for F1.

Advertisement

#2 xmoonrakerx

xmoonrakerx

• 765 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:21

Alonso to leave?

#3 Vinsin

Vinsin

• 612 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:33

Alonso to leave?

Big jolt for Ferrari, although Alonso is great enough to get by without Luca and now Botin's figure support.

Alonso might leave now to. McLaren or another team, it looks a big probability.

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:04

Ron Dennis: "We're shocked & saddened to hear of the sudden passing of Emilio Botin. The world has lost a great man."

#5 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:20

Sad day today. Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the Chairman Emilio Botin.

#6 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:25

R.I.P, he has supported F1 a lot, not only Alonso. I think F1 will miss him, at least the business side of things.

Edited by kosmos, 10 September 2014 - 08:40.

#7 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:27

Sad news indeed.

Not good for Alonso, he lost a serious patron, and even wors for F1, lost a very strong supporter.

#8 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:28

El miércoles cené con Don Emilio, planeábamos otra vuelta en bici en Singapur... Nos deja un amigo, un gran amigo. pic.twitter.com/P9w672iGsO

On Wednesday I had dinner with Don Emilio, were planning another bike ride in Singapore ... 
Leave us a friend, a great friend.

#9 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:40

Alonso to leave?

I doubt this means anything, Santander has a contract until 2017 with Ferrari and they get good money from their presence on F1 (as reported in their last financial report), even if Botin was the "big fan" of Alonso and F1 inside Santander, is still a good business.

#10 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:57

I dont think I'll ever undersand what counts as a racing related thread or not

#11 Sebastien007

Sebastien007

• 640 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:01

I don't know if that is also bad news for Fernando Alonso, If he leaves Ferrari it is for Mclaren and Santander is sponsor of both Ferrari and Mclaren.

#12 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:06

If the new CEO/Chairman etc dislikes F1 and pulls ALL of Santandar's dollars it would have massive implications for the sport.

#13 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:07

If the new CEO/Chairman etc dislikes F1 and pulls ALL of Santandar's dollars it would have massive implications for the sport.

#14 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:27

Sad news for his family, friends, shareholders and Alonso's accountant.

#15 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:00

I doubt we will see any dramatic changes in Santander's sponsorship. But this was pretty much the product of Botin's love for the sport, and as succesful as it may have been, unless the next one loves it as much as Botin did, they will probably slowly withdraw from F1 in the coming years.

Good thing: No more Santander cheap trophies. 

Neutral thing: this won't change things much for Alonso. He is one of the most recognized "brands" in F1, and no matter how much you dislike him, one of the top drivers. It will certainly bring a number of discreet contacts with his management to see whether he will be more pliant to a team change, though.

Bad thing: The guy truly loved the sport and poured millions not just for the benefit of Alonso, but also McLaren, for example, not to mention many GPs. If there was an equivalent of a "patron of the arts" in F1, he was one of them.

#16 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:04

R.I.P. My condolences to his family, relatives and friends.

#17 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:31

The guy truly loved the sport and poured millions not just for the benefit of Alonso, but also McLaren, for example, not to mention many GPs. If there was an equivalent of a "patron of the arts" in F1, he was one of them.

A great lover and supporter of the sport, Don Emilio is gone.

R.I.P. and thank you for all you did!

#18 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:35

I doubt this means anything, Santander has a contract until 2017 with Ferrari and they get good money from their presence on F1 (as reported in their last financial report), even if Botin was the "big fan" of Alonso and F1 inside Santander, is still a good business.

Usually those reports are written in a way they can justify the spending. 

Sad news for the family though.

#19 NoSanityClause

NoSanityClause

• 1,390 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:01

I know a man that used to work with Mr.Botin. He told me once while discussing Santander's role in Alonso's career that "believe it or not, in the shady world of sponsorships, and, above all, in the very shady world of F1 sponsorships, Botin, is a honest, transparent and sincere lover of the sport. He loves Alonso like a son, but above all he loves F1. He would never go against the ideals of the sport he is passionate about, even to favor Alonso".

http://en.espnf1.com...tml?CMP=OTC-RSS

The fact that they use the word "friend", when talking about a sponsor, shows that Botin was more "human" than most. 

