Photo

The Twin Cam V6 as a viable racing engine in the 1960s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:23

An odd question, but what twin cam V6 engines (besides the Ferrari Dino) would have been available for use in a gran prix car in or around 1961? When I say "available," I don't necessarily mean it actually raced, just that it could have been considered for installation in a single-seater.

This past weekend, I had occasion to see something that led me to beleive someone had been considering a powerplant like this to power a formula car. I am just trying to eliminate variables (like a pre-existing engine) as I track down more information about this project.

I'll share more later, but in the meantime, would love any input on possible twin cam V6s; all research I've done from the years 1961-1963 have pointed only to Ferrari—and I really don't think a Ferrari is the engine that was the one under consideration.

Best,

Cris

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:58

Do you really mean twin cam (ie one camshaft per bank of cylinders) or four cam, like the Ferrari Dino engine? If the latter, are you perhaps thinking of the Clisby V6?

http://forums.autosp...8535-clisby-v6/

#3 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:18

Yes, apologies, I even thought for a second about calling it "quad cam" or "four cam" but decided against it. I stand corrected, I meant a V6 with two cams per cylinder bank.

Thank you for the Clisby reference. I fear its existence would have been unknown to the the people whose work I'm researching right now, though.

Do you really mean twin cam (ie one camshaft per bank of cylinders) or four cam, like the Ferrari Dino engine? If the latter, are you perhaps thinking of the Clisby V6?

http://forums.autosp...8535-clisby-v6/

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:47

Clisby's engine was built because of the success of the 1.5-litre Ferrari engines...

He was working on it quite early, but it was a long time in the gestation.

#5 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:48

Yes, apologies, I even thought for a second about calling it "quad cam" or "four cam" but decided against it. I stand corrected, I meant a V6 with two cams per cylinder bank.

Thank you for the Clisby reference. I fear its existence would have been unknown to the the people whose work I'm researching right now, though.

Despite the rather cryptic comment, the Clisby had some international exposure quite early on during its development. These two at least - Dec 62 Motor Racing (UK) & June 63 Sports Car Graphic (USA). That may mean your people had heard about it.

Stephen

#6 Peter0Scandlyn

Peter0Scandlyn

• 727 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:38

Google's not being my friend here.

Aware there was plenty of exposure in magazines etc, how about track exposure? i.e real racing.

#7 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:27

If you mean the Elfin-Clisby on track, then use the link Tim Murray pasted in post 2 and read through the Clisby thread for the events it was entered and run at.

There's a feature on the Elfin-Clisby in the short lived Australian Auto News in early 1965, plus in more recent years, Motor Racing Australia magazine (#25) has a feature.

Stephen