- - - - -

A Visit to Monza

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,124 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 13:12

I thought it might be interesting for fans who went to the Italian Grand Prix to relate their experience so here's my story:-

A Visit to Monza

I have been to Silverstone every year since 2009 but last weekend was my first trip abroad to a Grand Prix & the Cathedral of Speed certainly didn’t disappoint!

I chose to travel with a racing tour company that took care of all my travel & accommodation so that I only had to enjoy myself. The trip got off to a great start when I spotted Will Buxton on my flight and accosted him at the first opportunity! I am usually quite shy but I was so excited to be going to Monza I just had to shake his hand. I think I gave him a bit of a shock as he had just woken up!

Our tour guides go to every grand prix & entertained us on the journey into Monza with anecdotes about drivers & F1 personalities. The drop off & pick up point was at an entrance to the Royal Park very near the circuit. On Friday I wandered around getting to know the track before the crowds arrived. It is much more enclosed than Silverstone & it’s easy to get lost. You go under the track in places & the centre is a crisscross of paths in the woods. After following one I came out of the trees to see the Parabolica spread in front of me – amazing! I watched practice mainly from a covered stand on the main straight as the open stands were too hot for me in the full sun. I was sat opposite the Mercedes garage (I should declare my allegiance to Lewis now…!) with Ferrari’s next door. There was some commotion in the stand nearby & then the Tifosi covered that section with an enormous Ferrari flag. Not to be out done I stood up & waved my Union Jack passionately to the delight and amusement of the Italians around me who were indicating the difference in size. It was a hilarious moment!

Saturday gave plenty of action on the track & as the grandstands were filling up I bumped into David Coultard & Johnnie Herbert on the crowded paths behind the stands. Qualifying was exciting & gave us a taste of things to come . I returned to my hotel in Como tired but very happy – my man was on pole!

Race day meant an earlier start but it was surprising easy to get to the track. The Tifosi were piling in & it was soon very crowded. The atmosphere was building up and the chanting & cheering were all good humoured. My Union Jack flag did look a bit lonely amongst all the Ferrari ones! As the time for lights out approached the tension rose & I had to pinch myself – was I really here?

The race was Monza at its best - fast & furious. I did feel for the Ferrari fans when Alonso went out as it must have been very disappointing. As Lewis took the chequered flag there was plenty of cheering & waving of all sorts of flags. Massa was obviously a popular third. As an older fan I had some reservations about joining the battle to the podium but hey it had to be done! I soon discovered that I could get my elbows out with the best of them & got close enough to get a good view of the podium & nearly smell the champagne - it was just magic. As the fans began to slowly disperse I wandered down the pit straight to pole position just soaking up the atmosphere.

No Monza didn’t disappoint!

Advertisement

#2 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,915 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 13:18

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing  :up:

#3 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,644 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 14:15

That does sound like a trip of a lifetime, but to be starstruck by Wil Buxton is unconceivable. That dude is annoying at best.

#4 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 14:17

Finally someone with a nice experience to talk about regarding F1. I was expecting another rant about how crappy F1 is.

OP :up:

#5 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 14:24

Sounds like you had fun - I put a bit of a summary up in the Grand Prix Travelling section about my weekend but might add some photos later. It was certainly a fantastic experience!

#6 markeimas27

markeimas27

• 138 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:09

Who did you go with? Sounds good. Not sure I would have stayed as far as Como though. 

#7 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,124 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:27

Travelled with Motor Racing International. Only about 45 mins to circuit without some of the long walks other fans have complained about. Enjoyed relaxing day on the lake to finish holiday but must admit my head was still in Monza!

#8 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:35

Thanks for sharing your Monza experiences with us monolulu.  :up: 

#9 Ev0d3vil

Ev0d3vil

• 3,849 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:41

Just a question, who were the ones booing Rosberg?

#10 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:42

Lewis fans might want to club together to buy this lady tickets to the remaining races of the season - 2 GPs & 2LH wins :-D

#11 monolulu

monolulu

• 3,124 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 15:50

Just a question, who were the ones booing Rosberg?

From where I was it was Ferrari fans but I think cheers for 2 out of 3 on the podium was pretty good going for the Tifosi! Seem to remember Lewis was booed last time he won but then of course Alonso was on podium.

#12 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 00:47

Here are a couple of videos/photos of my trip to Monza (hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread monolulu :wave: )

It was my first full GP weekend and first time to Monza. The atmosphere was fantastic and the track has real character as it threads its way through the trees in the park and the setting is beautiful.

