Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

E-naugural Formula E E-Prix (in China!)

• Please log in to reply
688 replies to this topic

Poll: FanBoost (174 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you vote?

1. Yes I did (44 votes [25.29%])

Percentage of vote: 25.29%

2. No! How dare you (130 votes [74.71%])

Percentage of vote: 74.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:15

"But however mysterious is nature, however ignorant the doctor, however imperfect the present state of physical science,

the patronage and the success of quacks and quackeries are infinitely more wonderful than those of honest and laborious

men of science and their careful experiments."
-- P. T. Barnum

dpshakedown_news.jpg

FIA Formula E Round 1 of 10: Olympic Village, Beijing, China

Track length: 2.15 miles

Number of corners: 20 (9.3 per mile)

Unique 'U-shaped' pitlane: Yes

Number of “E” puns masquerading as engaging ad copy: E-ndless

Just under six months ago, the FIA dragged motor sport kicking and screaming quietly into a new, green age. V8s with battery-powered energy recovery systems were out, V6s with battery-powered energy recovery systems and clever turbos were in. A month and a half after that, battery-, flywheel- and supercapacitor-wielding sports prototypes followed F1's Hybrid Hijinx.

Then everyone complained and stopped watching (although mysteriously Le Mans pulled in the biggest crowd for decades). But there was a backup plan. What better way of drowning out the lack of noise in Grand Prix racing than with even less noise? It was crazy enough to work. Bernie gave Frank Williams a ring to ask him if he had any rechargeable AAs going spare. Williams went one better and provided a Genuine Racing Battery. Dallara let him have a GP2 chassis for the weekend and Michelin donated a truck of LMP tyres. An American telecoms company you've never heard of promised to pay for everything.

And now the future is here! City circuits! Electric cars! Human drivers! Rubber tyres! Nick Heidfeld! Formula Excitement! Formula Excellent! Formula Effing Hell.

Formula Qi

The inaugural Formula E e-weekend takes place in Beijing. You've heard of Beijing, it's in China. But don't just take my word for it! Here's the Formula E official e-site: “With a history spanning more than 3,000 years, Beijing has been an integral part of China's history.”

That's very nice Formula E but for these purposes we're only interested in the last six years of Chinese history. The track goes around some roads laid down to ensure Olympic athletes and entourages didn't have to walk through mud or over pavement cracks on the way to their Olympic venues. Jimmy Carter can pose and posture all he likes about bringing the US e-Prix to Atlanta, but until that happens it'll be the only Olympic e-track on the e-calendar.

001ec949c490149c6fa704.jpg
Anyway. The point is that all these things happen in a specific place at a specific time. Practice, qualifying and the race all take place on the same day, which is such a monumentally good and obvious idea it's amazing it's actually happened in a racing series. They follow each other in the usual order (in China time):

Practice sessions: 8.15 and 10.30 (45 minutes each)
Qualifying: 12.00 till 12.55

FanBoost winners announced: 15.40
Race: 16.00

If you're in the UK the important thing to know is that coverage is live on Freeview's ITV4 and starts at 8am. Radio 5's Miss Jones to James Allen's Rigsby, Jennie Gow, joins Jann Mardenborough in the studio and Jack Nicklaus and Dario Franchitti commentate.

Gimme Shock Treatment

It's time to discuss the Formula Elephant in the room. Formula E is a series with so many gimmicks it resembles what Formula One would look like if it could start with a blank sheet of paper. Music will be played in order to disguise the lack of sound from the cars. In an MTV Awards-style twist, fans can vote for one driver to receive the much-coveted and inevitably mid-capitalized FanBoost. Halfway through the race drivers jump out of their cars, get into the spare and drive off. Personally I don't believe any of these things will happen till I see them, or at least until Dario Franchitti mentions them with his own voice.

formula_e_fanboost-750x400.png

Drivers and teams? Weirdly enough if you were to draw up a meat-and-potatoes, non-glitzy Sensible Formula No-Gimmicks, you'd find a lot of Formula E competitors on that list. Andretti, Dragon, DAMS, Aguri; Da Costa, Buemi, Montagny, Servia. There's also an inexplicable manufacturer tie-in, a Moto3 team, an unintentionally hilarious cheese namesake, and a team called “Trulli”. So fans of those who put the “circus” in the phrase “Continental Circus” will have plenty to gape at.

Amlin Aguri

#55 Fabio Leimer (or so says Wikipedia, everyone else says Antonio Felix da Costa)

#77 Katherine Legge

Is that: Yes, the first sighting of Aguri Suzuki since Super Aguri sailed off into the sunset. Team is sponsored by 'Arry 'Amlin, of Clash of the Titans fame.

Andretti Autosport

#27 Franck Montagny

#28 Charles Pic

Will the Super Aguri never end: Three-time Petit Le Mans winner and owner of a baby F1 career with Super Aguri is back! Franck also raced LMP2 Acuras for Mikey in the long ago.