Advertisement

#20 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:13

Very sad. Obviously, most for Botin's family, Santander and the sport of F1. I will miss seeing his smiling presence in the Ferrari garage.  :cry:

I don't think this will affect Alonso much from a business POV, because his quality and value is well known. This has been a big year of upheaval at Ferrari tho, with the incredible disappointment of the F14T project, followed by Domenicali's dismissal, now Luca's and Botin's passing. From an emotional standpoint, Alonso may feel it's the right time to flip the page. But I think that will depend on what and who he knows is coming next, but, regardless, it would be his decision.

Edited by PoleMan, 10 September 2014 - 12:14.

#21 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 11,318 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:14

RIP Emilio Botin.

#22 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:23

RIP.   

Yes, implications could be big for not only for Ferrari but F1 in general.   Santander has been sponsoring 1.5 teams and 3 GPs (huge Sponsorship $).  His daughter (running Santander UK) will probably replace him in the short term but she does not have enough shares to retain control in the longer term without alliances at the board.   I predict more negative impact on F1 as there are parties within Santander questioning Botin's passion for F1.  This will probably play into Flav's hands, Bernie giving him more powers to keep Santander happy and/or work on some plan B.   F1 cannot survive w/o money flowing from Americas and that link goes through Santander for the most part.  

#23 PlatenGlass

PlatenGlass

• 4,653 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:36

This one was made by a moderator...

#24 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,534 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 13:06

It's here as a thread for much the same reason there's a news story about it in the F1 section of Autosport. http://www.autosport...t.php/id/115789

Edited to add: I have removed posts asking/ complaining about this thread. By all means drop a PM if you are confused further, as the rules ask you do for stuff like this.

#25 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 13:25

A top bloke by all accounts. RIP.

In terms of ramifications for their financial contribution to F1:

a) Fred will always be in a top(ish) drive...... and Ferrari would be mad to let him go seeing as Vettel (their initial replacement should Fred leave) appears to have a bit of a chink in his armor when it comes to this generation of cars...... So someone else will defo pick up his tab.

b) Arguably, Santander have their current global presence due to association with F1........ So I reckon they'll stick around for a while yet.

#26 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 15:58

When you think about the number of (albeit fugly) trophies we see each year in a Santander logo shape, plus the sponsorship of two teams, if the new guys has less interest in F1 that's a lof of $'s which will stop flowing.

#27 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 16:14

He's been a good patron for F1. Only RBR seems to have publicly poured in more cash since 2005.

#28 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 593 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 17:14

Alonso to leave?

No short term impact but for 2016-2017 surely...

Edited by autosportfan, 10 September 2014 - 17:16.

#29 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 18:57

Sad news, he looked like really enjoying motorsport and personally friend of Alonso, I read interview with him some years ago. There was a lot of races in which Santander was sponsor of banners, trophies and by that he helped some tracks in difficult financial times. RIP.

Those two will be missed in Ferrari

f1-botin-montezemolo-ferrari-inlin.jpg

#30 Ikebana

Ikebana

• 342 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:16

Her daughter will take over as far I I've read.

Indeed sad news, one of the few likeable banksters out there.

#31 warp

warp

• 1,437 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:42

Descanse en Paz, Don Emilio.

This is bad news for F1 but kind of a hard blow for Alonso's intentions to own a Cycling Team.

#32 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:46

Descanse en Paz, Don Emilio.

This is bad news for F1 but kind of a hard blow for Alonso's intentions to own a Cycling Team.

As far as the rumours go, Santander is not involved, their partner may be someone from Dubai.

#33 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 3,620 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:36

I would like to thank him for his efforts with F1, and contributions that he made to it. RIP!