On the Friday I made full use of the roving grandstands and started out watching from Grandstand 6 at the 1st chicane and great seats they were too. You get a good look at the braking capabilities of the F1 cars as well as a chance to see plenty of mistakes as the drivers find the limits. I stayed there for the first 30 mins but during the quiet spell after they all pitted to get rid of the 1st set of tyres I made my way across to Ascari and spent the next 30 mins watching from stand 19 at the exit before the final half hour from 15 at the start of the chicane. I then wandered round the top of the circuit (Lesmos and the 2nd chicane) during the GP2 practice as well as checking out the old banking. I started Practice 2 at the 1st chicane again, only this time from the outside of the track (stand 8) and then wandered up the start finish straight by the end, Saturday practice was spent watching from various points around the parabolica before I took my seat on the bleachers on the pit straight for qualifying and the race. I watched the podium from the stands as people had headed off about 10 laps from the end to get in the queue to get onto the track, so I though I would have a better view from up there, although I did venture onto the track afterwards once the crowds had died down a bit. It was a fantastic 4 days (I made it to the pitlane walk on Thursday which was certainly an experience  :p the crowds outside the garages were crazy when the drivers appeared - I stayed out the way up at the top end by the scrutineering bays so got some good views of several cars (both F1 and GP2/3) as the cars came up to be checked. The crowds in the pit lane had nothing on the one outside the main entrance to the paddock though - very difficult to get through when I wanted to get past on Saturday morning on my way to the parabolica, however if you don't mind a big crowd there is a good chance to see the drivers arrive and leave. By Sunday night I was very happy and totally exhausted - there is certainly a lot of walking involved, the plus point with Monza is that at least it is all flat :up:

Practice sessions:

Race day:

Photos:15219471142_004a254835_s.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...57647517710831/

#13 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:11

Excellent thread, though probably more suited to the travelling forum :p

I echo your comments regarding the kind-hearted banter from the Tifosi. I was at Monza for a Lewis win in 2012 and the Ferrari fans were excellent, sincerely congratulatory and good fun wherever we stumbled across them in the bars of Milan.

#14 Madera

Madera

• 372 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:47

I thought it might be interesting for fans who went to the Italian Grand Prix to relate their experience so here's my story:-

A Visit to Monza

I have been to Silverstone every year since 2009 but last weekend was my first trip abroad to a Grand Prix & the Cathedral of Speed certainly didn’t disappoint!

I chose to travel with a racing tour company that took care of all my travel & accommodation so that I only had to enjoy myself. The trip got off to a great start when I spotted Will Buxton on my flight and accosted him at the first opportunity! I am usually quite shy but I was so excited to be going to Monza I just had to shake his hand. I think I gave him a bit of a shock as he had just woken up!

Our tour guides go to every grand prix & entertained us on the journey into Monza with anecdotes about drivers & F1 personalities. The drop off & pick up point was at an entrance to the Royal Park very near the circuit. On Friday I wandered around getting to know the track before the crowds arrived. It is much more enclosed than Silverstone & it’s easy to get lost. You go under the track in places & the centre is a crisscross of paths in the woods. After following one I came out of the trees to see the Parabolica spread in front of me – amazing! I watched practice mainly from a covered stand on the main straight as the open stands were too hot for me in the full sun. I was sat opposite the Mercedes garage (I should declare my allegiance to Lewis now…!) with Ferrari’s next door. There was some commotion in the stand nearby & then the Tifosi covered that section with an enormous Ferrari flag. Not to be out done I stood up & waved my Union Jack passionately to the delight and amusement of the Italians around me who were indicating the difference in size. It was a hilarious moment!

Saturday gave plenty of action on the track & as the grandstands were filling up I bumped into David Coultard & Johnnie Herbert on the crowded paths behind the stands. Qualifying was exciting & gave us a taste of things to come . I returned to my hotel in Como tired but very happy – my man was on pole!

Race day meant an earlier start but it was surprising easy to get to the track. The Tifosi were piling in & it was soon very crowded. The atmosphere was building up and the chanting & cheering were all good humoured. My Union Jack flag did look a bit lonely amongst all the Ferrari ones! As the time for lights out approached the tension rose & I had to pinch myself – was I really here?

The race was Monza at its best - fast & furious. I did feel for the Ferrari fans when Alonso went out as it must have been very disappointing. As Lewis took the chequered flag there was plenty of cheering & waving of all sorts of flags. Massa was obviously a popular third. As an older fan I had some reservations about joining the battle to the podium but hey it had to be done! I soon discovered that I could get my elbows out with the best of them & got close enough to get a good view of the podium & nearly smell the champagne - it was just magic. As the fans began to slowly disperse I wandered down the pit straight to pole position just soaking up the atmosphere.

No Monza didn’t disappoint!

Very much enjoyed reading your post. A very concise description of the event. Nicely done. Glad it all went well for you. It takes a lot of effort and planning to make that happen.