Thaw_215799.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSI

Audi Sport Abt
#11 Lucas di Grassi

#66 Daniel Abt

No hard feelings: Audi Sport are giving Lucas di Grassi a new car to crash and Daniel Abt a new car to be slow in. Whether it's actually possible to make the cars go fast enough not to be slow, let alone to crash, we'll have to see.

China Racing

#88 Ho-Pin Tung

#99 Nelson Piquet, Jr

China doll: Fan favourite Ho-Pin Tung is joined by Nelson Piquet, Jr, whose shenanigans once caused his Formula One team to be dropped by its title sponsor. Thankfully the world's second-largest economy has no trouble associating itself with him.

Dragon Racing

#6 Oriol Servia

#7 Jerome d'Ambrosio
Remember Dragon? I saw Jay Penske on the New York Times homepage the other day in a non-urination story. Oriol Servia is approaching retirement by degrees and D'Ambrosio is one of those F1 drivers who you can't remember whether they actually raced in F1 or not. Did he?

Edam Renault

#8 Nicolas Prost

#9 Sebastian Buemi

Cheesy does it: Beating Pont-l'E-veque to the Formula E franchise, Edam – a team linked in some way to GP2's DAMS organization – have gone and hired one of the three strongest driver line-ups. Does it matter?

Mahindra-Racing.jpg

Mahindra Racing
#5 Karun Chandhok

#21 Bruno Senna

HRT-rrific: Fresh from not winning in Moto3, Mahindra turn to Formula E with an inevitable driver pairing. They're not bad drivers and Chandhok will have his work cut out schmoozing the media from inside the cockpit.

Trulli!

#10 Jarno Trulli

#18 Michela Cerruti
One-man team: 2005's Jarno Trulli has come out of retirement to write a hit musical, Trulli!, based on his F1 career. The Formula E team is designed to promote the opening night and for all I know Michela Cerruti might be his press officer.

Venturi Grand Prix

#23 Nick Heidfeld
#30 Stephane Sarrazin

Venturi return: Unbelievably, this team is actually related to the Venturi-Larrousse effort from 1992. Hopefully this incarnation of Venturi Grand Prix won't be sold to an on-the-run suspected murderer who is then gunned down by German police.
5014229820_35e7fcbb24.jpg

Virgin Racing

#2 Sam Bird

#3 Jaime Alguersuari

Extra virgin: Two drivers and one sponsor from F1-land, this team is probably the favourite by default. I have no idea whether they'll be quick or not but they're bound to mention how Sir Richard Branson has brought his unique blend of green credentials, space travel and smarm to shoot Formula E into the ionosphere.

Those are the drivers and teams. For some reason, perhaps to do with there not being enough batteries made in case anything goes wrong, there won't be another one of these till November. So enjoy it! Or don't! It could be awful!

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,465 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:25

Finally! Prost vs Senna vs Piquet vs Heidfeld  :up:

Yay for the OP  :clap:

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,156 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:26

http://en.wikipedia....a_E_Circuit.png

Track looks great.  :lol:

#4 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,439 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:27

Genuinely looking forward to this!

#5 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,745 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:31

Track looks great. :lol:

Oh my.

#6 Mat13

Mat13

• 4,002 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:32

This op is the only thing that has actually interested me in Formula-E! I might-MIGHT even turn on itv4 Saturday morning, if I'm in. And if my son isn't watching Ben and Holly's little kingdom.

#7 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,807 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:40

looking forward to the 1st race,i really enjoyed the preview show last saturday

#8 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:44

Can't Wait! 

Wonderful OP, except...

The OP fails to mention Alain...  :cry:

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:52

I'm not mentioning him till he gets in one of the cars and drives it himself.

#10 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:53

I'm glad it's on Saturday, as I'm moving house on Sunday!  I'm certainly intrigued, even if I think the fan-boost and car-swap are ridiculous gimmicks.  The driver line-up is decent and the circuit shouldn't allow the cars' relative lack of performance to be exposed.  In the best tradition of the IndyCar threads, I think that the less seriously we take it, the more we'll enjoy it.

Go Heidfeld!  :clap:

#11 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:58

Wow, OP is great, cheers! :D
Here we are, first ePrix ever.
It's going to be interesting: i've followed Formula E progresses since the reveal of the Spark Renault car, and i'm amazed how it evolved so far.

Alejandro Agag work was stunning, many big names of motorsport are here for the first "pioneeristic" season, and that's just the beginning.
I just can't wait to see this in action, i'm very curious and excited about that

In case you missed something

#12 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:59

Here's the spotter's guide that thegamer23 posted in the main thread.

Audi_Abt.jpg

E_Dams.jpg

Mahindra.jpg

Almin_Aguri.jpg

Venturi.jpg

Trulli.jpg

Virgin.jpg

Andretti.jpg

China_Racing.jpg

(The missing Andretti driver is Charles Pic.)

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:10

Now that it's getting easier to close roads for motor sport in England I reckon someone could promote one of these on the Leeds Inner Ring Road I wouldn't go so far as to say it's exactly like Monaco - although it does feature a tunnel.

But the real advantage would be the name: they could call it the Ee Bah Gum GP. :stoned:

#14 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:35

Track looks great.  :lol:

I imagine the planning that went into that already. It must have been the last job to do before lunch or something...

Thanks, Risil. As an aside, who the hell is Michela Cerruti? Genuinely never heard of her.

#15 MetallurgicalHedonist

MetallurgicalHedonist

• 540 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:48

Yeah, can't wait to see it.

#16 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:50

its sad that the bbc never picked this up also sad that itv don't seem to be promoting it

#17 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:58

Prost versus Senna, yeah I'll be watching! :)

#18 SlickMick

SlickMick

• 555 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:59

Nice OP so I decided to vote. 

Taking into consideration the relative strengths of the teams and the driver pairings I decided to vote for the British Totty - yeah I'm just that kind of guy.

Since I've voted I now feel obliged to watch, so I will, albeit via some iffy torrent that I might be able to find once back from the pub on Saturday night.

Hope it's successful allowing it to get to Season 2 when the teams will be able to really demonstrate their worth - as opposed to Season 1 which I understand to be just a full spec car. 

Looking forward to hearing the drivers on the radio - hopefully there wont be a load of complaints from F1 fans meaning they ban one of the few remaining interesting things that happen during a race!    

#19 LORDBYRON

LORDBYRON

• 1,645 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 23:11

Well seen all the cars are identical this year and the teams cant change anything until next year I reckon bird will win and senna to be second 

Advertisement

#20 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 23:35

Looking forward to hearing the drivers on the radio - hopefully there wont be a load of complaints from F1 fans meaning they ban one of the few remaining interesting things that happen during a race!

I have a distant memory that they don't have a radio - or maybe it was telemetry they don't have :drunk: (I am so bad at remembering things)

Anyhow great OP :up:

I can't wait for the race :clap:, it seems to have taken forever to get here. Its a long time since I was wandering around Donington at the first test.

I quite like the fact they are doing it differently from F1, all city races and hopefully more fan friendly (something F1 gets criticised for not being) and if that means a few gimmicks to make new fans feel involved I can live with it (as long as it doesn't affect the results in anyway  ;)). Hopefully tickets will be a lot cheaper and venues easy to get to. 

I haven't voted for fanboost (as who would I chose? :stoned:) I have lots of favourites already - Edams just because the name is fantastic (and I kind of support Buemi in WEC anyway so why not), Virgin because the cars look great, (and its actually quite an interesting driver line-up) and Mahindra (well Bruno and Karun are driving, how can I not support those 2  :cool:). I'm sure I'll adopt more favourite drivers and teams as the races progress as well :p

Hopefully the racing will be great as that's what will decide if this series is successful in the end (or at least it is for me and if I will make the time to tune in!)

ITV coverage is 08.00 - 10.30 on Saturday with an hour highlights show at 18.00 (I so want this to be good :lol:)

Edit: Just to confirm it's telemetry they don't have so we will hopefully get to hear team radio!

Edited by Exb, 11 September 2014 - 00:31.

#21 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,251 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 00:05

Nice job Risil, the most effective e-PR I've seen so far!

“With a history spanning more than 3,000 years, Beijing has been an integral part of China's history.”

:lol: Masters of understatement.

I want to be optimistic about the series, but the fanvote, and the track don't much inspire confidence. That said, the driver line-up is pretty good and so are some of the teams, so it may well be quite a competitive series. I'm away this weekend but since it's on FTA TV and I appreciate that I'll record it and give it a whirl when I get back.

#22 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:56

Poor Katherine has a terrible case of helmet hair.

I hope the racing is more exciting than the track.

#23 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:20

I'm not mentioning him till he gets in one of the cars and drives it himself.

Prosty_zps75a57605.jpg

:clap:  Now can you, now? Now???  :D  :clap:

#24 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:55

The track reminds me of what happens when you are drawing and there is a bump or a divot under the paper.

#25 paulb

paulb

• 11,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:57

And great OP, Risil!

You've given the series high expectations.

#26 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:08

Freddie Hunt joins FormulaE as a driver Ambassador.  He'll be the spokesman and do some driving.

This is becoming an old home week series.  Senna, Prost, Piquet, Hunt presiding.  Just need Mathias Lauda to get on board... :D

http://www.fiaformul...ambassador.aspx

Edited by bourbon, 11 September 2014 - 06:10.

#27 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:14

I imagine the planning that went into that already. It must have been the last job to do before lunch or something...

Thanks, Risil. As an aside, who the hell is Michela Cerruti? Genuinely never heard of her.

Currwenrly 6th in Auto GP championship having won one race.

#28 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:39

Good morning guys! Some interviews this time!

Sam Bird:

Sebastien Buemi

Bruno Senna

Karun chandock:

Alain Prost

#29 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:17

BREAKING NEWS!
Takuma Sato to drive in Almin Aguri this weekend!!

http://www.fiaformul...a-e-opener.aspx

No Fabio Leimer so

#30 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,085 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:20

Surely Sato will win the fanboost vote then?

#31 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:20

SAAATOOOOOOO!!!!

#32 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:30

Good Lord, I really hope the likes of Charlie Whiting and other FIA goons aren't watching this - that track looks like their wet dream; 90 degree corners and chicanes. Then I just read about all the gimmicks - fanboost? WTH? Oh, and changing cars at pitstops because the battery's aren't good enough. lol. 

Though saying that it should be quite a refreshing series to have, and there are some good names there.  

Where will I be able to watch it on TV? 

#33 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:42

H2qq4HP.jpg

It's always good to come to the People's Republic.

Anyway, the track might be of dubious quality, and the fanboost a total farce, but it's interesting to see new racing series stretch their proverbial legs. Who knows what might come of it?

I wish them all the best. :up:

#34 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:46

Where will I be able to watch it on TV? 

ITV4.

For people whose home country broadcasters are not covering this, you should be able to get ITV4 coverage - entirely legally - through FilmOn.com: look under the UK Live TV tab. FilmOn also have an Android app which can be streamed through a Chromecast if you have one. Not sure about other streaming boxes though.

#35 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:49

Some more pictures: https://twitter.com/...tt/with_replies

#36 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:26

For people whose home country broadcasters are not covering this, you should be able to get ITV4 coverage - entirely legally - through FilmOn.com: look under the UK Live TV tab.

As a bonus, you can also watch Bikini Babe TV on that website.

Go on Richard, admit that was what you were really looking for when you found it... ! :rotfl: :p

#37 stewie

stewie

• 3,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:32

Why not Sato??

#38 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:25

This op is the only thing that has actually interested me in Formula-E! I might-MIGHT even turn on itv4 Saturday morning, if I'm in. And if my son isn't watching Ben and Holly's little kingdom.

That was my question...so ITV4 for me too.  Really smart move to have the first race during a dead F1 weekend, obviously, and I'm pretty stoked about seeing something new which has some good names attached.

#39 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:26

China as the opener looks like a good choice, nothing creates the same excitement for a new series as when they wheel the cars out in glorious sunshine with the blue sky reflecting off the cars surfaces. 

001ec949c490149c6fa704.jpg

Nailed it!

Advertisement

#40 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28

As a bonus, you can also watch Bikini Babe TV on that website.

So I understand *whistles innocently*.

Go on Richard, admit that was what you were really looking for when you found it... ! :rotfl: :p

Actually, I was looking - successfully, I might add - for a live, non-geoblocked feed of Arte! :p Chromecast compatibility was a very welcome bonus.

#41 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:40

With all those grandstands you could almost think they are expecting a huge crowd  :eek:

Anyway, I will be watching. Cya here for some banter come saturday morning   :wave:

去 綠色, 種族 藍色的

Edited by Richard T, 11 September 2014 - 09:49.

#42 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:48

This could be fun. :yawnface:

@ OP: :up: :up:

#43 Ducks

Ducks

• 829 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:54

Lets go DiCaprio lets go! :clap:

#44 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 379 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:56

Interested, hoping to find a stream online! 

#45 Sheepmachine

Sheepmachine

• 3,399 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:46

Great OP Risil! :clap: Hopefully it will be a good stand in for indycar. :)

#46 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:53

The other big winner from my POV is that the early time of the race in the UK means it doesn't impact the weekend significantly.  I don't need to make excuses about having to be back at home for a 1pm start time etc.  Other than getting up early, it's a very low impact event.

#47 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:54

Not a fan of FanBoost and the Benny Hill pitstop midway through the race, but the cars do look pretty good - Indycar please take note. However I fear Risil has set a standard that the series may find hard to live up to :up:

#48 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 17,860 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:43

A little insight with Jaime Alguersuari 

EDIT: Bruno and Karun already having a good time  :lol: 
Immagine.jpg

Edited by thegamer23, 11 September 2014 - 12:46.

#49 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,930 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 13:03

Currwenrly 6th in Auto GP championship having won one race.

AutoGP? Oh dear...

Well, best of luck to her.

#50 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 13:16

Great OP, Risil.  You did however omit the series 'official' mascot.

451a0a7bfb3f2ccd4f4ab021416f7c2b.jpg

Neil